Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Hasselbeck (26 of 42, 315)

oldunclemark

Are we still question what we pay Matt 'for holding a clipboard)?

..He'll get two more key starts..at Pittsburgh and at Jacksonville....tough assignments but not the top teams

..anyway it goes, the best part of this season is that we were prepared for what we could not have

foreseen(an injury to Andrew) and we're on line to take the division head-to-head against Houston..

I was thinking during the game - Could Luck have played any better?

MH plays a controlled game, a lot like Brady. He rarely throws into coverage, dumps the ball instead of forcing it or taking a sack, and when he tries to run, he doesn't take a hit.

Also, he'll look to someone other than TY when we need the yards.

Hopefully Andrew has been studying his style.

MH plays a controlled game, a lot like Brady. He rarely throws into coverage, dumps the ball instead of forcing it or taking a sack, and when he tries to run, he doesn't take a hit.

And Winston running style too. Sliding and going out of bounds. Also noticed Matt looked a bit hurt on the sideline

I want Andrew healthy to play the way he plays..

It worked big time for 3 years.

But Matt showed what he showed in his prime...that he can give his side a chance to win against almost anybody

And Winston running style too. Sliding and going out of bounds. Also noticed Matt looked a bit hurt on the sideline

Jameis impressed me. His line was doing him no favors yet he looked poised and mostly was accurate. He's going to be a good one. Luck keeps saying he needs to learn how to slide, but old habits....

About MH, I heard him interviewed later, he didn't say anything about an injury. He did take a few hits though. I thought the refs missed several roughing the passer calls on both sides. All in all, a really badly officiated game.

I want Andrew healthy to play the way he plays..It worked big time for 3 years.But Matt showed what he showed in his prime...that he can give his side a chance to win against almost anybody

I want Andrew to play for another 15 years. That would never happen the way he's played. He has to get rid of the ball quicker, and learn to slide!

Jameis impressed me. His line was doing him no favors yet he looked poised and mostly was accurate. He's going to be a good one. Luck keeps saying he needs to learn how to slide, but old habits....

About MH, I heard him interviewed later, he didn't say anything about an injury. He did take a few hits though. I thought the refs missed several roughing the passer calls on both sides. All in all, a really badly officiated game.

I agree with Jameis impressing and like I said luck needs to copy that.

For the hasselbeck part it's just when he came off the field away from the play he was bending over and whitehurst was warming up in the 4th

They honestly need to just sit Luck the rest of the season. All we've got left is the Steelers and the division. Matt could probably win all of those games. Just let Luck get healthy for the playoffs.

You wouldn't really replace Matt with Luck if Matt leads the team to a 10-6 record, would you?

I want Andrew healthy to play the way he plays..

It worked big time for 3 years.

I don't think the team currently has the personnel to support Lucks style of play.   The offensive line isn't great and the receivers are not able to out jump the defenders for the ball.  However, if Luck learned from Matt's time in there that he needs to drop back and release quickly, he could be very successful.  

They honestly need to just sit Luck the rest of the season. All we've got left is the Steelers and the division. Matt could probably win all of those games. Just let Luck get healthy for the playoffs.

Luck needs to play as soon as he's medically cleared to do so...even if it's the final game of the season and the playoff seeding is already locked in place.  I'd rather Luck knock the rust off in a meaningless regular season game than a playoff game.

Hasselbeck: Good for the Health/Heart

Luck: Bad for the Health/Heart

I'm just more relaxed watching the offense with Hasselbeck in there. Doesn't make the forced throws, just plays smart

Luck on the other hand, I'm on the edge of my seat, cringing every time he throws the ball, screaming when he has forever to throw but holds the ball, & exhaling with enough air to supply the earth when the pass is complete

Stressful being a :colts: fan

:scorebad:

He's been hurt since the Buffalo game...

I want him healthy and they turn him loose....

Meanwhile Matt can hold things down 2 more games

If by "turn him loose" you mean he goes back to holding the ball too long and taking big hits when he runs the ball - that's what got him injured.

Just run the same game plan as when MH is in there.  Dump it off when there's no one open.  Live to play another down.

There will be a ton of 2nd guessing and then some if Luck bombs out in a playoff game.

There will always be critics.  That is the right move to make though.  We know what both are capable of and we all know Andrew has the higher ceiling.  Whether it turns out that way is TBD, but you must put the best guy in there to do the job any given Sunday.  It would hurt if Andrew laid an egg after coming back, because we do know Matt can manage this team.  However, when it comes to powerhouses NE & DEN we need Andrew.  He simply makes big plays when it is needed.

Regardless, in the offseason, I'm fairly confident we will beef up the OL (and pass rush on a different note)!  It is critical for the future of Luck and the franchise...

If Matt wins out and drive the Colts to the playoffs while helping Luck heal for about 2 months, I would be conflicted on who to start in the playoffs. I would worry about Luck rustiness. I have to lean more on the hot hand. This reminds me of the 2001 Patriots but reveres the ages. Tom Brady comes in after veteran Bledsoe got injured. Brady lead the Patriots to the playoffs. Even though Bledsoe got healthy again, BB went with the hot hand in the playoffs. I dare say let MH lead us to the Superbowl and then let Luck play in the Superbowl. Everyone Wins. 

If Matt wins out and drive the Colts to the playoffs while helping Luck heal for about 2 months, I would be conflicted on who to start in the playoffs. I would worry about Luck rustiness. I have to lean more on the hot hand. This reminds me of the 2001 Patriots but reveres the ages. Tom Brady comes in after veteran Bledsoe got injured. Brady lead the Patriots to the playoffs. Even though Bledsoe got healthy again, BB went with the hot hand in the playoffs. I dare say let MH lead us to the Superbowl and then let Luck play in the Superbowl. Everyone Wins. 

That last part was sarcasm, right? :P

We know what both are capable of and we all know Andrew has the higher ceiling. 

For future years I agree.    This year with this offensive line and these receivers, I would go with Matt.  We can all acknowledge that Luck digressed in 2015.   I think it was the personnel mostly.  

This team seems to be geared to play a west coast type of offence.  Runs, short quick passes with the occasional mid to deep range pass.  

For future years I agree.    This year with this offensive line and these receivers, I would go with Matt.  We can all acknowledge that Luck digressed in 2015.   I think it was the personnel mostly.  

This team seems to be geared to play a west coast type of offence.  Runs, short quick passes with the occasional mid to deep range pass.  

I wouldn't say Luck regressed. I agree that it definitely had to do with personnel and injury, but mostly to do with coaching. The play calling was consistently awful early this season. He definitely made poor decisions, but you change that OC out sooner and this team and Luck are almost instantly right on track. I'm not sure Chud is the answer but his adjustments and calls are leagues above Pep. 

Could it be that having Luck on the sidelines is helping Hasselbeck be more successful in our current offense scheme. It seems that everything we see in the media that these 2 QBs do get along. Hasselbeck has repeatedly said positive things about Luck and vice versa. Maybe having luck call in the plays and be part of that process has helped this offense. Makes you wonder if Luck would be a good coach after his hopefully long career is over.

Could it be that having Luck on the sidelines is helping Hasselbeck be more successful in our current offense scheme. It seems that everything we see in the media that these 2 QBs do get along. Hasselbeck has repeatedly said positive things about Luck and vice versa. Maybe having luck call in the plays and be part of that process has helped this offense. Makes you wonder if Luck would be a good coach after his hopefully long career is over.

I suppose it could be a benefit.    But Matt looks just like he did when he was in Seattle.   It works for this team.   Not sure credit is due to Luck for Matt running this offense so well.  

MH has played at such a high level. He's played better than half of the QB's in the league. His throwing accuracy has been top shelf. His pre-snap reads have been top shelf and his decisions on busted plays has been top shelf. MH has kept this season from being flushed. He's the reason this team is in the hunt.

MH has played at such a high level. He's played better than half of the QB's in the league. His throwing accuracy has been top shelf. His pre-snap reads have been top shelf and his decisions on busted plays has been top shelf. MH has kept this season from being flushed. He's the reason this team is in the hunt.

colts fired Pep Hamilton is why the colts are in the hunt! Pep made everything more overly complicated for Luck. I'm not saying Hasselbeck hastn't done one hell of a job!

I don't think the team currently has the personnel to support Lucks style of play.   The offensive line isn't great and the receivers are not able to out jump the defenders for the ball.  However, if Luck learned from Matt's time in there that he needs to drop back and release quickly, he could be very successful.

To win in the ost-0season, we need much more offense..

Matt is doping exactly what we need but keep in mind, Andrew faced New England and Carolina and Buffalo..

Matt has faced lesser teams and he's saved the season.

But Luck is still one of the 4 or 5 best QBs in the NFL when healthy.

You don't want to turn Andrew into a game manager...we need him to win games for us

18 hours ago, Myles said:

I suppose it could be a benefit.    But Matt looks just like he did when he was in Seattle.   It works for this team.   Not sure credit is due to Luck for Matt running this offense so well.  

The commentators during the Bucs game were mentioning this and talked about how Luck has such a good grasp of the offense and has been a big help to Hasselbeck.

Luck should be the QB when he is healthy. Hopefully that is by at least Miami. I would like to see him get a couple of games in before the playoffs. 

I am a little surprised anyone thinks Matt can take us farther than Luck. I'm still hoping Matt can just stay healthy until Luck is back. 

3 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Luck should be the QB when he is healthy. Hopefully that is by at least Miami. I would like to see him get a couple of games in before the playoffs. 

I am a little surprised anyone thinks Matt can take us farther than Luck. I'm still hoping Matt can just stay healthy until Luck is back. 

Yeah for us to go anywhere in the Playoffs we need Andrew IMO. Love what Matt is doing though and appreciate his play. I hope Andrew is back for the Texans game. We have never lost to them here but they are playing great right now. That game will probably decide the Division.