Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck expected to miss at least one month- report

ColtsBlueFL

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14103777/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-expected-miss-least-one-month

"The Indianapolis Colts realistically expect quarterback Andrew Luck to miss at least‎ a month with a lacerated kidney and a partially torn abdominal muscle, league sources told ESPN's Ed Werder."

I'm still hoping we only need MH for 5 games, and that he can go 3 - 2 over that time span.  Clearly, Keenan Allen's lacerated kidney was worse, as the Chargers were informed it would be 6 weeks at least and even then he wouldn't be cleared for contact. {I believe he had an interventional procedure to stop his bleeding}  That is why K. Allen was IR'd.  There was no way I expected 2 weeks for Luck, and pretty much said so here.  3-4 weeks is typically the bottom end, and just goes up from there.

I remain optimistic Luck may be ready sometime between 4-6 weeks.

luck_month_zpsuigxe1xe.jpg

If 3-4 weeks is typically bottom end, it's possible he misses the max amount and/or more if there are any setbacks.  I guess we'll find out over time, but I think my position is, keep him out until he is 100%.  If that means throwing in the towel for the season, so be it.  

I agree, and I really believe the medical staff will not clear him for contact until he is 100%.  This is internal organ trauma, not joints and ligaments.The healing will have to 'run its course'.  There's really  no special magic to speed up the healing for this, I'm afraid.  But more than a few minimally invasive procedures to correct any complications.  hopefully those don't surface and with rest and time he is back to normal soon.

Here is a report from ESPN's "Injury Expert"  Stephonia Bell.

It's an interesting read and not filled with medical jargon.    

It does NOT address the stomach tear,  but explains the status of the kidney....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/14657/injury-expert-andrew-luck-needs-proper-time-for-injury-to-heal

If 3-4 weeks is typically bottom end, it's possible he misses the max amount and/or more if there are any setbacks.  I guess we'll find out over time, but I think my position is, keep him out until he is 100%.  If that means throwing in the towel for the season, so be it.  

Exactly.  Ride Matt for as far as he can take us.  And pray to whoever that Matt survives the season.  

Why wasn't he wearing padding during Broncos game?

He was.  It's in internal injury cause by blunt force trauma.  My sister was in a car crash a year ago, he had a lacerated Kidney, lung and spleen.  All of which did require surgery.  Padding only goes so far to reduce the shock wave,  they had on the news last night, he was hit by the broncos defenders at a combined speed of 32 mph, that's a hard impact.

The only game we MUST in is the Texans game...to keep the "never won in Indy" train rolling.

I said this in another post and I'll repeat it here. Hang 'em up for the year and let Luck heal mentally and physically. Let Matt take us as far as he can and let's regroup next year. (more likely with a new staff)

What's he going go offer coming back week 16 or 17? Too many variables with this team right now. With Chud's changes and Luck not being able to participate, except for in the classroom, we might as well close out the season with Matt.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14103777/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-expected-miss-least-one-month

"The Indianapolis Colts realistically expect quarterback Andrew Luck to miss at least‎ a month with a lacerated kidney and a partially torn abdominal muscle, league sources told ESPN's Ed Werder."

I'm still hoping we only need MH for 5 games, and that he can go 3 - 2 over that time span.  Clearly, Keenan Allen's lacerated kidney was worse, as the Chargers were informed it would be 6 weeks at least and even then he wouldn't be cleared for contact. {I believe he had an interventional procedure to stop his bleeding}  That is why K. Allen was IR'd.  There was no way I expected 2 weeks for Luck, and pretty much said so here.  3-4 weeks is typically the bottom end, and just goes up from there.

I remain optimistic Luck may be ready sometime between 4-6 weeks.

Yeah Keenan Allen had to have emergency surgery.  Apparently Luck doesn't need that.

He was.  It's in internal injury cause by blunt force trauma.  My sister was in a car crash a year ago, he had a lacerated Kidney, lung and spleen.  All of which did require surgery.  Padding only goes so far to reduce the shock wave,  they had on the news last night, he was hit by the broncos defenders at a combined speed of 32 mph, that's a hard impact.

32 mph! Wow.

I guess the air bag failed to employ.

I said this in another post and I'll repeat it here. Hang 'em up for the year and let Luck heal mentally and physically. Let Matt take us as far as he can and let's regroup next year. (more likely with a new staff)

What's he going go offer coming back week 16 or 17? Too many variables with this team right now. With Chud's changes and Luck not being able to participate, except for in the classroom, we might as well close out the season with Matt.

If we are a division winner there is no reason for Luck not to play in the playoffs.

# that. If Luck is healthy, he should play. Especially come playoff time. This team isn't throwing in the towel. That's nonsense. Luck won't have that, either.

I've been assuming he's out for the full 6 weeks. He probably can't throw at all until the abdominal is healed, and that's the worst part, to me. He's been rusty all year, and it doesn't help that they had to shut his arm down for two weeks when his shoulder was hurt. And now, he can't throw for another stretch.

He should be able to practice lightly, with no contact, in two weeks or so. They can use that time to really work on his fundamentals -- footwork, motion, release point, etc. Not that they aren't already, but he'll have limited reps in practice, with MH taking the starter's work. Meanwhile, they can build Luck back up.

As long as we can win 3 of the next 5, we should still lead the division (unless another team gets hot). I think MH should be fine. Remember, he played the second half of the Jags game and the entire Texans game while battling a serious illness. If he's fresh and healthy, he should be able to handle the load. I hope Chud makes the proper adjustments, like Pep did.

As long as we can win 3 of the next 5, we should still lead the division (unless another team gets hot). I think MH should be fine. Remember, he played the second half of the Jags game and the entire Texans game while battling a serious illness. If he's fresh and healthy, he should be able to handle the load. I hope Chud makes the proper adjustments, like Pep did.

Re: Pep - It always feels weird reading that, because it was so often not the case...

The ultimate irony is that Pep's two best games were when MH was starting, and then he was unable to call good games for Luck. We fire him, and then a week later, MH is back. 

Well, at this point in the season with all that's gone wrong, nothing really surprises me anymore. I'd say that it couldn't get much worse, but I woudln't want the football gods to misconstrue it as an invitation to prove me wrong.

Well, at this point in the season with all that's gone wrong, nothing really surprises me anymore. I'd say that it couldn't get much worse, but I woudln't want the football gods to misconstrue it as an invitation to prove me wrong.

Yeah, you watch your filthy mouth over there...

I've been assuming he's out for the full 6 weeks. He probably can't throw at all until the abdominal is healed, and that's the worst part, to me. He's been rusty all year, and it doesn't help that they had to shut his arm down for two weeks when his shoulder was hurt. And now, he can't throw for another stretch.

He should be able to practice lightly, with no contact, in two weeks or so. They can use that time to really work on his fundamentals -- footwork, motion, release point, etc. Not that they aren't already, but he'll have limited reps in practice, with MH taking the starter's work. Meanwhile, they can build Luck back up.

It is agonizingly amazing that these two injuries could potentially carry about the same timetable for full recovery.  From the reports, that would be the 4-6 week range.  Whichever of the two takes longer to heal, that will be how long it takes for Luck to play in a healthy state.  Of course, they could try to get Luck Practice not completely healed from the abdominal muscle tear, but at what cost? And what effect on performance?  I expect them to clear him after he demonstrates full range of trunk motion pain free. At no cost will the medical team let him practice / play until the kidney is 100% healed.  I'm with you.  I think if MH plays 4, he can go 3 - 1.  If he has to play 5, he could go 3 - 2.  I'd be a touch worried about the Texans game, depending on Hasselbeck's health at that point.  But it would be fantastic if MH pulled 4 - 1 out of his magic hat.

I'd be shocked if he's not back in 3, lol.

I guess this means you're prepared to be shocked?  That is a possibility, but 3 weeks is on that utmost optimistic side.  And Andrew also has a partial tear of the abdominal oblique muscle; part of the core muscle group.  So I'm hoping for what you want, but the possibility of you being shocked is real, unfortunately.

The Colts have already announced they feel it could be at least a month and are prepared for a longer time frame for Andrew's return.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/colts-andrew-luck-likely-out-at-least-a-month/

Don't most players look pretty pooped after a game? And he was also still recovering from the flu at the time.

I just worry about him taking hits. Although he didn't seem to take many versus Luck. He got rid of the ball a lot faster. I think if we game plan like we did during those two games he'll be fine.