Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets waive OLB Quinton Coples

bababooey

You would have thought they shopped this guy around before cutting him, so it makes me wonder why no teams would have offered anything for him.  Could be wrong there.  Maybe they couldn't find anyone to take his on the rest of his contract?

I believe the trade deadline passed, correct? Or do you mean like a few weeks ago? Maybe they were asking too much for him and they figured they would take their chances on the waiver wire. 

Maybe as of the past week or two they realized they don't want him, and didn't shop him.. 

Actually I just checked, trade deadline was November 3rd

I believe the trade deadline passed, correct? Or do you mean like a few weeks ago? Maybe they were asking too much for him and they figured they would take their chances on the waiver wire. 

Maybe as of the past week or two they realized they don't want him, and didn't shop him.. 

Actually I just checked, trade deadline was November 3rd

Yeah, but he's still on his rookie deal, so i mean, what they are basically saying is that he's not the 53rd best guy on the roster.  They could have traded him in the offseason.

Greeney just said he's a lock to be a game captain vs the Jets in week 17

haha. I liked Greenberg's suggestion to present IK Enemkpali with a giant check for $600 at midfield before the last Bills-Jets game. That would have been hilarious.

Yes, I could see Coples being the Bills captain for that game.

The Jets had picked up his 5th year option, but now I see that was guaranteed for injury only. Was their 1st round pick in 2012. I'll bet Rex and the Bills make room for him, if he even makes it to them on the waiver wire.

Anybody feeling a tiny bit better about Werner now?

no why should we? Coples is better then him has more sacks tackles and forced fumbles.

no why should we? Coples is better then him has more sacks tackles and forced fumbles.

Unless Coples gets credit for 6 full pay contract games payed this year, he is still at 3 accrued seasons.  We are ahead of the Bills on the waiver wire.  But does that mean whoever picks him up also has to cover his 5th year option as well?

Unless Coples gets credit for 6 full pay contract games payed this year, he is still at 3 accrued seasons. We are ahead of the Bills on the waiver wire. But does that mean whoever picks him up also has to cover his 5th year option as well?

I have no idea that would be a question for superman I'm just saying he is a better OLB then Werner

Noted and understood. Now I'm trying to determine costs of each to see if a potential swap makes financial sense too... or is there someone else on the 53 to drop for him?

yeah I'm not good at all with the cap and contracts like some here I just ask superman or Dustin Lol I'm sure we could drop someone and we could get him but who and how idk

Unless Coples gets credit for 6 full pay contract games payed this year, he is still at 3 accrued seasons.  We are ahead of the Bills on the waiver wire.  But does that mean whoever picks him up also has to cover his 5th year option as well?

Yeah if you claim him, you claim the option also. But it's still only guaranteed for injury.

If we picked him up on the waiver wire we would have to pick up his 5th year option in case of injury and we would have to pick it up if we wanted to keep him next year absent a new deal being hammered out.

If he clears waivers then he can be signed for whatever.

My guess is they probably did shop him prior to the trade deadline and couldn't find takers.  I wouldn't be surprised if he clears waivers due to the 5th year option but I'm sure someone will sign him.

Which also means the 5th year option, but I had found it is only guaranteed for injury. So no biggie there.

It can be.  If the guy tears his ACL late in the season and can't pass a physical in April that option money is guaranteed to him.  

In fact from what I'm reading that's something that might be a possibility with Kaep.  His money is only guaranteed for injury but his injury has happened so late that he might not be rehabbed before that money is fully guaranteed.

If we picked him up on the waiver wire we would have to pick up his 5th year option in case of injury and we would have to pick it up if we wanted to keep him next year absent a new deal being hammered out.

If he clears waivers then he can be signed for whatever.

My guess is they probably did shop him prior to the trade deadline and couldn't find takers.  I wouldn't be surprised if he clears waivers due to the 5th year option but I'm sure someone will sign him.

That was my thinking.  It's just not often that you see a former first round pick still on his rookie deal get cut midseason when he's still got another year left on his deal.  He'd have to either be just that bad or you couldn't get any value in return for him.  I get they cut him after the deadline, but they would almost have to have been considering it before the trade deadline.   

It can be.  If the guy tears his ACL late in the season and can't pass a physical in April that option money is guaranteed to him.  

In fact from what I'm reading that's something that might be a possibility with Kaep.  His money is only guaranteed for injury but his injury has happened so late that he might not be rehabbed before that money is fully guaranteed.

That's what I'm trying to determine...  Werner is known commodity, in price and putput.  So what is Coples potential pricevs. potential output?  Risk / Reward ratio?  and the final straw... does he make your team better?

It's a long shot, but Quiton Coples was just released by the Jets.... he's still a bit raw even though he's played for a few years and he might have a slight attitude problem, bit so was and so did vontae before he came here...

Worth picking him up off waivers to see what he might be able to do for us?

Kap's money goes guaranteed 4/1/16. I don't know what how extensive his shoulder surgery was, but I would think that's enough time to be medically cleared.

As for Coples' 5th year deal, you're absolutely right. Definitely a risk.

That's what I'm trying to determine...  Werner is known commodity, in price and putput.  So what is Coples potential pricevs. potential output?  Risk / Reward ratio?  and the final straw... does he make your team better?

He's another non athletic pass rusher who can't fight his way on the field consistently. He probably has a little better pass rush than Werner, but not a lot. And I think he's worse in space. He doesn't really excite me, and the risk with his option in case of injury is kind of off-putting.

He's another non athletic pass rusher who can't fight his way on the field consistently. He probably has a little better pass rush than Werner, but not a lot. And I think he's worse in space. He doesn't really excite me, and the risk with his option in case of injury is kind of off-putting.

Wasn't chandler Jones drafted by the Pats a few slots after, and has at least twice as many sacks?  I thought Coples was supposed to be this massive, athletic guy with speed and power?  Is he lazy, or just neutralized by big Pro NFL O lineman?

for what it's worth, I don't think he would be an OLB in the Colts defense.  With them going more for penetrating type lineman and a 1 gap scheme, I think Coples would be a DE in the base front and an interior pass rusher in nickel/dime sets...similar to how Denver uses Malik Jackson.  Compare Coples' size (6'6" 290 lbs) to that of Earl Okine (6'6" 290 lbs) and Malik Jackson (6'5" 293 lbs)

The Jets had picked up his 5th year option, but now I see that was guaranteed for injury only.  Was their 1st round pick in 2012.   I'll bet Rex and the Bills make room for him, if he even makes it to them on the waiver wire.

Anybody feeling a tiny bit better about Werner now?

No

If he clear I would like to give him a look at DE and possibly give Miami a 6th round pick for Dion Jordan[/

The Jordan who has been a bust and spends more time getting high than playing ball? You know he's suspended for the entire 2015 season?

I was interested in Coples at DE.as well until I read this: If a team nabs Coples off waivers, they would be on the hook for his $7.751 million fifth-year option for next season, but the option is guaranteed for injury only. Risky look considering our luck with injuries.

If he clear I would like to give him a look at DE and possibly give Miami a 6th round pick for Dion Jordan

I would give a conditional 6th for Dion Jordan because he maybe a basket case and he was an 3rd overall so he has a ton of cap hit, but he was better suited to play OLB on a 3-4 and he went to Miami to a wrong scheme fit for him(like B. Werner with the Colts).

D. Jordan was a 3rd overall like T. Richardson but he was a Dolphin before like V. Davis. So we could gamble because we really need to pressure the QB.