Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Speculation: Miami interested in Chudzinski

bap1331

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right.    I get that.

And it goes back to my observation about posters here.     They observe players or coaches are either great, or they suck.

A guy wins nearly 10 games a year for 15 years and because he hasn't won enough championships people here talk him down.     I never claimed he was great.     But there's something to be said for being very good.   And Richt is a very good coach.      And the same thing happened with Les Miles.    He hadn't won enough championships or beaten Alabama and for that he got talked down pretty good here.

Pretty embarrassing from my perspective.     If you can't recognize good when it's standing right in front of you,  well,  what's the point?

I didn't say he sucked. He's a great recruiter, but only a so so coach AT THE LEVEL HE IS CURRENTLY COACHING.  If you want to coach in the Deep South in a talent rich state you have to compete for championships more often than Richt.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right.    I get that.

And it goes back to my observation about posters here.     They observe players or coaches are either great, or they suck.

A guy wins nearly 10 games a year for 15 years and because he hasn't won enough championships people here talk him down.     I never claimed he was great.     But there's something to be said for being very good.   And Richt is a very good coach.      And the same thing happened with Les Miles.    He hadn't won enough championships or beaten Alabama and for that he got talked down pretty good here.

Pretty embarrassing from my perspective.     If you can't recognize good when it's standing right in front of you,  well,  what's the point?

I'll say he's probably about the best of the bunch of guys that are losing their jobs.  However if you're looking to revive the U, and when I say that you have to remember what the expectation of the U was in their hey days.  Good was not good enough, losing more than 1 to 2 games was looked at as a disappointment.  I'm not sure if Richt is the guy that can bring that type of thing back.  

They'll certainly win with him, I've watched enough Georgia games to know that.  I just haven't seen where he has what it takes as a coach to win the Title and 15 years in one program says quite a bit.  Maybe he'll do better with Miami being in a less tougher conference than the SEC.  To me he kind of reminds me of the College Version of Marty Schottenheimer. And when I say that I mean he'll win you some games, the personnel will be really good, but when it comes time to put the big boy pants on he always falls short.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right.    I get that.

I didn't say he sucked.  He's a great recruiter, but at the level he coaches at I think he is only a so so coach. IMO, Richt should have been challenging for national titles more often while at Georgia. If you wanna coach in the Deep South in a talent rich state the expectations are high....and usually not that realistic.  

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right.    I get that.

I didn't say he sucked.  He's a great recruiter, but at the level he coaches at I think he is only a so so coach. IMO, Richt should have been challenging for national titles more often while at Georgia. If you wanna coach in the Deep South in a talent rich state the expectations are high....and usually not that realistic.  

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right.    I get that.

5 hours ago, grmasterb said:

The Urban v. Saban record is 2-2.

Meyer is 1-2 vs Saban

Florida 31 - Bama 20 (12/6/08) SEC Championship

Bama 32 - Florida 13 (12/5/09) SEC Championship

Bama 31 - Florida 6 (10/2/10)

Saban put Meyer in the hospital after the last loss and Meyer announced his retirement and then changed his mind and came back and Florida struggled that season.  

15 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Meyer is 1-2 vs Saban

Saban put Meyer in the hospital after the last loss and Meyer announced his retirement and then changed his mind and came back and Florida struggled that season.  

I doubt a 1-2 record vs Bama ran Meyer out of the SEC lol.

He 2-2 vs Saban and Bama overall 

18 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Meyer is 1-2 vs Saban

You really think the record at FL was that intimidating for Urban? Surely you jest. I think Urban recovered nicely. He got a better gig at Ohio State and ran over Alabama on the way to another national championship. 

On 11/18/2015, 10:43:10, Coltfreak said:

Chud has not had a better offense than Pep has had with Carolina and Cam and that great defense or Cleveland with that great online and an above average defense

One of my personal favorite stats, Yards per attempt-  then look at personnel.  Chud with Cam 2 years, and with Cleveland - Derek Anderson as OC in 2007-

2015 Luck   6.42  y/a  Pep

2015 Matt   6.82  y/a  Chud

2014        7.72  y/a  Pep

2013        6.70  y/a  Pep

Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen

Arians / Luck
            6.98  y/a

Cam Newton

2012        7.98 y/a

2011        7.84 y/a

Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Brandon Lafell

Chud Browns
Derek Anderson

2007        7/19 y/a

Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Jerevicius

Pep had Luck and much better receiving corps, but Chuds numbers with Cam and Derek were better.  And Cam and Derek aren't even supposed to be the passer Luck is...

On December 3, 2015 at 1:12:59 PM, BOTT said:

OK,  you called him a so-so coach.

Do you know what Richt's biggest problem was....?

He coached at the same time as Nick Saban, and Urban Meyer,  two of college football's all-time best coaches.

OK,  he didn't win enough.    But when you're winning 145 games in 15 years,  you're a damn good coach.  

Miami hopes he'll be good enough for them.....

p.s. -- I don't know if you got it,  but I sent you a private note, but I'm not sure if the new system got that note to you.    I think the system told me you had sent me a private note as well.    But, if you did,  I never got it either.

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

One of my personal favorite stats, Yards per attempt-  then look at personnel.  Chud with Cam 2 years, and with Cleveland - Derek Anderson as OC in 2007-

2015 Luck   6.42  y/a  Pep

2015 Matt   6.82  y/a  Chud

2014        7.72  y/a  Pep

2013        6.70  y/a  Pep

Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen

Arians / Luck
            6.98  y/a

Cam Newton

2012        7.98 y/a

2011        7.84 y/a

Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Brandon Lafell

Chud Browns
Derek Anderson

2007        7/19 y/a

Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Jerevicius

Pep had Luck and much better receiving corps, but Chuds numbers with Cam and Derek were better.  And Cam and Derek aren't even supposed to be the passer Luck is...

I'm really looking forward to next year when Chud revamps the entire offense instead if just improving play calling, wich has helped a lot as it is 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK,  you called him a so-so coach.

Do you know what Richt's biggest problem was....?

He coached at the same time as Nick Saban, and Urban Meyer,  two of college football's all-time best coaches.

OK,  he didn't win enough.    But when you're winning 145 games in 15 years,  you're a damn good coach.  

Miami hopes he'll be good enough for them.....

p.s. -- I don't know if you got it,  but I sent you a private note, but I'm not sure if the new system got that note to you.    I think the system told me you had sent me a private note as well.    But, if you did,  I never got it either.

I never got it

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'm really looking forward to next year when Chud revamps the entire offense instead if just improving play calling, wich has helped a lot as it is 

Oh boy, you opened that can of worms.  Well, here it is and watch the folks line up on each side of the Chudzinski fence!

My understanding (and looking at the numbers above seems to confirm it) is Rob Chudzinski has a Physical Run / Vertical Pass philosophy much like what Norv Turner ran in Dallas under Jimmie Johnson in the 1990's.  Chud learned it from Norv Turner (and some at the U  in Miami) in San Diego as his assistant  coach. 

I like His assessment of the type of offense he would install-

“It’s an attacking style,” Chudzinski said. “I like to be balanced. Balance to me does not mean we’re going to throw the ball and run it the same amount of times. Balance to me means you run it when you need to run it to win, and throw it when you need to throw it to win.  You have to be able to win games in different ways. You have to win a low-scoring game in snow or a high-scoring shootout. You have to be able to do both.”

So We have the Big receiver (Moncrief) the guys that can take the top off the defense (TY Hilton, and hopefully Dorsett).  Big, speedy Tight Ends to operate in the middle (Fleener / Allen when healthy), and a smart potentially elite QB to run it.  Our problems?  As always, that O line, and lack of a young stud power running back.  Gore is beat to Crap.  The good news, Grigson, Pagano, and Chudzinski all know this.  But, will they address it?

One of our members, NFLFan, is experiencing success with the Vikings and the Norv Turner offense this season at 8 - 3, and first place in their division.

So I wonder, will Rob Chudzinski stay as our OC?  And if so, how will we address deficiencies from here on out?

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Oh boy, you opened that can of worms.  Well, here it is and watch the folks line up on each side of the Chudzinski fence!

My understanding (and looking at the numbers above seems to confirm it) is Rob Chudzinski has a Physical Run / Vertical Pass philosophy much like what Norv Turner ran in Dallas under Jimmie Johnson in the 1990's.  Chud learned it from Norv Turner (and some at the U  in Miami) in San Diego as his assistant  coach. 

I like His assessment of the type of offense he would install-

“It’s an attacking style,” Chudzinski said. “I like to be balanced. Balance to me does not mean we’re going to throw the ball and run it the same amount of times. Balance to me means you run it when you need to run it to win, and throw it when you need to throw it to win.  You have to be able to win games in different ways. You have to win a low-scoring game in snow or a high-scoring shootout. You have to be able to do both.”

So We have the Big receiver (Moncrief) the guys that can take the top off the defense (TY Hilton, and hopefully Dorsett).  Big, speedy Tight Ends to operate in the middle (Fleener / Allen when healthy), and a smart potentially elite QB to run it.  Our problems?  As always, that O line, and lack of a young stud power running back.  Gore is beat to Crap.  The good news, Grigson, Pagano, and Chudzinski all know this.  But, will they address it?

One of our members, NFLFan, is experiencing success with the Vikings and the Norv Turner offense this season at 8 - 3, and first place in their division.

So I wonder, will Rob Chudzinski stay as our OC?  And if so, how will we address deficiencies from here on out?

Not sure how he opened a can of worms.  Chud is far superior OC than Pep and is well respected around the league.  I don't know what the offseason holds, but I doubt many people would be upset to see Chud retained.

7 hours ago, BOTT said:

I never got it

What it basically said,  is the new system was telling me you were responding to my posts, and when I tried to respond to your posts, the system basically crashed and wouldn't let me.

So,  I sent you a private e-mail saying I wasn't ignoring you and that the system wasn't allowing me to respond to you....     and now I see that it didn't allow me to communicate privately either.      

OK....

Was just trying to give you a heads up.     Hopefully now the system is fixed and all is good in the world....

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Chud is Bruce Arians 2.0 ...

Yeah, not really. 

Chud likes using tight ends and running backs in the passing game much more than Arians. He is also much more consistent than BA running the ball.

8 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Yeah, not really. 

Chud likes using tight ends and running backs in the passing game much more than Arians. He is also much more consistent than BA running the ball.

Yeah, OK... Since you point it out, I guess that makes Chud HOF and Arians Bantha Fodder...  Got it.

I have a new project to research... thanks... :)

17 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yeah, OK... Since you point it out, I guess that makes Chud HOF and Arians Bantha Fodder...  Got it.

I have a new project to research... thanks... :)

[mod edit] God forbid if someone has a different opinion than you.  

Might have already been in this thread and I have not read it all but.......honestly can we maybe um PAY or try to keep our good coaches more often? Why do we seem to often lose decent coaches? We are not even the Pats, we rarely win it all lol.

Back in the Peyton days for years we seemed to have this stable coaching staff that we were able to keep together for some time. Now it's like there is always a rumor someone is gone as soon as someone shows a glimmer of hope for us.

17 hours ago, BOTT said:

[mod edit]  God forbid if someone has a different opinion than you.  

Maybe if you would back up your opinion with some evidence / substance, I might listen and possibly buy in. Coaches will use the people they have available, most talented gets preferred priority.  If a coach has 1 talented WR and 2 good TE, he will use TE's a lot more than if he Has 3 talented WR and 1 good TE and a jag H back.  If you have 3 talented WR, and 2 good (rookie) TE, you spread it around... even if your name is Bruce Arians.

Colts_2012%20_TE_zps5c0uss8g.jpg

Colts_2015_zpsxkud1g4k.jpg

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe if you would back up your opinion with some evidence / substance, I might listen and possibly buy in. Coaches will use the people they have available, most talented gets preferred priority.  If a coach has 1 talented WR and 2 good TE, he will use TE's a lot more than if he Has 3 talented WR and 1 good TE and a jag H back.  If you have 3 talented WR, and 2 good (rookie) TE, you spread it around... even if your name is Bruce Arians.

Colts_2012%20_TE_zps5c0uss8g.jpg

Colts_2015_zpsxkud1g4k.jpg

[mod edit]

funny, it was ok for you to claim Chud was the second coming of BA, but when I challenge that I'm supposed to bring out a bunch of meaningless charts?  Ok.....

7 hours ago, BOTT said:

[mod edit]

funny, it was ok for you to claim Chud was the second coming of BA, but when I challenge that I'm supposed to bring out a bunch of meaningless charts?  Ok.....

Yeah, not really.

I've had many discussions with people that challenge my position.  I back mine up, and they likewise do the same and we can come to an understanding. 

funny, it was you that claimed Chud uses tight ends and backs more than BA.  But provided no evidence.  I posted evidence Fleener/Allen had plenty of receptions as rookies under BA, as much or more than 2015, even projected.

But your opinion is duly noted.  We'll see.  Both are descendents from the vertical attack philiosophy of Sid Gillman/Don Coryell

On 12/6/2015, 9:35:32, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yeah, not really.

I've had many discussions with people that challenge my position.  I back mine up, and they likewise do the same and we can come to an understanding. 

funny, it was you that claimed Chud uses tight ends and backs more than BA.  But provided no evidence.  I posted evidence Fleener/Allen had plenty of receptions as rookies under BA, as much or more than 2015, even projected.

But your opinion is duly noted.  We'll see.  Both are descendents from the vertical attack philiosophy of Sid Gillman/Don Coryell

You can easily Google Arian's philosophy, as I have, and he states he wants WR to catch the ball, running backs to run the ball, and tight ends to be blockers first.  He will use tight ends obviously, but typically he want them to be in the mold of Heath Miller.

and I'm not sure how comparing Arians stint with Colts to 2015 tells us anything in relation to Chud.

if you wanted to have a legit discussion, maybe you shouldn't start out by being a * from the get go.

On 12/6/2015, 10:22:35, BOTT said:

You can easily Google Arian's philosophy, as I have, and he states he wants WR to catch the ball, running backs to run the ball, and tight ends to be blockers first.  He will use tight ends obviously, but typically he want them to be in the mold of Heath Miller.

and I'm not sure how comparing Arians stint with Colts to 2015 tells us anything in relation to Chud.

if you wanted to have a legit discussion, maybe you shouldn't start out by being a * from the get go.

I hear and read a lot of things HC say and don't materialize.  I tend to look at results. I was wondering, is Coby Fleener in the Heath Miller mold? Ideally, vertical attack OC's want  huge, speedy TE that is a mismatch in the passing game.  Yes, they have to block too, because the Air Coryell and variants rely on a power run game too. Don Coryell had Kellen Wnslow Sr., Norv Turner had Antonio Gates.  Rob Chudzinski had Kellen Winslow Jr.  Bruce Arians had Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener here in Indy.  You use what you have. If Arians had A. Gates, does he make him block all of the time? No.  Gates is a homerun hitter player.  Vertical passing is all about hitting the homerun.

Chud had Cam Newton set rookie passing records in 2011, yet effectively incorporated read option into the play book as well.  Do you think he uses read option with Derek Anderson? (Newton's backup at the time and Browns QB when Chud was their OC)  Chud was Norv Turners Asst. Coach and Tight Ends coach at San Diego.  Norv was HC/OC play caller, like Bruce Arians is in AZ.  When Chud got HC in Cleveland, he hired Norv Turner as his OC. Bruce Arians had Luck set passing record in 2012. They are both descendants and proponents of the Vertical passing attack. Their philosophy and approach is much more similar than not.  They are both incredible offensive minds. So, to me, your not really is not really.  It's the way I see it, and called you out on it.  Then Seems some people will say things just because of their feelings to BA. And I may be touchy about it at times, yes, but never stoop to personal shots.