Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could We Make Our Draft Selection Now(Or Very Soon),if We Wanted?

I was thinking that 'IF' irsay truly wanted luck or whomever couldn't he select him now?When are we able to make our selection?If i remember correctly,didn't the dolphins draft jake long before the draft a couple of years ago?I think once luck has an agent or declares,then he can be drafted.Does anybody know about this?

P.S.I'm not in favor of drafting luck.I was just curious about this situation.

I was thinking that 'IF' irsay truly wanted luck or whomever couldn't he select him now?When are we able to make our selection?If i remember correctly,didn't the dolphins draft jake long before the draft a couple of years ago?I think once luck has an agent or declares,then he can be drafted.Does anybody know about this?

I think a team with the first pick could start negotiating with potential picks when the league year starts, which is in March.

I think a team with the first pick could start negotiating with potential picks when the league year starts, which is in March.

Because if this is indeed the direction we're going,then he should get it done sooner...rather than later.It would be an act of good faith and give us a jump start on our season.I think the longer this speculation goes on will only tear our fanbase a part and prove that 'luck' willnot be drafted.I can assure you that if draft day arrives and our pick still isn't in,then its not going to be luck.

Because if this is indeed the direction we're going,then he should get it done sooner...rather than later.It would be an act of good faith and give us a jump start on our season.I think the longer this speculation goes on will only tear our fanbase a part and prove that 'luck' willnot be drafted.I can assure you that if draft day arrives and our pick still isn't in,then its not going to be luck.

Finding league dates on the NFL website is not easy, but January 15 is when underclassmen must declare for the draft (something Luck hasn't done yet - no hiring of an agent, no paperwork in to the NFL yet). And the new NFL year is something like a week after the Manning bonus is due, which is why that is a complicating factor. Even if Irsay knows what he wants to do, I would imagine the longer you wait until the draft, the better off you are. I would guess you want to keep your options open as long as possible. On draft day someone could offer something which makes it impossible to turn down. Leverage is a good thing, even if you have made up your mind already.

I was thinking that 'IF' irsay truly wanted luck or whomever couldn't he select him now?When are we able to make our selection?

Has Luck even declared for the draft yet? I don't think that we know for sure that Luck is even going to be part of this year's draft.

The Dolphins signed Jake Long like three days before the draft. I suppose we could begin negotiating with a potential pick, but I wouldn't expect that to happen before Combine or some individual workouts. Honestly, I think Irsay wants to keep everything under wraps as long as possible so we can either entertain trade offers. Speculation and controversy aren't always bad things.

Not allowed.

Goodell wants there to be suspense for the draft so no picks can be signed beforehand. Besides, it does not make any sense to do it now. Much evaulation to be done on all players. Plus they need to get an idea of Manning's health and find out what teams are willing to do in terms of trade.

There's really no reason to sign him too early. I'm all for drafting Luck. With his talent it's a no brainer. But you still have to leave the door open for somebody to call and offer you something ridiculous. Signing him too early eliminates the chance of a desperate trade offer from another team.

Not allowed.

Goodell wants there to be suspense for the draft so no picks can be signed beforehand. Besides, it does not make any sense to do it now. Much evaulation to be done on all players. Plus they need to get an idea of Manning's health and find out what teams are willing to do in terms of trade.

Wow...you sound so coy about Manning being traded...as if it is already done.

Not allowed.

It is allowed. Mario Williams has already signed a contract before he was actually drafted. A signed contract. Indicating to me they were in negotiations LONG before the draft or his actual selection.

As for the benefits? I can't see there being to many thanks to the new rookie wage scale which essentially sets a cap on rookies. However before this it was fairly crucial to sign your rookie ASAP because they let other players dictate there contract. Crabtree is a prime example. He was a 10 pick yet he saw what the 4 guy got and wanted that $ and held out. Signing a pick right off the bat saves the trouble of another team signing the next player in the draft for more $ thus effecting the negotiating for your rookie.

Anyone remember Brandon Burlsworth? Unfortunately that could happen to anyone and there would be no reason to sign Luck/RGIII or anyone this far in advance of the draft. Yes Burlsworth died after the draft, but as others have pointed out there is no reason to do it this far in advance because anything could happen, ACL, rotator cuff, etc.

Whenever we get a front office, they need to look at every throw Luck/RGIII have made, and look at each offer that they receive for the #1 pick and make the best decision possible. Once we know more about Manning's recovery, it will the reveal how many options we actually do have.

We don't know if Luck would enter the draft at all, and he hasn't signed any agency to represent him, so right now it is difficult to negotiate with him.

By the way, I don't know much rules of draft, but is a collage player allowed not to enter the draft and sign directly to a team??

Surely I am a jerk for not knowing the answer (I feel the answer is NO).

It is allowed. Mario Williams has already signed a contract before he was actually drafted. A signed contract. Indicating to me they were in negotiations LONG before the draft or his actual selection.

As for the benefits? I can't see there being to many thanks to the new rookie wage scale which essentially sets a cap on rookies. However before this it was fairly crucial to sign your rookie ASAP because they let other players dictate there contract. Crabtree is a prime example. He was a 10 pick yet he saw what the 4 guy got and wanted that $ and held out. Signing a pick right off the bat saves the trouble of another team signing the next player in the draft for more $ thus effecting the negotiating for your rookie.

I understand that is has been done before, very recently in fact with Stafford. But Goodell wants their to be suspense with the draft so teams are not allowed to sign a player in advance of the draft any longer.

Why would you want to??

It's not so much an issue now with the rookie cap and all, but prior to that it made sense to make sure you were drafting a guy you could actually get signed so they can start from camp on day one.

Now is a bit early to be doing that (plus we have other pressing issues) but if they decide that Luck is their guy and that's what their doing with the pick might as well start negotiating the moment you make the decision to make sure there is no threat of a holdout.

I understand that is has been done before, very recently in fact with Stafford. But Goodell wants their to be suspense with the draft so teams are not allowed to sign a player in advance of the draft any longer.

Was that part of the New CBA then? I didnt know anything about that

The Dolphins signed Jake Long like three days before the draft.

Let me nitpick. The Dolphins agreed to terms with Jake Long before the draft. Lions did the same with Stafford, Texans did with Mario Williams (after they failed to get terms with Reggie Bush).

Under the old CBA, you could begin negotiating once the salary cap and all that stuff is settled, and that's not until the league year starts. Now, we get the slotted salary figures for draft picks at that time, and negotiating is reserved for guarantees under the rookie model. After last year, the precedents are pretty well set, so the guarantees should be no problem.

There's no reason to make a decision before the draft. If Luck gets diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in both knees a week before the draft, that might change your decision making. Take all the time you have and make the decision you think is best once you have all the information.

By the way, I don't know much rules of draft, but is a collage player allowed not to enter the draft and sign directly to a team??

You are correct, they have to go through the draft. Not a jerk at all. I doubt that anybody here would be capable of carrying on a conversation with you about soccer - in Hungarian. More power to you.

The draft was implemented to control the process of bringing young talent into the league. Without it there would be chaos, with the wealthier and more successful clubs always getting the best players and dominating year after year after year.

???

I responded to whether or not Luck can be signed now and not one single thing to do with Manning being traded.

I don't intend to argue but you did in fact talk about Manning's injury and what teams want to trade for him as if it's a done deal. ...From the end of your post..." Plus they need to get an idea of Manning's health and find out what teams are willing to do in terms of trade."

I don't intend to argue but you did in fact talk about Manning's injury and what teams want to trade for him as if it's a done deal. ...From the end of your post..." Plus they need to get an idea of Manning's health and find out what teams are willing to do in terms of trade."

Follow me here. If they were able (they are not) it makes no sense to draft Luck now because...

1) There is still evaluation to be done on all players

2) They need to an idea of Manning's health

3) Investigate what teams are willing to offer in a trade for the # 1 pick.

The draft was implemented to control the process of bringing young talent into the league. Without it there would be chaos, with the wealthier and more successful clubs always getting the best players and dominating year after year after year.

That's what the supplemental draft is for. You can't just bypass the draft. If you enter the draft and don't get picked, you can sign wherever they'll have you. If you don't enter the draft, and later want to enter the NFL, they have to approve you for the supplemental draft (did your eligibility change after the draft, etc.) and then there's a silent bidding/waiver system among the 32 teams. If no one bids on you during the supplemental draft, I believe you can sign wherever they'll have you, but I'm not sure.

You are correct, they have to go through the draft. Not a jerk at all. I doubt that anybody here would be capable of carrying on a conversation with you about soccer - in Hungarian. More power to you.

Thanks for Your answer.

I think he is going to enter draft.

I wonder which agency will represent Luck on draft.

Let me nitpick. The Dolphins agreed to terms with Jake Long before the draft. Lions did the same with Stafford, Texans did with Mario Williams (after they failed to get terms with Reggie Bush).

Under the old CBA, you could begin negotiating once the salary cap and all that stuff is settled, and that's not until the league year starts. Now, we get the slotted salary figures for draft picks at that time, and negotiating is reserved for guarantees under the rookie model. After last year, the precedents are pretty well set, so the guarantees should be no problem.

There's no reason to make a decision before the draft. If Luck gets diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in both knees a week before the draft, that might change your decision making. Take all the time you have and make the decision you think is best once you have all the information.

Thank you for clarifying,

I remember when Peyton was going to be the #1 pick he wanted it to be officail asap so he could start working with the OC on the Colts to learn the offence. This didn't happen maybe because the Colts weren't 100% sure they were taking Peyton or Leaf.

We don't know if Luck would enter the draft at all, and he hasn't signed any agency to represent him, so right now it is difficult to negotiate with him.

Luck is entering the draft, he's already said he is.. that was when he was receiving the Johnny Unitas award.

Has Luck even declared for the draft yet? I don't think that we know for sure that Luck is even going to be part of this year's draft.

Not offically as far as I know. He has all but said he is coming out though but yes he has yet to make it offical so even if we could draft him now (which we can't) we wouldn't be able too because he's yet to make it offical that he is leaving college.

Not offically as far as I know. He has all but said he is coming out though but yes he has yet to make it offical so even if we could draft him now (which we can't) we wouldn't be able too because he's yet to make it offical that he is leaving college.

He has until the 15th.

Follow me here. If they were able (they are not) it makes no sense to draft Luck now because...

1) There is still evaluation to be done on all players

2) They need to an idea of Manning's health

3) Investigate what teams are willing to offer in a trade for the # 1 pick.

Please don't try to act as if I you have to hold my hand and walk me through it. You know what you meant. It is not a given that we should. Sure it makes sense now that you have separated it. But when you originally wrote it you had talk of manning health and trade value in the same sentence without separating the two and o mention of if the trade value was for Manning or the pick. Reading it on face value it sounds like you were talking about Manning. Which brings us back to my original comment. Did you follow me there?

Please don't try to act as if I you have to hold my hand and walk me through it. You know what you meant. It is not a given that we should. Sure it makes sense now that you have separated it. But when you originally wrote it you had talk of manning health and trade value in the same sentence without separating the two and o mention of if the trade value was for Manning or the pick. Reading it on face value it sounds like you were talking about Manning. Which brings us back to my original comment. Did you follow me there?

Manning can't be traded - league rules & salary cap hit. Even if it were a possibility, I don't believe Irsay would ever trade Manning. Manning will be released outright or be on the Colts next year. Those are the realities and what I believe. So with that, I would never have been "coy" in suggesting Manning will be traded, or however you phrased it in your first post. So when I tell you that I mentioned the research that still needs to be done, it is for the rights to the # 1 pick. Nothing else. Whether I did not make that clear enough or you failed to comprehend, the point is I was talking the pick.

Signing the overall #1 prior to the draft makes sense. You don't have the worry of using a valuable pick on a guy who might enter into a prolonged holdout (e.g., Andre Ware/Jamarcus Russell). I think Jerry Jones made the decision he wouldn't use the first pick on someone who wasn't under contract. Seems smart to me.