Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Hilton worth signing longterm?

BProland85

If you were the GM, and Indy had just drafted Dorsett, would you still sign Hilton longterm as they did back in August?

Me personally, I would have tried to trade him for help elsewhere provided the value was right. For example, if we could have gotten OL Joel Bitonio from Cleveland and a 3rd or 4th in return, I'd make the deal. Indy would still be just fine at receiving options with Moncrief, Dorsett, AJ, Fleener, and Allen.

I think he is a tad soft as a WR and needs to be more physical off the line.

They couldn't really afford letting him leave but so far he has proven to be a disappointment this season. Still I think paired with Moncrief and Dorsett that trio will be deadly for years to come although Dorsett or Mincrief may develop into the true number one of the group over time. Luck has been looking Moncriefs way first an awful lot this season.

While I still do believe Moncrief is going to be better than Hilton, it was still worth locking him up. He's a beast. If you ask me to choose between drafting Dorsett or locking up Hilton, then drafting Dorsett wasn't worth it.

Of course I've said in the past I'm fine with Dorsett, but I'd be more open to trading him than Hilton.

If you were the GM, and Indy had just drafted Dorsett, would you still sign Hilton longterm as they did back in August?

Me personally, I would have tried to trade him for help elsewhere provided the value was right. For example, if we could have gotten OL Joel Bitonio from Cleveland and a 3rd or 4th in return, I'd make the deal. Indy would still be just fine at receiving options with Moncrief, Dorsett, AJ, Fleener, and Allen.

I think he is a tad soft as a WR and needs to be more physical off the line.

You realize you're only saying all this because the season has gone so poorly.

If the season had been going well,  this would not be an issue.

Let's not forget that Hilton gets double the attention/hits/checks along with mediocre QB play, suspect play calling, and those crushing penalties/turnovers that end up in fly-swatting drive & game killers. Not making excuses. Just the way it is. The combo of Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett could be a lethal one if orchestrated successfully. Heck, for that matter, Hilton & Moncrief the rest of the way along with Allen, Fleener, and Gore would be just as deadly if used in a manner of only mixing the offensive calls.

He is fast and has good hands, that's it, he is a top tier number 2 receiver, he is not strong or tough when he has a corner beating on him, he is not dez or AJ, I wont forget the play against the Pats where on 3 and 10 we needed 10 yards he caught it 6 yards deep ran about to 8 then straight out of bounce, didn't even make an effort for the first down in probably the most important game of our season, makes me think he got payed and is not all in with this team, but that goes back the need for new coaches,..

I'm still not sold on TY as a #1 receiver.  I don't think he plays with the physicality required to overcome his size yet (Steve Smith is the ideal here, in my opinion), but we did need to sign him.  He and Luck have a good rapport and he's been in our offense for several years.  He's essentially the leader of the WRs in that he knows the system and has been here the longest.

I think that with Luck, you need a lot of top quality catchers.

I dont know the difference between a No.1 and a No.2 receiver, to be honest,

I just want five or six quality guys for multiple receiver sets and because Wrs get hurt a lot with the hits they take.

I thought TY came cheap considering contracts like those of Dez Bryant

I'm still not sold on TY as a #1 receiver. I don't think he plays with the physicality required to overcome his size yet (Steve Smith is the ideal here, in my opinion), but we did need to sign him. He and Luck have a good rapport and he's been in our offense for several years. He's essentially the leader of the WRs in that he knows the system and has been here the longest.

That's my gripe about T.Y. - He's kind of soft.

That's my gripe about T.Y. - He's kind of soft.

I don't know about soft.  I don't think you can make it to the NFL (and have the success he's had) by being soft.  He just doesn't go out of his way to use his physicality against defenders.  If he played with the physicality of a guy like Steve Smith or Dez Bryant, he'd be an unquestioned #1, in my opinion.  He runs pretty good routes, he seems to have learned a lot from Reggie, he has good hands, he has all of that stuff down.  Just needs to add the physicality.

I want to see more of this.  Beautiful route to beat the best DB in the game.  Then uses a mean stiff arm to throw him to the ground.

Y'all make some moderately compelling arguments. But the other side of the viewpoint here. I was disappointed with the contact and value. TY may be the best #2 WR in the NFL. Do I want him on our roster. Heck yes! But not at our value paid. He's close to easily taken out of games by most good CBs in the league. Does he have 2-3 unreal game per season. Oh yeah. But y'all watch "Do Your Job" on 2014 Pats. Belichick didn't even gameplan for TY in AFC-C. I've got those issues.

Then I watched him take a first down conversion in our most important regular season game in 4 years and turn it upside down. 3D/10. He walks out at 7 yards. Crushed me as a football purist. Ok. Errrrrbody has a bad play. THEN, dude does a somersault into the end zone down 27-0 in mid-3D against a deplorable 'Saints team. Right in front of me. AND he twisted his ankle somersaulting into endzone down 27.

StruggleBus

I'm still not sold on TY as a #1 receiver.  I don't think he plays with the physicality required to overcome his size yet (Steve Smith is the ideal here, in my opinion), but we did need to sign him.  He and Luck have a good rapport and he's been in our offense for several years.  He's essentially the leader of the WRs in that he knows the system and has been here the longest.

I really Hilton, but that play during the Patriots game where Hilton just ran out of bounds as opposed to fighting for the first down was frustrating to say the least. I think that's kind of an example of what you're talking about.

Hilton is a Playmaker!

Maybe the only one we have AND you want to trade him?

If Jerry Rice and Randy Moss were on our team they would be having a down year with the way Luck has been playing.

hes far from the only one. Gore, Moncrief, Dorrsett, and Fleener are too. The problem is our biggest one, Luck is in a funk right now.

With that said even if I supported trading Hilton, and I don't, with his new contract it's not happening.

Hilton is a Playmaker!

Maybe the only one we have AND you want to trade him?

If Jerry Rice and Randy Moss were on our team they would be having a down year with the way Luck has been playing.

He is far from our only playmaker on offense. Moncrief, Dorsett, fleener, Allen, and Gore are all capable playmakers. We just need a capable OC who can create opportunities for them to make plays. And it would help if Luck would play like he's supposed to.