Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016 Free Agent class is not that Impressive

Looking at next years class looks void of top talent compared to past years. If the Colts sign a free agent or two, I`d be looking at Stefen Wisniewski  and Vinny Curry. I don`t think either would break the bank and the Colts would get get value from these two. Thoughts?

12 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

You really think the Broncos are going to let Von Miller reach free agency? They are tight against the cap but will likely have Manning's contract coming off the books.

I think our best shot at signing a real pass rushing talent that is still ascending is Bruce Irvin.  To that end, we'd naturally have to overpay, and I can't say that excites me.  I like to see leadership character and talent intersect to justify big contracts, and I don't think Irvin delivers on that whole equation.

On December 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

You really think the Broncos are going to let Von Miller reach free agency? They are tight against the cap but will likely have Manning's contract coming off the books.

I think Shane Ray plays a big part into that decision. If they think he can be their pass rusher of the future they may not want to overpay for Miller and use that money elsewhere like the OL. 

On December 9, 2015 at 6:03 AM, ztboiler said:

I think our best shot at signing a real pass rushing talent that is still ascending is Bruce Irvin.  To that end, we'd naturally have to overpay, and I can't say that excites me.  I like to see leadership character and talent intersect to justify big contracts, and I don't think Irvin delivers on that whole equation.

Irvin wants to go to Atlanta I don't think he's the answer anyway. The Broncos are going to resign Miller I believe. 

We may not have a shot at signing game changer at OLB. 

We need to fix our pass D that's for sure. 

I'd like to see us sign Wilkerson away from the Jets. They have big money invested in Richarson and drafted Williams. They will probably franchise tag their NT. It will be a big signing. Grig's has been smart and stayed away from big money in FA. I think we should make a strong play for him. 

Then reunite S. Smith with Vontae. That would give us to solid CB's. It may be the best way to address our problems vs the pass.

Unless D. Smith plays lights out I
think we bring in a CB for sure. Even if he does we need more help at CB. Smith's DUI and suspension might scare us away.

Wilkerson and Smith would make us better vs the pass immediately. We get Jones and Anderson back. DL would be a strength of the team. 

Then we hit the draft for our OLB that can get to the QB maybe Floyd or Calhoon fall to us. I think its a fairly deep position this year. We should be able to find some help in the draft.

Spence and Lawson are a couple of wildcards. Both probably have first round talent probably both go day 2 for different reasons. Ngakoue from Maryland is interesting day 2 guy. 

9 hours ago, akcolt said:

Irvin wants to go to Atlanta I don't think he's the answer anyway. The Broncos are going to resign Miller I believe. 

We may not have a shot at signing game changer at OLB. 

We need to fix our pass D that's for sure. 

I'd like to see us sign Wilkerson away from the Jets. They have big money invested in Richarson and drafted Williams. They will probably franchise tag their NT. It will be a big signing. Grig's has been smart and stayed away from big money in FA. I think we should make a strong play for him. 

Then reunite S. Smith with Vontae. That would give us to solid CB's. It may be the best way to address our problems vs the pass.

Unless D. Smith plays lights out I
think we bring in a CB for sure. Even if he does we need more help at CB. Smith's DUI and suspension might scare us away.

Wilkerson and Smith would make us better vs the pass immediately. We get Jones and Anderson back. DL would be a strength of the team. 

Then we hit the draft for our OLB that can get to the QB maybe Floyd or Calhoon fall to us. I think its a fairly deep position this year. We should be able to find some help in the draft.

Spence and Lawson are a couple of wildcards. Both probably have first round talent probably both go day 2 for different reasons. Ngakoue from Maryland is interesting day 2 guy. 

Yep - I'd like to sign a solid UFA CB to replace Toler and use an early pick on a CB to develop with D. Smith. I don't have the same positive vibe about Sean Smith, and in the past he hasn't struck me as a Horseshoe guy, but I don't watch him very specifically.  There are plenty of corners in the market this year to get serviceable play across from Davis while we continue to develop young talent.

As you suggest, pass rusher is the spot we could most use an impact UFA signing but something would have to change in reasonably project players to make that happen.  Looks like it will be best to go to the draft on that need, and add a stop gap in the secondary market.

Given our likely draft position, I'd love to see us go CB in the 1st, OLB in the 2nd, and ILB 3rd unless the right pass rusher is there in the early 20's.  Pass rusher fruit is usually picked over pretty good by 20, but the CB fruit is usually in excellent shape then.