Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com poll: Which coach is on the hot seat most through Week 6? (Hmm...)

ReMeDy

Only one I agree with is Caldwell. Playoffs last year, on track for the #1 pick this year. That's awful

Tomsula has the highest paid RB playing QB. Not much he can do. Kap stinks

Bradley, Whisenhunt, O'Brian all inherited bad teams in a division dominated by the Colts. Give them a few more seasons. Especially Whisenhunt cause Mariota looks solid

Jack Del Rio looks to have the Raiders playing better, give him more time. Carr & Cooper have had a solid season together. They just still need to get rid of all those old players and continue building young. And Rio needs to get rid of the blonde hair, it's awful haha

Give them a few more seasons? But let's run Pagano out of town now, right?

One guy has a winning record and a team that has made improvements in the playoffs, and those other teams are stuck in the mud. You make excuses for them, but have no problem with the idea that Pagano should be blown out of the water. It's crazy.

End of the season, let's see what the Colts look like. I said at the beginning of the season that I'm done defending Pagano and Grigson, simply because this is the time for them to show what they're worth (not the previous three seasons when the Colts were exceeding all reasonable expectations). It annoys me so much that I'm continually compelled to argue against people's zealotry, but this is not about being a Pagano or Grigson supporter.

I might blame the owner. No contract extension. The pressure had to be great on Chuck to beat NE. hence he went to the tricks in desperation mode.

Is being down 6 with over a quarter left desperation mode? He offered him a year which is fair given who we can and can't get past and Chuck wanted to bet on himself. Pressure is on him all year, unspokenly on him to beat NE, at least he kept it close for most of the game, just has to be a good coach for the entire game. Not just 3 quarters, make a brain fart play and then tell Pep to dial up the throwing from then on out.

No, nor should it.

Prior to the Pats game, we were perfect on surprise onside kicks, and we should have had possession on that one. The fake punt in the Cowboys game was perfect, except McDonald dropped the pass. McAfee's run against the Titans was perfect. I feel like I'm missing one, but that's 4 extra possessions out of 7 chances. Even this one doesn't happen if Whalen is fully aware of the play. We've also been pretty good on the 4th down calls, including the Moncrief TD on Sunday.

So why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Fix the technical issues, even if that means scrapping this play (which is too bad, because it's an interesting wrinkle that could possibly work if run correctly), and be smart about it. Don't coach scared.

But he wasn't. Even though I would like to agree with you, the media is turning this 'if the communication wasn't flawed, this could potentially have worked' into a disaster.

I feel it is the same as with Seattle's last call in the Super Bowl - it potentially could have surprised them completely and turned out brilliantly, but it didn't. That's the issue with gambles... you can end up in two opposing extremes (a genius call or a horrendous call).

I'm just saying, that even though we've been almost perfect up until now on gambles, the most recent picture is of disaster.

But he wasn't. Even though I would like to agree with you, the media is turning this 'if the communication wasn't flawed, this could potentially have worked' into a disaster.

I feel it is the same as with Seattle's last call in the Super Bowl - it potentially could have surprised them completely and turned out brilliantly, but it didn't. That's the issue with gambles... you can end up in two opposing extremes (a genius call or a horrendous call).

I'm just saying, that even though we've been almost perfect up until now on gambles, the most recent picture is of disaster.

So what?

Like I said earlier, people too often allow themselves to be prisoners of the moment. This completely botched play doesn't undo all the other good plays they've made on STs. As bad as this was, you don't have to abandon the entire concept and say 'no fakes ever again.' Just don't run that fake ever again.

So what?

Like I said earlier, people too often allow themselves to be prisoners of the moment. This completely botched play doesn't undo all the other good plays they've made on STs. As bad as this was, you don't have to abandon the entire concept and say 'no fakes ever again.' Just don't run that fake ever again.

I agree to an extent. Probably shouldn't get carried away like we did Sunday night. Onside kick and the fake punt ordeal. I liked the calls, just didn't go in our favor. I felt as if that onside kick was ours and it was a simple mistake on the fake punt play. If those went as planned, people would be tooting a different tune.

So what?

This is a very interesting statement that applies to way more than this forum and football. I'm glad I took the time to read this. Thank you.

I agree to an extent. Probably shouldn't get carried away like we did Sunday night. Onside kick and the fake punt ordeal. I liked the calls, just didn't go in our favor. I felt as if that onside kick was ours and it was a simple mistake on the fake punt play. If those went as planned, people would be tooting a different tune.

I don't even think they got carried away. Should have had the onside kick. And the fake, the coaches thought everyone knew the play, and expected the play clock to expire and take a delay of game. It really comes down to a technical oversight that led to a really poor result. The coaches should take their lumps, Whalen should take his lumps, and then everyone should get over it and get ready for the Saints.

So what?

I never stated they should abandon it completely - and as bad as this play was, the previous aggressiveness on ST could easily be toned down a notch, which (still) is my worry.

The coaches should take their lumps, Whalen should take his lumps, and then everyone should get over it and get ready for the Saints.

The media won't.

I like your point of view, though.

People are now wise in the hindsight and focus on the elements going wrong - not on the potential. Just hope it doesn't rub off on the coaching staff.

I don't even think they got carried away. Should have had the onside kick. And the fake, the coaches thought everyone knew the play, and expected the play clock to expire and take a delay of game. It really comes down to a technical oversight that led to a really poor result. The coaches should take their lumps, Whalen should take his lumps, and then everyone should get over it and get ready for the Saints.

Most definitely but I guess I was referring to being carried away and trying both again in a future game. I don't think I could possibly take that. I didn't mind the play calls, just the officiating was not good. I fear it could go the same way.

I never stated they should abandon it completely - and as bad as this play was, the previous aggressiveness on ST could easily be toned down a notch, which (still) is my initial worry.

Yeah, my point is that I wouldn't tone down the aggressiveness at all. That aggressiveness has paid off for over a year now, and they should continue to look for ways to secure extra possessions. Smartly, of course. And they should do us all a favor and make sure everyone on the field knows the play.

Prior to Sunday, on all these fake-like plays, they were 4 out of 5, with the only failure being a wide open drop. Then they got robbed on one, and majorly screwed up the other. I'm really not worried at all. 

Is being down 6 with over a quarter left desperation mode? He offered him a year which is fair given who we can and can't get past and Chuck wanted to bet on himself. Pressure is on him all year, unspokenly on him to beat NE, at least he kept it close for most of the game, just has to be a good coach for the entire game. Not just 3 quarters, make a brain fart play and then tell Pep to dial up the throwing from then on out.

I don't think there is a mandate to beat NE, but the Colts have looked completely unprepared its last three games before this one.  If the Colts would have remained competitive for the last quarter and a half of this game, IMO by keeping the O's gameplan, and not looked like it began to panic with the long pass plays and fake punt, then I think it would have looked like the team was well coached.

As it stands, I think the fake punt decision and the way that the O performed in the second half questions the effectiveness of the coaching staff.

Most definitely but I guess I was referring to being carried away and trying both again in a future game. I don't think I could possibly take that. I didn't mind the play calls, just the officiating was not good. I fear it could go the same way.

If IF was a fifth...

But if Whalen knows the play (and blame the coaches for putting him out there without him being up to speed), we take a five yard penalty and punt. And that's what everyone except Whalen expected to happen. 

I think that any fake punt call in that situation, not just a weird one, is a bad coaching decision.  Its one thing if McAphee thinks he can make it on 4th and 3 from his own 37, but for the coaches to call for any kind of fake punt in that situation is just a bad decision, IMO.

I like the pooch kick, especially since the failure resulted in the Pats getting the ball only at their own 35....not real bad field position.  It was a good time to call it too, after an emotional TD.

Yeah, my point is that I wouldn't tone down the aggressiveness at all. That aggressiveness has paid off for over a year now, and they should continue to look for ways to secure extra possessions. Smartly, of course. And they should do us all a favor and make sure everyone on the field knows the play.

Hopefully they'll continue the aggressiveness and instead learn from this mistake, because execution is clearly not the issue when gambling (as seen with the previous 4th down calls and onside kicks).

I think that any fake punt call in that situation, not just a weird one, is a bad coaching decision.  Its one thing if McAphee thinks he can make it on 4th and 3 from his own 37, but for the coaches to call for any kind of fake punt in that situation is just a bad decision, IMO.

I like the pooch kick, especially since the failure it resulted in the Pats getting the ball only at their own 35....not real bad field position.  It was a good time to call it too, after an emotional TD.

I disagree. If the Pats jump offsides, then the drive continues. I agree that it wasn't coached well (between not lining up right and Whalen not being up to speed), but in everyone's mind, worst case scenario is a five yard penalty, and you punt anyways. I don't have a problem with the decision, even if I don't really like the play they tried.

Did you seriously just compare Pagano to BB? 

BB's 1st 4 seasons... in Cleveland right?  Cleveland SUCKED   we dont

Bill Walsh???  The 3 time superbowl champion and inventor of the WCO Bill Walsh?

He won the SB his 3rd Yr   

Comparing him to Bill Parcels?     Stop  just stop

Come on man....... compare apples to apples...  look at those teams these guys started with, compared to this team.

Yes I did. And if you would use some comprehension you might see my point. You act like Pagano had a stacked team when he took over. All you have to do is look at the records of those coaches I mentioned and see that Pagano has a better start than any of those. If it needs to be explained to you then that's on you. Facts are facts and numbers don't lie. So it OK to make excuses for any other coach but Pagano? You missed my point all together.

I disagree. If the Pats jump offsides, then the drive continues. I agree that it wasn't coached well (between not lining up right and Whalen not being up to speed), but in everyone's mind, worst case scenario is a five yard penalty, and you punt anyways. I don't have a problem with the decision, even if I don't really like the play they tried.

It was a poorly designed play at trying to deceive the Pats into putting more than 11 players on the field, with an alterior plan to draw them offsides after the punt team shifted and told the whole world the Colts were trying some trickery.  Whalen should be astute enough to not snap the ball, but the play never had a chance, from its fundemental design.  Since the second half of the plan had no chance from a design standpoint, somebody just had to tell Griff that under no circumstances do you snap the ball if there are not more than 11 players on the field.  I assume counting players is Anderson's responsibility since Griff has his head down to snap and wouldn't know how many players are on the field.  Maybe Griff thought there were 12 players, but what was the plan for him to know if there was?

If I had to choose to cut Whalen for what he did or fire Pags for what he did, I'd definitely choose the latter.  I think a smarter coach would have known the play wasn't going to work.  I explained that elsewhere in this thread or another.

But I don't advocate cutting or firing anyone over this play.

The failed defense of the "Hail Mary" pass to Jalen Strong was also embarrassing for Pagano.

It wasn't Pagano's fault that Toler cleared the lane for the catch to be made. But you might be right. Pagano will get the blame right along with every other problem the Colts have.

Had they jumped offsides and Whalen then snapped the ball, wouldn't that have been an illegal formation penalty on the Colts anyway? How would that benefit the Colts?

It was a poorly designed play at trying to deceive the Pats into putting more than 11 players on the field, with an alterior plan to draw them offsides after the punt team shifted and told the whole world the Colts were trying some trickery.  Whalen should be astute enough to not snap the ball, but the play never had a chance, from its fundemental design.  Since the second half of the plan had no chance from a design standpoint, somebody just had to tell Griff that under no circumstances do you snap the ball if there are not more than 11 players on the field.  I assume counting players is Anderson's responsibility since Griff has his head down to snap and wouldn't know how many players are on the field.  Maybe Griff thought there were 12 players, but what was the plan for him to know if there was?

If I had to choose to cut Whalen for what he did or fire Pags for what he did, I'd definitely choose the latter.  I think a smarter coach would have known the play wasn't going to work.  I explained that elsewhere in this thread or another.

But I don't advocate cutting or firing anyone over this play.

I don't think you fire coaches or cut players over something like this, anyways. The bloodthirst in the media (and especially on message boards) doesn't reflect reality.

I understand your point about the design of the play. It's not my favorite play, so I don't mean to defend it. But the idea was to get the Pats to run their defense back on the field, and it just didn't work. I'm not surprised, but I don't mind the attempt. Again, net result should have been a delay of game, at worse. There was a chance they'd mess up.

There was also a chance they'd line up wrong and we'd have an advantage somewhere. To me, it's 'oh well, let's move on.' 

I don't think you fire coaches or cut players over something like this, anyways. The bloodthirst in the media (and especially on message boards) doesn't reflect reality.

How dare you say this message board doesn't reflect reality!!!!

Had they jumped offsides and Whalen then snapped the ball, wouldn't that have been an illegal formation penalty on the Colts anyway? How would that benefit the Colts?

Doug says calling a fake in that situation is a bad idea regardless. Of course we weren't lined up correctly, but that's has nothing to do with the idea of trying to steal a first down right there.

Doug says calling a fake in that situation is a bad idea regardless. Of course we weren't lined up correctly, but that's has nothing to do with the idea of trying to steal a first down right there.

Apparently, they wasted time practicing this only to muff it up. That's all on the coaches.

I understand your point about the design of the play. It's not my favorite play, so I don't mean to defend it. But the idea was to get the Pats to run their defense back on the field, and it just didn't work. I'm not surprised, but I don't mind the attempt. Again, net result should have been a delay of game, at worse. There was a chance they'd mess up.

There was also a chance they'd line up wrong and we'd have an advantage somewhere. To me, it's 'oh well, let's move on.' 

Yes.  The play is being made into something more important than what it was.  The result was no different than a fumble or pick on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down.  It was a turnover. And it was the only one of the game for us.

The psychology of how the turnover happened is just as damaging than the turnover itself.

Chip Kelly should be

Jim Caldwell should be probably but that defense has totally went to hell

Andy Reid

Jeff Fisher should be

Chuck Pagano....Taking a step back and going through a lot of his interviews during weeks past and post game interviews as well as the slow starts and game management (which has gotten a bit better but is not their yet) problems, I think its all to much for him. I honestly think he is a good motivator but I don't think he is cut out to be a HC.....Not only do you have to be able to create game plans but you have to be able to juggle multiple other things at once such as timeout usage, Making sure your players know exactly what they are supposed to be doing at all times including during the course of games......I don't see a guy(Meaning Chuck) that can do all that in the heat of the moment quite honestly.

Also I personally think a HC should reign his coordinators in at times when they clearly get a away from what is working.....Sometimes as a HC you just have to be able to take that playcall sheet out of that Coordinators hands and say if you cant do your job then Ill do it for ya (This don't likely apply to Chuck cause I don't think it would be a good idea at all to see him call plays offensively but hell give it to Chud or Hasselbeck)

Looking at that list they gave as options:

Kelly -- Eagles are in 1st in NFC East.

Peyton -- they all knew was going be a tough year but they are 2-1 over the last 3.

O'Brien -- possibly, the issue is the D right now as well as no QB.

Other (Caldwell) -- they have looked awful! I can see him going .

Pagano - has a team predicted to go to the SB this year by many but are just not performing anywhere near expectations. The Colts will win the South easily because well the South is awful! But do even colts fans feel they be more than one and done? And if they are shouldn't they coach be canned for such an under performance?

He should be canned because he just an average coach.

I am very torn on the Pagano situation, it's all I can say at the moment.

I really like the guy but also know I would replace him with other good proven coaches.

But, be careful.......replacing someone is not always as easy as it sounds/looks. You CAN get worse.....

I am very torn on the Pagano situation, it's all I can say at the moment.

I really like the guy but also know I would replace him with other good proven coaches.

But, be careful.......replacing someone is not always as easy as it sounds/looks. You CAN get worse.....

I am too, we have won 11 games 3 years in a row and went to the Final 4. Sometimes change isn't always better.