Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton manning OUT vs Bears (update)

jvan1973

To those saying the Manning injury is a cover up, Adam Schefter reported that Manning was getting treatment outside of the Broncos for it throughout the season. It sounds like after it flared up vs the Colts that he could not hide it any longer. I thought he played pretty well vs us. He had his highest PFF rating of the year. He also was pretty good vs GB. Clearly, the injury led to the meltdown vs KC and sadly he may have lost his job for good. 

Manning having a good game vs GB would dispel the severity of the injury for the whole season and also is a one game aberration on top to a season where he has been the worst rated QB. I think the injury is there but is not the reason he has been playing so poorly. Same as the thigh last year too. I think with an aging QB injures are part of the decline but Manning's physical decline in terms of his arm strength and also decision making began last year. It has progressed this year and any injury to his body was going to compound the decline IMO.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manning having a good game vs GB would dispel the severity of the injury for the whole season and also is a one game aberration on top to a season where he has been the worst rated QB. I think the injury is there but is not the reason he has been playing so poorly. Same as the thigh last year too. I think with an aging QB injures are part of the decline but Manning's physical decline in terms of his arm strength and also decision making began last year. It has progressed this year and any injury to his body was going to compound the decline IMO.

He's also no longer running the offense and hasn't been for almost a full year now. So without being able to use his mind to its full potential he simply looks very old and probably won't be back playing well again as Kubiak won't be giving up his system or play calling duties. 

He's also no longer running the offense and hasn't been for almost a full year now. So without being able to use his mind to its full potential he simply looks very old and probably won't be back playing well again as Kubiak won't be giving up his system or play calling duties. 

I think everyone pretty much knew the Kubiak system would not be a good fit for him except apparently for Elway, Kubiak and Manning. It happens. He stayed playing one year too long which is not uncommon for great players. I am interested to see how Brock runs things as he is more athletic than Flacco who had the best season of his career under Kubiak last year.

I think everyone pretty much knew the Kubiak system would not be a good fit for him except apparently for Elway, Kubiak and Manning. It happens. He stayed playing one year too long which is not uncommon for great players. I am interested to see how Brock runs things as he is more athletic than Flacco who had the best season of his career under Kubiak last year.

I agree. I think all involved thought the emphasis on the running game would make everything easier and we only saw that in one game vs GB. If the running game suddenly takes off with Brock it is going to be a bad look for Manning. The Bears stink against the run so it may this week but then the Patriots the week after will be a much different story, as will Oakland and Cincy.

His foot injury happened against the Colts so in reality, it's the other way around. If you don't think any injury is responsible for diminished play with Peyton or ANY player for that matter, you are naive.

His foot injury happened against the Colts so in reality, it's the other way around. If you don't think any injury is responsible for diminished play with Peyton or ANY player for that matter, you are naive.

He had many bad games before the Colts game so no, I don't put a lot in the injury in terms of his decline but that does not mean it did not affect him vs KC. That was the worst game of his career.

If he withheld injury to Broncos and received treatment outside team doctors isn't that some kind of violation?

Didn't he also do something similar late last season.

If true, what is it with him?

My feeling is he has probably had this foot condition for most if not all of the season. His brother Eli said he played with the same injury for most of last year with the Giants. Perhaps it worsened or more likely Denver was looking to make a change at QB and used the injury as a reason to not play him. Not uncommon to do for a legendary QB in his last season.

My feeling is he has probably had this foot condition for most if not all of the season. His brother Eli said he played with the same injury for most of last year with the Giants. Perhaps it worsened or more likely Denver was looking to make a change at QB and used the injury as a reason to not play him. Not uncommon to do for a legendary QB in his last season.

Didn't Jvan explain earlier to you the difference between his injury and Eli's. Partial tear is worse than a full tear.

And did Peyton tell you this is his last season or you just wish it is?.

Didn't Jvan explain earlier to you the difference between his injury and Eli's. Partial tear is worse than a full tear.

And did Peyton tell you this is his last season or you just wish it is?.

I didn't read Jvan's post. I was responding to the other poster who asked about the injury. The treatment for a partial tear is to tear it all the way to relieve the pain. Most athletes play through it either way. I would be shocked if Peyton plays another season but anything is possible.

I just read this article - I didn't see it posted in the thread, if it's a duplicate my apologies:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/11/20/peyton-manning-reportedly-not-helping-brock-osweiler-in-meeting-rooms-on-practice-field/

It's CBS Boston so there *could* be a touch of prejudice in it - but the basic facts are there.

Peyton is not helping his backup and has disappeared from the locker room and team.  I don't get that attitude.  I have been a Peyton fan in the past (until he moved into our division), so I have no axe to grind.  Last year when he was injured at the end of the first half in the game against the Chargers he insisted on coming out and playing the second half rather that letting Osweiler take the field as Denver has stated he would.  Yes, he pulled out the game, but that injury dogged him the rest of the season and was a good part of why they didn't do well in the playoffs.

When Big Ben has been injured this year, he's always on the sidelines "coaching" his team mates.  He's the reason the Steelers beat my Chargers in the last second in our game.  He engineered the final drive for Michael Vick that won the game.  Vick was really clear about it - they would not have won without Ben.

I cannot imagine Rivers not doing exactly the same.  He's invested in the success of everyone around him and the team.  Every QB that has backed him up has said that he has taught them so much and shared his knowledge freely so that they are ready to go if needed.  He just wouldn't let his need to be "needed" get in the way of the next man up and helping that man to succeed.  

LaDanian Tomlinson was like Peyton - when he got injured and it led to his talent fading he was the last to realize it and fought against the reality.  He pouted and withdrew from the team.  The greats are often the last to see it.  Someone here on this board told me the same about LT at that time and I couldn't see it due to my loyalty to all he had given and accomplished.  

I am very disappointed in how Peyton is handling this.  Football is a TEAM sport and no one man makes the team. 

I just read this article - I didn't see it posted in the thread, if it's a duplicate my apologies:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/11/20/peyton-manning-reportedly-not-helping-brock-osweiler-in-meeting-rooms-on-practice-field/

It's CBS Boston so there *could* be a touch of prejudice in it - but the basic facts are there.

Peyton is not helping his backup and has disappeared from the locker room and team. I don't get that attitude. I have been a Peyton fan in the past (until he moved into our division), so I have no axe to grind. Last year when he was injured at the end of the first half against the Chargers he insisted on coming out an playing the second half rather that letting Osweiler take the field as Denver has stated he would. He pulled out the game but that injury dogged him the rest of the season and was a good part of why they didn't do well in the playoffs.

When Big Ben has been injured this year, he's on the sidelines "coaching" his team mates. He's the reason the Steelers beat my Chargers in the last second in our game. He engineered the drive for Michael Vick that won the game and Vick was really clear about it - they would not have won without Ben.

I cannot imagine Rivers do doing exactly the same. He's invested in the success of everyone around him and the team. He just wouldn't let his need to be "needed" get in the way of the next man up and helping that man to succeed.

LaDanian Tomlinson was like Peyton - when his talent was fading he was the last to realize it and fought against the reality and withdrew from the team. The greats are often the last to see it. Someone here on this board told me the same about LT and I couldn't see it due to my loyalty to all he had given and accomplished.

I am very disappointed in how Peyton is handling this. Football is a TEAM sport and no one man makes the team.

Lol seriously. It's from Boston.

Read what the players and coaches from Denver say.

Did you read my post or just quote it?  I mentioned it was from Boston and needed to be balanced out.  

I've actually read a lot of what the players and coaches have to say and let's just say it is clearly lacking in enthusiasm.  If you compare what is being said with what is said about other QBs in the same circumstances it just doesn't measure up.

But you are a fan and you'll believe what you will.  I get that and am not offended by it.  But sometimes unbiased outsiders see more clearly at this time in a player's life.  I really am not biased for or against Manning.    

Did you read my post or just quote it?  I mentioned it was from Boston and needed to be balanced out.  

I've actually read a lot of what the players and coaches have to say and let's just say it is clearly lacking in enthusiasm.  If you compare what is being said with what is said about other QBs in the same circumstances it just doesn't measure up.

But you are a fan and you'll believe what you will.  I get that and am not offended by it.  But sometimes unbiased outsiders see more clearly at this time in a player's life.  I really am not biased for or against Manning.    

This is a bad look for Manning but there are some stories that Kubes asked him to not go so there may be a bigger rift going on than what meets the eye. Not sure why he is not at least in mtgs though to help Brock.

Did you read my post or just quote it? I mentioned it was from Boston and needed to be balanced out.

I've actually read a lot of what the players and coaches have to say and let's just say it is clearly lacking in enthusiasm. If you compare what is being said with what is said about other QBs in the same circumstances it just doesn't measure up.

But you are a fan and you'll believe what you will. I get that and am not offended by it. But sometimes unbiased outsiders see more clearly at this time in a player's life. I really am not biased for or against Manning.

I am not a homer. Manning was asked to get well. I haven't read from one source where he was asked for help and he didn't.

Brock himself has said it clearly several times. If you really read as you suggested, you shouldn't be getting all worked up.

Did you read my post or just quote it? I mentioned it was from Boston and needed to be balanced out.

I've actually read a lot of what the players and coaches have to say and let's just say it is clearly lacking in enthusiasm. If you compare what is being said with what is said about other QBs in the same circumstances it just doesn't measure up.

But you are a fan and you'll believe what you will. I get that and am not offended by it. But sometimes unbiased outsiders see more clearly at this time in a player's life. I really am not biased for or against Manning.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/20/peyton-manning-not-traveling-with-the-broncos/

Manning told Osweiler on Monday, “Go win this game for us. If you need anything I’m here for you.”

"For clarity-Kubiak told Peyton Manning on Monday he was excused from practice/meetings/game so he could concentrate on rehab #9news "

Peyton is not helping his backup and has disappeared from the locker room and team.  I don't get that attitude.  I have been a Peyton fan in the past (until he moved into our division), so I have no axe to grind.  Last year when he was injured at the end of the first half in the game against the Chargers he insisted on coming out and playing the second half rather that letting Osweiler take the field as Denver has stated he would.  Yes, he pulled out the game, but that injury dogged him the rest of the season and was a good part of why they didn't do well in the playoffs.

When Big Ben has been injured this year, he's always on the sidelines "coaching" his team mates.  He's the reason the Steelers beat my Chargers in the last second in our game.  He engineered the final drive for Michael Vick that won the game.  Vick was really clear about it - they would not have won without Ben.

I cannot imagine Rivers not doing exactly the same.  He's invested in the success of everyone around him and the team.  Every QB that has backed him up has said that he has taught them so much and shared his knowledge freely so that they are ready to go if needed.  He just wouldn't let his need to be "needed" get in the way of the next man up and helping that man to succeed.  

LaDanian Tomlinson was like Peyton - when he got injured and it led to his talent fading he was the last to realize it and fought against the reality.  He pouted and withdrew from the team.  The greats are often the last to see it.  Someone here on this board told me the same about LT at that time and I couldn't see it due to my loyalty to all he had given and accomplished.  

I am very disappointed in how Peyton is handling this.  Football is a TEAM sport and no one man makes the team. 

I get your point, however Roethlisberger & Rivers are still with their primary teams, I realize it is now Peyton's 4th year with Denver, but I am sure there is still somewhat of a hired gun mentality going on, couple that with the 'ego and decline' & it really isn't that surprising that 18 may be taking this season's series of events in a less than ideal manner. 

I wonder if 18 would be handling the situation more graciously if he were still in Indy???

This is a bad look for Manning but there are some stories that Kubes asked him to not go so there may be a bigger rift going on than what meets the eye. Not sure why he is not at least in mtgs though to help Brock.

Manning was excused from all meetings, practices etc. to focus strictly on his rehab. Were people saying the same thing in 2008 when Brady wasn't at the Patriots facility to bring along Cassel after tearing his ACL?

Manning was excused from all meetings, practices etc. to focus strictly on his rehab. Were people saying the same thing in 2008 when Brady wasn't at the Patriots facility to bring along Cassel after tearing his ACL?

Brady had season ending knee surgery so he was not going to be on sidelines anyways. Same as Manning in 2011 with the neck. I think Buck Showalter is probably right. Manning does not have the same ties to Denver. He was brought on as a hired gun and I think there is quite a bit of tension between him Kubes and Elway. Both Kubes and Elway have said that Manning was not happy about being told he was not going to play.

Lol.

Didn't even read it, did you?

"According to NFL Network’s James Palmer, with Manning not playing this week due to what the team is calling a left foot injury, the future Hall of Famer has not even been near his team or coaching staff this week.

Manning “hasn’t attended any practices or meetings this week and hasn’t had a single conversation about Sunday’s game plan with Brock Osweiler,” according to Palmer. Mark Haas at CBS Denver has reported the same."

Lol.

Didn't even read it, did you?

"According to NFL Network’s James Palmer, with Manning not playing this week due to what the team is calling a left foot injury, the future Hall of Famer has not even been near his team or coaching staff this week.

Manning “hasn’t attended any practices or meetings this week and hasn’t had a single conversation about Sunday’s game plan with Brock Osweiler,” according to Palmer. Mark Haas at CBS Denver has reported the same."

Convenient to ignore the facts.

Where are you from?. Oh wait.

Agreed..Brock Osweiler is not a rookie.....He's taken all the snaps in practice all week

He's ready. And I' guessing they will do some things with Brock (roll him out, star in under center) that they didn't

do with Peyton. They wont call the same game.

...and again...28 degrees and 15-20 MPH wind in Chicago Sunday...

I dont want to see injured old guys limping up and down the sidelines

Agreed..Brock Osweiler is not a rookie.....He's taken all the snaps in practice all week

He's ready. And I' guessing they will do some things with Brock (roll him out, star in under center) that they didn't

do with Peyton. They wont call the same game.

...and again...28 degrees and 15-20 MPH wind in Chicago Sunday...

I dont want to see injured old guys limping up and down the sidelines

Me either. I don't see what the big stink is about Peyton not being there, the guy is injured and needs to rehab. Who wants to stand on a sideline somewhere and freeze their rear off in 20 degree weather with that crazy wind LOL

Manning's well being is paramount he takes care of himself. The Bears game is finally Osweillers time to start a regular season game, and has spent so much time waiting on the sidelines because Peyton is a seasoned veteran and very talented. Will Osweiler be the next Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck, or bump up the roster from a current veteran like Colin Kaepernick and Tom Brady did to Alex Smith and Drew Bledsoe? This is your chance to shine as a starter, and show to your Broncos teammates and fans what you got and can do on the field, Mr. Osweiler.

Nah, he'll be the next Curtis Painter, Jim Sorgi, etc.

Nah, he'll be the next Curtis Painter, Jim Sorgi, etc.

I don't think he's that good either or will be good. Denver may still win because the weather looks like it is going to be bad and their Defense may cause several turnovers resulting in points but It wouldn't shock me if Chicago won because they have played well over the last 2 weeks and it's in Chicago.

Brady had season ending knee surgery so he was not going to be on sidelines anyways. Same as Manning in 2011 with the neck. I think Buck Showalter is probably right. Manning does not have the same ties to Denver. He was brought on as a hired gun and I think there is quite a bit of tension between him Kubes and Elway. Both Kubes and Elway have said that Manning was not happy about being told he was not going to play.

Can you give a link as to what you just posted as to where Kubiak and Elway made those comments? I would like to see and read that. Also what's up with calling Kubiak Kubes?

Can you give a link as to what you just posted as to where Kubiak and Elway made those comments? I would like to see and read that. Also what's up with calling Kubiak Kubes?

It was pretty much all over the internet that Manning was not happy being benched vs Chicago.. She will have no problem finding links. You're better served to counter that with remarks from " Kubes" saying that he would expect Manning to not be happy and pretty much all players want to give it a go rather than sit.

Here is story with Kubiak saying Manning was not happy about sitting vs Chicago, http://kdvr.com/2015/11/16/peyton-manning-will-sit-against-bears-brock-osweiler-will-start/

Here is video with Elway saying Manning disappointed not to be starting vs Chicago, http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-Access-Osweiler-to-start-first-game/d0f1d238-b5c0-43e1-a1e9-aa5a583caa06

Kubes is Kubiak's nickname.

Manning was on the sidelines every game of 2011. 

Was he? I only remember seeing him up in the coaches box as he was not allowed I thought to be on the sidelines right after the fusion for safety. If he was then seems even more bizarre that he would not be on the Denver sideline tomorrow.

Yep

Tvrib0l.jpg

He was up in the press box for the first few weeks as I thought then he was allowed by the doctors to go to the sideline as his recovery was going well and there was no safety risk.

Peyton Manning returning to sideline, hopes to be back soon

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/story/2011-10-07/manning-sideline/50685082/1

And Manning's injury could in all likelihood be season ending as well. Him having ties to the team don't mean anything. Either way, the stories floating around about him not being at the facility are blown out of proportion.