Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Since 2012: 19-2 vs the division; 19-19 against every other team.

Dustin

Remember it's not how we start, it's how we finished. Last year people were writing off the Pats early on and we saw how they finished. This is such a knee-jerk reaction league. Once we get in the playoffs, it's a whole different story. People are forgetting, we might not even be the ones that need to beat the Pats in the playoffs. Last year the Ravens nearly beat them.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, its all about "moral victories" and people who want change are overreacting. We all just need to be content with not being able to beat better teams and we will one season luck into getting a favorable playoff setting.

Pathetic I know.

This. Just stay the course and hope somebody else can knock off the best teams for us is not the right approach

It may be a very 'beaten to death' statistic, but it's also very telling one. I don't know how Colts fans can just shake it off as no big deal.

Essentially it gives the Colts 6 free wins every years, allowing them to play .500 ball against everyone else and their final record masks the real problems with the team. Isn't that worrisome?

It's not worrisome. It's the reality of the situation. I wish it was better, and I hope it gets better.

The thing that gets me is the fans who make light of it, but don't realize why there is so much truth to it. If you look at how easily people say things like "we should be able to sweep Jacksonville and Tennessee isn't a problem " you realize that confidence doesn't come from how good fans think the Colts are. The confidence comes from how bad people think those teams are.

Only in a week division could you be as confident as our fans were about having a 40 year old backup QB who was just hospitalized start a division game. Steelers fans are sweating every game Vick has to start.

Cincinnati was far from elite when the Colts played them in the post-season. Meanwhile Denver had a severely diminished Peyton Manning at QB. I'll give you the Ravens though.

What about Dallas, Pittsburgh and New England twice?

What do you want us to say? It is what it is?

A lot of us are getting more than a little tired of the coaches/ FO

It's because we are 0-5 against NE so the 19-19 is deceiving. We have beaten the Packers, Seahawks, Broncos twice including the Playoffs, Cincy twice, KC when they were good, Ravens, and the 49ers at their place when they were good.

It goes both ways, it's not just NE. We've also lost to SD, PHI, Jets 2x, Dolphins, Bengals, Cardinals, Rams, Cowboys, Steelers, Bills. We haven't knocked off a top team since Reggie tore his ACL against the Broncos. Bengals were good yes but we owned them last year like the Pats own us. Ravens was a gutsy win and Broncos were in Manning playoff form when we got revenge in the playoffs for the week 1 loss. He could have walked for some first towns and instead chose to throw over people's heads.

Other than Bengals, Ravens, and Broncos from last year (which are still not last year's Packers, Pats, Seahawks), every other game you mentioned was won before Reggie tore his acl halfway through the 2013 season.

come on guys! We're still rebuilding! Grigson is still in the process of building "the monster". This is only year 4 of a COMPLETE REBUILD!!!1!

Give Grigson some time, let him whiff on a few more first rounders, let him insert more scrubs like Johnathon Harrison, Lance Louis and Todd Herremans into the starting lineup against the coaches wishes, and give out a few more bad contracts to aging free agents that cant contribute and are overpaid, did i mention prone to injury?

Remember, we are ONNNNLYYY in YEAR 4 of a COMPLETE REBUILD. SInce you only draft BPA no matter what the situation in the draft, we could end up taking a WR in the 1st 3 rounds of the next 3 drafts...AND THATS OKAY! Thats how you build a championship roster, you only draft BPA. If you dont do that, youre stupid. If you cant see why thats a bad philosophy, youre stupid. This is why COMPLETE REBUILDS sometimes take a long time.....duh

Just remember, we are ONLY in YEAR 4 of a COMPLETE REBUILD. There is no logical basis to bash Grigson because he has done some good things. REMEMBER, it is completely foolish to criticize the many bad moves a GM has made if they have made just a couple solid moves. Especially considering, WE ARE ONLY IN YEAR 4 OF A COMPLETE REBUILD

we are only in year 4, of a complete rebuild!!!!!1!!! Everyone is beyond criticism, especially Grigson!

What a stupid post.

No it wasn't worrisome, because it wasn't the same...like at all.

The difference is that the Patriots beat their division opponents AND their non-division opponents. We weren't playing .500 ball against the rest of the league. Those 2003 and 2004 Championship teams both went 17-2...and they were 18-2 those years against teams outside their division. That's a far cry from comparing them to this Colts statistic.

Don't know how people can compare what we are going through now vs. Pats walking through the AFC East in some thin years. I'm pretty sure the NYG are the only team with a winning record over Brady and he will have a chance to make that .500 against the NYG this year.

Indeed this has to be true.  I mean, look how great Peyton is in the playoffs.  And he's even better now that 5, 10, 15 years ago!  His skills are just fine.  I mean, don't let the, what, 9 "one and done" trips fool you.

I have a problem with the one and done comments. Yes he has a losing playoff record and shrinks in the playoffs but achieving a bye is not easy to do either. It's like winning a playoff game without having to win one. He's not sneaking into the playoffs every year.

Edit: he's pretty unlucky as well. guy on his team gets stabbed in the knee the night before a game and has to run back a fumble, only guy he has to beat guesses which way to go and our kicker misses a make-able FG vs. Pit. Dallas Clark drops a pass on 3rd down that would ice the game vs. SD instead we have to punt and defense gives it up. Scores the go ahead TD in his last game as a Colt and his D gives up the entire field in the last 45 seconds and the Jets kick a FG to go ahead and win. Pierre Garcon drops a wide open pass and Hank Baskett can't recover an onsides kick against NO. The first three were first games of the playoffs, the last being the SB.

come on guys! We're still rebuilding! Grigson is still in the process of building "the monster". This is only year 4 of a COMPLETE REBUILD!!!1!

Give Grigson some time, let him whiff on a few more first rounders, let him insert more scrubs like Johnathon Harrison, Lance Louis and Todd Herremans into the starting lineup against the coaches wishes, and give out a few more bad contracts to aging free agents that cant contribute and are overpaid, did i mention prone to injury?

Remember, we are ONNNNLYYY in YEAR 4 of a COMPLETE REBUILD. SInce you only draft BPA no matter what the situation in the draft, we could end up taking a WR in the 1st 3 rounds of the next 3 drafts...AND THATS OKAY! Thats how you build a championship roster, you only draft BPA. If you dont do that, youre stupid. If you cant see why thats a bad philosophy, youre stupid. This is why COMPLETE REBUILDS sometimes take a long time.....duh

Just remember, we are ONLY in YEAR 4 of a COMPLETE REBUILD. There is no logical basis to bash Grigson because he has done some good things. REMEMBER, it is completely foolish to criticize the many bad moves a GM has made if they have made just a couple solid moves. Especially considering, WE ARE ONLY IN YEAR 4 OF A COMPLETE REBUILD

we are only in year 4, of a complete rebuild!!!!!1!!! Everyone is beyond criticism, especially Grigson!

Great post.

Yeah, logical fallacy is borderline not even applicable to hyperbole sarcasm, good job though.

It goes both ways, it's not just NE. We've also lost to SD, PHI, Jets 2x, Dolphins, Bengals, Cardinals, Rams, Cowboys, Steelers, Bills. We haven't knocked off a top team since Reggie tore his ACL against the Broncos. Bengals were good yes but we owned them last year like the Pats own us. Ravens was a gutsy win and Broncos were in Manning playoff form when we got revenge in the playoffs for the week 1 loss. He could have walked for some first towns and instead chose to throw over people's heads.

Other than Bengals, Ravens, and Broncos from last year (which are still not last year's Packers, Pats, Seahawks), every other game you mentioned was won before Reggie tore his acl halfway through the 2013 season.

I love how everything the Indy does is because of someone else's lack of talent.

It may be a very 'beaten to death' statistic, but it's also very telling one. I don't know how Colts fans can just shake it off as no big deal.

Essentially it gives the Colts 6 free wins every years, allowing them to play .500 ball against everyone else and their final record masks the real problems with the team. Isn't that worrisome? 

Be careful saying this aloud, cause I've said it a few times in the past when the AFC South and NFC South are compared, and I've been blasted for it, though it's the truth. 

Ah, "hyperbole and sarcasm," the perpetual safe haven of people who get called out for saying ridiculous things...

So what would posting an inapplicable link to a list of logical fallacies be for? People who don't know when logical fallacy is applicable, or people too lazy to point out their perceived faults in a particular post?

So what would posting an inapplicable link to a list of logical fallacies be for? People who don't know when logical fallacy is applicable, or people too lazy to point out their perceived faults in a particular post?

It's only inapplicable if those fallacies weren't committed (which they were, so...) 

I think it's time I changed my name to lex luther

At least in "Public Enemies" you get to be president for a while.

superman-batman-pe_21.jpg

On topic, there's plenty of room to be critical of Grigson and Pagano, and both might be on their way out. I'm just not a fan of all these extremes.

We've played a first place schedule for 3 straight years now and we are 500..oh the horror! So that means we prolly get pats, Pitt, Denver for 3 of those games a year..what is the shame losing to those teams..we are a spoiled fan base..appreciate we dominate r division.. Don't listen to the media..smh..teams would kill for are success!

You should have been here during the TRich days. He's homesick, he just needs time to learn the playbook, wrong scheme, he doesn't get enough carries, he didn't eat his wheaties, etc. The excuses for that guy were borderline comical.

At least in "Public Enemies" you get to be president for a while.

superman-batman-pe_21.jpg

On topic, there's plenty of room to be critical of Grigson and Pagano, and both might be on their way out. I'm just not a fan of all these extremes.

And I get that. You're one of the better posters here, but I feel like sometimes you're so against the extremism that your overall opinion or direction you're leaning is lost in trying to make people see both sides of the coin. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing though.

And I get that. You're one of the better posters here, but I feel like sometimes you're so against the extremism that your overall opinion or direction you're leaning is lost in trying to make people see both sides of the coin. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing though.

I'm sure you're right. My only other weapon is hyperbole and sarcasm... ;)

Thoughts?

Yes, (and actually, it is 19-2 vs Div, 20-19 vs others total).  If you take out the post season (we are 3-3 against the best teams in crunch time, so its a wash) then it becomes 19-2 vs. AFC South, and 17-16 vs. others in regular season play.   Take out the anomalous beginning of this year ( 3-0 vs Div, 0-3 vs others) which may even out more later in this season, and coming in we were 16-2 vs. the Division, and 17 - 13 vs all other teams.  Specifically, 6-5 vs. the NFC, and 11-8 vs. the rest of the AFC.  I think that is more representative of our true worth.  This year is disastrous, and early results really skew the results.  If we spiral down, it will really look bad.  If we get control again, then we can improve on the current .513 win % vs. other NFC and AFC teams since 2012.

So I'm not worried about the previous numbers, I am somewhat concerned about the early poor results vs other non Div. teams (0% win percentage) so far this year.  We have to win the next 3 out of the South Division games to almost reach the levels we had achieved the last 3 years.  So I really feel this is just another way to Show the major regression this season has demonstrated.  But there is still time to turn it around and get the numbers back in better alignment once more, and make another post season run.

There is nothing but concern on this board for the teams improvement. The Colts don't have any control over the rest of the division. And what's with your level of concern anyway? Luck has already beaten three good playoff teams in the postseason and this team will continue to improve. It might not be with pagano or Hamilton or whoever but there are a lot of good young players on this team and Luck is a proven winner. I give the Patriots another year perhaps of Brady boy and your done. Then I can come over to the pats board and ask them why they are not more concerned over their weaknesses...

it think its because of our 3rd down conversions and our inability to get first down to sustain drives.  Were decent when it comes to our division, but everyone else is its just plan bad.  And when you can't convert 3rd down that puts our bad defense back on the field and we know all about that.  

I'm not saying that our defense is that bad this year, but it was definitely horrendous previous years.

I actually think our defense is pretty good this year and the numbers are kinda misconstrued because our bad offense, time of possession and a hiccup of big plays.

That defense was no where near the level it's playing at right now.

Doesn't matter. It was still playing a at very high level last year, and the Colts beat them. You said they faced a diminished Peyton, but he's diminished this year and they're doing well. The whole point is that the Colts beat a solid team.

Except we beat Cincy Twice and in the Playoffs, Ravens, and Denver in the Playoffs so what do you consider Elite? If Denver isn't Elite than nobody is. Ravens were too last season, we beat them last year.

Tsk tsk! That was Cincy w/out AJ Green both times and missing their whole receiving core and 2 LB`ers in the Playoffs. They had about Zero chance to win.

Denver wasn`t close to Elite last year in the Playoffs as their GOAT had a hard time throwing it 10 yards accurately. Another gimme game. So get real.

The Ravens were just above average and the 6th seed in the Playoffs last season, and a nice HOME win by 7.

We aren`t what the Homers here think we are.

lol as we can continue to get better. Go Colts!