Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is wrong with Peyton Manning?

SilentHill

His arm is gone. He has to put his whole body into it when he throws anything over 10 yards. Even then he's incredibly inaccurate at times. It's really sad to watch a legend decay right in front of your eyes.

Plus it looks like he never did recover from that injury.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is "wrong" with Peyton unless it's wrong to try to defeat Father Time who is undefeated. Age is what we all deal with and now I am convinced it is his time to step down. Right now it does not look as if they can win in the playoffs with his current performance and I hope he does not try to hang on any after this season. I guarantee he will be asked to step down by the organization. As fierce as a competitor as he is it will be hard but he knows better than everyone his numbers are sinking. It gets us all.

His arm is gone. He has to put his whole body into it when he throws anything over 10 yards. Even then he's incredibly inaccurate at times. It's really sad to watch a legend decay right in front of your eyes.

Yeah, he cannot have a feel for where the ball will land. He prided on his accuracy and mind. His accuracy is gone because he does not know once it leaves his hand, the exact velocity and where the ball will land. It has to do with the fact that he cannot feel his fingertips and they have gotten worse as the season has gone on, IMO. He is doing things based on muscle memory.

That is the only logical explanation for how much he puts his body behind the throw and the throw is still lacking in velocity and accuracy.

Def..

That's actually not true..about the arm

He overthrows Sanders consistently...like he cant judge his speed..

..and he doesnt set his feet on throws..like he's hurrying himself.

They have 2 weeks to fix it. I'd abandon the pistol and put Sanders in the slot with the the kid from Michigan State..Bennie Fowler on the outside....Their TEs cant get open

Peyton is hanging on because of lifetime records - I understand that but he's one year past what he should have played and will only continue to go down in performance.  His mind will keep him/them in some of the games but his body is betraying him AND he's no longer playing in a system that lets his mind win the games for them.

I do not want to see him hurt - and I'm very afraid that's how things are going to end for him.

Yea ive been getting this feeling too of him, I think he really just wants to cement a few career records before he hangs them up.  I just hope he doesn't sustain another serious injury that could linger into his post-football life.

This should be Manning's last year, if he survives the whole season.

Peyton is still better than brady

As much as I hate to admit it, I think its pretty clear that this year he is nowhere near Brady's level.  Brady only has 1 interception on the season, and that was after he hit Edelman right in the numbers on his chest with a perfectly thrown ball and Edelman bobbled it up into the air because of a bad finger.

Denver's defense is incredible though, so any given Sunday... they could potentially upset the Pats since its in Mile High

As much as I hate to admit it, I think its pretty clear that this year he is nowhere near Brady's level.  Brady only has 1 interception on the season, and that was after he hit Edelman right in the numbers on his chest with a perfectly thrown ball and Edelman bobbled it up into the air because of a bad finger.

Denver's defense is incredible though, so any given Sunday... they could potentially upset the Pats since its in Mile High

right, but cheaters never truly win in the eyes of the fans, so its all irrelevant

right, but cheaters never truly win in the eyes of the fans, so its all irrelevant

I get asked a lot who's better all-time, Peyton or Brady? There is no right answer. They are both Top 5 IMO. I think Peyton could carry a team more by himself but Brady is so clutch. Brady has always had Belichick, Peyton has had multiple coaches. Dungy was his best Coach and Dungy isn't near the Coach that BB is. Dungy is Very Good but Great would be stretching it.

I agree with 18 above.

SH you know what a fan I am, but I'm not an apologist, or a homer, or so many other adjectives people like to use when describing Peyton fans. I'm just a "fan" and have been for a long time.

Having said that, this season is bittersweet and frustrating to watch.

He finally has a killer Defense, and there is no question the D is why they're 6-0. Can you imagine Peyton in his Prime with this D?

To answer your question, I think the trouble is a combo of things. Sure Peyton shoulders some of the blame, but trying fit him into Kubiaks offense is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Peyton under center does not work, and the O line is terrible.

I see glimpses of greatness still, just when I am ready to join the ranks of those that say its time for him to walk away he'll do something great and there will be the glimpse of the HOF player we know, but glimpses are not enough to sustain. Something is going to have to give.

:dunno:

If only Denver had hired Bum Jr when Manning first arrived. Looking at it now they should have just kept Fox and Gase and hired Bum Jr.

I don't get my panties in a wad about who is the "greatest" of all time.  Each QB has unique strengths and weaknesses AND has differing situations with the strength of the team around them.  We don't have an adequate perspective on the old time guys - we didn't see the play so we discount their abilities or just don't think much about them.  I think any QB that makes the top 10 is a great QB - one that just about any of us would be happy to have lead our teams.  

What about the guy who was drafted by a rotten team that didn't do much to improve his circumstances?  What about these young QBs that get to or win super bowls because the team around them was so strong all they had to do was not screw things up?  Two or three years later, they are seen for their true talent level.  Too many moving targets to ever get a true apples to apples comparison.

I've enjoyed watching Peyton play ball ever since INDY drafted him. He's had a remarkable run from 2004-2009 & then his 2013 SB appearance with the Broncos. I just want him to finish on a high note. At least, the 2nd round of the Playoffs minimum. The Manning brothers are capable of cold spells, but when they get hot watch out. I'm tough on 18 sometimes, but in all honesty, I want him to make a deep run this year with Ward, Talib, & Ware when healthy. 

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I wanna see him show his critics that early turnovers can be fixed & regardless of age, a high football IQ can still make the naysayers go "The old man's still got it when it counts." 

Yes I know, Peyton can't play forever & other QBs will emerge to fill the void in his absence. However, one ring to 2 other big dance appearances will always be impressive to me regardless of how Denver's season plays out. Thank you Manning for your incredible INDY stewardship, your tremendous resurgence after your bursa sac knee surgery in 2008, the Lombardi trophy in 2006, & for being a spectacular NFL ambassador off the field for 2 separate franchises. 

It's easy to say his arm strength is gone & the picks are more & more frequent. I choose to remember his TDs to Harrison, Wayne, Collie, Garcon, Clark, Welker, Tammie, & Damarius Thomas etc. etc. As well as his tight bond with his down to earth Center Jeff Saturday especially at the ProBowl with Jeff representing the Packers. Cool stuff man. 

The other thing that bothers me is how some fans want to see Peyton go away because he's not a spring chicken anymore. If a QB's skills diminish which may lead to the need to walk away from the game that's 1 thing, but don't go out of your way to be mean in Manning's swan song man. Show some class. His body of work demands that we cut Manning some slack for early struggles this year IMO. 

Once Manning's gone, Phillip Rivers will dominate that division I think with Derek Carr giving San Diego some fits but nothing Phillip can't handle. I am so impressed with Rivers at the GB game. He threw some incredible passes & when Woodhead's pass got deflected on the final play & Rivers laid there flat on his back for a few seconds. I knew exactly what he was thinking "I'm exhausted & spent. I can't give you any more Chargers fans." I love that kind of passion & strength man from a QB who did everything in his power to win & pull the game out. Fantastic! 

I don't get my panties in a wad about who is the "greatest" of all time.  Each QB has unique strengths and weaknesses AND has differing situations with the strength of the team around them.  We don't have an adequate perspective on the old time guys - we didn't see the play so we discount their abilities or just don't think much about them.  I think any QB that makes the top 10 is a great QB - one that just about any of us would be happy to have lead our teams.  

What about the guy who was drafted by a rotten team that didn't do much to improve his circumstances?  What about these young QBs that get to or win super bowls because the team around them was so strong all they had to do was not screw things up?  Two or three years later, they are seen for their true talent level.  Too many moving targets to ever get a true apples to apples comparison.

I have said this many times but all a player can be is the greatest of his generation and then everything else is up for conjecture as it is very difficult to compare different eras.  I feel that this era of cap/FA is by far the hardest era to consistently win as the game is set up for teams to go 8-8 every season. The rule changes certainly make it more friendly for QB stats and all but winning and winning consistently is much harder IMO.

Manning - my favorite player of all-time, and easily the best QB I've ever seen - is now Chad Pennington. Extremely smart, but lacking of the physical tools to properly execute those smarts...it's unfortunate to see him like this...hopefully he goes out on top if the Colts can't, but I don't wish to watch him struggle...

Nothing is "wrong" with Peyton unless it's wrong to try to defeat Father Time who is undefeated. Age is what we all deal with and now I am convinced it is his time to step down. Right now it does not look as if they can win in the playoffs with his current performance and I hope he does not try to hang on any after this season. I guarantee he will be asked to step down by the organization. As fierce as a competitor as he is it will be hard but he knows better than everyone his numbers are sinking. It gets us all.

I'm not so sure it didn't take some persuasion from Denver management for him to come back this year. I don't think they'll have to ask him to step down after this season, he will do it on his own.  

Manning - my favorite player of all-time, and easily the best QB I've ever seen - is now Chad Pennington. Extremely smart, but lacking of the physical tools to properly execute those smarts...it's unfortunate to see him like this...hopefully he goes out on top if the Colts can't, but I don't wish to watch him struggle...

I will miss him greatly when he is no longer in the NFL.

I will miss him greatly when he is no longer in the NFL.

Honestly, I got a little emotional seeing him walk off the field against Indianapolis last year...I thought that was the last time and I wasn't really prepared mentally for that I don't think (in case anyone doesn't recall, he was the slam dunk MVP favorite at the midpoint of the season)...now, this time, I think I'll be ready...deeply saddened, but more prepared...

Honestly, I got a little emotional seeing him walk off the field against Indianapolis last year...I thought that was the last time and I wasn't really prepared mentally for that I don't think (in case anyone doesn't recall, he was the slam dunk MVP favorite at the midpoint of the season)...now, this time, I think I'll be ready...deeply saddened, but more prepared...

LOL, I don't mind saying, I got a bit emotional when I listened to him talking about leaving the Colts (when we weren't sure what was going to happen). I had an appointment that day and had just pulled up in the parking lot about 15-20 prior to the appointment. The presser came on the radio with Peyton talking. Man, that really chocked me up. Good thing I had some time to compose myself before my meeting.

I agree with 18 above.

SH you know what a fan I am, but I'm not an apologist, or a homer, or so many other adjectives people like to use when describing Peyton fans. I'm just a "fan" and have been for a long time.

Having said that, this season is bittersweet and frustrating to watch.

He finally has a killer Defense, and there is no question the D is why they're 6-0. Can you imagine Peyton in his Prime with this D?

To answer your question, I think the trouble is a combo of things. Sure Peyton shoulders some of the blame, but trying fit him into Kubiaks offense is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Peyton under center does not work, and the O line is terrible.

I see glimpses of greatness still, just when I am ready to join the ranks of those that say its time for him to walk away he'll do something great and there will be the glimpse of the HOF player we know, but glimpses are not enough to sustain. Something is going to have to give.

:dunno:

The Colts could never afford this D after paying Manning and all his weapons on offense. 

This is a little off topic but I read some article citing the gameplan as the biggest reason for his problems while acknowledging that he's lost a step. This offense is basically the opposite of a) what Peyton prefers and b) what Peyton does well. Now nobody will admit this but...watch Denver lose a game. Peyton will go so Favre on Kubiak and Elway that Jeff George will wince.

This is a little off topic but I read some article citing the gameplan as the biggest reason for his problems while acknowledging that he's lost a step. This offense is basically the opposite of a) what Peyton prefers and b) what Peyton does well. Now nobody will admit this but...watch Denver lose a game. Peyton will go so Favre on Kubiak and Elway that Jeff George will wince.

That makes sense. Even if Peyton lost a step, if he was 75% of what he was (at the beginning of last season) and had their D, the Broncos would be a big-time powerhouse. Some will say the D hasn't really been tested, but they're very good on paper. So far, they're proving paper right.  

That makes sense. Even if Peyton lost a step, if he was 75% of what he was (at the beginning of last season) and had their D, the Broncos would be a big-time powerhouse. Some will say the D hasn't really been tested, but they're very good on paper. So far, they're proving paper right.

very anxious to see the Denver 'D' against Aaron Rodgers....

Great matchup..because the Broncos can rush and cover

The other thing that bothers me is how some fans want to see Peyton go away because he's not a spring chicken anymore. If a QB's skills diminish which may lead to the need to walk away from the game that's 1 thing, but don't go out of your way to be mean in Manning's swan song man. Show some class. His body of work demands that we cut Manning some slack for early struggles this year IMO. 

Once Manning's gone, Phillip Rivers will dominate that division I think with Derek Carr giving San Diego some fits but nothing Phillip can't handle. I am so impressed with Rivers at the GB game. He threw some incredible passes & when Woodhead's pass got deflected on the final play & Rivers laid there flat on his back for a few seconds. I knew exactly what he was thinking "I'm exhausted & spent. I can't give you any more Chargers fans." I love that kind of passion & strength man from a QB who did everything in his power to win & pull the game out. Fantastic! 

If Manning retires after this season I agree it is SD's Division to lose. Osweiler even with a great Defense is probably going 8-8. Rivers is still young enough to be solid for 3 or 4 more years if he doesn't get injured. Chiefs look awful, I have never been an Alex Smith fan anyway and the Raiders aren't better than SD either.

very anxious to see the Denver 'D' against Aaron Rodgers....

Great matchup..because the Broncos can rush and cover

The Denver front is good but not quite up there with the fronts that have beaten Green Bay basically by themselves over the years (49ers, Seahawks, Vikings in 2009). That's really the only way to win on defense this era. It seems like even if you do everything right in coverage there's still a way for any average or better quarterback to gain 5 yards.

It'll be a cool game though. The only other Peyton vs Aaron game was in 2008 in absolute sleeper where the Colts were just...well...asleep lol!

The Denver front is good but not quite up there with the fronts that have beaten Green Bay basically by themselves over the years (49ers, Seahawks, Vikings in 2009). That's really the only way to win on defense this era. It seems like even if you do everything right in coverage there's still a way for any average or better quarterback to gain 5 yards.

It'll be a cool game though. The only other Peyton vs Aaron game was in 2008 in absolute sleeper where the Colts were just...well...asleep lol!

That should be a great game. That game will show me a lot where the Broncos stand and Packers stand. I think it's more important to Denver though and here's why, Denver cant afford to lose hardly any games in order to get HFA. They need HFA to beat the Patriots. I fully believe the Packers will go no worse than 12-4 and that will get them HFA in the NFC IMO, I cant see Carolina being better than 12-4 and Arizona already has 2 losses, Seattle 3. Patriots are capable of going 14-2 so the Broncos probably cant lose more than 2 games.

If only Denver had hired Bum Jr when Manning first arrived. Looking at it now they should have just kept Fox and Gase and hired Bum Jr.

You are all over it.. I liked Del Rio but I think the Denver defense now has 3 players..linebackers Barrett and Ray and safety Stewart..who weren't there last year playing significant roles..

...Its almost the same defensive personell they had last year.

They only differece is the co-ordinator

You are all over it.. I liked Del Rio but I think the Denver defense now has 3 players..linebackers Barrett and Ray and safety Stewart..who weren't there last year playing significant roles..

...Its almost the same defensive personell they had last year.

They only differece is the co-ordinator

Except the issue last year was not the defense. It was the offense which only put up 13 vs the Colts and then watched the Pats put up 45 the following week. That is why Fox/Gase were let go and Elway told Manning he was going to change everything to take the burden of the offense off of him. Problem is Manning can't run his offense and the personnel is just not there. They needed more time to build it with the Oline and run game ...

Peyton has lost a step or two or three no doubt.

But asking a 39 year old QB to do something different than what he has been used to... well is just dumb KUBIAK (ye hear me :) )