Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Since 2012: 19-2 vs the division; 19-19 against every other team.

Dustin

Doesn't matter. It was still playing a at very high level last year, and the Colts beat them. You said they faced a diminished Peyton, but he's diminished this year and they're doing well. The whole point is that the Colts beat a solid team.

It does matter. That Broncos defense wasn't nearly what it was this year. They've put up more touchdowns than the offense has in two different games. The whole point is the Colts beat a mediocre Broncos team with a diminished Peyton Manning. The difference this year is that the defense is number in virtually every category.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and as I've always said and thought. If we were in *ANY OTHER DIVISION* in football we would probably be year in and year out a 8-9 win team at best instead of an 11 win team.

There is obviously problems with our team. We don't have the greatest players and we don't have the coaches who can get the most out of what we do have...that I guarantee you is the #1 problem on this football team.

I would absolute bet money that if this team was coached by the NE staff...the Seahawks....Packers...or Cardinals we'd probably easily be a 6-0 or 5-1 team right now.

...and as I've always said and thought. If we were in *ANY OTHER DIVISION* in football we would probably be year in and year out a 8-9 win team at best instead of an 11 win team.

There is obviously problems with our team. We don't have the greatest players and we don't have the coaches who can get the most out of what we do have...that I guarantee you is the #1 problem on this football team.

I would absolute bet money that if this team was coached by the NE staff...the Seahawks....Packers...or Cardinals we'd probably easily be a 6-0 or 5-1 team right now.

I don't know about Cardinals, but the others, likely. The single factor that would have changed the outcome of the first two games would be a smarter offensive gameplan. The Pats excel at quick passing, and the Packers have a system that breeds efficiency as well. The Seahawks love to run the ball. Those things were missing against the Bills and Jets, and that's really not excusable. 

The Pats game could have gone either way. I liked our gameplans, we just didn't stick with the efficient offense in the second half for some unknown reason. 

With Arians, we probably would have run the same offense we ran. Maybe better, but that's not a high percentage offense, and with the way our OL was playing, it probably would have been a disaster. 

What's everyone's problem? The Colts have made the playoffs he past 3 years. They even made the AFCCG last year. What are you guys complaining about? Would we have to have won 3 Super Bowls to impress you guys? We're doing fine.

And you can say this season looks bad, but hey, guess what? Last year early in the season people were calling Brady washed up and saying the Patriots were on the decline. Fast forward a couple months and the Patriots are hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and Tom Brady won his third Super Bowl MVP.

The Colts are doing fine in their rebuilding and have been improving every year. It's just the stupid fans that won't accept anything less than a Super Bowl that are calling these Colts failures.

You're all wasting your time.  People who believe the AFC South excuse will continue to believe it no matter how many facts to the contrary are presented to them.  People who don't will do the same:

http://forums.colts.com/topic/34224-can-we-please-squash-the-weak-division-ignorance/

http://forums.colts.com/topic/40398-the-colts-play-in-the-afc-south-excuse-merge/

Cincinnati was far from elite when the Colts played them in the post-season. Meanwhile Denver had a severely diminished Peyton Manning at QB. I'll give you the Ravens though.

What about Dallas, Pittsburgh and New England twice?

The Patriots are really the main problem. 0-5 against them. My point is we have beaten several teams outside of the Division that are good. Packers in 2012 and Luck was a Rookie, Seahawks in 2013, 49ers in 2013, Broncos in 2013 and last year in the Playoffs, Ravens in 2014, and KC in the Playoffs in 2013. All of our key wins aren't just in the Division. We spank Cincy twice last season, Cincy may not have been elite but were still good.

My thought is this stat is meaningless.

Yeah I agree. I just look at it like this, Luck is 0-5 vs NE, 37-16 vs everyone else. Once we finally beat the Patriots I don't think anyone will bring up we play in a weak Division. It's not our fault that the Texans, Titans, and Jags fail to get better every season. We usually beat the teams we are supposed too which is a great thing. The Patriots have took advantage of playing in their Division for years too. It's better this season but the AFC East has been putrid for several years. When was the last time the Bills, Jets, or Dolphins made the Playoffs? Texans at least have made it recently being 2012.

The Patriots are really the main problem. 0-5 against them. My point is we have beaten several teams outside of the Division that are good. Packers in 2012 and Luck was a Rookie, Seahawks in 2013, 49ers in 2013, Broncos in 2013 and last year in the Playoffs, Ravens in 2014, and KC in the Playoffs in 2013. All of our key wins aren't just in the Division. We spank Cincy twice last season, Cincy may not have been elite but were still good.

My whole point has been inconsistency. I'm not saying that the Colts don't beat good teams. My point is that for all of the "good" teams they've beaten, there's an almost equally dumbfounding loss to go with it.

My whole point has been inconsistency. I'm not saying that the Colts don't beat good teams. My point is that for all of the "good" teams they've beaten, there's an almost equally dumbfounding loss to go with it.

I agree with you there. We have laid some eggs like against the Cards, Rams, and Cowboys in the past. This season Bills and Jets. Luck isn't Peyton regarding what we are used to seeing consistency wise. Peyton rarely got blown out. Luck is still good for 11 wins every year, maybe only 9 or 10 this season which is still good though. After watching Peyton for over a decade everything is glaring in most peoples eyes because we usually always started 7-0 or better with him and always had a cushion.

I agree with you there. We have laid some eggs like against the Cards, Rams, and Cowboys in the past. This season Bills and Jets. Luck isn't Peyton regarding what we are used to seeing consistency wise. Peyton rarely got blown out. Luck is still good for 11 wins every year, maybe only 9 or 10 this season which is still good though. After watching Peyton for over a decade everything is glaring in most peoples eyes because we usually always started 7-0 or better with him and always had a cushion.

I don't want to start a Luck/Peyton comparison thing so I'll leave my comments at this:

I think the difference between the Peyton and Luck comparison there is that Peyton eventually had the roster around him to start off 7-0. Peyton's team's also rarely lost to inferior teams in the regular season. They beat both divisional and good/bad non-divisional opponents as well as other teams that were considered elite. Again, it comes down to consistency.

I don't want to start a Luck/Peyton comparison thing so I'll leave my comments at this:

I think the difference between the Peyton and Luck comparison there is that Peyton eventually had the roster around him to start off 7-0. Peyton's team's also rarely lost to inferior teams in the regular season. They beat both divisional and good/bad non-divisional opponents as well as other teams that were considered elite. Again, it comes down to consistency.

Superior coaching.....on the offense anyway.

Superior coaching.....on the offense anyway.

Honestly, some of those Dungy teams were well ranked defensively (2005 & 2007 specifically). I remember even in 2006, it seemed like the Colts would be down at half in nearly every game but would adjust at halftime and win the game in the second half. A trait that has been lacking at different times in this era.

I have a problem with the one and done comments. Yes he has a losing playoff record and shrinks in the playoffs but achieving a bye is not easy to do either. It's like winning a playoff game without having to win one. He's not sneaking into the playoffs every year.

Edit: he's pretty unlucky as well. guy on his team gets stabbed in the knee the night before a game and has to run back a fumble, only guy he has to beat guesses which way to go and our kicker misses a make-able FG vs. Pit. Dallas Clark drops a pass on 3rd down that would ice the game vs. SD instead we have to punt and defense gives it up. Scores the go ahead TD in his last game as a Colt and his D gives up the entire field in the last 45 seconds and the Jets kick a FG to go ahead and win. Pierre Garcon drops a wide open pass and Hank Baskett can't recover an onsides kick against NO. The first three were first games of the playoffs, the last being the SB.

Are you talking about the 08 playoff game vs SD at their place? Cause if you are, Peyton was sacked by Tim Dobbins on that 3rd & short you mentioned cause Gijon Robinson whiffed on the block. Not to mention Scifres tortured us all night with terrible field position. As for the Steelers loss, yes the plays you mentioned are still to this day tough to swallow, but those plays don't happen without the refs bailing us out with overturning Peyton's INT & we can't overlook that before the missed FG, we had the ball at their 28 yd line with 2 TOs 2nd & 2 yet we couldn't do anything with it. Also Peyton was on suicide watch for the vast majority of the game. That game was just bad all around & I hate even talking about it.

Also you forgot to mention the 00 playoff loss to Miami when we were up a TD late in the game but they marched down the field to send it to OT & we missed a 49 yd FG that would've won the game & they made us pay by running it in & they ended up with 258 yds on the ground. Or the loss the year before to the Titans when they ran for 197. We've had a lot of ridiculous playoff losses under Peyton.

It's because we are 0-5 against NE so the 19-19 is deceiving. We have beaten the Packers, Seahawks, Broncos twice including the Playoffs, Cincy twice, KC when they were good, Ravens, and the 49ers at their place when they were good.

Is that also why the AFC east looks so bad?  Each team in that division has to play the NE twice a season.

• 3 weeks later...

If we weren't able to beat good teams we wouldn't ever win in the playoffs.  When it really matters(playoffs) we've only had one problem with one team.  The same team that everyone else in this league has problems with and that is New England.  I think it's comical that people sit here and try to make excuses for or try to take credit from any of our wins. "Can't beat non divisional opponents" and then those same people turn around and say "Oh you beat some but here's why!".  No excuses when you lose, so I don't want to hear any when we win. 

Every reasonable (and I stress "reasonable" because some of you guys are not), person in this forum knows this team can beat anybody.  You don't need a W-L record against non divisional opponents to tell you that. The Denver game should tell you that, the Carolina game should tell you that, the game against New England this year should tell you that, our playoff wins should tell you that.   I bet the Bengals have a better in season Non Divisional opponent W-L record than the Colts the last couple of years and everybody is squawking about them right now, but we see every single season they flounder out like nothing when those playoffs hit. Falcons, Saints, Panthers have Franchise quarterbacks, mediocre to sorry division often and I bet their non divisional record is better than ours.  Why is it none of those teams make it to and win in the playoffs as much as the Colts?  Bet the Baltimore Ravens have an overall better in season Non Divisional opponents record than us but for some reason they often lose to the Colts.  I can dig up other examples as well.

Yeah you'd like the record to be better and it should be, but there is more than enough evidence that says we can beat good teams.   Don't let the stat monsters on this forum fool you, nor circumstance because circumstance can change.   Colts are capable, especially this year.  I'm not buying the non-sense....

It may be a very 'beaten to death' statistic, but it's also very telling one. I don't know how Colts fans can just shake it off as no big deal.

Essentially it gives the Colts 6 free wins every years, allowing them to play .500 ball against everyone else and their final record masks the real problems with the team. Isn't that worrisome? 

It would be really concerning if they didn't completely overhaul the entire roster, coaching staff, and front office prior to the '12 season. Considering the salary cap hell we were left with in Polian's departure, we should be fairly happy with the results of the past few years. A better record would obviously be nice, but it's somewhat unrealistic to expect them to go from 2-14 to world beaters in the small span of 3 years.

Just try to imagine if the Pats lost Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount, Jamie Collins, Devin McCourty, Bill Belichick, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, all in the same season. Poof, gone, all of them are either with other teams or retired, which is essentially what happened to the Colts after the 2011 season. How long do you think it would take for them to get back to the Super Bowl and win?

How long did that take in the Peyton era to get to that level of consistency though? There were definitely some growing pains in Peyton's early years, and let's not forget that it took him 6 years to notch his first playoff victory. I'll take starting 2-2 every season and going a step further in the playoffs each year over starting 7 or 8-0, only to lose in the divisional round. Good non-divisonal record or not, I definitely prefer not being one-and-done in the playoffs, which only happened in Luck's rookie year.

How long did that take in the Peyton era to get to that level of consistency though? There were definitely some growing pains in Peyton's early years, and let's not forget that it took him 6 years to notch his first playoff victory. I'll take starting 2-2 every season and going a step further in the playoffs each year over starting 7 or 8-0, only to lose in the divisional round. Good non-divisonal record or not, I definitely prefer not being one-and-done in the playoffs, which only happened in Luck's rookie year.

In Peyton's second season the Colts were 13-3. The consistency was there outside of a few seasons early on in his career. However, from 2003 on, the Colts had a pretty consistent team each season until 2010 when the wheels started to fall off. We say that in hindsight that we'd rather have the playoff wins over 8-0 starts but we had no way of knowing how those teams would finish. The idea I think others and myself are trying to make is that the Colts SHOULD be to the point where they can start 5-0/6-0 and have playoff success like they've had to this point. I'd much rather have the Colts have a home divisional game to start the playoffs then have to go on the road.

If we weren't able to beat good teams we wouldn't ever win in the playoffs.  When it really matters(playoffs) we've only had one problem with one team.  The same team that everyone else in this league has problems with and that is New England.  I think it's comical that people sit here and try to make excuses for or try to take credit from any of our wins. "Can't beat non divisional opponents" and then those same people turn around and say "Oh you beat some but here's why!".  No excuses when you lose, so I don't want to hear any when we win. 

Every reasonable (and I stress "reasonable" because some of you guys are not), person in this forum knows this team can beat anybody.  You don't need a W-L record against non divisional opponents to tell you that. The Denver game should tell you that, the Carolina game should tell you that, the game against New England this year should tell you that, our playoff wins should tell you that.   I bet the Bengals have a better in season Non Divisional opponent W-L record than the Colts the last couple of years and everybody is squawking about them right now, but we see every single season they flounder out like nothing when those playoffs hit. Falcons, Saints, Panthers have Franchise quarterbacks, mediocre to sorry division often and I bet their non divisional record is better than ours.  Why is it none of those teams make it to and win in the playoffs as much as the Colts?  Bet the Baltimore Ravens have an overall better in season Non Divisional opponents record than us but for some reason they often lose to the Colts.  I can dig up other examples as well.

Yeah you'd like the record to be better and it should be, but there is more than enough evidence that says we can beat good teams.   Don't let the stat monsters on this forum fool you, nor circumstance because circumstance can change.   Colts are capable, especially this year.  I'm not buying the non-sense....

What you just said is right on the money bro. Outside of NE, who in the AFC really gives us fits? SD has given us issues over the years, but they can't even get into January & when they do, they flame out so we don't have to worry about them. Steelers have beaten us the past 2 times in the regular season but in recent years, they too have had their problems getting into January & haven't won a playoff game since 2010. Jets have beaten us 3 out of the last 4 times in the reg season, but are we for sure they're gonna get into the playoffs? If they do, by the way they've been playing in recent weeks, we draw them in the 1st round, I have supreme confidence we'll send them home.

Yes as Colts fans we're all disappointed on how the season has turned out up to this point, but we can & we will win the division & make a run in the playoffs despite Andrew being out for the next 6 games.

Patriots did it through their SB runs. Was that worrisome?

Not really the same for the Pats in regular season

4 Super Bowl years(01,03,04,14)

vs AFCE 20-6 .769

vs Rest 31-7 .816

Non SB years(02,05-13)

vs AFCE 47-13 .783

vs Rest 72-28 .720

Total(01 to today)

vs AFCE 70-19 .787

vs Rest 108-35 .755

So that is pretty damn consistent in and out of division