Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denzelle Good

C0lts088

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keyed on Good from my seat at LOS. Tons of positives. I'd describe his feet as something close to ballerina-like. Future bookend RT opposite Castonzo for a decade. We can move Reitz inside to RG or let him be the incredible 5-* super sub plus 6th lineman-jumbo. We draft the best C in draft. We have a good oline going into 2016. I'm one who thinks our line is decent now. Got a ton of incorrect/lemming critique due to Peps stupid vertical route trees and Luck's ball-holding.

He played better than expected for a rookie from a small school. To proclaim him as a future starter...or not one at all...is simply conjecture.

Although at this point, Grigs looks smart to have drafted him in the 7th and not waiting for him to hit the UDFA market last spring.

Because he's a 7th round pick from Mars Hill. As much as you all want to belive that doesn't make a difference, it does.

Randy Moss was from Marshall. Unheard of until after Moss made it to the big leagues. Rothlesburger is from Miami of Ohio and he has a couple Super Bowl rings. It's possible for small teams to produce big talent. Circumstances sometimes takes the players into different directions

I don't agree with Dustin on school and draft position defines you, but I do agree that people are inflating him. He did worse than what he showed in the preseason and needs some fundamental work. Everyone discounts Reitz but he played great today. Mewhort may have masked some of his flaws but he did play well.

Being an inactive rookie for the first 10 games of the season, you'd expect false starts. Being thrown into the fire without any regular season experience is tough on anyone.

But Good's play was not bad.  He gave up 2 pressures, no hits, no sacks.  The couple times they ran his  way he blocked well -except that time he face a corner and the corner dove under him to make the play, not Good's fault, just great play by the corner.-

He had a horse collar tackle after the fumble recovery by the Bucks. -How many times do O-linemen practice tackling? -

The guy moves well, strong, good technique, and kept his QB clean for his part most of the game.  More experience will shake rookie jitters and lessen penalties.

Not saying he's a future HoF,...but definitely worth more looks.

Being an inactive rookie for the first 10 games of the season, you'd expect false starts. Being thrown into the fire without any regular season experience is tough on anyone.

But Good's play was not bad.  He gave up 2 pressures, no hits, no sacks.  The couple times they ran his  way he blocked well -except that time he face a corner and the corner dove under him to make the play, not Good's fault, just great play by the corner.-

He had a horse collar tackle after the fumble recovery by the Bucks. -How many times do O-linemen practice tackling? -

The guy moves well, strong, good technique, and kept his QB clean for his part most of the game.  More experience will shake rookie jitters and lessen penalties.

Not saying he's a future HoF,...but definitely worth more looks.

Yes.  A voice of reason.

Where did I see Reitz mentioned?  Reitz played the entire game at LT.  Reitz LT the whole game!!

Good only had trouble with the quicker 4-4 end.  He dominated the big players that lined up against him.

So yes, Good is a future RT!!!   Reitz plays well every position he plays!!  Why do we even bring up Reitz here?

I obviously meant 4-3....:)

I thought he did a fine job. He made some mistakes, but he is a 7th round rookie.

He played alot better than I expected. I think our offensive line has the potential to be good. Couple of areas that need improvement, but I think the arrow is pointing in the right direction.

I think good was not the worst part of the oline yesterday and that's pretty good considering he was a 7th round pick, from a small school playing in his first real NFL action ever. I want 1 of 4 things though come next year

1. A new oline coach to get better run production from this group we have

Or

2. A first round pick at guard or center because I want the best talent we can get to mold

Or

3. Allow the coaches make personnel decisions without Griggs interfering if in fact that's the case.

Or

4. Top FA center/RG to repair the online gaps in the center

Under 100 yards rushing for this team should not be happening with Gore running the ball but to have under 30, that's criminal and has to be addressed. Good has raw talent that can't be coached in with size and reportedly great feet movement. Now you just have to get him top level NFL experience and good coaching, and that is not something we have seemingly on this team.

Outside of the penalties I didn't happen to notice Good getting blown up and many plays.  It was a good start for the young rookie and hopefully he can grow from here. 

Not sure how long AC will be out, but this is great experience for the rookie that is sure to pay off. 

MH helped out his O-line by throwing a lot of quick hits which negated much of the pressure that was coming from the middle.

Overall, a nice game by the rookie with a few things that can be cleaned up.

Pretty tough crowd on here. The kid was tossed into the fire and but for a couple of penalties did a darn good job. Is it not true that offensive linemen take time to develop? If so, I think this guy has a solid future. And for a 7th round pick, even having him show up in uniform during the regular season is beating the odds in a big way.

Now, if you want to criticize someone, who was responsible for all that pressure up the middle, not to mention the inability to run all day long? Mr. j. Harrison, take a bow!

Pretty tough crowd on here. The kid was tossed into the fire and but for a couple of penalties did a darn good job. Is it not true that offensive linemen take time to develop? If so, I think this guy has a solid future. And for a 7th round pick, even having him show up in uniform during the regular season is beating the odds in a big way.

Now, if you want to criticize someone, who was responsible for all that pressure up the middle, not to mention the inability to run all day long? Mr. j. Harrison, take a bow!

Almost anytime Harrison is in the game it seems we are never able to run the football.  And they just keep putting him back out there time after time.

I think good was not the worst part of the oline yesterday and that's pretty good considering he was a 7th round pick, from a small school playing in his first real NFL action ever. I want 1 of 4 things though come next year

1. A new oline coach to get better run production from this group we have

Or

2. A first round pick at guard or center because I want the best talent we can get to mold

Or

3. Allow the coaches make personnel decisions without Griggs interfering if in fact that's the case.

Or

4. Top FA center/RG to repair the online gaps in the center

Under 100 yards rushing for this team should not be happening with Gore running the ball but to have under 30, that's criminal and has to be addressed. Good has raw talent that can't be coached in with size and reportedly great feet movement. Now you just have to get him top level NFL experience and good coaching, and that is not something we have seemingly on this team.

Our o-line coach (Gilbert) is not effective, which is not to say he is totally incompetent. Players are under-performing. I wonder if Werner would respond to a better o-line coach (along with a more strategic head coach)? Remember that terrible, untalented Jerry Hughes (defensive coaching)?

IOW, why go out an get great talent and never develop performance? What a waste!

The oline is not bad.  I didn't get to watch much of the game but Good played well (for a 7th round rookie seeing his first real NFL action in his career) but it looks like he is still at least an offseason away from being reliable at the RT spot.  Reitz is the man.  Thornton has really been the best Colts lineman for the past several weeks (again I didn't get to see the Tampa game so I don't know how he played in that).  Mewhort is progressing well at the LG spot and AC is AC.

I still don't understand the Harrison switch though.  Every time I watch him I have to wonder how he is even in the NFL.  He's just plain bad.  If the Colts don't like Holmes then fine but at least leave him in there until next year.

I was interested in the running stats because it seemed earlier in the year the Colts had a good running game that was under utilized but now they have a bad running game.  So I looked it up, I took out QB runs because those are not running plays, they are usually pass plays that break down for one reason or another.

With Harrison as the starting center the Colts have:

109 rushes for 281 yards (2.58 ypc) 1 TD

With Holmes as the starting center the Colts have:

122 rushes for 509 yards (4.17 ypc) 3 TDs.

Not to mention the increase in hits and sacks on AL/MH.   Is the drop off all on Harrison... probably not, some of it has to do with Chud's running plays but a large portion of it falls  on Harrison and is lack of ability.

The oline is not bad.  I didn't get to watch much of the game but Good played well (for a 7th round rookie seeing his first real NFL action in his career) but it looks like he is still at least an offseason away from being reliable at the RT spot.  Reitz is the man.  Thornton has really been the best Colts lineman for the past several weeks (again I didn't get to see the Tampa game so I don't know how he played in that).  Mewhort is progressing well at the LG spot and AC is AC.

I still don't understand the Harrison switch though.  Every time I watch him I have to wonder how he is even in the NFL.  He's just plain bad.  If the Colts don't like Holmes then fine but at least leave him in there until next year.

I was interested in the running stats because it seemed earlier in the year the Colts had a good running game that was under utilized but now they have a bad running game.  So I looked it up, I took out QB runs because those are not running plays, they are usually pass plays that break down for one reason or another.

Not to mention the increase in hits and sacks on AL/MH.   Is the drop off all on Harrison... probably not, some of it has to do with Chud's running plays but a large portion of it falls  on Harrison and is lack of ability.

I was really impressed with Reitz at LT. It seemed more natural to him than RT. I always felt Reitz's natural fit was on the left side. When he and Castanzo worked together, that left side flourished, at least that is what I saw. 

I was really impressed with Reitz at LT. It seemed more natural to him than RT. I always felt Reitz's natural fit was on the left side. When he and Castanzo worked together, that left side flourished, at least that is what I saw. 

He has Much better footwork on the left.   :thmup:   If any OL change that was going to happen over the last 6 years was made, I had Reitz on the left side.

Reitz has finally grown into his weight and it shows.  He will never be considered fleet of foot but he moves well, has very good functional strength and seems to have excellent field awareness.  Too bad he is 30 years old, even with that though I think he has a good 4 or 5 years left in him.

CD, I've been saying this for a while now.  Our Oline while not Dallas gets a bad rap.  And it's certainly not helped by the parroting lazy talking heads out there that go for the simplistic answer.  The best thing I can say about Good was that if not for all the talk about him, I really wouldn't have noticed him.  He did fine.

I also share your opinion on Harrison.  I haven't watched the game in breakdown yet, but everytime I do with Harrison, I come away shaking my head.  Holmes should be in there.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but go check out his post game interview on the field on Colts.com.  That has to be one of the best interviews I've seen!  The guy seems humble, intelligent with a bit of quiet confidence.  You can't help but root for that guy!

By the way, the guy scored a 30 in the wonderlic and Pro football focus gave him a 75 (1-100) scale for that game.  So yeah, I'd keep him around.

CD, I've been saying this for a while now.  Our Oline while not Dallas gets a bad rap.  And it's certainly not helped by the parroting lazy talking heads out there that go for the simplistic answer.  The best thing I can say about Good was that if not for all the talk about him, I really wouldn't have noticed him.  He did fine.

I also share your opinion on Harrison.  I haven't watched the game in breakdown yet, but everytime I do with Harrison, I come away shaking my head.  Holmes should be in there.

I've always thought you were one of the most intelligent posters on the forum. :)

I'm with you, I just do not see the love affair with Harrison, he comes into the game and the Colts run for less yards, have less time to throw and play worse.

And then posters on the forum say Harrison has a higher ceiling or more upside.... One there is no way for fans to know that it's just a guess and two what in the world are they basing that on?  He has shown no improvement over last year, he still makes the same bone headed mistakes, still misses the same type of blocks and still gets suckered the same way when the LBers show blitz.

I've always thought you were one of the most intelligent posters on the forum. :)

I'm with you, I just do not see the love affair with Harrison, he comes into the game and the Colts run for less yards, have less time to throw and play worse.

And then posters on the forum say Harrison has a higher ceiling or more upside.... One there is no way for fans to know that it's just a guess and two what in the world are they basing that on?  He has shown no improvement over last year, he still makes the same bone headed mistakes, still misses the same type of blocks and still gets suckered the same way when the LBers show blitz.

it's not the harrison is great, its that holmes is not a good pass or run blocker.

harrison makes mistakes like bad snaps and missed blocking assignments but he is noticeably better at blocking when he is in the right spot

I have a different take on it...

I just slow motioned every snap, and for a his first ever start, Good played very well indeed sirs. Now this was his first look at NFL speed rushing in pass protection and he got his hands on the rusher late once or twice and gave up a pressure and a hold, but he got his hands on the rusher on-time, or in-time, all the rest, and his side did not fold once he got his hands on people. Beyond that, there are about 4 plays in the game where he blows up a defensive player to such an extent that it will draw laughter & high fives in the film room. His strength really showed most in those instances where defenders went straight into him, man-o-man, nose-to-nose, power-on-power, and in every instance Good won, and in some he flat out destroyed them, period. No one else on this O-Line has a play where they train wrecked defenders like this. He's not just another guy, a mere 7th rounder or a nobody. You can't teach his body size, agility, quickness or freakish power.  I have no reservations about saying his future is burning bright or that he's headed toward the starting lineup. This man simply needs quality coaching and live reps to get experience.

Castonzo, Mewhort, Harrison, Reitz & Good starting in the future, oh yeah, I can see that. The sooner they can get to this group, the better, IMHO.