Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gore on pace for over 1000 yards

Gore currently has 599 yards rushing on 148 carries which is alittle over 4 yards a carry. with 7 games to go, gore only needs to average 58 yards a game to have our first 1000 yard rusher in almost a decade.

This past week was a tought test, as the Broncos have a fast, and very good run defense.  Should get easier for Gore as the season progresses.  Would hate to see him at less than 4 ypc on the year.  Never has done less than that and is one of the few backs in history who has had as many 1000 yd seasons and + 4 ypc.  

With a healthy Gore *and* a healthy Bradshaw, not to mention an O-Line that seems to be doing a better job of runblocking even on downs where the defense knows we're going to run, there's no excuse for the Colts to *ever* go an entire game without calling 30 running plays.

Even on the drives where Gore got 4 on 1st down, Gore got 4 on 2nd down and then Bradshaw got stuffed 3 yards behind the line on 3rd, I'll take that - at least they're TRYING to establish the run.  At least when they're ahead the stuffed run will drain 30 seconds off the clock (something an incomplete pass will NOT do).  Imagine if whatever the problems are with 3rd-and-short running actually get fixed.  The Colts will be nearly unstoppable.

This is the kind of team that needs balanced playcalling to be successful.

This past week was a tought test, as the Broncos have a fast, and very good run defense.  Should get easier for Gore as the season progresses.  Would hate to see him at less than 4 ypc on the year.  Never has done less than that and is one of the few backs in history who has had as many 1000 yd seasons and + 4 ypc.  

The only way Gore does not get 1000 is an injury or we fall behind quickly in games. Lets hope neither happens

If we ever lost Gore we would have some pretty good sized issues I think. I mean you can lean on Bradshaw a little but it wont be long until he is injured. Plus he is just not Gore, although Bshaw is pretty good. All you are left with from there is Tipton and Robinson.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Ballard didn't say it was definite.   He didn't rule it out.   He just said as of this minute.    I think he's hoping to find out in April and May.      He still might end up deciding Eason is OK as the back-up.   I was only trying to impress upon those in the "Throw Jacob Eason in and see what we have" crowd that Ballard has crushed that dream for 2021.    But I wouldn't rule out 2022....  at least not yet.  
    • TY - 2Y/22M - he can still play but he’s not Tyreek Hill taking the top of defenses anymore, and with his disappearing act at the beginning of the year I’m afraid to sign him any longer or with too much guaranteed. Partly for sentimental reasons I want him to stay, but I do think he’s still got some juice.    Mack - 1Y/1M - Likable player but due to his position and injury, no way can I justify giving him much more than vet minimum.    Houston - 1Y/8M - Fell off a lot this year compared to his first year. Still our best edge player, basically by default and I’d be hoping we can get a more 2019 performance out of him at arguably our weakest position on the team.    Autry - Walk. He will price himself out with an inflated sense of value because he’s gotten decent sack numbers, but he is the definition of JAG and I’d only keep him if he agreed to a minimum contract.    Rhodes - 1Y/6M - He was a stud this year. If we could guarantee that he won’t revert back to his last two years in Minnesota I would be willing to go longer and higher. With how much he fell off after getting paid the first time, I’m not giving him a long term deal.    Walker - 1Y/2M - He was playing a very small percentage of downs at the end of the year so I’m keeping him less based on ability and more based on leadership and football savvy.    Hooker - Walk. Both sides need to just move on. I’d keep him at minimum too but I think both sides want a fresh start. Also a little miscast in the current defense so no reason to force a square peg into a round hole.    Brissett - 1Y/5M - Too big of a fan of Brissett as a man to want to see him leave. I don’t want him starting but he’s a very solid backup and compared to the 20M we gave him last year, I can live with his salary being at 1/4 of that this year.    Pascal and MAC both tendered at 2.24M. I want to bring in Kenny Golladay or Allen Robinson and Pascal is JAG so he’s not falling into my future plans much. I’m a big fan of MAC and I wouldn’t mind seeing him play the Jack Doyle role. He’s a better blocker, has better hands, and is more explosive.    I may be lowballing some guys but I’d hate to fall into the trap of overvaluing our guys and keeping them just because you want to keep your own. Unfortunately, I think the five most important positions on the team also coincide with our five weakest positions on the team; QB, WR, CB, DE, and LT. Fortunately we’ve got a good cap situation and this is the perfect year to be needing a QB. 
    • If we let Walker Walk, (and I think it’s likely) it’s not because we want an upgrade.   It’s because we simply don’t play him enough.   I think East Street has the numbers in snaps, but I think Walker is roughly playing 25-30 percent of the snaps.   That’s it.    We can't pay him enough for that.   Some other team will PLAY him more so they will PAY him more.    When Walker is off the field, we are either playing a 4-2-5 or a 4-1-6.   Leonard plays basically 100 percent of the snaps and I think Oke is about 55-60 percent.     There is a method to our madness.  
    • I'm surprised some folks want to resign Walker. Imo we definitely need an upgrade.... I'd let him walk.
    • Colts have won one playoff game in 6 seasons. Some more losing seasons and this team is no longer even in the top half of NFL franchises. They would be mostly irrelevant. I can’t imagine Irsay going for that.   Ballard is definitely safe...but this is year 5 and I am assuming there is a bit more urgency than just waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along.
  • Members