Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinateri the GOAT?

RockThatBlue

I think we have the best punter/kicker combo in the league, and potentially of all-time.  People are talking about McAfee as one of the best punters in NFL history already, with some on these forums comparing him to Ray Guy and even saying he's better than Ray Guy.  As for Vinny, his resume speaks for itself.  They don't come more clutch or reliable than Vinny.

I think we have the best punter/kicker combo in the league, and potentially of all-time.  People are talking about McAfee as one of the best punters in NFL history already, with some on these forums comparing him to Ray Guy and even saying he's better than Ray Guy.  As for Vinny, his resume speaks for itself.  They don't come more clutch or reliable than Vinny.

It is an odd thing, but Indy has had more than their share of Top Pro Bowl punters and kickers over the years.   I recall when Hunter the Punter and Vanderjagt (who was for a time the most accurate kicker ever who famously choked and missed the short game tying kick in the playoffs against eventual Superbowl Champs Pittsburgh)  were Pro Bowlers, and there's been more than them.   

There was another kicker who was really good while Hunter the Punter was here and they both made the pro bowl circa 1994 or 1995 and I have a Colts hat they signed for me when my company did some work and we had them come out to greet our customers.  I don't think it was Vanderjagt, can anyone remember the guys name? 

It is an odd thing, but Indy has had more than their share of Top Pro Bowl punters and kickers over the years.   I recall when Hunter the Punter and Vanderjagt (who was for a time the most accurate kicker ever who famously choked and missed the short game tying kick in the playoffs against eventual Superbowl Champs Pittsburgh)  were Pro Bowlers, and there's been more than them.   

There was another kicker who was really good while Hunter the Punter was here and they both made the pro bowl circa 1994 or 1995 and I have a Colts hat they signed for me when my company did some work and we had them come out to greet our customers.  I don't think it was Vanderjagt, can anyone remember the guys name? 

Cary Blanchard was the kicker before Polian brought in Vanderjagt.  Chris Gardocki was the punter.  Gardocki's wife would do a Sunday morning Colts show with Kevin Call and someone else for a season or two.  It actually was a pretty good look at the Colts.

I'm glad someone brought up Adam V.

He was great at Carolina in the rain..and he beat Denver with a 55-yarder..

He may be the best kicker in NFL history and he can play a few more yeras

I think we have the best punter/kicker combo in the league, and potentially of all-time. People are talking about McAfee as one of the best punters in NFL history already, with some on these forums comparing him to Ray Guy and even saying he's better than Ray Guy. As for Vinny, his resume speaks for itself. They don't come more clutch or reliable than Vinny.

I agree. Had to change my profile pic on here to those two. Best combo in NFL history, certainly modern history.

I don't know who else is better.

I'm relatively young, but I've never seen a better kicker and I watch a lot of NFL.

Jankowski has the best leg still in the NFL but plays for the Raiders.

His accuracy doesn't seem too great.

Maybe someone with stats can break this down.

Adam is money.

Here's the question though.

Does he go on as a Pat or a Colt?

Idk. Maybe just go neither.

He's definitely in the HOF.

It's quite possible he could be retired in both ring of honors being the Pats and Colts. He helped the Pats win 3 SB's but he has played here now for 10 years and his game against Baltimore in the 2006 Playoffs = 5 FG's won the game for us and he got a Ring here too. He is the GOAT easily in my book.

It's quite possible he could be retired in both ring of honors being the Pats and Colts. He helped the Pats win 3 SB's but he has played here now for 10 years and his game against Baltimore in the 2006 Playoffs = 5 FG's won the game for us and he got a Ring here too. He is the GOAT easily in my book.

I'm talking the real HOF.

Obviously he's going to be in the "ROH" for the Pats and Colts.

Obviously he's going to be in the NFL HOF.

Which "cap/helmet" does he don?

He's probably best to not pick any.

I DO wonder which one he personally associates with more.

I bet it's the slimy Pats..............

Yeah that is a great question. Not sure on that one. He has been here so long now, maybe it will be us?? If we can win another SB while he is still playing to give him Ring #5 I think it would be us for sure. Only Charles Haley has 5 Rings. No other player has won more than 4 SB's.

Yeah that is a great question. Not sure on that one. He has been here so long now, maybe it will be us?? If we can win another SB while he is still playing to give him Ring #5 I think it would be us for sure. Only Charles Haley has 5 Rings. No other player has won more than 4 SB's.

I honestly don't care.

I just like the guy.

Comes to work, does his job, leaves.

There's a lot to appreciate there.

Just wait until we have a mediocre kicker and most fans will miss Vinny.

don't think you go into the HOF from a certain team you just go in as a player

Of course it would be as a Patriot. He kicked perhaps the most famous FG of all time in the Snow Bowl game; he kicked SB game-winning FGs with time expiring as a Patriot, etc.

I hate to say it, but I agree.  His most iconic kicks were as a patriot.  But, like Colts_Fan12 said:

don't think you go into the HOF from a certain team you just go in as a player

I don't remember Haley going in the HOF as either a Cowboy or a 49er, he just got in as a player.  If anything, Vinny would go in as BOTH a Pat and Colt, like Haley went in as BOTH a Cowboy and 49er.