Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breer: Peyton poised for possible executive role after retirement

bap1331

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000579224/article/week-10-notebook-challenges-of-nfl-life-in-age-of-viral-media

If he can be the coach next year. And I'm sure irsay would give it to him anyday, we're talking a serious contender here. This guy understands defenses and knows how to run offenses.

Seriously...better than hearing Saban as possible coach next year...

An executive is not a coach. You did read that right? Better than hiring Nick Saban?? Show me an example of a former player that was a HC in the NFL immediately after he retired. There is absolutely no chance that Manning will be a head coach anywhere at this time next year.

I can't think of any in the NFL but Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher both became head coaches in the NBA directly after retirement.

Both the Knicks and Nets would have been better had they suited up themselves.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000579224/article/week-10-notebook-challenges-of-nfl-life-in-age-of-viral-media

If he can be the coach next year. And I'm sure irsay would give it to him anyday, we're talking a serious contender here. This guy understands defenses and knows how to run offenses.

1. Peyton would not be a better coach than saban

2. An executive is not a coach

Why should Manning become an executive in the NFL when he has the power and the funding to own a team? I don't know but I think it is just wishful thinking?

You have to have a willing seller to buy a team. And coming up with over a billion dollars won't be easy

I can't think of any in the NFL but Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher both became head coaches in the NBA directly after retirement.

NBA coaches, IMO, are more personality managers than anything else.

1. Peyton would not be a better coach than saban

2. An executive is not a coach

Even better!!! He can be a gm!!

I still think when Peyton retires, he'll take some time off from football and focus on his family. He doesn't have to be in a rush to come back, and honestly he doesn't owe anyone anything. The man can do as he pleases.

I think you're right....when his kids get older, he can get back into the game

NBA coaches, IMO, are more personality managers than anything else.

Not only that it's a big difference with coaching 22 starters with 53 men rather than 5 starters with 11 or 12 men. Coaching basketball would have to be much easier because it's a much easier game to make game plans for.

We all know how many HoF players have embarassed themselves as coaches. I think Peyton has the best chance of being an exception. He's got coach written all over him...always has. He would also make a good hands on type exevutive like Elway imo.

How many HOF NFL players have coached?

OC maybe. But HC? Peyton looks tired of football right now. If need a break for a year at least.

The Colts need a good person to work hands on with Luck, and Manning is not going to be the one to do it. My gut tells me he goes into politics after he's done with football, since he's technically, already treated like a politician anyway. 

Just cause he was an awesome quarterback don't mean he's going to be an awesome coach or GM. This could backfire. 

Being a GM is almost as stressful as being the head coach.

It's a 24/7/365 lifestyle.

There's almost no off-season.      It's year round non-stop work.

He won't see his wife and kids all that much.      He might see them less than he has as a player.

I'm thinking he becomes a minority owner and has some input into the day to day operations,  but not full control.

And then he enjoys watching the games from the owners box on game day.

If Peyton wants that lifestyle then he can be a GM.       But otherwise,   I'm not seeing it.....

Being a GM is almost as stressful as being the head coach.

It's a 24/7/365 lifestyle.

There's almost no off-season.      It's year round non-stop work.

He won't see his wife and kids all that much.      He might see them less than he has as a player.

I'm thinking he becomes a minority owner and has some input into the day to day operations,  but not full control.

And then he enjoys watching the games from the owners box on game day.

If Peyton wants that lifestyle then he can be a GM.       But otherwise,   I'm not seeing it.....

I agree. (just ask Grigson) When teams loose the fan base wants everybody from the GM down to the position coaches fired. The owner is grilled by the media on what they are going to do. There is not enough quality people to go around and when there is one found, they move up fast. Manning may just take a lot of time off and get himself healed and just kick back and take his time on figuring out what he wants to do. There will be many doors he can walk through.

Basketball is incredibly more simple/dumbed down of a sport compared to football though, from the players on the court, to the gameplans, to the entire program

I think he owns 27 of them already. I heard that a couple years ago. He needs the money!! I hope he does not coach  because being a great player means nothing when it come to coaching. Bart Starr and Mike Singletary are examples of that. Granted some players have made it (Jack Youngblood and the Panthers coach) but Manning's work ethics if he attempts to force it on todays professional players, will not work. Most player today are convinced the NFL owes them a living unlike Manning and Bradt to name just two.

I think he owns 27 of them already. I heard that a couple years ago. He needs the money!! I hope he does not coach  because being a great player means nothing when it come to coaching. Bart Starr and Mike Singletary are examples of that. Granted some players have made it (Jack Youngblood and the Panthers coach) but Manning's work ethics if he attempts to force it on todays professional players, will not work. Most player today are convinced the NFL owes them a living unlike Manning and Bradt to name just two.

Jack Youngblood? He coached?

I am like you, Youngblood didn't coach as far as I can remember. He modeled underwear. :)

He was in Rams front office and a CFL teams then President of Orlando in Arena Football. He was never a head coach. I don't see Peyton as a coach in any capacity. If he stays around the game it won't be on the sideline IMO

Breer speaks of a widely held assumption in NFL circles...

Does anyone here believe that folks in 'NFL circles' have spoken with Peyton about his future? Even once?

I am sure it has been brought up but Manning more than likely side steps any questions about his future. He may not know what he is going to do. He makes close to his NFL money in endorsements so he will more than likely continue that. He owns 21 Papa Johns, an endorsement with Nationwide Insurance, Gatorade, Buick and Direct TV. His wife is part owner of the Memphis Grizzlies.

As far as an executive position goes....everyone in Tennessee not named Marcus Mariota seems to have the word "interim" attached to their official title.

If he's truly eyeing a post-career executive position, I'd put my money on the Titans.

As far as an NFL ownership?

I hope/dream/hallucinate that in a few years Peyton leads an ownership group in the purchase of a majority interest in...yes...the Indianapolis Colts, with Peyton the managing general partner.

With all due respect to Carlie Irsay...that, IMO, would be the best possible stewardship of the Colts franchise.

Now that I'm done planning out other people's lives I'm gonna get me a coffee. :P

I think he'd probably do better as a private coach for QBs. Film study, mechanics, footwork, etc. He could take clients as he wished, set his own hours and parameters, less travel so he could spend time with his young kids, etc. Maybe he'd eventually miss the competition, and then he could transition into coaching or executive work, but I doubt he takes any official positions in football immediately after he retires.

I think that Peyton will end up working for ESPN or CBS or FOX as an analyst/commentator. He'd be great at that. And hopefully put someone awful ( I'm looking at you, Ray Lewis or Shannon Sharpe) out of a job.

Problem with that is he would actually bring some intelligence and knowledge to the game so ESPN is defiantly out of the question. 

I think Peyton would be excellent and I much rather hear him than say Troy Aikman.  

An executive is not a coach. You did read that right? Better than hiring Nick Saban?? Show me an example of a former player that was a HC in the NFL immediately after he retired. There is absolutely no chance that Manning will be a head coach anywhere at this time next year.

I agree with you but I think it could happen in the future.  I could see a player retiring and coaching the next year.  It's happened twice in back to back years now in the NBA.  I know the NBA and NFL are completely different but I think it'll eventually happen.