Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stonehart's 2012 Draft First 3 Rounds

You dont know whats gonna happen so take your nonsense elsewhere. Not to mention if we draft luck this d is gonna suck for many years to come

guess you havent been reading anything on here about irsay ALREADY saying he will take luck.

Guess you dont know how to read. That post was all speculation. No truth at all behind it

i am not getting stuck in a luck thread. ill give six million reasons as to why to draft him. you'll give six million why we shouldnt so im done

You dont know whats gonna happen so take your nonsense elsewhere. Not to mention if we draft luck this d is gonna suck for many years to come

That's not necessarily true. A good DC will do wonders for this defense. It might take a couple of years to get the defense where we need it but if Luck is your first pick you are already conceding to rebuild and that is a non-factor.

The big issue here is drafting for the LB core in the 2nd round. I don't think that is the greatest need here. I would go OT, DT, WR, or CB way before I pick for a linebacker.

guess you havent been reading anything on here about irsay ALREADY saying he will take luck.

No he didn't. Schefter and Mort said it. Besides, what is Irsay supposed to say?

"No, we won't take Luck, or even pretend that's what we want. We aren't interested in either taking the BPA, or jacking up his value for potential trade bait."

No he didn't. Schefter and Mort said it. Besides, what is Irsay supposed to say?

"No, we won't take Luck, or even pretend that's what we want. We aren't interested in either taking the BPA, or jacking up his value for potential trade bait."

"There has been no discussion of a deadline push,n just like '98 with Manning/Leaf..u have 2 go thru a long,disciplined process of evaluation" - Jim Irsay

I don't think it could be any more clear than that. Irsay is not going to be bullied into picking anyone by a bunch of media "experts".

i am not getting stuck in a luck thread. ill give six million reasons as to why to draft him. you'll give six million why we shouldnt so im done

Really causes I could give u eight good reasons. And I have yet to see anyone even try an attempt to answer my one questions I have for you luck fans.

But my eight good reasons, well how about 8 draft picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds the next two years. Maybe even an extra 3rd. Sure could make that defense look real good the next couple years. But on another note I'm sure Jim Irsay would say he could give you 28 million reasons why.

But has for that question, let's say we trade Peyton and do take luck and the "experts" are wrong and he's just a average QB at best. Where do we go from there?

Keep in mind cause he's a 1st overall we have to stick with him for his rookie contract(could you imagine mark Sanchez(5thpick) on this team now). and because he's mediocre we finish in the middle of the pack, unable to get another good draft pick to get a chance at another elite prospect QB. not to mention it'll have to be at the end of lucks contract because we would still try to put pieces around him and they wouldn't take another QB high in the draft cause they wouldn't what to make him feel threatened which could delay his progress.

My thought? we could always trade up next year and get Barkley (or the next great QB prospect, they always seem to come up with) if manning shows he's not gonna be able to stick it out for another 4-5 years. If he is who we thought he is, the GOAT, then the players thos draft picks could bring in would almost guarantee sucsess for Peytons successor. It's rebuilding without losing.

Really causes I could give u eight good reasons. And I have yet to see anyone even try an attempt to answer my one questions I have for you luck fans.

But my eight good reasons, well how about 8 draft picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds the next two years. Maybe even an extra 3rd. Sure could make that defense look real good the next couple years. But on another note I'm sure Jim Irsay would say he could give you 28 million reasons why.

But has for that question, let's say we trade Peyton and do take luck and the "experts" are wrong and he's just a average QB at best. Where do we go from there?

Keep in mind cause he's a 1st overall we have to stick with him for his rookie contract(could you imagine mark Sanchez(5thpick) on this team now). and because he's mediocre we finish in the middle of the pack, unable to get another good draft pick to get a chance at another elite prospect QB. not to mention it'll have to be at the end of lucks contract because we would still try to put pieces around him and they wouldn't take another QB high in the draft cause they wouldn't what to make him feel threatened which could delay his progress.

My thought? we could always trade up next year and get Barkley (or the next great QB prospect, they always seem to come up with) if manning shows he's not gonna be able to stick it out for another 4-5 years. If he is who we thought he is, the GOAT, then the players thos draft picks could bring in would almost guarantee sucsess for Peytons successor. It's rebuilding without losing.

Good post, up until the last paragraph. To me it seems like the logic would be to gain many additional draft picks from trading Luck and then using those gained draft picks in a trade scenario to get Barkley or the next great QB prospect next year? Barkeley or the next great QB will also be a very high draft pick and will require a large amount of draft picks in return, similar to Luck. If this were the case, I would argue that choosing Luck may be better in the long run as he is projected to be a better QB.

Either way you look at it, it will be highly unlikely that the Colts will draft in this position again for a long time. If we trade the picks and shore up our defense, with Manning as a QB, we will pick near last for the next ____ years. If we draft Luck, and keep Manning, Manning will continue to play with this team who has shown an improvement in the run game, and have added O- lineman. We'll be choosing at the end of the draft. If we draft Luck and only keep Luck, ( Manning is released, traded, or retires?) then we are in a full rebuilding state. Our defense may change dramatically, as well as our offense. It would be hard to say where we will end up, but unlikely to have the #1 pick.

Good post, up until the last paragraph. To me it seems like the logic would be to gain many additional draft picks from trading Luck and then using those gained draft picks in a trade scenario to get Barkley or the next great QB prospect next year? Barkeley or the next great QB will also be a very high draft pick and will require a large amount of draft picks in return, similar to Luck. If this were the case, I would argue that choosing Luck may be better in the long run as he is projected to be a better QB.

Either way you look at it, it will be highly unlikely that the Colts will draft in this position again for a long time. If we trade the picks and shore up our defense, with Manning as a QB, we will pick near last for the next ____ years. If we draft Luck, and keep Manning, Manning will continue to play with this team who has shown an improvement in the run game, and have added O- lineman. We'll be choosing at the end of the draft. If we draft Luck and only keep Luck, ( Manning is released, traded, or retires?) then we are in a full rebuilding state. Our defense may change dramatically, as well as our offense. It would be hard to say where we will end up, but unlikely to have the #1 pick.

no i only say that because everyone seems to think you need a high pick to get a elite QB, i myself do not believe this. i was just try to please everyone. i feel if you get a raw, young, high potential QB(dont matter the round) to sit behind Peyton and learn he will be great in our system that we create using the picks we get from this trade. lets face it there are just some systems out there that makes it hard for a QB to fail, Sanchez(stats wise and decision making wise hes horrible, the team itself is great), A. smith, Brady(not taken anything from his greatness, altho i hate the guy), and some would argue J. Flacco. can you imagine if these guys(not talking about brady) got the chance to sit back and learn for a couple years, ala Rogers. How many SB would we have won if the system Peyton played in wasnt so flawed? but it starts with the 2 people, he who brings in the talent and he who coaches the talent...get rid of J. Caldwell.

Agreed. While I think he would be an amazing 4-3 LB, it's not a real area of need in my opinion.

Sorry, my post reads horribly, should say "What I'd rather see is if we bring in..." rather than that! Agree with this, I'm happy(ish) with our linebackers. No need for a second rounder on one I don't think :)

Mark Barron is a strong safety not a LB. Barron would be a better 2nd round pick.

I know Barron is a SS...I'm saying Zach Brown is an amazing 4-3 LB......I'm also saying he would be a better 2nd round pick instead of Brown, since Stonehart's mock draft has us taking brown in the 2nd round.

That's not necessarily true. A good DC will do wonders for this defense. It might take a couple of years to get the defense where we need it but if Luck is your first pick you are already conceding to rebuild and that is a non-factor.

The big issue here is drafting for the LB core in the 2nd round. I don't think that is the greatest need here. I would go OT, DT, WR, or CB way before I pick for a linebacker.

Everybody hates on our D, but previous to this year, they made some big plays down the stretch to either win or give the offense an opportunity to win several games. We've been compromised somewhat by injuries the last few years and we still played pretty decent defense. This year, several of our backups were rookies and made their share of mistakes. Our offense sucked, so the defense was on the field a lot and often defending a short field due to offensive turnovers. Yeah, we still neede an upgrade at 2 or 3 positions, but we have a good scheme. If we up our CB talent a little, it will go a long way to solving our defensive woes. Manning and a settled O-line will help the D greatly as well.

NFL.com article Headline Irsay isn't down with speculation its also ARTICLE LINK & BELOW is URL

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Irsay isn't down with speculation its also ARTICLE LINK & BELOW is URL

Colts owner Jim Irsay is tired of reports about what his team will do this offseason with Peyton Manning, the No. 1 draft pick and its GM search. So Irsay turned to a sounding board he knows well: Twitter.

==================================================================

On Sunday, Irsay used his Twitter account to shoot down reports that the Colts and Peyton Manning have discussed moving a March 8 deadline for the team to pay the quarterback a $28 million bonus that will trigger the remaining four years on his contract.

He also addressed reports that he already has decided to take a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick in the April draft.

( though exact tweet below looks like not sure which QB is the discussion BUT may mean anyrhing with Jim like which QB if were to take a QB )

Irsay didn't stop there. He then engaged in a tweef (tweet + beef) with ESPN's Adam Schefter, who reported Sunday on the Colts' search for a general manager to replace Chris Polian, whom Irsay fired along with his father, Bill, last week.

Multiple tweets are in article on this calling Schefter "MISLEADING..come on,your better than that..get your head in the game,son!"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825d3c75/article/colts-owner-...

JimIrsay Jim Irsay JAN 8 As Such u will have to go days back to try & find above and below tweets with URL below

There has been no discussion of a deadline push,

n just like '98 with Manning/Leaf..u have 2 go thru a long,disciplined process of evaluation

https://twitter.com/jimirsay

It's not the DC that's been the problem for the Colts - it's the caliber of players we've had for so long.