Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For Chuck and Ryan to Keep their Jobs......

ColtsBTM12

... we need more threads discussing this topic.

I'm not ranting saying that they should or shouldn't be fired (like most people who start these threads), but it's clear that they are on thin ice with their job security and I'm just interested to hear what my fellow Colts fans think it would take to save this season from being a complete failure.

I'm not ranting saying that they should or shouldn't be fired (like most people who start these threads), but it's clear that they are on thin ice with their job security and I'm just interested to hear what my fellow Colts fans think it would take to save this season from being a complete failure.

I honestly think if we don't make it back to the AFC Title Game nobody will be happy. That is what it will take IMO. Some wont even be happy with that because it is SB or bust in some peoples eyes. I really don't think that is fair considering you have Brady and Manning still in the league. They are in our Conference and have great teams. I thought beating Denver last season in the Playoffs was shocking and like winning the SB considering the team they had compared to our Roster and it only being Luck's 3rd year. They have a lot more talent on paper and so does the Pats.

If we make it to the AFCCG I think that Chuck has a better chance of sticking around... I think Grigson has a slightly longer leash...

I think Pep is gone unless the offense is top 5 for the rest of the season.

I really have no idea, though. The decision might have shady been made to fire one or all of them. Conversely, maybe they all stay and all of this posturing is about contact negotiations...

certainly beating Carolina will be the first step in keeping chuck. however I do not believe we will beat Carolina they are playing pretty well but im hopeful we will remain competitive and play a cleaner game..as for Denver as good as their defense is their offense doesn't scare a jv team right now and I don't believe its manning I believe its kubiaks system. I think Denver is a winnable game especially if we build some confidence from the Carolina game. Atlanta the last two weeks has been less than impressive i can realistically see us going on a good win streak here soon Caroline 50/50 I think we can beat Denver and Atlanta and if ben is still injured or playing below his capabilities I think that pitt is a winnable game as well the last challenge on our schedule is possibly Miami if they keep playing they way they have as of late we could still realistically end up 11-5 or 10-6 go into the playoff WC get a win a competitive game in the divisional round/ possible AFCCG and stay competitive and look good doing all of this and I think chuck could keep his job

(Finish the Sentence)

I don't care Pagano is a terrible coach and has a poorly prepared football team each and every week and has during his whole tenure here. It wasn't for Luck and his great combacks his record would be even worse. We need a tough coach who will have a displined football team who will be prepared for every game.

Super Bowl.

Actually. I see Coach Pags gone after this year.  IMO, Coach Pags was gone no matter how many we won.  Grigson low balled Coach's extension.  I could see Grigson letting Pagano go and keep the rest of the Staff.

Grigson, I don't have a clue.  Nobody can see Grigson's big plan.  If Grigson is let go, I could see Pagano stay and a staff turn over.

As I have no clue, I don't know.

this is just me but this going into a game unprepared/outcoached is nothing new, they have been doing this for two years.  you cant look at the 11 wins last year, it is how we played for them 11 wins, we show up to play after not for most the game way to much, and last few years Luck has been able to do a manning and coverup this team Bad coaching,  well it caught up to us this year, as Luck is not making the comeback anymore. Pep has to go today! no waiting. we can talk about Chuck after that change when we get to the Bye week. we are going into a game unprepared almost every game now, well surprised against the Pats we did not, but we came out of the tunnel the 2nd half unlike the first that is for sure. this is year 4 of this experiment and it is not working.  well that is if a superbowl is the goal, no way this coaching staff will ever achieve that.

anything less than a superbowl appearance and either grigs or pags will be gone, maybe both. Pep should be gone no matter what unless we put up 40 or more points the rest of the season. Manusky should be in the same boat, he should be gone no matter what unless we allow 15 points or less the rest of the season

When you hire a rookie head coach, you expect the coaching to get better as of Year 4. That's not the case right now. 

I could argue that Grigson has gotten better, but that's primarily because the 2013 offseason turned out to be so bad. But he won't make another Richardson deal, no matter how long he sticks around. Still, as another poster said, he's left A LOT on the table the past three seasons, and it's hurting us right now. Particularly with defensive personnel.

Unless things change drastically the rest of this year, I don't think Pagano can save his job. I don't know where Irsay is on Grigson, but I'd rather not keep Grigson under uncertain terms, let him hire another coach, and then wind up regretting it in two seasons. I think we could improve our staff all the way around, and if we're going to make big changes, we might as well make them all. That would be best for the long term development of the team, help us maximize Luck's potential, and eventually win multiple championships.

I don't care Pagano is a terrible coach and has a poorly prepared football team each and every week and has during his whole tenure here. It wasn't for Luck and his great combacks his record would be even worse. We need a tough coach who will have a displined football team who will be prepared for every game.

Not throwing Luck under the bus but a part of the Colts starting games slow is Luck himself putting the team in the hole at the start of the game. He wouldn't need so many comebacks if he would have played better earlier in the game. The Colts problems are not just coaching. The players themselves are as much to blame as any coaches.

anything less than a superbowl appearance and either grigs or pags will be gone, maybe both. Pep should be gone no matter what unless we put up 40 or more points the rest of the season. Manusky should be in the same boat, he should be gone no matter what unless we allow 15 points or less the rest of the season

Really? The best defense in the NFL gives up over a 15 point average per game. (Denver) Get real.

IMO, hind sight now, with the low ball 1 year offer to Pags, this was set into motion before the season even started and has been brewing before any of us realized. Maybe its been evident during weekly practices and preparations, even more so than the beatings this team took against quality opponents last year? Somebody has seen something they didn't like, (Irsay? hes been a GM and around a long time) why would they low ball offer after 3 successful seasons? This is like the seemingly happy couple getting divorced nobody expected

IMO, hind sight now, with the low ball 1 year offer to Pags, this was set into motion before the season even started and has been brewing before any of us realized. Maybe its been evident during weekly practices and preparations, even more so than the beatings this team took against quality opponents last year? Somebody has seen something they didn't like, (Irsay? hes been a GM and around a long time) why would they low ball offer after 3 successful seasons? This is like the seemingly happy couple getting divorced nobody expected

Who says it was a low ball offer?

I think he means that the fact that the offer was only a 1 year extension was an act of low balling by Irsay. I think you know that too. You're being a little pedantic. 

Well, words have meaning. To low ball means to offer less than what something or someone is worth. You can call it pedantic, but I think it's actually a critical distinction. And more importantly, Pagano had earned neither a raise nor a long term extension.

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

Per that list, Chuck Pagano, -- a one year defensive coordinator from a team that has been pumping out good defenses for over a decade -- makes more than Rex Ryan (two AFCCG appearances), Ken Whisenhunt (one SB appearance), John Fox (one recent SB appearance), etc. Prior to this season, he made more than Jason Garrett, Bruce Arians, etc. His first contract as a head coach was the same as long-tenured guys like Lovie Smith (with the Bears) and Marvin Lewis, and only slightly off from name brand retreads and hot commodities like Gruden, O'Brien and Kubiak. Long and short, he got a nice contract for being a rookie head coach with one year of coordinator experience.

And per reports, the one year extension they offered him would have come with a modest increase. I figure that would have put him at $5m at least. That's just a touch behind SB winners like McCarthy and Tomlin, and still off the pace of the highest paid guys. I don't believe they low-balled him.

Besides that, the reality is that Pagano hadn't earned a long term extension yet. He missed most of his first year, and his replacement had a .750 win percentage. His next two years didn't feature any improvement in the win column, and while the team went further in the playoffs, there was still a question of whether they were going to be able to take the next step. They didn't commit to him because he hadn't earned that kind of commitment yet.

IMO, Irsay has paid Pagano very generously. Even a one year extension without a modest increase wouldn't qualify as a low ball offer. I don't think Pagano had earned either a raise or a long term extension, so what Irsay offered isn't a low ball offer. 

Really? The best defense in the NFL gives up over a 15 point average per game. (Denver) Get real.

haha ya im over exaggerating a bit but just trying make the point that these 2 more than chuck and grigs have been bad enough that they would have to do something spectacular to keep their jobs, at least that's the way I feel

Well, words have meaning. To low ball means to offer less than what something or someone is worth. You can call it pedantic, but I think it's actually a critical distinction. And more importantly, Pagano had earned neither a raise nor a long term extension.

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

Per that list, Chuck Pagano, -- a one year defensive coordinator from a team that has been pumping out good defenses for over a decade -- makes more than Rex Ryan (two AFCCG appearances), Ken Whisenhunt (one SB appearance), John Fox (one recent SB appearance), etc. Prior to this season, he made more than Jason Garrett, Bruce Arians, etc. His first contract as a head coach was the same as long-tenured guys like Lovie Smith (with the Bears) and Marvin Lewis, and only slightly off from name brand retreads and hot commodities like Gruden, O'Brien and Kubiak. Long and short, he got a nice contract for being a rookie head coach with one year of coordinator experience.

And per reports, the one year extension they offered him would have come with a modest increase. I figure that would have put him at $5m at least. That's just a touch behind SB winners like McCarthy and Tomlin, and still off the pace of the highest paid guys. I don't believe they low-balled him.

Besides that, the reality is that Pagano hadn't earned a long term extension yet. He missed most of his first year, and his replacement had a .750 win percentage. His next two years didn't feature any improvement in the win column, and while the team went further in the playoffs, there was still a question of whether they were going to be able to take the next step. They didn't commit to him because he hadn't earned that kind of commitment yet.

IMO, Irsay has paid Pagano very generously. Even a one year extension without a modest increase wouldn't qualify as a low ball offer. I don't think Pagano had earned either a raise or a long term extension, so what Irsay offered isn't a low ball offer. 

Why didn't you lock this thread?  Same Topics...