Punt play fail (merge)

Crunked

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's definitely bad, but I believe ours is worse. We committed to a trick 4th down play in a closely contested game when we had solid momentum, and what's worse, our failure gave Brady excellent field position, and eventually, a TD. Washington attempted their trick play at the end of the half down by a lot of points -- they had nothing to lose, other than 3 pts.

I'd have to agree that it may be as ugly, but nowhere near as impactful on the game as the Colts blunder tonight.

I get the feeling Pagano thought he might have been coaching for his job in this one with the weird, off the wall decisions. He gambled and lost...literally. I think this is the loss that sealed the deal. Pagano will not be here next year. Now the question is....who will be joining him?

I get the feeling Pagano thought he might have been coaching for his job in this one with the weird, off the wall decisions. He gambled and lost...literally. I think this is the loss that sealed the deal. Pagano will not be here next year. Now the question is....who will be joining him?

I was thinking the same thing. As soon as that play went bad, I thought... "there goes Chuck". Well, right after a few expletives came out of my mouth and I settled down.

The idea was to try and catch them off guard. Hoping to get favorable numbers over griff. Obviously that didn't occur. If they didn't get the numbers they wanted griff wasnt supposed to snap it. Take the delay and punt

I'm confused though why Griff was the QB in this situation. That's a huge responsibility to put on a young man in a crucial down situation who we tend to cut every now and then. Why not just put TY Hilton in, or Frank Gore? Did they put Whalen in because he's expendable and didn't want to chance an injury to another player?

I'm confused though why Griff was the QB in this situation. That's a huge responsibility to put on a young man in a crucial down situation who we tend to cut every now and then. Why not just put TY Hilton in, or Frank Gore? Did they put Whalen in because he's expendable and didn't want to chance an injury to another player?

Griff was the center. Makes sense right?

I think they were also trying to catch New England frantically trying to substitute players, maybe catch them with 12 men on the field in the confusion. If Whalen didn't snap the ball, the whole fiasco is a non-issue. Whalen usually makes good decisions on special teams.

We always criticize the Colts for not being creative or aggressive. This play turned out to be an epic failure, but I like when they try trickery. McAfee ' s runs, the pass against Dallas, the kicks to himself, even the pass to Hilton last week to seal the win- I love the gutsy calls

Julian Edelman: "You're not surprised by anything (with) how they play. They tried the onside kick and (fake punt). You know, Colts."

I cannot stand arrogance. Their heads are so big, I'm surprised they can walk straight. What would he have said if it worked? ... exactly. So we didn't stop them, that's fine. They won, that's fine. So why isn't it: "On to New York (Jets)"?

No, of course he has to be smug and make a snarky remark to get a reaction, well it worked. No humbleness, no class, no respect, ...*smh* ... I swear.

Julian Edelman: "You're not surprised by anything (with) how they play. They tried the onside kick and (fake punt). You know, Colts."

I realize you're trying to show that another player was insulting the Colts and Pagano,  but he wasn't.

He simply said the Colts try a lot of unexpected stuff.

You know,  like onside kicks,  which I think the team went 3 for 3 on last year.

You know, like the fake punt in the Dallas game, which worked perfectly,  except the wide open receiver dropped the pass.

You know,  like McAfee running for a first down in the Tennessee game.

You know,  like the onside last night which we recovered,  except the refs ruled for New England.

So,   there was no insult to Pagano or Indianapolis,  despite what you were trying (and failing)  to show.

Yeah, that answer does not satisfy me.

We'd already demonstrated that we would go for it on 4th down so they definitely would have been a little more jumpy than usual about it.

If Chuck had his heart set on trying to draw them offsides with the punting unit, why not actually leave them in formation instead of going into something that was a complete joke of a formation by us?

The answer was just the politically correct thing to say. The truth is that Griff Whalen screwed up, and this is entirely on him.

This is really simple. They would have tried a trick play if their shift had confused the Patriots enough for them to be misaligned, and if not, then they were to try to draw them offsides. If not, take the delay of game and then go out there and punt. It's not rocket science.

For whatever reason, Whalen decided to snap the ball, whether he got mixed up with the cadence or the Pats simulated the snap count (Deion's theory) or whatever. They didn't get the look they wanted, so the ball should never have been snapped. He messed up, and then we were left with a disaster on our hands.

IMO, we don't know if it was a terrible call since it wasn't executed properly.  The execution was horrible however and I suppose you could blame the coaching staff for not having the players properly prepared to execute it properly.  But I wouldn't call it a bad "call."

If you really want to blame someone, it has to be Whalen.  Just a brain lock.

sorry but whalen was put in a position hes NEVER been in because coaches want to get cute and everbody yells blah cut him. cut the imbicile coach that allowed that nonsense to take place

yeah they won't even blame the playcalling which led to these tricks it's 4th and 1 we've run it with ease we try a trick play instead of just running it down thier throats like they do us every 4th and 1

Yes Griff was to blame for the actual botch of the play but for me the bigger picture is why it was even called in the first place in the field position and with the scores as they were. The last few years there have been plenty of conservative plays called when we could have had a realistic chance of converting a fourth down so of all the times to get adventurous in one of our biggest regular season games beggars belief really.

I'd rather they just punt in that situation. Luck had plenty of opportunities to draw NE off sides, without any success. NE is too well coached to fall for a 4th down hard count. It's too obvious. Just punt and play smart football.

A fake punt is OK...I just don't know what we were trying to make them do with that formation.

What did we want to see? That was not a legal formation..unless there's a shift out of that we didn't see

..I'm sure itll come out...exactly what scenario would have us snap the ball there.

I just didn't understand

That was one of the most head scratching calls I have ever seen especially given the point in the game. Down 6, deep in your own end. Just punt it there or keep the offense on and try to draw Pats off-sides. It was amazing how much that swung momentum as the Pats scored on the short field to go 13 and then Indy just started passing the rest of the way.

I realize you're trying to show that another player was insulting the Colts and Pagano, but he wasn't.

You know, like onside kicks, which I think the team went 3 for 3 on last year.

You know, like the fake punt in the Dallas game, which worked perfectly, except the wide open receiver dropped the pass.

You know, like McAfee running for a first down in the Tennessee game.

You know, like the onside last night which we recovered, except the refs ruled for New England.

So, there was no insult to Pagano or Indianapolis, despite what you were trying (and failing) to show.

This is how I took it/read it. Expect the unexpected. It's all about perspective.

I realize you're trying to show that another player was insulting the Colts and Pagano, but he wasn't.

You know, like the fake punt in the Dallas game, which worked perfectly, except the wide open receiver dropped the pass.

You know, like the onside last night which we recovered, except the refs ruled for New England.

So, there was no insult to Pagano or Indianapolis, despite what you were trying (and failing) to show.

Um. Yes. Yes there was. Did you not see him throw the ball at the wall where the fans were after his score? Him screaming at the refs when he didn't get a play call. When our guy scoops and scores on a dead play and our guy stops running when he heard the whistle and Edelman came in hot to try and pop the ball out of his hands 3 seconds after the whistle. If you think NE respects us that's just on you only being a fan do 3 years and a month.

Um. Yes. Yes there was. Did you not see him throw the ball at the wall where the fans were after his score? Him screaming at the refs when he didn't get a play call. When our guy scoops and scores on a dead play and our guy stops running when he heard the whistle and Edelman came in hot to try and pop the ball out of his hands 3 seconds after the whistle. If you think NE respects us that's just on you only being a fan do 3 years and a month.

Lol. Did he throw that football into the wall with malicious intent? Those poor fans having to witness a generic td situation. Screaming at the refs? Really, he was just butthurt for getting tugged by cbs; just like every receiver nowadays when they don't make the catch. Him punching the ball out is something that you always see on blown whistle dead plays. If I'm not mistaken, he picked the ball up and ran with it after the whistle too. I hate the pats beating us just as much as the next guy but come on.

Absolutely no sense or point in that botched punt "formation"!!! Complete stupidity that set our Colts up for failure!

Agreed.  He tried to outcoach the best HC in football.  Hoodie 1, Pagano 0.  Pags was trying to get New England confused and try to sub- get more than 11 on the field. That_is_when Griff was to snap the ball, not at any other time (unless they crossed into the neutral zone for a penalty).  Either Whalen miscounted, or panicked.  Even if the Pats defenders didn't shift back over to the QB, that play was doomed from an illegal formation standpoint.

There must be 7 players on the line. And there must be an eligible number at both ends of the line (or an ineligible that has declared to be eligible).  Without having to go look up the rule, I knew that setup as it was just couldn't be the play, unless it was to get a D player into neutral zone or catch 12 or more on the playing field, then snap it.  Otherwise take the delay penalty and let Boomstick punt it.  But coach Pagano didn't teach it well enough and we made the error, not Hoodie and his minions. And I was flabbergasted we even tried it.

Agreed. He tried to outcoach the best HC in football. Hoodie 1, Pagano 0. Pags was trying to get New England confused and try to sub- get more than 11 on the field. That_is_when Griff was to snap the ball, not at any other time (unless they crossed into the neutral zone for a penalty). Either Whalen miscounted, or panicked. Even if the Pats defenders didn't shift back over to the QB, that play was doomed from an illegal formation standpoint.

There must be 7 players on the line. And there must be an eligible number at both ends of the line (or an ineligible that has declared to be eligible). Without having to go look up the rule, I knew that setup as it was just couldn't be the play, unless it was to get a D player into neutral zone or catch 12 or more on the playing field, then snap it. Otherwise take the delay penalty and let Boomstick punt it. But coach Pagano didn't teach it well enough and we made the error, not Hoodie and his minions. And I was flabbergasted we even tried it.

Hoodie 5: Pagano 0. The fact that this play is in the playbook tells enough on how the coaches are not smart enough to coach an elite football team

Amazing how this thread flipped from discussing Pagano to a quote from a Pats player. Kind of reminds me of Pagano's coaching, which is also all over the place.

Great football coaches have one common ingredient: they are all geniuses when it comes to the game of football. They may not all have IQ test scores over 140, but their football IQ's are off the charts. And then there is Chuck. Nice guy. Cancer survivor. Alleged defensive mastermind with little evidence to support it. A football genius? Hardly.

I realize the same criticism could be leveled at Grigson. He probably needs to go, too. The challenge for Irsay is to find genius and that probably means hiring some assistant who has the right genes or perhaps a really good head coach who needs a change of scenery like Dungy did.

I think it's funny how the refs will call the balls Indys "by accident" and then reverse the ball to NE, without even as much as announcing the change in who's ball it is.

NE sure has the refs in their little pockets. And no one thinks anything is rigged in this major sport? Oh I forgot that money wasn't to root of all evil. I'm just crazy. It's also funny how they have a nack for making those calls that could be game changing.

Momentum would have shifted. That ball was Indys, and there sure as hell was enough to over turn it.

Hoodie 5: Pagano 0. The fact that this play is in the playbook tells enough on how the coaches are not smart enough to coach an elite football team

Well. the only hope I have is that it did take Dungy and Manning 7 tries to beat Hoodie.......then won like 5 in a row

Edelman really irritates me and would be a nobody if he was on any 31 other teams for his career

Good heavens. It was only three short years ago that Patriot Nation wondered how in the world the Pats would replace Wes Welker - the best slot WR in the game who led the league in receptions for several years. In steps a 7th round draft choice, QB who plays stronger, faster and better in the big moments than Welker. And was easily the second MVP of the SB behind Brady. But yeah, he would be a nobody anywhere else ...

Good heavens. It was only three short years ago that Patriot Nation wondered how in the world the Pats would replace Wes Welker - the best slot WR in the game who led the league in receptions for several years. In steps a 7th round draft choice, QB who plays stronger, faster and better in the big moments than Welker. And was easily the second MVP of the SB behind Brady. But yeah, he would be a nobody anywhere else ...

Exactly. He went from a punt returner getting some solid returns, Cleveland didn't even wanna offer him that much money. He stays home and becomes the guy. I don't like him personally for the arrogance but the guy is the best player on the field every single week, which is a testament to NEs incredible coaching. Don't rebuild; reload.