Andrew Luck's play [Merge]

COLTSFAN12to13

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck is both great and very overrated, depending on what part of the game you're watching him play. He's one of the most inconsistent quarterbacks I've ever seen play in the NFL. How many times, even in earlier seasons, has Luck put the Colts in a deep hole early with poor play and bad interceptions only to get hot later to try to dig them out? You can't do that in this league and be considered a great quarterback.

You realize that Hasselbeck got those wins over two of the worst teams in the NFL right? And he needed 5 quarters to beat the Jags.

Luck was elite in '13 and '14 but has regressed. If we get the right staff around him he could turn it around.

If Andy Dalton can average 284 yards a game with a 107 QB rating theres no reason Luck can't be much better than that. We're talking about the same Andy Dalton that had a 10/33 86 yards and 3 pick game against the Browns less than a year ago.

Andy is better than luck now

>Yup. Luck showed in the 4th quarter that he can still be good, really good. He just can't do it for a full game. Not sure why.

Because any average QB could do what he did in the 4th Q.   When the Defense is tired and stops rushing, and stops playing man-to-man coverage and goes to a very very soft zone D, even a high school QB could make completions.

I would not be so fast to use that 4Q as "See Luck is great".  The defense handed it to him.

Luck hasn't paid his rent? He's carried an absolutely garbage team to three 11-5 seasons. Under the circumstances, I'm not sure any QB could have done better. Through 3.5 seasons, this orgainization has exacted about as much rent money from him as they could. About now, I'm guessing he wishes he would have forgone his senior year.

Luck hasn't failed this organization; this organization has failed Luck.

He's struggling and IMO is playing through an injury. He's not been good but half a season doesn't wipe out the 3 solid years he has had carrying a flawed football team.  Manning had rough patches along the way in his career as well, including a 6 INT game.  He also had a several game stretch in 2010 where he was awful with 11 picks in 3 games and Bob Lamey called for his benching on the radio not knowing he was live lol.  It happens, and i don't care who you are if you are a QB playing with a significant injury it can affect your play.  Just look at Manning in the playoffs last year.

Surprisingly, Manning had a higher passer rating (49.4) in that 2007 San Diego game than Rivers did (30.6).

Not trying to be funny, but isn't that the time for praise. The fact is most of us love the Colts win or lose, some express it with anger an make outrageous statements and because you don't criticize it somehow makes you a better fan. Not true. Andrew is not playing well, its true. It's the same offense that was leading the league for a while last year. It doesn't matter what Pep calls,  Andrew is the last one with the ball in his hand before the throw. You gotta know Pep's intention was not for Andrew to throw passes into triple coverage with open receivers running free underneath!

It has NOTHING to do with me being a  "Better" fan, the point is everyone is so quick to jump on the ol forums and spread negative nonsense. Yes Luck is having a bad season but the fact is this team was in a rebuilding phase they overachieved Lucks first few seasons now the obvious issues such as a horrible offensive line/Bad play calling/0 overall team discipline and many other issues are beginning to really show.  Hate all you want talk nonsense all you want I know what Luck is capable of and I still fully support him........ 

lmao really? This discussion for one off year when you KNOW he is fighting a shoulder and rib injuries??? I mean I always felt Luck was the next Favre, meaning he will trust his arm and 9 out of 10 times it works or incomplete the other 1 end up Interceptioned.

But come on outside of maybe 5 teams every other team in the NFL would take luck in a heartbeat.

Luck, just himself, has what it takes to be elite. There are other factors to this that are bringing his game down.

The first big factor is Grigson and the other powers-that-be who thought it was a good idea to give Luck a rookie OC his second year in the league. That was a terrible mistake. Luck can't go to Pep for advice because Pep is trying to learn on the fly as well - rather badly, I might add. Luck needed a seasoned NFL coach, with years upon years of experience, to keep Luck on a successful path.

Another factor is Grigson getting Luck an absolutely horrible line to play behind. Getting and trying to polish other teams excrements, or cast-offs, on the cheap, is not going to get the job done there. I get the salary cap game, but sorry, but you gotta spend some $$$$ on the line. Luck is getting killed and it is having a terrible influence on his overall game - everything from mechanics, to bad judgments under extreme duress. As we all already know, a solid line can make average specialty players seem above average based on their production. You can concentrate on getting and spending for WR's and RB's all you want, but without a solid line and a good scheme we are going to get what we have been getting this year.

Spend the $$$$ and draft picks on a solid o-line and an excellent defense, get a new OC who knows what the hell he is doing, and if Luck is as good as I think he potentially is, he can take average WR's and RB's and make them pretty good. Quit concentrating on getting him toys to play with. He can't play with them on his back all of the time.

I was watching an ESPN show earlier today with Ron Jaworski and Jeff Saturday where they broke down film of Luck's picks from earlier in the season.

He has been pump-faking right before he throws a lot of his picks and he did the same thing tonight on the first pick.  It seems as though he is being indecisive when he throws the majority of his picks and I hope he sees the clips that Jaws broke down.

The first pick tonight, I think with Allen and TY being in such close proximity he was about to throw to Allen then pulled back when he saw TY behind him, causing him to put it in between the 2 with a lack of zip that allowed for an easy Carolina interception.

I think I noticed this same thing on some of his other picks from Jaws' breakdown.  It's like he is ready to throw to someone then sees someone else running in front or behind his first choice.  I'm wondering if we should slow down with bunch sets and spread our WRs out more to disallow Luck from seeing multiple WRs in his field of view when getting ready to throw. 

I tend to agree with Saturday's recommendation -- simplify the game plan for now, make everything very easy on Luck and let him get some confidence back and then slowly start to add more complexity  back into the playbook.

Luck has not paid his rent so he should be sat down. Kaeperknick has been benched because he is not getting the job done and so should Luck. Hasselbeck (2-0) is a winner, Luck is a loser (1-5). It is mid-season and the Colts are tied with the Texans------Great!! How will the Colts formulate Luck's contract next year? Bench Luck to try to work on a winning roster to succeed in the playoffs if the Texans don't win the division. Bill Polian and Steve Young said last night before the sixth loss in eight games the Colts have no harmony in the players. They have three vets and the rest of the guys are not blending as a "team". This added to Polian saying there is no adhesive between the owner, GM and coach. Do the Colts still  play and reward Luck for this year like San Francisco and Detroit did only to have their QBs make fools of themselves and the teams they play for?

Merged your threads

I've said since the day I arrived here in May of 2012 that Andrew Luck would never be as good as Peyton Manning,  and I've repeated that a number of times over the years.

And I'm an Andrew Luck fan.    He's why I'm here.

That said,   he is suffering from (A)  an injury,  maybe multiple injuries,  (B) what is, IMO, a poorly conceived offensive system (the OC)  ©  he's got a very poor OL,  and  (D) he's got a substandard running game.

To me, Luck looks like a shell of himself.   While he looked dramatically better in the 4th quarter,  even there,  he was not (to me) all the way back to being Andrew.    He looks hesitant,  he looks confused,  he looks like he's forgotten everything he ever learned about playing QB,   and he's playing as if he has to do it all,  that he's just not going to get much help.     And he's trying to save jobs here.    This is a bad recipe for players playing up to their best.   

This is not a normal slump.     There are a ton of other reasons.    When someone this good is playing this bad for this long,   there are lots and lots and lots of problems.

I don't care if Luck isn't as great as some thought.     I don't care if Luck is over-rated to some here.    He's good enough to win a Super Bowl -- maybe even several of them -- IF he's surrounded by a supporting cast,   a consistently very good defense,  and quality coaching.    

I don't think he's currently getting it.

A lot of the game-timer/fair weathered/out-of-the-woodwork/bandwagon/where-with-alls/ should read this post by NCF a couple of hundred times before spouting off in effigy. It would serve them well. For that matter, this serves everyone well.

Nice post, man. (and its 100% correct!)

IF you want to defend Luck?  Fine.  But I don't care what level you play at, from Pop Warner to the NFL, you DO NOT make that throw that Luck made on 3rd down right before Vin kicked that game tying field goal.  He lobbed it into the middle of the field, into 3 man coverage, right into the defender.  It was pitiful.  You either throw it to a wide open wr or throw it away.  You do not do what Luck did.  Should have been intercepted and game over.  No way I can justify paying $25 M a year to someone who still makes plays like that in his 4th year.

Take a look at this. Hamilton calls the entire game. It's 7:15 left in the 4th quarter and the Colts go to hurry up. What happens? Luck is in control of the hurry up. They score 20 unanswered points to go ahead, and then tie. What happens next? Hamilton goes back to his play calling and they lose the game. If anyone didn't notice this, well, you didn't notice. I DID!

Luck may well be playing hurt but that's helped unmask some serious deficiencies in his game - primarily his poor decision making - that have always been there. At this point in his career Matt Hasselbeck has far less arm strength than even an injured Andrew Luck, but he played better than Luck has this year because of his ability to read defenses and get the ball out quickly. Luck doesn't do either of those things well so if he isn't 100% he looks like a very bad QB.

True, didn't they miss a game winning field goal? I mean, to say that Hasselbeck won us that game is a giant stretch. I'm not saying he was awful, but that was not winning offensive football that day.

They missed TWO game winning field goals - at 52 yarder at the end of regulation and a 53 yarder in OT when it was sudden death.

It has NOTHING to do with me being a  "Better" fan, the point is everyone is so quick to jump on the ol forums and spread negative nonsense. Yes Luck is having a bad season but the fact is this team was in a rebuilding phase they overachieved Lucks first few seasons now the obvious issues such as a horrible offensive line/Bad play calling/0 overall team discipline and many other issues are beginning to really show.  Hate all you want talk nonsense all you want I know what Luck is capable of and I still fully support him........ 

I do to, 100%! My main point with your post was that none of this is his fault. No one would fault him if he threw the ball out of bounds if no one was open, or just took off running because when he runs the defense has something else to account for, it makes them hesitate, But what he is doing is making bad choices and that is on him and even he would tell you that. I love this team, moreso than the player but I still believe he is the right guy, he has shown it in the past!!!!

I do to, 100%! My main point with your post was that none of this is his fault. No one would fault him if he threw the ball out of bounds if no one was open, or just took off running because when he runs the defense has something else to account for, it makes them hesitate, But what he is doing is making bad choices and that is on him and even he would tell you that. I love this team, moreso than the player but I still believe he is the right guy, he has shown it in the past!!!!

Someone who gets it.  Luck was praised his first 3 years because he carried this team.  No one can dispute that.  Even with his faults he carried this team on his back and took them far.  This year is the opposite.  He is holding this team back.  Rebuilding is over.  This team has holes (as do every team, yes, even New England) but it is a contending roster.  Luck is bringing this team down with his unexpected abysmal play.  And if he's heaped praises when he carries us, he needs to be taken to task when he holds us back.  Calling him out doesn't negate what he's done and it doesn't mean he can't get better than he was before he went south.  It is just acknowledging that he is playing below acceptable standards right not and I don't know who could dispute that?