Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com poll: Which coach is on the hot seat most through Week 6? (Hmm...)

ReMeDy

7aOKxi6.png

Oh come on now, seriously people!? That poll isn't even close! I know it was a bad play, but yikes.

IMO, I was impressed with his how the team played (terrible 4th down call excluded).  They seemed to be prepared and I loved the aggressiveness, didn't like the fade on the opening drive TD but hey it worked. I'll say he shouldn't have put the team in that situation with the dumb trick play. One thing Luck still does extremely well is his hard count. He had a better chance of drawing them offsides and getting the 1st down if anything happened. That one trick play does tarnish the game though.

IMO, I was impressed with his how the team played (terrible 4th down call excluded).  They seemed to be prepared and I loved the aggressiveness, didn't like the fade on the opening drive TD but hey it worked. I'll say he shouldn't have put the team in that situation with the dumb trick play. One thing Luck still does extremely well is his hard count. He had a better chance of drawing them offsides and getting the 1st down if anything happened. That one trick play does tarnish the game though.

I agree.. if we had finished without that play with everything else equal, the talk would have been "if only the refs hadn't blown that onside kick call, the Colts would have won that game!"  

People tend to be prisoners of the moment. But overall, this season has been marked by multiple reports that Pagano is on the way out. The results of that poll aren't very surprising, but there are a lot of coaches who deserve to be fired more than Chuck Pagano.

I don't believe that Whalen was ever supposed to snap the ball on that play and it was an error of execution, but yeah the upside for that play was never very high.

People tend to be prisoners of the moment. But overall, this season has been marked by multiple reports that Pagano is on the way out. The results of that poll aren't very surprising, but there are a lot of coaches who deserve to be fired more than Chuck Pagano.

Name 5 coaches that need to go more than Chuck

Bill O'Brien

Ken Whisenhunt

Jack del Rio

Jay Gruden

Jim Caldwell

Jeff Fisher

Jim Tomsula

Gus Bradley

Your mileage may vary, but the mere fact that all these coaches aren't looking good illustrates the point. None of them have won a playoff game since Pagano was hired. Some of them have never won a playoff game. Some of them haven't been to the playoffs in years.

And I'm leaving off honorable mention guys like Mike McCoy, Sean Payton, John Fox (the Bears appear to be willing to sacrifice this season), and Lovie Smith. 

I'm not even on the Fire Pagano train. The only reason I'm not sold on him is that we have too many technical issues that shouldn't be difficult to fix (like last night, not just the failed fake, but the play calling the second half, the play calling in the Bills game, blown assignments, etc.).

Bill O'Brien

Ken Whisenhunt

Jack del Rio

Jay Gruden

Jim Caldwell

Jeff Fisher

Jim Tomsula

Gus Bradley

Your mileage may vary, but the mere fact that all these coaches aren't looking good illustrates the point. None of them have won a playoff game since Pagano was hired. Some of them have never won a playoff game. Some of them haven't been to the playoffs in years.

And I'm leaving off honorable mention guys like Mike McCoy, Sean Payton, John Fox (the Bears appear to be willing to sacrifice this season), and Lovie Smith.

I'm not even on the Fire Pagano train. The only reason I'm not sold on him is that we have too many technical issues that shouldn't be difficult to fix (like last night, not just the failed fake, but the play calling the second half, the play calling in the Bills game, blown assignments, etc.).

Jack del Rio??

John Fox??

Jim Tomsula??

Are you serious? You are usually a voice of reason. Do you really believe those three should be fired after 5-6 games? That's ridiculous. The only coach there that deserves to be fired is Gruden.

Pagano should not be fired. Now that this Patriots game is past, the Colts will be the team everyone thought they would be.

Here is a little fact that I brought up in another thread. Bill Belichicks first four seasons his record was 36-44. Pagano's record is 27-15. That is minus the 9-3 record of Bruce Arians. I am not saying that Chuck is the next Bill but there are a lot of people who want Chuck fired. You compare Chuck with Bill a lot of times. If you going to do that isn't fair to look at the big picture? To put this in perspective Bill Cowher has one super bowl in two trips in 15 years. Pagano has better records than Belichick and similar records with Cowher, Pagano also has a better record than Bill Walsh started with. Pagano also has a better starting record than Bill Parcells started with. Pagano done this with pretty much an all new team. I understand that things get very emotional when the season has gone like this one have but firing him would be too premature IMO. Maybe if you take a look at the big picture rather than letting your emotions dictate? A lot of out side fans call Colt fans spoiled. There is a lot of truth to that. Some want a super bowl now and when it don't happen they go off and want heads to roll. It makes no difference why, they want it and act like spoiled kids when they don't get it. Then here comes the attitude that someone has to pay. No matter what there are others who say be patient and good this will happen, they don't want to hear that. Reality and reasoning go out the window when the fanatic comes out in being a fan. This comment is not directed at anyone specifically. Just some food for thought for all of us, including me. Great coaches are not automatically great. They work at it from trial and error before getting there.

Billy O B.

Lovie Smith

Gus Bradley

Jon Harbaugh (the Ravens are 1-5 people!!!)

Andy Reid's seat is getting hot, they are 1-5 too down in Kansas!

There's 5 but I'll even give you a 6th - Jim (Robot) Caldwell.... The Lions are terrible... I mean just awful.

People are naming coaches who, one, have only been on the job for a relatively short time, and two, don't have a QB like Luck. The poll looks about right to me. Four years, especially with a QB like Luck, is about all you will get. In the 2014 season, only one coach had lasted more than four years at his current position without making a Super Bowl - Marvin Lewis. Only Super Bowls bring job security. At this stage, only a Super Bowl can save Chuck.

Bill O'Brien

Ken Whisenhunt

Jack del Rio

Jay Gruden

Jim Caldwell

Jeff Fisher

Jim Tomsula

Gus Bradley

None of those coaches have a talented team that's under achieving amidst high expectations like Pagano and the Colts.  Chuck can't hide behind the playoff appearances - the measuring stick is the Pats.  The fact that he can't get the little things fixed on the field like the play calling, the penalties, the slow starts (although not an issue Monday - he gets props for that).  My issue is that Grigson is also complicit in the under achievement by the team.  I no longer trust Grigson with the groceries.  Its hard for me to want to fire Pagano without sending Grigson packing too.  

Looking at that list they gave as options:

Kelly -- Eagles are in 1st in NFC East.

Peyton -- they all knew was going be a tough year but they are 2-1 over the last 3.

O'Brien -- possibly, the issue is the D right now as well as no QB.

Other (Caldwell) -- they have looked awful! I can see him going .

Pagano - has a team predicted to go to the SB this year by many but are just not performing anywhere near expectations. The Colts will win the South easily because well the South is awful! But do even colts fans feel they be more than one and done? And if they are shouldn't they coach be canned for such an under performance?

Like our own division rival Gus Bradley. I mean how long is he going to get a pass because the Jaguars are "still re-building"? It's been 3 years and he has a grand total of about 6 wins.

Or what about Mike Pettine? Browns have lost games that you have to try to lose.

Pagano shouldn't be the guy most on the hot seat. Maybe number 5 or 6, but 1 is absurd.

Looking at that list they gave as options:

Kelly -- Eagles are in 1st in NFC East.

Peyton -- they all knew was going be a tough year but they are 2-1 over the last 3.

O'Brien -- possibly, the issue is the D right now as well as no QB.

Other (Caldwell) -- they have looked awful! I can see him going .

Pagano - has a team predicted to go to the SB this year by many but are just not performing anywhere near expectations. The Colts will win the South easily because well the South is awful! But do even colts fans feel they be more than one and done? And if they are shouldn't they coach be canned for such an under performance?

Peoples ignorant expectations should not be what the coach is evaluated on. The team is not nearly talented enough to consider a SB appearance.

And I just want to say if we needed an aging slow WR, would have just resigned Reggie. Andrew seems lost to me without him.

Billy O B.

Lovie Smith

Gus Bradley

Jon Harbaugh (the Ravens are 1-5 people!!!)

Andy Reid's seat is getting hot, they are 1-5 too down in Kansas!

There's 5 but I'll even give you a 6th - Jim (Robot) Caldwell.... The Lions are terrible... I mean just awful.

Raven's just came off a pretty good season.  I don't think they will fire Harbaugh because of 1 bad season.  

I would LOVE for them to fire Harbaugh because I would LOVE to have Harbaugh coach the Colts.

If the Ravens fire Harbaugh, Irsay can't pick the phone up fast enough.  I'd hire him before Pags has even had time to clean out his office.

Here is a little fact that I brought up in another thread. Bill Belichicks first four seasons his record was 36-44. Pagano's record is 27-15. That is minus the 9-3 record of Bruce Arians. I am not saying that Chuck is the next Bill but there are a lot of people who want Chuck fired. You compare Chuck with Bill a lot of times. If you going to do that isn't fair to look at the big picture? To put this in perspective Bill Cowher has one super bowl in two trips in 15 years. Pagano has better records than Belichick and similar records with Cowher, Pagano also has a better record than Bill Walsh started with. Pagano also has a better starting record than Bill Parcells started with. Pagano done this with pretty much an all new team. I understand that things get very emotional when the season has gone like this one have but firing him would be too premature IMO. Maybe if you take a look at the big picture rather than letting your emotions dictate? A lot of out side fans call Colt fans spoiled. There is a lot of truth to that. Some want a super bowl now and when it don't happen they go off and want heads to roll. It makes no difference why, they want it and act like spoiled kids when they don't get it. Then here comes the attitude that someone has to pay. No matter what there are others who say be patient and good this will happen, they don't want to hear that. Reality and reasoning go out the window when the fanatic comes out in being a fan. This comment is not directed at anyone specifically. Just some food for thought for all of us, including me. Great coaches are not automatically great. They work at it from trial and error before getting there.

I'm willing for pagano to be coach. Just not Grigson to be Gm.

I'm willing for pagano to be coach. Just not Grigson to be Gm.

IMO if the Colts do finish strong the rest of the year Grigson and Pagano will both be here. I don't think Irsay is going to make any changes.  The GM position is no different than the head coaches position as it takes time through trial and error to become a good GM. I don't think that Grigson or Pagano are as bad as some make them out to be. Has Grigson made some bad moves? Yes. But he has hit on some pretty good moves and it seems not too many want to acknowledge that. After watching the patriot game this team is better than some think. Both lines are better and also improving. It's easy to sit and say fire someone without looking past that. Sometimes it can become a mistake not to look and see what that down side of those actions might be. Bringing in a new GM might not be as great as some think. It could get a lot worse starting over.

IMO if the Colts do finish strong the rest of the year Grigson and Pagano will both be here. I don't think Irsay is going to make any changes.  The GM position is no different than the head coaches position as it takes time through trial and error to become a good GM. I don't think that Grigson or Pagano are as bad as some make them out to be. Has Grigson made some bad moves? Yes. But he has hit on some pretty good moves and it seems not too many want to acknowledge that. After watching the patriot game this team is better than some think. Both lines are better and also improving. It's easy to sit and say fire someone without looking past that. Sometimes it can become a mistake not to look and see what that down side of those actions might be. Bringing in a new GM might not be as great as some think. It could get a lot worse starting over.

I think unless we at least make the SB Pagano is probably out.  Maybe he could keep his job and be short of that if he somehow comes up with a win over the Pats in an earlier round of the playoffs.

The fact that he's on the last year of his contract and all they would offer was a 1 year extension is super telling.  They are not committed to Pagano.  And it's was becoming clear before the fake punt fail that Pagano was not likely to stay on.  

I think unless we at least make the SB Pagano is probably out.  Maybe he could keep his job and be short of that if he somehow comes up with a win over the Pats in an earlier round of the playoffs.

The fact that he's on the last year of his contract and all they would offer was a 1 year extension is super telling.  They are not committed to Pagano.  And it's was becoming clear before the fake punt fail that Pagano was not likely to stay on.  

The failed fake punt is not what is going to determine Pagano's job. Quit taking what you read in the media serious. If Irsay don't re-sign Pagano it's not from the results of one bad play.

Bill O'Brien

Ken Whisenhunt

Jack del Rio

Jay Gruden

Jim Caldwell

Jeff Fisher

Jim Tomsula

Gus Bradley

Only one I agree with is Caldwell. Playoffs last year, on track for the #1 pick this year. That's awful

Tomsula has the highest paid RB playing QB. Not much he can do. Kap stinks

Bradley, Whisenhunt, O'Brian all inherited bad teams in a division dominated by the Colts. Give them a few more seasons. Especially Whisenhunt cause Mariota looks solid

Jack Del Rio looks to have the Raiders playing better, give him more time. Carr & Cooper have had a solid season together. They just still need to get rid of all those old players and continue building young. And Rio needs to get rid of the blonde hair, it's awful haha

Here is a little fact that I brought up in another thread. Bill Belichicks first four seasons his record was 36-44. Pagano's record is 27-15. That is minus the 9-3 record of Bruce Arians. I am not saying that Chuck is the next Bill but there are a lot of people who want Chuck fired. You compare Chuck with Bill a lot of times. If you going to do that isn't fair to look at the big picture? To put this in perspective Bill Cowher has one super bowl in two trips in 15 years. Pagano has better records than Belichick and similar records with Cowher, Pagano also has a better record than Bill Walsh started with. Pagano also has a better starting record than Bill Parcells started with. Pagano done this with pretty much an all new team. I understand that things get very emotional when the season has gone like this one have but firing him would be too premature IMO. Maybe if you take a look at the big picture rather than letting your emotions dictate? A lot of out side fans call Colt fans spoiled. There is a lot of truth to that. Some want a super bowl now and when it don't happen they go off and want heads to roll. It makes no difference why, they want it and act like spoiled kids when they don't get it. Then here comes the attitude that someone has to pay. No matter what there are others who say be patient and good this will happen, they don't want to hear that. Reality and reasoning go out the window when the fanatic comes out in being a fan. This comment is not directed at anyone specifically. Just some food for thought for all of us, including me. Great coaches are not automatically great. They work at it from trial and error before getting there.

none of those guys started out with a player like luck

I think people are putting too much importance on the fake punt play.  As stupid as it was, the result of it was no different than if Luck or Gore fumbled the ball on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down.  Turnovers happen, even in your own territory, and teams overcome them.

But the play, IMO, caused an immediate lack of confidence, possibly an embarrassment, to all of the Colts players and probably the organization as a whole.  Is a representation of what a lot of folks consider to be Pags' weakness, on-field management of the game.  I don't know if his perception or game awareness is what it should be 

The play calling in the second half seemed to be born from panic, when a slow methodical drive could have put the Colts only 7 points down. 

After the opening drive of the second half when Gronk scored and put the Pats up 6 points, i think the play calling changed after that, and the players seemed to be tighter.  That led to the fake punt on the Cotls' second? series.   

In game management would've been better to stay calm and try to do the things you did on the first drive of the game, where Luck was 7 for 7 at one point.

The result of the fake punt was merely a turnover.  But it seemed to have been called out of desperation.  I think it just illustrates in-game awareness and strategy decisions that have been issues for a while. 

I'm not on the "Pagano must go" bandwagon by any means, but I think the comparison to Belichick's years in Cleveland is off target.  

Belichick had a revolving door at the QB position with six different starters in four seasons: the popular (in Cleveland) Bernie Kosar for 29 starts and an 11--16 record, Vinnie Testaverde for 31 starts and a 16--15 record, Mike Tomczak, eight starts, 4--4, Todd Philcox (huh?) 5 starts, 1--4, Eric Zeier (huh?*2), 4 starts, 1--3 and Mark Rypien, 4 starts, 1--3.

Pagano has had one of the most hyped and heralded players to hit the NFL in a long time as his QB the entire time.

none of those guys started out with a player like luck

That's true but none of these started out with a whole new team and 38 million in negative cap space. You can complain all you care to because that's your mind set. But tell me one other team or coach that have went 11-5 straight seasons in their first three years. Other than the Cowboys who had a block buster trade there have been none. So go ahead and carry on with your negative mind set because it makes no difference to anyone but you. You say fire everyone. OK, after that happens then what? You seem to think building a championship team is easy so lets hear your plan.

I'm not on the "Pagano must go" bandwagon by any means, but I think the comparison to Belichick's years in Cleveland is off target.  

Belichick had a revolving door at the QB position with six different starters in four seasons: the popular (in Cleveland) Bernie Kosar for 29 starts and an 11--16 record, Vinnie Testaverde for 31 starts and a 16--15 record, Mike Tomczak, eight starts, 4--4, Todd Philcox (huh?) 5 starts, 1--4, Eric Zeier (huh?*2), 4 starts, 1--3 and Mark Rypien, 4 starts, 1--3.

Pagano has had one of the most hyped and heralded players to hit the NFL in a long time as his QB the entire time.

Why is it off target. Facts are facts. My point was coaches are not automatically great. Results are from trial and error. Even the great HOF coaches didn't start out being great. The learned the job by making mistakes and errors. Pagano has not even had the time yet some want him fired. I guess if the fan base of the Steelers, Giants and Cowboys controlled who was fired and hired they wouldn't be the champions. We can all sit behind our keyboards and say what needs to be done but in reality that is not the right way or the smartest way. When you let your emotions effect your choices it never turns out good. Fire someone? Then what. Is there even anyone who is any better out there? We don't know. As far as Pagano having Luck, Luck did not go three 11-5 seasons all by himself. Colt fans are so used to being good that when a rough spot does come up they cant handle it and go bananas.

I don't expect to see Coach Pags next year.  I like him and don't see him here.  Grigson low balled Coach Pags' contract knowing Pags would not except it.  

Since I do not know who's idea it was to bring in the coaching staff we have, so it's hard to lay blame for what is going on with the team.

We have rumors out there about a problem between Grigson and Coach Pags, and it looks like they may be fact.

I do know we should have beaten the Pats.  We did in 1st half,  but changed game plan in the 2nd half.

Again, hard to say who's at fault.

Coach Pagano is just an easy target after this week's loss. Don Shula always said you build your team to win your division, which we've done year-in and year-out. We were 1 game away from the SB last year and a TD away from tying the Pats last Sunday. Seriously people need to chill out on the firing Pagano talk.

Coach Pagano is just an easy target after this week's loss. Don Shula always said you build your team to win your division, which we've done year-in and year-out. We were 1 game away from the SB last year and a TD away from tying the Pats last Sunday. Seriously people need to chill out on the firing Pagano talk.

The problem is there is a big gap between being the best team in the afc south, and being a legit contender.

The failed fake punt is not what is going to determine Pagano's job. Quit taking what you read in the media serious. If Irsay don't re-sign Pagano it's not from the results of one bad play.

The failed defense of the "Hail Mary" pass to Jalen Strong was also embarrassing for Pagano.

Why is it off target. Facts are facts. My point was coaches are not automatically great. Results are from trial and error. Even the great HOF coaches didn't start out being great. The learned the job by making mistakes and errors. Pagano has not even had the time yet some want him fired. I guess if the fan base of the Steelers, Giants and Cowboys controlled who was fired and hired they wouldn't be the champions. We can all sit behind our keyboards and say what needs to be done but in reality that is not the right way or the smartest way. When you let your emotions effect your choices it never turns out good. Fire someone? Then what. Is there even anyone who is any better out there? We don't know. As far as Pagano having Luck, Luck did not go three 11-5 seasons all by himself. Colt fans are so used to being good that when a rough spot does come up they cant handle it and go bananas.

Well, first of all, I started my comment by saying that I wasn't among those who think that Pagano should be on the "hot seat."  

But, I think it's fair for people to be getting frustrated when he clearly has, in Andrew Luck, a phenom at the most important position on the fiield, who led his team to three consecutive 11-5 seasons in his first three years in the league; neither P. Manning nor Brady had anything like those numbers in their first three years in the League...Brady didn't even start until his second season.  And Brady didn't have a genuine "#1 Receiver" until he had Randy Moss and now Gronkowski.

But I also think it's fair to say that Pagano was outcoached by Belichick on Sunday night.  Both teams had a bad break that cost them a score or a chance to score: the on-target pass that bounced off of a normally sure-handed Edelman's fingers into the defender's arms and an inability of the officials, for whatever reason, to allow what looked like the recovery of a very well executed onside kick by the Colts.  

Pagano tried to "out Belichick" Belichick with the "Snapfu" play and the Colts' O line was so consistently playing "low" during kicking plays that Jamie Collins anticipated their play and jumped over the line to keep it a seven point game at a crucial time.  A little thing?  Yes, but games are won and lost at practice on "little things."  The Patriots clearly didn't panic when the Colts went into that punt formation and actually looked like they had practiced for it.  

So, yeah, I think it's fair to ask questions...not to throw the guy overboard....but to ask questions.  And I think it's fair for people to wonder just a little how many rings Luck might have with Noll or Walsh or Belichick on the sidelines.  That's a high bar...and it's probably wrong to hold any coach to that standard, but I can understand the frustration that gives rise to what people are saying.

He was already on a pretty hot seat and another loss to the Patriots just makes it hotter.  There are rumors that Irsay was none too pleased with that fake punt or whatever it was supposed to be.  I don't think Irsay really care how we lost to the Patriots.  We are 0-5 against them under Pagano.  Then there are all of the rumors that Grigson and Pagano are feuding.  If Pagano somehow gets this team to the Superbowl he will get a nice extension.  If we don't make the playoffs or if we get to the playoffs and get bounced out early or get beat down by the Patriots, then Pagano is as good as gone.  

I might blame the owner. No contract extension. The pressure had to be great on Chuck to beat NE. hence he went to the tricks in desperation mode.

Did you seriously just compare Pagano to BB? 

BB's 1st 4 seasons... in Cleveland right?  Cleveland SUCKED   we dont

Bill Walsh???  The 3 time superbowl champion and inventor of the WCO Bill Walsh?

He won the SB his 3rd Yr   

Comparing him to Bill Parcels?     Stop  just stop

Come on man....... compare apples to apples...  look at those teams these guys started with, compared to this team.

I might blame the owner. No contract extension. The pressure had to be great on Chuck to beat NE. hence he went to the tricks in desperation mode.

Pagano's lack of an extension isn't because he had to beat the Pats. It's because he's only been the head coach for 2 and a quarter seasons, and it wouldn't make sense to commit big money to him moving forward. 

The WTFail wasn't a desperation call. They thought they had a small chance of catching the Pats off guard, and in their minds, worst case scenario was take the penalty and punt. Big mistake in not having Whalen up to speed, but that wasn't a 'I have to beat the Pats to keep my job, so let's try something crazy' call. Pagano has given the STs green light to try unconventional stuff since last season, and he's also been more aggressive on fourth down. Has nothing to do with his contract status.

Do you think this will change after what happened against NE?

No, nor should it.

Prior to the Pats game, we were perfect on surprise onside kicks, and we should have had possession on that one. The fake punt in the Cowboys game was perfect, except McDonald dropped the pass. McAfee's run against the Titans was perfect. I feel like I'm missing one, but that's 4 extra possessions out of 7 chances. Even this one doesn't happen if Whalen is fully aware of the play. We've also been pretty good on the 4th down calls, including the Moncrief TD on Sunday.

So why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Fix the technical issues, even if that means scrapping this play (which is too bad, because it's an interesting wrinkle that could possibly work if run correctly), and be smart about it. Don't coach scared.

Jack del Rio??

John Fox??

Jim Tomsula??

Are you serious? You are usually a voice of reason. Do you really believe those three should be fired after 5-6 games? That's ridiculous. The only coach there that deserves to be fired is Gruden.

Pagano should not be fired. Now that this Patriots game is past, the Colts will be the team everyone thought they would be.

I think those three are more deserving of being fired than Pagano. Partly because, in all the case of all three, I didn't think they were good hires to begin with. Del Rio is a bad coach, and John Fox is overly conservative to a fault. Tomsula always seemed like a last option, and they haven't looked good so far, but they lost a lot of good players. I don't think any of them are going to be fired now or after this season, but I'd rather have Pagano than any of them.