Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is simply not that great,

James

"luck breaks huddle,3rd and 10,he drops back and completes 2 yard pass to JOHNSON----way to go ANDREW------Ithink we need to draft more STANFORD players-----WHALEN,FLEENER,LUCK,PEP are great-----and lets not forget PARRY and ANDERSON who are dominating o-lines :sip:  :thmdown:

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true....

Peyton(Yrs 1 to 4)............................ Luck(Yrs 1 to 4)

TD: 111............................................97(Thru 5 games)

INT: 81..............................................52 (Thru 5 Games)

Brady(Yrs 1 to 4)............................ Luck(Yrs 1 to 4)

TD: 97............................................97(Thru 5 games)

INT: 52..............................................52 (Thru 5 Games)

Rodger(Yrs 1 to 4(counting only his 1st 4 years as a starter)............................ Luck(Yrs 1 to 4)

TD: 137...............................................................................................................97(Thru 5 games)

INT: 37..................................................................................................................52 (Thru 5 Games)

Wanna hear wants ironic about all of these QBs, every single one of them, their 4th year was their WORST year INT wise. Every single one of them threw the most interceptions in a single season of their career in their 4th year.....Only 2 of them threw for 40+ TDs in a season in their first 4 years(Rodgers, Luck)

Only one of these QBs came into a team that was completely rebuilt the year they were drafted (Luck)

Luck is currently having issues. We all know this, but to say hes junk and needs traded or benched for Matt is just PLAIN STUPID. He will pull out of it. You know how many teams would love to have Luck?

Just incase anyone was wondering:

Yr 4 Manning: 28 TDs, 26 INTs

Yr 4 Brady: 26 TDs 14 INTs

Yr 4 Rodges: 28 TDs 13 INTs

I didn't say Luck stinks or should be benched. Just that he's not top 5. Manning didn't have a top 5 QB year in his 4th year either. Can't speak for Rodgers or Brady cause I didn't really watch or pay attention to them to know how they looked in their 4th year. Luck is not top 5 yet. He may get there one day but this isn't the day.

Really ------better check his history----he was 23/44 with about 10 3 yard dumps----stinks

Really want me to do that, ok, you're on.

Tom Brady:

2015-9-20 vs Buffalo: 38; comp 59 att equals 21 incompletions average completion: 7.8 yard

2015-10-25 vs the Jets: 34; 54 att equals 20 incompletions average completion 6.4 yards

2014-9-7 vs Miami: 29 comp; 56 att equals 27 incompletions average completion: 4.5 yards

Tom had 4 more of those games in 2014, 4 more in 2013 and 5 in 2012,

but again, you know NOTHING about football to be claiming that top 5 QBs dont have 21 incompletions.....

And btw, Peyton freaking Manning had 22 incompletions last week.

ive been saying that for 4 years------what pro team drafts half its team from one college? luck threw 21 incompletions----21! hes a average qb---colts will never win with him

Go away bandwagoner......

Tom Brady:

2015-9-20 vs Buffalo: 38; comp 59 att equals 21 incompletions average completion: 7.8 yard

2015-10-25 vs the Jets: 34; 54 att equals 20 incompletions average completion 6.4 yards

2014-9-7 vs Miami: 29 comp; 56 att equals 27 incompletions average completion: 4.5 yards

Tom had 4 more of those games in 2014, 4 more in 2013 and 5 in 2012,

but again, you know NOTHING about football to be claiming that top 5 QBs dont have 21 incompletions.....

And btw, Peyton freaking Manning had 22 incompletions last week.

No. Sit him down and let Matt play and learn from someone that is more Mature in the game of football. That's what I see.. 

If he's healthy, play him, he has to play through his slump.  Matt isn't gonna be able to beat the teams we have coming up.  Heck, I could play QB against the Jags.....and Texans and win

I did see the first three years. Read my posts ITT before you comment. You post reeks of having only read the title.

I read the whole post.    It was short.    It wasn't hard to read.   

I read it,  and I honestly felt bad for you.   

The choice remains........    you either didn't see his first 3 years,  or you don't know much about football.

Sounds like you picked the 2nd option.   

OK,   that would explain so much.........    Thanks.

Manning didn't have a top 5 QB year in his 4th year either. Can't speak for Rodgers or Brady cause I didn't really watch or pay attention to them to know how they looked in their 4th year. Luck is not top 5 yet. He may get there one day but this isn't the day.

Exactly my point.  It's far too early to judge him.  is he struggling right now, absolutely.  Has he regressed to RG3 bust status, nope, not even close.  Luck will get it figured out, but will probably need a new(good) coach to help him through it, not the POSes we have now

I think it is fair to say that Luck has always had some bad tendencies since Day 1.  He throws the ball high too often which leads to interceptions.   He holds the ball way too long.  And he locks on a receiver too quickly. I have went back and looked at games where Fleener will be wide open in the flat but Luck will force the ball down the field to Hilton.  I think he too often either isn't reading the coverage or predetermins the throw before the play no matter how it plays out.

I do think a real OC could be a big help. If he were running the Patriots offense, he would look fantastic because it is low risk, high reward.  Pep tries to be too cute and confuses his own players.

Luck is a smart kid, very smart. But if you think, you do not play. Maybe Pep is a mad scientist, who invented too complicated system? Too much reads even for Luck? Maybe they outsmart themselves and can't change it in a hurry?

I dont think it's that. If anything, I think pep's trying to be too aggressive.  To me, the Colt's and Lucks problems is really easy to see, they've forgotten how to play fundmental football and are always looking for that highlight reel play.  

If Luck isn't Top 5, name 5 better. Rodgers, Brady, then who? Please don't say Dalton or Cam because they aren't. Dalton and Cam are having a nice stretch of games but they aren't better. Big Ben and Romo have been injured and have missed more time than Luck has so they aren't either. Peyton hasn't played well either. Wilson hasn't either and the Seahawks are only 3-3.

Dalton has a higher career QB rating and wasn't at all helped by playing in one of the weakest divisions in football.  Imagine how many more turnovers Luck would have playing against the Ravens and Steelers 4 times a year.  

I dont think it's that. If anything, I think pep's trying to be too aggressive.  To me, the Colt's and Lucks problems is really easy to see, they've forgotten how to play fundmental football and are always looking for that highlight reel play.  

Exactly. Hi-lo read, in-out read, middle of the field open, middle of the field closed, off-coverage...

I know but people that hate on Luck want to ignore that. Not only that lets compare Luck to all the QB's that were drafted in his class or a year before/year after, not 1 is better. Wilson has a SB win but statistically Luck smokes him. Luck smokes everyone else period in wins and stats regarding QB's drafted over the last 5 years. Dalton has never even won a Playoff game.

Neither had Peyton in his first four seasons.  If a playoff win was the mark of a good QB, Tim Tebow would still be in the league.  Fact is outside of the AFC South, Luck's numbers aren't all that great.  And he leads the league in turnovers since 2014.  

again..picks vs. wins...which matters more?...

I don't love the QB W-L record stats...but you know Andrew is about 20 games over .500 with a team we accept is slightly above average over all....

the top 5 QBs have a bunch of wins...like Luck does

His w-l record is skewed by AFC South victories.  

Why do you people use Tom Brady as a example when he's a complete outlier?

Go back to 2001 and watch Tom Brady play QB. He's not an outlier, he just worked his butt off and became one of the greatest QBs ever. No reason Luck -- who is more physically gifted and has a much higher floor than Brady did -- can't do the same. The finer points, like footwork and release point, are the things Luck can fine tune, and when he does, he'll be far more consistent, probably unstoppable. 

Exactly my point. It's far too early to judge him. is he struggling right now, absolutely. Has he regressed to RG3 bust status, nope, not even close. Luck will get it figured out, but will probably need a new(good) coach to help him through it, not the POSes we have now

I agree. That's what I was trying to explain, maybe I didn't explain it that well.

I love the kid and will stand by him and cheer for him as long he's a colt.

His strugles this year are nothing new, only magnified.. What the reason is, i don't know.. But looks like he's not a mesiah we all thought he was, who can single handedly carry this team..

He needs a good coaching staff (and front office) that can help him out, in a single game, from play to play, and in his long term development.. Unfortunately, our current staff is not getting it done.

+1

I didn't say Luck stinks or should be benched. Just that he's not top 5. Manning didn't have a top 5 QB year in his 4th year either. Can't speak for Rodgers or Brady cause I didn't really watch or pay attention to them to know how they looked in their 4th year. Luck is not top 5 yet. He may get there one day but this isn't the day.

I would also say, the rules make it much easier for a QB today to throw for a lot of yards and TDs than it did 10 years ago.  

Go back to 2001 and watch Tom Brady play QB. He's not an outlier, he just worked his butt off and became one of the greatest QBs ever. No reason Luck -- who is more physically gifted and has a much higher floor than Brady did -- can't do the same. The finer points, like footwork and release point, are the things Luck can fine tune, and when he does, he'll be far more consistent, probably unstoppable.

Or maybe it's just not meant to be? Because logically the past number 1 picks should be one of the greatest ever if they work hard like Brady? Doesn't work like that.

Or maybe it's just not meant to be? Because logically the past number 1 picks should be one of the greatest ever if they work hard like Brady? Doesn't work like that.

I don't need him to be one of the greatest ever. I just want him to get rid of the ball quicker.

Luck isn't playing well but if every team dumped it's starter cause they went thru a rough patch then all of them would be out of the league.  It happens.  You ride it out, make changes, support them, etc.  You don't bail cause they look lost for a stretch.  Now if they're hurt, yeah, you bench them of course and that may be the case with Luck.  He may still be hurt, we don't really know.  If not, stick with them, and hope he gets thru it.  All you can do.

His w-l record is skewed by AFC South victories.  

This is a STUPID statement.  If we say this then we also must say that Brady's win/loss record is scewed because, for most of the years he has been there, the AFC East has SUCKED!  Same for Rodgers, because the Lions and Bears have been aweful.  I could go on if you like.

The way Luck has been playing is bad. Maybe it is his shoulder/pep Hamilton. So do you guys think he will still demand top dollar next year?

Absolutely.  His overall body of work and age dictate as much.  There is more proof that this is just a slump and not the norm.  Hopefully it is a shorter rather than longer slump.  But he will definitely still command top dollar in the off-season.

Not true....

Peyton(Yrs 1 to 4)............................ Luck(Yrs 1 to 4)

TD:  111............................................97(Thru 5 games)

INT: 81..............................................52 (Thru 5 Games)

Brady(Yrs 1 to 4)............................ Luck(Yrs 1 to 4)

TD:  97............................................97(Thru 5 games)

INT: 52..............................................52 (Thru 5 Games)

Rodger(Yrs 1 to 4(counting only his 1st 4 years as a starter)............................ Luck(Yrs 1 to 4)

TD:  137...............................................................................................................97(Thru 5 games)

INT: 37..................................................................................................................52 (Thru 5 Games)

Wanna hear wants ironic about all of these QBs, every single one of them, their 4th year was their WORST year INT wise.  Every single one of them threw the most interceptions in a single season of their career in their 4th year.....Only 2 of them threw for 40+ TDs in a season in their first 4 years(Rodgers, Luck)

Only one of these QBs came into a team that was completely rebuilt the year they were drafted (Luck)

Luck is currently having issues.  We all know this, but to say hes junk and needs traded or benched for Matt is just PLAIN STUPID.  He will pull out of it.  You know how many teams would love to have Luck?

Just incase anyone was wondering:

Yr 4 Manning: 28 TDs, 26 INTs

Yr 4 Brady: 26 TDs 14 INTs

Yr 4 Rodges: 28 TDs 13 INTs

No he isn't there yet if they build this team to where he doesn't have to do it himself then he will be fine.

Another game with multiple INT thrown. This time he dug us in a hole by throwing interceptions AND missing important throws.

I repeat: think about how many times Andrew Luck has dug us in a hole by throwing INTs. He keeps doing it, And don't give me that injury crap (shoulder, ribs etc). It's been this way since year 1. 12 so far this season and will most certainly match last season's total. Most evident during the blowouts against the Pats over the last years. Well, there's no escaping the truth now. And the truth: Luck is simply not that great, because great QBs don't keep throwing away games from the start.

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT get all giddy because those late game heroics, because Luck was a main contributed putting us in that situation to begin with. This is not acceptable, this putrid QB play.

The people that are bashing Andrew Luck are totally wrong for this. 

I have rooted for this kid since he was drafted. I have always thought he was something special.

He's going through a slump but it's no big deal. I actually don't even think this would be a conversation if the Colts were winning games.

There's a lot of you that are down right spoiled rotten. i'm just going to flat out say it, since most on here hate my guts anyway cause I'm a Saints fan, and I've been critical of Manning going on 3 years straight. Spam me with all the quotes telling me how wrong I am or how I'm a meanie head. I don't care. I'm going to ignore it, as i do most the time. 

Some of you are spoiled rotten. Not every QB is going to be Manning and get you the ZOMG WOW stats. One thing for certain YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO HAVE A BAD QUARTERBACK. I'm just going to say it up front.

You're not Browns fans or Bucs fans or Jets fans. You don't have a right to complain about having a "bad quarterback" when you went from Hall of Famer Manning to the best prospect of the decade with Luck. And don't you yell about the misery of Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter, that was one year, which you ended up with Luck afterwards. I don't care how bad you think Luck is, there is so many other fans out there of other teams, that would run out tomorrow and buy Andrew Luck jerseys if he went to their team. You're lucky. You've got a great young quarterback, regardless if he's going through a slump, he's still got years ahead of him to improve and he's still a good talented QB. 

I feel like Andrew Luck gets put under a magnifying glass. For every mistake he does, someone wants to point it out. 

Drew Brees had the game of his career yesterday, with 500+ yards, 7 TD's and 1 INT. If that was Andrew Luck, some of the people on here would be going nuts to analyze that one interception on those numbers. (and for the record, Brees had some ugly games this year too if you want to compare stats) 

If it weren't for Luck, your team could really be losing games.

I just am in shock that so many people want to talk about how bad this guy is or nitpick "he's not that great" when he's come back in the last two games, down by 17+ points twice, and nearly won it for you. 

If it weren't for Andrew Luck a week ago, the Saints would have shut you out, and you all know this to be true. We were destroying them. It was 27-0, before Luck finally got it together and started making those BIG plays to put the Colts on the board. What was a blow out turned into a close game. 

If it weren't for Andrew Luck tonight, the Colts don't score any touchdowns and get shut out offensively. That kid played his butt off tonight to rally his team and get back into the game, and then they lost on a fluke interception. IT HAPPENS. 

Every great quarterback throws interceptions and loses games on them.

Brett Favre is often highlighted for his interceptions, which is a shame, cause he was a damn good quarterback all through his career. The fact he threw interceptions and lost games, should be a testament of how any great quarterback can do this. It should be that, instead of the Jay Cutler comparisons to him. (90% of this board obviously didn't see Favre in his prime to know how lethal he was.) 

Since I'm on the topic of great quarterbacks that make mistakes, so many of you on here bandwagon for Peyton Manning vs the Colts and it's awfully depressing to see people that desperately want to see their ex-quarterback mop the floor with their own team. Peyton Manning, makes mistakes too. You all know the pain you endured in SB 44 when Mr. Best Quarterback Evert threw that interception to Tracy Porter. Yes, even the "best" make mistakes. Manning in his prime made mistakes. It happens. My quarterback makes mistakes too. My all time favorite quarterback is sadly remembered for game ending interceptions he threw in each of his final playoff games. It happens. It's going to happen. Terry Bradshaw was a great quarterback that's got 4 rings, and he threw interceptions too. 

Even if Manning was here today, he'd be throwing interceptions, and you'd be stuck with a guy that's near retirement. Think about that SB Pick 6, if you don't think Manning makes mistakes. If that was Brett Favre, you'd hear it endlessly how he choked the Super Bowl away, but Manning can do it, it's never his fault. 

But generally speaking about that Pick 6 in the big one to Tracy Porter, some of you should think about that, when you bash Andrew Luck for his interceptions. It happens. All quarterbacks throw interceptions. Even the one on this board that gets treated like a God. 

I'm just in total shock at some of you on here that hate Andrew Luck. "he's not that great" "he's overrated"

Go talk to Browns fans, or Bucs fans, or Jets fans, or hell, even ask the token Texans fans on here if they'd rather have their crappy quarterbacks or have Andrew Luck. I bet you, that they will all raise their hand and admit, they'd go out and buy Luck jerseys if he came to their team in the near future.

Even I as a Saints fan, would love to have Andrew Luck behind Drew Brees on the bench to be mentored by Sean Payton. And yes, I would definitely buy a jersey with Luck's name in black and gold. I would be proud of this. 

Here's my question to all of the bashing Luck gets; if you care so much, why don't you support him? 

This kid got injured this year, he don't deserve this animosity. This kid keeps his head on his shoulders, and he don't throw his team under the bus. He don't blame anyone for mistakes, he takes full responsibility, and he's a good kid. Andrew Luck is probably the most likable quarterback today with the way he's intelligent with his academics, the fact he's favorable towards LGBT rights (something a lot of the NFL hates) is another big 1+ for him being a likable guy. Out of all the quarterbacks in the NFL. Luck is easily one of the most likable off field and seems like a humble person I wouldn't enjoy spending a few hours with * chatting. 

My quarterback went through an injury too this year, and everyone thought he was done and 'washed up', and he's been playing lights out recently. He's improved and getting better, but he's struggled too. Quarterbacks are going to struggle and go through rough patches over time. 

If Luck comes back next year and plays lights out, these topics will be silly as hell over time, and we can go back and make jokes about it. But, given the development of this situation, i'm sure every mistake is going to be highlighted with someone yelling TOLD YA SO real loud, like people used to do with Brett Favre. Every interception Favre threw, there was a crowd that screamed TOLD YA SO. That's what is going on with Andrew Luck right now. Yes, his stats are ugly, but he played and fought in a comeback tonight, as he did last week, and instead of being thankful about this, there's all this negativity about him that is completely uncalled for. 

Just consider what you got now instead of thinking of what you had back then. Sports players always have an hourglass winding down on them. All good things don't last forever in sports. To go from Manning to Luck, you should be happy even if he's struggling right now, cause I guarantee you, there's countless fans of other teams right now that would run out tomorrow and buy Andrew Luck jerseys if he was traded to their teams. There's so many other teams out there that need a quarterback, and he's the best young thing out there. 

For me personally, I think the world of Luck and I will be rooting for him the rest of the year. I do not care if he finishes the year with ugly Eli Manning interception numbers. I still will be rooting for him, cause he plays his butt off and don't give up. Seeing him in action vs MY team, was enough to make me realize he's not the problem this year. Yes, he's having a bad year, but he played so hard against my team, and came back when all hope was lost, and they were down by 27 points. He tries. He plays with heart and all commitment, he gives it everything he's got and tries his absolute best. For that, I'll always stick up for him, when it's a crying shame so many fans seem to want the kid to fail. 

Mad props to Jules for always sticking for this kid. i remember you wanted him back in 2011, and you've always stuck by him even now. That's fan commitment. I'm glad others are defending him too. It's a shame he gets all this flack, when he plays his butt off. That kid wants to win so bad, and I'm going to be rooting for him every week now that my team is off the Colts schedule. 

I might not be a Colts fan, but I want this kid to succeed as much as his die hard supporters, and every week i will be rooting for him. 

I don't need him to be one of the greatest ever. I just want him to get rid of the ball quicker.

Thank you.

For a large chunk of the game I was asking for the "Hasselbeck offense"...

Just get the ball out of Luck's hand,  asap.

Why is that so hard?     But apparently,  it is.

Thank you.

For a large chunk of the game I was asking for the "Hasselbeck offense"...

Just get the ball out of Luck's hand,  asap.

Why is that so hard?     But apparently,  it is.

^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

What is so difficult to understand about this concept? It's not like we are discussing quantum mechanics, geopolitical science, astrophysics or women. We are talking a 3 step drop with a lot of running.