Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Would We Want To Face Peyton Manning?

bap1331

It just sounds ridiculous to me that some fans are considering going to "REBUILDING" mode. Those are the boringest years in any fans lifetime! KEEP Peyton, get chances, then put Luck after he learns. Hes a good friend if Peyton so i dont think he will complain. He was part of the Peyton Camp or whatever...

Name another quarterback (besides maybe Brady) that can tear apart a defense like Peyton. Wether he is on the road or not, he will always be Peyton no matter what.

Letting Peyton go would be a big mistake. He would tear apart our defense like PICK A PART!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. Trading Peyton Manning to a team like the Jets pretty much assures that until Peyton retires, we have no chance of being the AFC team in the Super Bowl. In fact, ANY team in the NFL likely means we can cross off a couple of years. After all, if he can win with no running attack or defense, imagine what he could do with a team that has those things.

What also surprises me is why people think we would dump Peyton. Jim Irsay has already stated:

1) If Peyton Manning is healthy to play, he will play in Indy.

2) Peyton Manning is a family decision, not a football decision.

So many more ways can he say "Look, I love the guy. He goes nowhere!"

It just sounds ridiculous to me that some fans are considering going to "REBUILDING" mode. Those are the boringest years in any fans lifetime! KEEP Peyton, get chances, then put Luck after he learns. Hes a good friend if Peyton so i dont think he will complain. He was part of the Peyton Camp or whatever...

Name another quarterback (besides maybe Brady) that can tear apart a defense like Peyton. Wether he is on the road or not, he will always be Peyton no matter what.

Letting Peyton go would be a big mistake. He would tear apart our defense like PICK A PART!

Dude, I feel ya. It seems like it's all I'm hearing. From Colt fans and nonColt fans.

'OMG Andrew Luck!!!!! Can't Miss Prospect!!!! Colts Take Him For Sure!!!! Future GOAT!!!! Andrew Luck > Peyton Manning!!!!'

What kind of things are these people smoking? This last season proved that Peyton Manning has in fact carried this team. Maybe not in the early part of his career, but at least for the last 5 or 6 years. We were missing one person this year that would have made the difference between 2 wins and 12 wins. If he's not healthy that's one thing, but this procedure he had done, has a very high, full recovery rate. He will be healthy next year, unless something else happens. And by 'something else' I don't mean a neck setback, I mean if he gets eaten by chupacabra.

To dump a healthy Manning, even with only about 4 years left, in favor of an unknown commodity, would be the height of stupidity. We very realistically could have both. If we used the pick on a corner, rather than Luck, we'd still be paying the corner the same amount of money. Crap, the corner we draft could get hurt and we could end up putting our new shutdown corner and his 10 million dollar contract on IR. With Luck and Peyton on the roster next year, the cap hit is no higher than it was this year with Peyton, Collins, Painter, and Orlovsky. Money is not the issue. The only issue is Luck's feelings. Wahhhhhhhhhhh I have to sit behind Peyton Manning, Wahhhhhhhhhhh. He'll get over it. He'll collect 30 million over the next four years to hold a clipboard.

This team doesn't need to be rebuilt. It needs one or two hits in the draft. At corner and maybe at WR, depending on the Wayne situation. Even without any new weapons on offense we'd still be fine as long as Peyton is under center. He could make Austin Collie, Blair White, and Taj Smith into All Pros. So get some better corners, a better defensive scheme, and let Peyton carry the offense. Or conversely, draft Andrew Luck, and laugh while you watch him try to make the jump from Stanford, where his oline gave him enough time to make a sandwich, eat it, and then find an open check down receiver, to the Colts offense, where he'd be lucky to have a full second to drop back, read the defense and make a quick throw to a well covered Blair White.

I agree with both.

I think that the idea of seeing what resulted in Green Bay. Rodgers behind Favre then now Matt Flynn behind Rodgers. It helps us support keeping both.

Now the problem is that there will be this tension of wanting to start Andrew Luck. But were no ordinary team, we realized what we are without Peyton Manning. And the only way Luck will win the job is if Peyton fails...which i most likely 100% doubt. Again, its all about his health now. I think hes had plenty of time to rest.

If we trade Peyton, he will be a good quarterback. But if he stays as a second string to learn, i think he will be alot better. I doubt he will turn into another Jim Sorgi or Curtis Painter. I have no idea what those quarterbacks were doing the whole time while Peyton was playing. Maybe its just a sense of responsibility of stepping into someones big shoes that they fear.

I agree with you. Trading Peyton Manning to a team like the Jets pretty much assures that until Peyton retires, we have no chance of being the AFC team in the Super Bowl. In fact, ANY team in the NFL likely means we can cross off a couple of years. After all, if he can win with no running attack or defense, imagine what he could do with a team that has those things.

What also surprises me is why people think we would dump Peyton. Jim Irsay has already stated:

i agree. But i also cant see a first overall pick not start for 2-5 years.

Great to see a thread with some people talking SENSE around here.

If Peyton is playing like Peyton then he has earned the right to play his contract out. The Colts are at worst going to the playoffs until he retires. Why on earth would anyone want to see the Colts going against him?

Of course we wouldn't want to face Peyton.

For more reasons than just the fear of losing the game.

IMO, moreso because he is and has been a COLT. And he helped get us that elusive Super Bowl in Indy.

Hopefully he'll retire a Colt.

The problem is, we don't know if he'll be able to play for any team in the future, let alone our Colts.

Because of his age and the "neck thing", we need to prepare for the future regardless. Manning HAS to acknowledge this.

So hopefully the pushing back of the bonus is true, both sides will discuss the future, and everyone will be happy.

This year has shown what putting all the eggs in the "Manning basket" can do. Next season will be interesting......... again.

Hopefully this time in a more positive manner.

With a real defense and a real offensive line rather than the Island of Misfit Toys he has carried to the playoffs over and over again?

I'm just saying it would be a great storyline. Manning vs luck in the playoffs. That would be huge

I tend to agree that Irsay has been clear on his intentions on keeping Peyton if healthy. IMO, it is more likely that Peyton opts to retire than play for another team next year. So I am not as concerned about Irsay getting rid of Peyton as much as I am about Peyton's ability to make it back to his earlier form and continue his career here.

However, I am starting to wonder if Irsay might know something about Peyton that he has not yet communicated to the fan base. His press conference following the Polian firings reveiled an owner seemingly intent on entering into rebuilding mode all while declaring this the start of a "new era" of Colts football. This doesn't seem like the approach of an owner expecting to be able to make one final run with a healthy Peyton Manning.

Wouldn't mind playing him in the playoffs

Love Peyton but I'd be all for the Colts if that happened...I'm a Colts fan first! So I'd hope to see us beat up his receivers coming off the line and disrupt their timing patterns. Couple this with generating consistent pressure off the edges and knocking him on the ground early & often (cleanly mind you). We'd actually get to enjoy seeing the Peyton sour face for once with a side of pick six thrown in for good measure. Plus, we'd have our own young "not as good as Peyton" quarterback to beat him in a big game. After the win, we'd hug him up. Uhhh...hypothetically speaking of course. :ashamed:

If we're stupid enough to let Peyton go at any time, then the universe says that we deserve to lose to him.

It's like being in a war zone and letting an enemy prisoner go, then later being shot up by the same guy.

He is a great qb but everyone is acting like he's won all these super bowls and is just unstoppable in the playoffs. He has made big mistakes in big moments several times. He is without a doubt one of the all time greats but it might be time to move on. I would hate for that to happen but if irsay feels its best then it is.

He is a great qb but everyone is acting like he's won all these super bowls and is just unstoppable in the playoffs. He has made big mistakes in big moments several times. He is without a doubt one of the all time greats but it might be time to move on. I would hate for that to happen but if irsay feels its best then it is.

Every player makes mistakes, and yes Peyton has his. Namely the ill-fated quick slant to Reggie in our last SB.

No, it's not time to move on. We have Manning for years yet. 2-3 years from now is time to move on. We're overreacting to a bad season that had many reasons for its failure, none of which surpassed the absence of Manning. Strangely, many peoples remedy for this is to permanently be absent of Manning.

Sounds kinda dumb and reactionary to me.

Move on to a college player cutting Peyton?. To me, as Irsay said both can co-exist. What's the problem there unless Luck doesn't want it ( I doubt it ).

Id have zero problems with our Colts facing Peyton if it had to happen. Would it rip my guts out, yep. Father time is a cruel reaper of athletic greats. BUT, again, if dealing Peyton meant the best for the future of our franchise, I'd welcome the move. Luck is going to be the QB of our franchise for the next 1.5 decades. At best, 18's GOAT career is in the tunnel with the light flashing. I'm an Indy Colts' fan first. And the best move for our future is to address the QB position now. The NFL starts and ends with elite QB play. What a golden opportunity we have to go from one elite to one future elite (as all signs indicate). We as fans very likely don't have to go through what the Dolphins, Broncos, and 49'ers have experienced in trying to replace legendary QBs. Its tough as heck, but I'd know it was for the best of the future.

Move on to a college player cutting Peyton?. To me, as Irsay said both can co-exist. What's the problem there unless Luck doesn't want it ( I doubt it ).

I want both but if it can't happen time to get the future

I want both but if it can't happen time to get the future

I'm not with that. I'm with winning now, not when and if Luck can be that guy. We can win SB's over the next several years with the guy we have.

Much of this reminds me of an Aesop's fable.

THE+DOG+AND+HIS+REFLECTION.jpg

I'm not with that. I'm with winning now, not when and if Luck can be that guy. We can win SB's over the next several years with the guy we have.

This team is not a super bowl contender next year with luck or manning.

This team is not a super bowl contender next year with luck or manning.

I think we're a SB contender in 2011 if we had Manning. So what exactly makes you say this? We're fine man. It's only been 2 years since our last SB, and if you look at the roster, not much has changed.

I think we're a SB contender in 2011 if we had Manning. So what exactly makes you say this? We're fine man. It's only been 2 years since our last SB, and if you look at the roster, not much has changed.

Our defense wouldn't stand a chance against the high powered offenses in the nfl. We need cb safety linebacker interior linemen we need an oline. We are far from a contender. Our record has been slowly decling along with our stats. Peyton manning hasn't always been able to cover the flaws of the team in the playoffs in the past so not sure why he would do any better with a team that's getting worse.

Our defense wouldn't stand a chance against the high powered offenses in the nfl. We need cb safety linebacker interior linemen we need an oline. We are far from a contender. Our record has been slowly decling along with our stats. Peyton manning hasn't always been able to cover the flaws of the team in the playoffs in the past so not sure why he would do any better with a team that's getting worse.

Right because the two best teams in the playoffs this year aren't ranked 31st and 32nd in pass defense or anything...

I am not saying the defense doesn't need work because it does but we've seen Peyton go to a Super Bowl with a sub par defense before. Having a good QB would make up for a lot on this team. Would it be enough that I don't know.

Thats the whole point though. Get the man a better defense and then what do we have?

A SB contender.

We aren't that far removed from installing a better defense, personnel, scheme and coaching.

Right because the two best teams in the playoffs this year aren't ranked 31st and 32nd in pass defense or anything...

I am not saying the defense doesn't need work because it does but we've seen Peyton go to a Super Bowl with a sub par defense before. Having a good QB would make up for a lot on this team. Would it be enough that I don't know.

But aren't they also like no 1 and no 3 in forcing turnovers and points allowed? Giving up yards doesn't tell the whole story

But aren't they also like no 1 and no 3 in forcing turnovers and points allowed? Giving up yards doesn't tell the whole story

Turnovers would be the key. I've said all year that's the biggest problem with our defense we don't get the turnovers we used to or need. That's what the Cover-2 is designed to do, get a good pass rush and force the QB into making a mistake and have someone pick the pass off. Like I said I wasn't saying the defense doesn't need work because it does. I was just making the point you don't have to have one of the best defenses in the NFL (which no one would call the Packers or Pats one of the best defenses in the NFL) to win if you have a good QB and a defense that can make plays. Clearly we do need to improve the play making part of our defense.

This rendition of the Colts appears to be on it's last legs. The front office and several coaches that built this and made the Colts great are largely gone. The roster may have stayed largely the same since 2009 but time hasn't and these players have gotten older and more injury riddled. Consider this...in all of our heyday years we only have one Lombardi to hoist. That is with a healthy Peyton Manning in his prime setting the league on fire. Now some expect this franchise to make one last run and miraculously end up with several Super Bowls during what are likely to be Peyton's declining years. This is most likely sentimental and wishful thinking. Peyton's on the wrong side of 35, coming off of injury and is no longer in his prime years. There are now better quarterbacks currently playing and other teams (Green Bay and New Orleans) have gotten stronger. Sorry but fan or not to expect this Colts team to win multiple Super Bowls during Peyton's twilight years is not realistic. I think it is possible to still contend a little longer with a healthy Peyton but by no means does that make us a sure bet to win multiple Super Bowls.

Not rushing Peyton out the door because if healthy he should be the starter even with Luck...for at least 1-2 seasons anyway. Only saying that multiple Super Bowl expectations are unrealistic at this point unless some massive revamping occurs and even then it's not a given.

This rendition of the Colts appears to be on it's last legs. The front office and several coaches that built this and made the Colts great are largely gone. The roster may have stayed largely the same since 2009 but time hasn't and these players have gotten older and more injury riddled. Consider this...in all of our heyday years we only have one Lombardi to hoist. That is with a healthy Peyton Manning in his prime setting the league on fire. Now some expect this franchise to make one last run and miraculously end up with several Super Bowls during what are likely to be Peyton's declining years. This is most likely sentimental and wishful thinking. Peyton's on the wrong side of 35, coming off of injury and is no longer in his prime years. There are now better quarterbacks currently playing and other teams (Green Bay and New Orleans) have gotten stronger. Sorry but fan or not to expect this Colts team to win multiple Super Bowls during Peyton's twilight years is not realistic. I think it is possible to still contend a little longer with a healthy Peyton but by no means does that make us a sure bet to win multiple Super Bowls.

Not rushing Peyton out the door because if healthy he should be the starter even with Luck...for at least for 1-2 seasons anyway. Only saying that multiple Super Bowl expectations are unrealistic at this point unless some massive revamping occurs.

Though our opinions differ, I'm not going to be foolish and disagree with any of this.

Either way, I think it's going to be a looooong time before we suffer another season like the one we just finished, if ya wanna call that finishing.

Of course we wouldn't want to face Peyton.

For more reasons than just the fear of losing the game.

IMO, moreso because he is and has been a COLT. And he helped get us that elusive Super Bowl in Indy.

Hopefully he'll retire a Colt.

The problem is, we don't know if he'll be able to play for any team in the future, let alone our Colts.

Because of his age and the "neck thing", we need to prepare for the future regardless. Manning HAS to acknowledge this.

So hopefully the pushing back of the bonus is true, both sides will discuss the future, and everyone will be happy.

This year has shown what putting all the eggs in the "Manning basket" can do. Next season will be interesting......... again.

Hopefully this time in a more positive manner.

I agree. We still want Peyton but we still are preparing in case he cant play anymore.

There is almost zero chance that Peyton will be traded unless his contract is renegotiated. And if he was cut it's because he is still recovering and it could be another 6-12 months before he would be ready to contribute to either the Colts or any other team that picked him up. So we likely wouldn't see him next year but possibly after that for an AFC team. Now if his contract gets renegotiated by some miracle then the FO might consider trading him to a NFC team like the 49'ers, Seahawks or Redskins.

There is almost zero chance that Peyton will be traded unless his contract is renegotiated. And if he was cut it's because he is still recovering and it could be another 6-12 months before he would be ready to contribute to either the Colts or any other team that picked him up. So we likely wouldn't see him next year but possibly after that for an AFC team. Now if his contract gets renegotiated by some miracle then the FO might consider trading him to a NFC team like the 49'ers, Seahawks or Redskins.

I'd send him to the Redskins. You know Snyder is foolish enough to out bid for Peyton Manning in terms of draft picks. Also, we just played the Redskins last year so we wouldn't have to play them again till the 2014 season and by that point Andrew Luck should be well established and Peyton will probably be at the tail end of his career.