Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com says don't blame our Oline

spartancolt

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's true that Luck has the fourth most time of anyone to throw the ball, then kudos to the oline and we need to be less critical of them.

Outside of the occasional lineman getting blown up, they've played better than I expected. Reitz and Holmes had a rough game a few weeks back, but it's been the penalties that have been the achilles heel of this unit.

"our oline sucks" was the forum cliche comment 3-4 weeks ago. although their are a few around here who haven't caught up still pounding that drum

Not only was this forum throwing shade on them but the media as well. 4th most time to throw ? Wow ? looking at the lines across this league how many GM's would take that. Hopefully Chud can get Luck to change his style.

Great article!!  

Any pundit who starts off by saying the Oline is pathetic and we can't run the ball, automatically drops in my estimation of a real "expert."  By the way, Doyle should be embarrassed by some of his articles.  He's here in Indy and still doesn't appear to do his homework, but that's another story.

Anyway, we can run the ball and we can pass protect.  That stat of fourth longest time given a QB is eye opening.  We may not be the Dallas Cowboys Oline, but we are not bad either.  Average (which is ok) is a better description IMO.

Not only was this forum throwing shade on them but the media as well. 4th most time to throw ? Wow ? looking at the lines across this league how many GM's would take that. Hopefully Chud can get Luck to change his style.

you know the funny thing is that I've been saying that all Luck needs is a solid O line and he'd be almost unstoppable....well he's got a solid O line but between him trying to always make the big play and the play callings it's not done so well.

PS...who where the 3 qb's with more time to throw?

This week will be the biggest test for them yet.  Keep the penalties down, give Luck time, don't make Luck throw deep a lot, and don't hold on to the ball too long.  There's a lot of blame to go around.

And for goodness sake Andrew please throw the ball away when no one is open. I can't remember the last time I saw him throw it away.

It's the play calling. Tom Brady gets the ball out at 2.13 seconds because his Offense is designed to throw short quick slants and screens 80% of the time. For some reason Pep could never grasp this and just expected Andrew to make deep throws more than anything. Hopefully Chud changes the scheme.  Another thing too that is noticeable is Andrew isn't running out of the pocket as much this season as he has in the previous 3. He's standing more in the pocket a lot. He needs to start running more and just slide if a big hit is coming. He is more than capable of running.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!....Well except for the last little bit about the defense....Who I will add has been out on the field on average 33:14 per game....31st in the league.....While the numbers are not good the defense has been getting off the field on 3rd down.....12th best at only allowing 37% of 3rd down completions...Only to be put right back on the field again...The offense is only on the field 29:17 on average...24th worst

This week will be the biggest test for them yet.  Keep the penalties down, give Luck time, don't make Luck throw deep a lot, and don't hold on to the ball too long.  There's a lot of blame to go around.  

Agree, there is plenty of blame to go around.  Need to make shorter passes, hopefully Chud fixes this issue right off the bat and works on more in the bye week. 

Anybody who actually watches and doesn't have rose colored glasses on should know this by now. The proof of this being a Luck issue should have been made known to the world by JJ Watt. He never laid a hand on old Matt. Andrew's been wearing a Watt jersey for two games a year since he's been here.

Anybody who actually watches and doesn't have rose colored glasses on should know this by now. The proof of this being a Luck issue should have been made known to the world by JJ Watt. He never laid a hand on old Matt. Andrew's been wearing a Watt jersey for two games a year since he's been here.

play design

I am not really reading anything here that has not been mentioned by someone on this board many times, in some cases including myself.  (I stated weeks ago and since, that PENALTIES from this line were what lost us several games AND that Castonzo has been our worst O-Lineman this year, even saying that now that he's been paid, it looks like his play has gotten worse rather than better or even status quo from the past).  I know it has also long been discussed that Luck holds on to the ball too long, but in my case, I blamed (as did the article) the OC for not calling more check down plays and crossing routes using the TE's and Bradshaw (especially since it his a strength of his since he rejoined us) and Gore (not quite as reliable) than we have been all season.  And the Rushing stats are a bit misleading in the way he wrote that.  Are the Colts TEAM rushing stats among the RBs middling, or is Gore's numbers as an individual rusher middling?  Since Gore gets nearly all our significant carries compared to platoon teams (Cincy for example) who have two superior backs sharing the load.  That wasn't clear at all.  

I think Pep was the right one to go.  The also pointed that out.  I am STILL of the opinion that although Pagano has perceived weaknesses, I would prefer him to many of the names tossed around here and I bet there is at least a 50% chance we'll all state later how much we should have kept Pagano over -------Fill in the blank---- that they hired instead.  After all, beyond play calling and poor personnel decisions, what exactly has Pagano done wrong?  Sure, I would have strongly preferred Arian's myself, and even said that back when it was time to hand Pagano back the reigns as it was quite apparent how motivated and united Arian's had made our mostly weak talented team and young QB, TE's and receiver.   Now if Chud calls different timed plays to mix in with opportune bombs down the field and gets Luck to buy in and deliver, perhaps the regime can survive and the Colts will look more like the team they were expected to be.  I think this week is too soon to make that evaluation, but the final 7 regular season games after the bye should be a fair audition.  And I sure wish we'd found a better back up Center at the trade deadline.  Didn't have to be a big money starter, but perhaps a solid veteran backup. 

Watt and the Houston defense haven't done anything this year.  Bad comparison, and too little data.  I love the H man, but he played the two worst teams on our schedule (TN with Mariota was better than both, but the injuries since has equaled them out).  

JJ Watt is looking like the biggest busted big contract this year.  On par with Kaepernick except you HAVE to pay QB's that much, not a DL.  He couldn't deliver his team a winning record when he was playing at his peak, let alone playing average. 

Watt and the Houston defense haven't done anything this year.  Bad comparison, and too little data.  I love the H man, but he played the two worst teams on our schedule (TN with Mariota was better than both, but the injuries since has equaled them out).  

JJ Watt is looking like the biggest busted big contract this year.  On par with Kaepernick except you HAVE to pay QB's that much, not a DL.  He couldn't deliver his team a winning record when he was playing at his peak, let alone playing average. 

Your definition of busted contract is quite a bit odd to me...He has 8.5 sacks through 8 games and 9 tfl's and 5 more passes deflected

Yeah a 3-4 DE with only 40 tackles, 8.5 sacks and 9 stuffs is a big bust.  So he's on pace for 80 tackles, 17 sacks and 18 stuffs.  I wish the Colts could find a "bust" like that.  My word, have you watch any Houston game other than the Colts?  All teams are doing what the Colts did; doubling and tripling him because he is the only one on the Texans dline that can't be blocked man to man consistently. 

Your definition of busted contract is quite a bit odd to me...He has 8.5 sacks through 8 games and 9 tfl's and 5 more passes deflected

You're right, I didn't state that as I intended to, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.  Busted, in the way I meant to say it but failed, means to me that the contract itself is and was a bust.  Even playing out of his mind last year he couldn't put wins on the board to make his team competitive.  Spending that much money on that position is a bust if even an 8.5 sack guy can't change a dismal team's fortunes.  You can say the same thing about Houston in KC and Suh in Miami.  It is a luxury contract that a team struggling to win can't afford to make.  WATT can't make the difference which is why I don't think he can ever be considered a league MVP unless he is leading his teams to season and post season success.  He is proving yet again this season that the contract he received is a bust.   Hopefully that is more clear, even if you disagree.  

Yeah a 3-4 DE with only 40 tackles, 8.5 sacks and 9 stuffs is a big bust.  So he's on pace for 80 tackles, 17 sacks and 18 stuffs.  I wish the Colts could find a "bust" like that.  My word, have you watch any Houston game other than the Colts?  All teams are doing what the Colts did; doubling and tripling him because he is the only one on the Texans dline that can't be blocked man to man consistently. 

I explained it but will add that if we had JJ Watt on our team, we'd have said goodbye to nearly all our high profile free agents and be unable to sign many new ones with his and Luck's contracts on the books going forward.  That is a busted contract.  It does not supply wins and WATT is proving that even playing out of his mind last year, or like he is this year.  You disagree, but that's fine, I still think that contract will not pay off... he's the best case scenario proving it doesn't work.  Aren't massive contracts offered to sign players to deliver wins?  He can't do it.  He couldn't even beat our 40 year old back up QB. It is a bust. You and I almost never agree on anything so it's all good. 

I am not really reading anything here that has not been mentioned by someone on this board many times, in some cases including myself.  (I stated weeks ago and since, that PENALTIES from this line were what lost us several games AND that Castonzo has been our worst O-Lineman this year, even saying that now that he's been paid, it looks like his play has gotten worse rather than better or even status quo from the past).  I know it has also long been discussed that Luck holds on to the ball too long, but in my case, I blamed (as did the article) the OC for not calling more check down plays and crossing routes using the TE's and Bradshaw (especially since it his a strength of his since he rejoined us) and Gore (not quite as reliable) than we have been all season.  And the Rushing stats are a bit misleading in the way he wrote that.  Are the Colts TEAM rushing stats among the RBs middling, or is Gore's numbers as an individual rusher middling?  Since Gore gets nearly all our significant carries compared to platoon teams (Cincy for example) who have two superior backs sharing the load.  That wasn't clear at all.  

I think Pep was the right one to go.  The also pointed that out.  I am STILL of the opinion that although Pagano has perceived weaknesses, I would prefer him to many of the names tossed around here and I bet there is at least a 50% chance we'll all state later how much we should have kept Pagano over -------Fill in the blank---- that they hired instead.  After all, beyond play calling and poor personnel decisions, what exactly has Pagano done wrong?  Sure, I would have strongly preferred Arian's myself, and even said that back when it was time to hand Pagano back the reigns as it was quite apparent how motivated and united Arian's had made our mostly weak talented team and young QB, TE's and receiver.   Now if Chud calls different timed plays to mix in with opportune bombs down the field and gets Luck to buy in and deliver, perhaps the regime can survive and the Colts will look more like the team they were expected to be.  I think this week is too soon to make that evaluation, but the final 7 regular season games after the bye should be a fair audition.  And I sure wish we'd found a better back up Center at the trade deadline.  Didn't have to be a big money starter, but perhaps a solid veteran backup. 

WALL_OF_TEXT_zpssp621jgx.jpg

WALL_OF_TEXT_zpssp621jgx.jpg

Yeah, in this dumbed down twitter world, I realize two paragraphs is more than many can handle.  But to cool thing is this amazing invention called the scroll bar to breeze right past times when the word count overwhelms someone's reading skills.  

Yeah, in this dumbed down twitter world, I realize two paragraphs is more than many can handle.  But to cool thing is this amazing invention called the scroll bar to breeze right past times when the word count overwhelms someone's reading skills.  

I agree about the dumb down twitter world but I think his comment was more in reference to the post should have been at least 4 paragraphs, not two.

I explained it but will add that if we had JJ Watt on our team, we'd have said goodbye to nearly all our high profile free agents and be unable to sign many new ones with his and Luck's contracts on the books going forward.  That is a busted contract.  It does not supply wins and WATT is proving that even playing out of his mind last year, or like he is this year.  You disagree, but that's fine, I still think that contract will not pay off... he's the best case scenario proving it doesn't work.  Aren't massive contracts offered to sign players to deliver wins?  He can't do it.  He couldn't even beat our 40 year old back up QB. It is a bust. You and I almost never agree on anything so it's all good. 

So, when you said he was playing average you didn't really mean it?

And they did not give Watt the contract so he could single handily deliver wins nor does his contract prevent them from signing other good to great players.  But having him on the team does increase their chance of winning any game.

NOT having Lance Louis or Tod in the mix helps. They would look much better on paper without the penalties. They're serviceable but need some upgrades.

Both good points. The early season guard play was horrendous, and penalties have been a big issue with the line. Since they took Louis and Herremans out the line has been much better but they've still racked up a lot of holding calls.

So, when you said he was playing average you didn't really mean it?

And they did not give Watt the contract so he could single handily deliver wins nor does his contract prevent them from signing other good to great players.  But having him on the team does increase their chance of winning any game.

Are you saying WATT is playing the best of his career, or simply about what you'd expect.  I say he's playing an average WATT season, far from the crazy year with the INT's. Pick 6, Offensive TD's etc. of his top year.  So, yes, I say he is playing average.  Nothing out of the ordinary for JJ WATT.  As for the rest of your comment, you are making a mistake to pay a non skilled player position the same as a skilled player, preferably a QB who can WIN games in spite of the players around them.   So let's see how these long term big money deals work out for their teams records and compare WIN results later.  As I said before, they are a luxury contract, not a winning football move. 

Whoa!! Did u just compare Watt to Kap? Huh? Performance wise that is crazy..and Kap is only making around 13 mill a year..it is essentially a year to year contract.. It is team friendly..so on both fronts you are off base my friend

great post, I agree

Whoa!! Did u just compare Watt to Kap? Huh? Performance wise that is crazy..and Kap is only making around 13 mill a year..it is essentially a year to year contract.. It is team friendly..so on both fronts you are off base my friend

Yes.both have the same end result.  Yes, you are correct that SF was smart and can get out of that contract, I recall discussion about his contract at the time on this board I think (though it might have been ESPN) and the fact that Kaep really didn't get a good deal and I also recall many saying it was a good thing because he was over-rated, and they were right.  To your point, the end result is ironically the same.  After spending all that money this year, the Texans and 49ers may be battling it out to be worst team in the league.  Perhaps Houston should have used that money to trade for a QB (hell, the 3rd string guy for Philly looked better than what they have had) and let's be real, WATT or not, didn't Houston give up 42 points in the first half to Miami?  That is perhaps the worst first half slaughter against a Defense in our lifetimes (not sure, but dang, it has to be close).  

So Kaep hasn't gotten beaten down any worse than that, because you can't be beaten down any worse.   Why you guys are apologists for the lack of true impact that WATT has had on his team is puzzling.  I'd expect it on the Texans message board.  Sure, WATT is a good player, but his position, even in the very best case scenario, is not winning you football games.  And that is the goal right?  They might have signed a couple players on offense and defense with that same money and had a far more positive net winning gain than with WATT.   WATT is perfect for a team WITH a legit MVP caliber QB, but if you have to pay both of them, then there's holes elsewhere which could cost you.   But like I said to your compatriot on this issue, we just disagree.  It's all good.