Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is simply not that great,

I'm not going to argue the AFCS fact. We've all heard it we all know it. But don't pretend that years ago we didn't beat Seattle, SF, Den, Bal, KC considering where we were at. We overachieved early on and now we're right back into the Manning years. My major gripe with this current regime is how we can look stellar one week, then come out flat the next. Combination of Luck being a gunslinger and the play calls not helping sustain drives by launching it deep.

We won 37  games because were in the worst division in the history of sports. No three teams have been consistently bad as the Jags, Texans, and Titans. If Tannehill was in this division he would have won 30 or more games as well.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Luck is struggling and playing awful but the whole team is struggling and the reason behind them is a) lack of talent and b) bad coaching. I think it is now the third straight years were the Colts are struggling with sloppy starts and look rusty and unprepared going into a game and it's got worse year after year. Totally unacceptable. Blaming Luck and ignoring what he did the last three seasons is just dumb in my eyes. Sorry but we have to discuss the whole coaching staff and our general manager before we even blame a guy that was a main reason the Colts made the playoffs the last three years, the reason the Colts made so many comeback wins. And a huge reason is that we still fighting the same issues we had three years ago and couldn't find any solution. Can't protect the QB, can't run the ball, can't stop the run, can't get any significant pressure etc. 

There were SO MANY performances even WORSE than Lucks, that you certainly aren't being fair.  To say Luck was inadequate is misleading.  The entire team at nearly every position was inadequate at some crucial point in the game.  

Castonzo lost us the game before Luck did.  His holds and missed blocks for sacks and hits were atrocious.  He was the worst O-Lineman on the field today on either team and his holds, now that he's got his "money" makes you wonder if he's just slacking now because this isn't the guy we signed to a new contract.  

Hilton dropped multiple passes before he made some plays, mostly because the defender fell down so he made on easy and one fingertip catch.  The rest of the game he was garbage.  

Gore and Bradshaw bobbled and dropped 3 critical short catches which could have changed 2 drives.  Gore also didn't run that well aside from a couple 5+ yard runs.  All year he's underperformed collectively and his two goal line fumbles were a major part of two losses.  

Moncrief had multiple drops. Johnson had at least one drop and couldn't get open most of the game even as the third option. 

Abandoned:  Our two outstanding tight ends were ABANDONED I can only imagine by the sets and play calls.  I realize often they had to stay in and block, but we could have DOMINATED by focusing on our TE's in the pass game where they'd ALWAYS have an advantage.  But they simply haven't been used all season.  Sad. 

Our O-line has the most holds in the league by double.  That alone should get someone fired.  I think we should also consider a trade or two to get someone who at least is average and doesn't hold.  That would be a major upgrade for our line. 

The playcalling all day made no sense, even in the debacle of poor play.  The two long throws made the game falsely appear competitive.  It really wasn't and the Saints had the worst Defense in the league coming in in many categories. 

The Defense was continually put into impossible situations and then got GASHED by the run all day.  The Saints rushed for more yards than they passed I believe.  (Or at least it was that way late in the game).  When is the last time that happened?

Colt Anderson can't play safety ever again.  If we must start him, that game is lost.  He's that hopeless. 

I could easily keep going.  So yes, Luck played poorly.  But what QB could succeed with all of the above?  Stat wise Luck had over 300 yards and 3 TD's with 2ints.  

But I saved the worst for last.... the REAL reason we lost this game? 

Griff Whalen and the rest of Special teams recovery players and coaches.  Note I said "RECOVERY" where we had multiple holdings on nearly every return and where Griff had 5 different plays where the balls was, at some point, out of his hands. Some he recovered, some others recovered, some the Saints recovered.   If he is still our returner again in any game, that is grounds to fire any and all coaches with the power to stop him.  

The ONLY bright spot on the entire team today was our GLORIUS punter who put on perhaps the greatest single game display of punting in NFL history.   Sadly, with 10 punts, how can anyone expect to win a game where that happens?  

Pat McAfee is our team MVP by a VERY large margin.  

Luck looked more like Blame Gabbert than not. Toss some boo's his way today. He was terrible aside from a DB falling down twice.

This also reflects poorly on Chuck frankly. This team isn't motivated, organized or competitive. If the DB doesn't fall down twice, Chuck might not have made it through the night as coach.

You know people can read the stuff you type right?

Absolutely.  Not sure what I said that was so crazy.  Luck is very VERY average, actually less than average...right now.  Even in his best years he has been a turnover machine.  This is year 4.  Is he considered top 5 right now?  No.  Is he about to become the highest paid player in the NFL?  Yes.  Please try to use any facts that you can to justify the Colts paying him $25 M a year?  A team like the Chiefs would literally give you their entire draft AND #1 picks for the next 2 years to get Luck.  To me it is something that HAS TO BE considered.  You simply cannot pay Luck what he will be asking for with the production he is offering.  

As for everything else I said, getting rid of Pagano and the GM is a no brainer.  At this point I don't know how anyone can dispute that.  

Luck looked more like Blame Gabbert than not. Toss some boo's his way today. He was terrible aside from a DB falling down twice.

This also reflects poorly on Chuck frankly. This team isn't motivated, organized or competitive. If the DB doesn't fall down twice, Chuck might not have made it through the night as coach.

Nobody is as bad as Gabbert. But Luck's regression is worrying.

That would definitely help but he needs more than that.

He needs someone to help him read defenses & on his throwing mechanics. He has accuracy issues.

It's funny, because he was a 70% + completion QB the last 2 years of college. I think getting hit so much in the NFL threw off his internal clock or something. A good QB coach could really help him.

If you don't have a agenda, not baiting, then what are you doing?

Basically rehashing a topic that is already been discussed? Lol.

Every post is baiting in some form. Obviously I have an agenda. Otherwise I wouldn't be posting. But I don't have an agenda against opinion, which is what you wrote. 

Start reading the thread and figure it out. 

Every post is baiting in some form. Obviously I have an agenda. Otherwise I wouldn't be posting. But I don't have an agenda against opinion, which is what you wrote.

Start reading the thread and figure it out.

Now you're confusing yourself?

What's your point about Luck? He's not good this season? Well water is wet.

Trade him for matt sanchez.

Jeff george anyone?

Remember how grorge developed throwing off back foot from pass rush.

Luck is similar in that he's been affected by pressure and hits.

1. Andrew's confidence is obviously shaken. You can see it in his face and demeanor.

2. I think his shoulder is wors than they let on.

Note: inrealize many wont remember jeff. So many fans started in manning era.

Andrew Luck was the best QB in the NFL from 2013 - 2014. He dragged a terrible supporting to 11 win playoff seasons back to back years. Don't give me Brady or Rodgers. They couldn't have done any better on the Colts. 

This year he has played significantly worse. Injuries could be part of the equation, but I'm not sure whether or not they are all of it. It's kind of puzzling to me.

Now you're confusing yourself?

What's your point about Luck? He's not good this season? Well water is wet.

You seem to not understand simple explanation. Read my previous replies. My point is clear.

Andrew Luck was the best QB in the NFL from 2013 - 2014. He dragged a terrible supporting to 11 win playoff seasons back to back years. Don't give me Brady or Rodgers. They couldn't have done any better on the Colts.

This year he has played worse. Injuries could be part of the equation, but I'm not sure whether or not they are all of it. It's kind of puzzling to me.

He's not the best quarterback in the NFL in 2013-2014.....

We have been spoiled by early career success for Luck. People are quick to forget the transition season before drafting Andrew.

It's not like he came to a playoff ready team. The fact he has carried us to 3 good seasons is amazing. We were due for a year like this, it was just pushed back 3 years.

Give him time he's young he'll figure out the turnover situation.

He's not the best quarterback in the NFL in 2013-2014.....

Sure he was. He was playing behind a massively leaky OL with a bad wide receiver group. No defense behind him. How did the Colts make it to the AFCCG last year? On the strength of our powerful defense? Was it Trent Richardson's awesome running game? Our tremendous receiver group that dropped by far the most passes in the NFL?

No. It was 1 guy who saved the team from being a total embarrassment. 

Sure he was. He was playing behind a massively leaky OL with a bad wide receiver group. No defense behind him. How did the Colts make it to the AFCCG last year? On the strength of our powerful defense? Was it Trent Richardson's awesome running game? Our tremendous receiver group that dropped by far the most passes in the NFL?

No. It was 1 guy who saved the team from being a total embarrassment.

He's not the best...... Rodgers and others were better....

He's not the best...... Rodgers and others were better....

Rodgers played behind a better OL and had better WRs, a better RB, etc. He still didn't make it any further into the playoffs than Luck. Rodgers is great, no question. But I don't see why if he didn't make it to the Super Bowl with his superior Green Bay team he would've been able to make it surrounded by the crappy "talent" in Indy last year.

Luck has all the physical attributes to be a great QB however to date he has not learned from his mistakes. 

He continues to try and do too much with the ball - heck today he was going down and was cocking his arm like he was going to try and throw.  He is hanging on to the ball way too long - I guess we can place a good deal of the blame on PEP and the play calling.   Also every single season he has had issues overthrowing receivers - many of those wide open.  

Luck is supposed to be super smart - I haven't seen that; because he hasn't shown yet that he has learned much of anything from his mistakes - he repeats the same ones over and over again!

How does he develop his NFL skills?   I say we must start with the play calling!  PEP needs to go - PERIOD!  Clyde Christensen needs to go PERIOD!   The play calling needs to change to be more like the Pats dink and dunk - way too many weapons on this team to see luck simply looking for a big play every drop!

If they don't make adjustments the Colts will slip the bottom of a weak AFC South this season and miss the  playoffs - and if they do make it they will be one and done!

This is NOT about an OL thats an excuse that doesn't fit the bill!

Rodgers played behind a better OL and had better WRs, a better RB, etc. He still didn't make it any further into the playoffs than Luck. Rodgers is great, no question. But I don't see why if he didn't make it to the Super Bowl with his superior Green Bay team he would've been able to make it surrounded by the crappy "talent" in Indy last year.

sooo how did Luck throw over 50 ints in career when Rodgers just thrown 59 now?

sooo how did Luck throw over 50 ints in career when Rodgers just thrown 59 now?

He's thrown a higher percentage of his passes further down the field. He also is getting hit and pressured on a much greater percentage of his throws. Both lead to picks. Rodgers is also probably a better decision maker on the field, I'll admit that. 

It's no wonder somefans out there think a lot of Colts fans are a spoiled bunch.

Luck hasn't been great, but if he gets back on track, I don't want to hear it from his doubters. You guys have already made your voice heard, and it looks like you want another QB already, fine with me.

I wanted Luck to make that elite leap this year, but truth be told the issues he's had for years have gotten worse. I'm gonna weather the storm, because I believe he can still be great. Today was on him though, and it's fine, but if I had to bet all my chips on him today I still would. I have seen to many flashes from him.

I think people fell for the NFL hype since they're trying to make him that next golden boy after Peyton and Tom retire, we have Rodgers but they're not getting any younger. Today it was ridiculous hearing the commentators say that Luck was anointed too early on... I'm like yeah, you guys were part of that problem. But whatever, not gonna give up on him with all the QB-less teams around the league.

He's thrown a higher percentage of his passes further down the field. He also is getting hit and pressured on a much greater percentage of his throws. Both lead to picks. Rodgers is also probably a better decision maker on the field, I'll admit that.

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXRXXRodgAa00.htm&t=1

Yeah, but Rodgers was sacked over 50 times twice in his career.

Lucks's: http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXLXXLuckAn00.htm&t=1

He didn't rally the team. Delvin Breaux falling down rallied the team. Otherwise this game wouldn't have even been remotely close. 

I don't know. I backed up a those plays to watch again and I think they would have been a catches either way. Particularly that last catch, Hilton had to reach way out to get it. I don't think Breaux would have overtaken him and defensed the ball.

Luck in his last two years at Stanford was the most accurate passer I have ever seen.  The ball was a laser, on time, and right on the numbers more times than not.  I marveled at how good he was.  Since he has been with the Colts, even though he has had some wonderful seasons, that accuracy has not been apparent.  Now you add in to that the locking in on one wr (drives me crazy), the turnovers, the inability to concede a long play and instead throw a dump off, throw it away, or take a sack, and that spells what we are seeing today.

And I do not, for the life of me, understand why he DOES NOT SEEM TO LEARN FROM HIS MISTAKES.  He plays like a rookie at times.  So frazzled.  So scatter brained.  Does not or cannot read defensive alignments.  For someone as smart as he is, and I KNOW HE IS SMART, it makes no sense.  If I felt he was a cocky sob who just thought he knew better, I could kind of understand it.  But he is seeming humble, willing to learn, hard working.  Which is why what is going on with him  makes no sense.  All I know is I saw Matt Hasslebeck look like a calm season pro with the same exact team and offense that Luck looks like a rookie in.

You are being completely unappreciative of your quarterback. 

if that was the same Saints team from 2 or 3 years ago, you wouldn't have got back in this game. They would have turned that, into a 40 point blow out if they still had the same firepower and consistency of the past. 

The Colts defense gave up nearly 200 yards rushing and had no answer for Brees until late in the 3rd quarter.

Andrew Luck rallied this team from behind and put 21 points on the board when they were getting blown out. 

Blame your quarterback all you want, but if it weren't for him, the Saints would have shut you out today. 

Thank you Bogie. it is sad that a fan from another team sees past the nonsense that gets posted on here, while so many supposed fans of Indy feed off the negativity?

Honestly? If I were Irsay? Here is what I would do.

1. Get rid or the entire coaching staff and Gm at the end of the year. They have had 4 years of Luck (without having to pay him much) and we have stagnated. Time to go in a new direction.

2. Trade Luck. Yes I know this is considered crazy, and I have told everyone and their brother that Luck is the next Manning. But.....I am just not seeing it anymore. He is regressing in some areas and just treading water in others. For what we would have to pay him after this year, there is just no way I can justify it. And we could get a kings ransom for him in a trade. Would set this team up for years to come.

3. Draft Connor Cook from MSU. To me he is Luck all over again. But this time hopefully we have a OC and coaching staff that won't ruin him while he progresses in years 1-3.

4. Hire one of these three. Saban, Harbaugh, or Payton from New Orleans to be head coach. If Manning retires, hire him as OC or GM. Give him whatever he wants.

5. With the haul we get from trading Luck, we should be set with draft picks and players while still having a very low salary structure. Next year may not be great, but by year two of the new regime? I would expect major progress. Certainly more than we are seeing now.

I love MSU and Connor Cook as much as anyone but he isn't Luck not even close

I love MSU and Connor Cook as much as anyone but he isn't Luck not even close

I'm not sure if he has to be.  With the $25 M that would be saved by not having luck, we could have what.....4-6 draft picks AND a already proven player or two?  Is Luck worth that many wins a season compared to what those draft picks AND a proven player or two are?  And Connor Cook?  At this point I would rather have Cook, the draft picks, and players.  And honestly it isn't even a debate for me.  And I love Andrew Luck. He has carried this team for 3 years. But no way IN HELL is he worth $25 M a year.