Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dezmen Southward

Colts rock

Falcons 3rd round pick from 2013. Went to Wisconsin.  6'2" 210  4.38 forty.  Has run as high as 4.31.  Nice measurables and speed, can play corner or safety(mainly plays safety).  He was drafted by the previous Falcons regime.  Dan Quinn drafted a couple cornerbacks this year and went with his guys.  I'm not calling the kid a star or anything, but I'm interested to see how he pans out here in Indy.  Could be a nice piece with some coaching and more playing time if given the chance.

Falcons 3rd round pick from 2013. Went to Wisconsin. 6'2" 210 4.38 forty. Has run as high as 4.31. Nice measurables and speed, can play corner or safety(mainly plays safety). He was drafted by the previous Falcons regime. Dan Quinn drafted a couple cornerbacks this year and went with his guys. I'm not calling the kid a star or anything, but I'm interested to see how he pans out here in Indy. Could be a nice piece with some coaching and more playing time if given the chance.

Hmmm interesting. Pags does have a way with dbs. Maybe he will turn out.( fingers crossed)

Falcons 3rd round pick from 2013. Went to Wisconsin.  6'2" 210  4.38 forty.  Has run as high as 4.31.  Nice measurables and speed, can play corner or safety(mainly plays safety).  He was drafted by the previous Falcons regime.  Dan Quinn drafted a couple cornerbacks this year and went with his guys.  I'm not calling the kid a star or anything, but I'm interested to see how he pans out here in Indy.  Could be a nice piece with some coaching and more playing time if given the chance.

Toler sidekick/poor play insertion? Or, eventual replacement?

He's JAG.  Ther'es nothing intriguing about him other than his speed. If I recall correctly, he went a little higher than he should have because he was more of a project player.  Needed at least a couple years because he was pretty raw.  He never really got a shot in Atlanta (or perhaps he just never played well enough to warrant time, didn't follow ATL that closely).  Don't expect much, but I suppose the possibility is always there that he could at least be a decent rotational guy.

A late bloomer in college.

Great measureables.     He's got more than just speed,  he's got size as well.

If I remember correctly,  he's a good kid too.

Feels like he was drafted a little high based on his raw physical talent.

But Pagano might be the type of guy to get the most out of him.       We appear to like him at Safety.      Costs us nothing to take a look.

I very much like the signing.

A late bloomer in college.

Great measureables.     He's got more than just speed,  he's got size as well.

If I remember correctly,  he's a good kid too.

Feels like he was drafted a little high based on his raw physical talent.

But Pagano might be the type of guy to get the most out of him.       We appear to like him at Safety.      Costs us nothing to take a look.

I very much like the signing.

Thanks. Had no idea who this kid was. Hope he works out.

Hmmm might have to dig a little more into this kid, sounds very interesting. I wonder if his hands are any good, we need another ball hawker

I watched every game he played in college, and he gets beat deep alot while playing safety.  His hands aren't horrible but he didn't have many college INTs (2)

a lot of Badger fans cursed at him due to him getting beat deep consistently, but he was typically around the ball a good amount.  he does have the physical attributes you want in the NFL.  Was a seldomly hurt (don't believe he missed a start) leader on the defense

I like this signing too. He was like a 2nd or 3rd round pick 2 years ago. Like NCF said he was raw, but the kid's got a ton of potential IMO. Hopefully he can reach his full potential with us.

Not trying to down the kid because I've never heard his name but with that size and speed and raw ability, doesn't it sound exactly like Price? That was a tall speedy kid we drafted/udfa player we picked up a few drafts back and he just couldn't seem to thrive under the Pags Magic tutelage.

At 6-2 and a reported 4.31-40 that's nice numbers but how was he in his college program in regards to coverage? Was he man or zone or did he play mainly CB or a lot of safety? Would love to see a replacement for Toler, that guy is just not worth his salary or spot any longer.

I watched every game he played in college, and he gets beat deep alot while playing safety. His hands aren't horrible but he didn't have many college INTs (2)

a lot of Badger fans cursed at him due to him getting beat deep consistently, but he was typically around the ball a good amount. he does have the physical attributes you want in the NFL. Was a seldomly hurt (don't believe he missed a start) leader on the defense

how'd he look at cb?

The more I read these "draft expert analysis" the more I think its all a crap shoot! The NFL.com article lists one "weakness" as "short arms". Then the CBS article lists a "strength" as "long arms"? Ok? So which is it? Long arms that turn into alligator arms in traffic? 

The more I read these "draft expert analysis" the more I think its all a crap shoot! The NFL.com article lists one "weakness" as "short arms". Then the CBS article lists a "strength" as "long arms"? Ok? So which is it? Long arms that turn into alligator arms in traffic? 

The answer is to look for yourself and draw your own conclusions. He does have shorter arms, but the question is whether it affects his play. 

His measurables made him popular, but he was overdrafted and never did anything. Not a bad PS pickup, and maybe he'll get coached up and be able to contribute, but I'm not holding my breath. At best, he's a gunner.

So you don't think he could develop into a good starting safety? I knew he was drafted a bit early, but I thought eventually he would end up being a pretty good starter.

So you don't think he could develop into a good starting safety? I knew he was drafted a bit early, but I thought eventually he would end up being a pretty good starter.

Anything's possible. Just saying I'm not getting my hopes up about our latest practice squad addition. Most of these guys are in and out within a matter of weeks anyways.

The answer is to look for yourself and draw your own conclusions. He does have shorter arms, but the question is whether it affects his play. 

My point was 2 reputable sources, NFL.com and CBS sports having 2 total different views of strengths and weaknesses..some is opinion but in this case length of arms isn`t? Its like calling a 5`8" guy "tall"  

My point was 2 reputable sources, NFL.com and CBS sports having 2 total different views of strengths and weaknesses..some is opinion but in this case length of arms isn`t? Its like calling a 5`8" guy "tall"  

I guess I came across snarky. Didn't mean to. My point was that you're probably better off drawing your own conclusions, because sometimes these online 'reports' feature made-up information. This is a good example. It's hard to understand why anyone would ever say that he has long arms, or that his arm length is a strength.