Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com says don't blame our Oline

spartancolt

The Broncos blitzed like crazy, all game long. I didn't see blown protections, I saw well designed blitzes. 

I saw quite a few blown protections with Harrison.  He over-commits on the initial double team and leaves a huge gap between he and the other guard and Denver exploited that all night long.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw quite a few blown protections with Harrison.  He over-commits on the initial double team and leaves a huge gap between he and the other guard and Denver exploited that all night long.

Yeah that qualifies as a blown protection. What I meant is that blockers weren't just getting beat in one on ones, but the center absolutely should be handling those delayed middle blitzes. Harrison has always struggled with that, due to his slow feet and subpar awareness. 

I wish we could combine the best parts of Harrison and Holmes. That would be a player.

Numbers are deceiving. The problem with looking at numbers after a game is, u don't really know how the numbers got there. Scrambling for ur life back there is still added in the seconds ur behind the line. Seconds behind the line don't mean quality seconds. Just means any seconds, period. It's like looking at a players stats after a game that u didn't watch. If u look at the numbers and they're crushing numbers, you'll say wow, this guy crushed. But if his numbers came in bum time with bench players in, he didn't crush. It's not quality numbers, they're just numbers. Now, everybody sat there and watched the games and know how terrible the line was, but u let somebody deceive what u saw with ur own eyes with false numbers. Wow. Lastly, penalties are part of the rating of ur performance. If u draw penalties, ur playing terrible. How can u say, yeah, they played good, but just keep killing us with penalties? Lol. Then try to blame the best player on the team for taking it on his shoulders to try to make up for ur bummy playing?? So drawing penalties isn't bad? Wow. Drawing penalties lose games, period. It kills ur chance of winning. Just ask Denver.

Yeah that qualifies as a blown protection. What I meant is that blockers weren't just getting beat in one on ones, but the center absolutely should be handling those delayed middle blitzes. Harrison has always struggled with that, due to his slow feet and subpar awareness. 

I wish we could combine the best parts of Harrison and Holmes. That would be a player.

I would agree the individual players did not get beat often.

Hey... we agree.... I guess it takes a mope like Harrison to find obvious common ground! 

I don't think one NFL.com article should suddenly make everyone happy with the o-line, particularly if you read it close and don't just absorb the headline/lead as concrete fact. They rose to the occasion this week against Denver's D, but they're still making pretty easy mistakes. Luck is holding the ball trying to make things happen, but some of that time is him trying to defend himself.

The line isn't as bad as I thought, now that they're sort of figuring it out. But claiming that offensive problems aren't their fault is short sighted. their job is to block and protect. Our QB is getting destroyed. That's on them, even if he holds the ball longer. They have to figure out how to handle that. 

Numbers are useful, but the article uses them in interesting ways. Time given based on-- when Luck throws, right? How long he takes to throw based on how long it is between snap and pass. That doesn't account for any scrambling, for bad exchanges, etc. But more importantly, there's no measure kept (that I know of) for "lost his block" vs. "never touched the pass rusher." We've let people shoot through the line too often.

It's on Luck trying to be a super-man and carry us, but no one criticized him for playing that way against KC in the playoffs during that massive comeback. Or when he furiously threw himself into a comeback against ... well, take your pick.

He's a franchise QB. You protect him better than average (or worse). He's totally beat up right now. 

I don't think one NFL.com article should suddenly make everyone happy with the o-line, particularly if you read it close and don't just absorb the headline/lead as concrete fact. They rose to the occasion this week against Denver's D, but they're still making pretty easy mistakes. Luck is holding the ball trying to make things happen, but some of that time is him trying to defend himself.

The line isn't as bad as I thought, now that they're sort of figuring it out. But claiming that offensive problems aren't their fault is short sighted. their job is to block and protect. Our QB is getting destroyed. That's on them, even if he holds the ball longer. They have to figure out how to handle that. 

Numbers are useful, but the article uses them in interesting ways. Time given based on-- when Luck throws, right? How long he takes to throw based on how long it is between snap and pass. That doesn't account for any scrambling, for bad exchanges, etc. But more importantly, there's no measure kept (that I know of) for "lost his block" vs. "never touched the pass rusher." We've let people shoot through the line too often.

It's on Luck trying to be a super-man and carry us, but no one criticized him for playing that way against KC in the playoffs during that massive comeback. Or when he furiously threw himself into a comeback against ... well, take your pick.

He's a franchise QB. You protect him better than average (or worse). He's totally beat up right now. 

Saying the O Line has to learn how to handle Luck hanging onto the ball longer is like saying a chest has to learn how to handle a bullet hitting it

That is why it's beneficial to watch the games.  And when you watch the games this year you see that Luck is not scrambling for his life, bad exchanges or anything on anywhere near a consistent level.. I'd estimate less than 15% of the time.  When you watch the games you see Luck double clutching the ball, pump faking and then throwing to that same receiver.  You see a Luck that has been hesitant and then when he does finally decide to throw it it hasn't been on target.

Luck has been pretty bad this year and the pounding he has taken is largely on him.  There has been a lot of research and it's pretty conclusive...that a QB who averages more than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball has more TOs, less accurate, fewer completions and lower ypa than Qbs that get rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds.

And yes, Luck is immensely talented and he has helped lead the team to victory at times when it didn't seem possible.  Non of that has any bearing on the fact that he has been struggling this year... struggling with his reads, struggling with releasing the ball on time, struggling reading the defenses presnap.

Saying the O Line has to learn how to handle Luck hanging onto the ball longer is like saying a chest has to learn how to handle a bullet hitting it

Why was he hanging on to the ball longer? People just throw this out there like Tom Moore is his OC but he just decides to hold it and hold it. It reminds me of when people accused Joe Addai of too much dancing before the LOS......yeah, he had to.

That is why it's beneficial to watch the games.  And when you watch the games this year you see that Luck is not scrambling for his life, bad exchanges or anything on anywhere near a consistent level.. I'd estimate less than 15% of the time.  When you watch the games you see Luck double clutching the ball, pump faking and then throwing to that same receiver.  You see a Luck that has been hesitant and then when he does finally decide to throw it it hasn't been on target.

Luck has been pretty bad this year and the pounding he has taken is largely on him.  There has been a lot of research and it's pretty conclusive...that a QB who averages more than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball has more TOs, less accurate, fewer completions and lower ypa than Qbs that get rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds.

And yes, Luck is immensely talented and he has helped lead the team to victory at times when it didn't seem possible.  Non of that has any bearing on the fact that he has been struggling this year... struggling with his reads, struggling with releasing the ball on time, struggling reading the defenses presnap.

And he magically looked 100% better after a few days with Chud. Coincidence?

Why was he hanging on to the ball longer? People just throw this out there like Tom Moore is his OC but he just decides to hold it and hold it. It reminds me of when people accused Joe Addai of too much dancing before the LOS......yeah, he had to.

Some of it is receivers not getting open consistently. Other times its him trying to hard to make big plays and hitching 2-3 times which has led to some hits. We really could use another big physical wr to pair with Moncrief on the outside more often

Some of it is receivers not getting open consistently. Other times its him trying to hard to make big plays and hitching 2-3 times which has led to some hits. We really could use another big physical wr to pair with Moncrief on the outside more often

I think the majority of it was playing for a horrible OC who all to often played right into the hands of opposing defenses.

What they could use is for guys to run routes like Whalen does.  There is a reason why when Whalen is in there he's almost always open even though he's probably the slowest WR and one of the smallest WRs on the team.  He runs great routes which get him open.  That's what made Reggie last as long as he did.  It's what I think has been missing from the WRs this year, good route running to get open.  I am not the biggest Whalen fan in the world but I am willing to admit he's probably the best route runner the Colts have right now. 

This O line has 2 NFL caliber starers. AC and

JM. I don't believe anyone else would start for another team in the NFL Don't anyone kid yourself this line needs upgraded and I guarantee it will happen.

While I think he's really a back up quality lineman I think Reitz could probably start on some teams in the NFL.  Don't get me wrong he could still be upgraded but I don't think he's hot garbage either.