Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck & Rib Injury

Coltsagent

I hear ya, SW, but seeing as how it seems that Pep is Grig's boy, I'm not so sure how much input Chuck has on the offensive calls.  That's all I'm saying.

I place Christensen in more blame than Chuck.  Clyde has to get in Luck's ear that he doesn't have to win it all by himself and go with the short stuff.

What is a QB coach for anyway?  He's been here too long,but that's just me.

As for personnel, Chuck should do better at finding out O-Line combinations, agreed.  BUT, he can only work with what he's given.  That's on Grigs as much as it is on Chuck.

Now, with regards to the D, well, that's all on Chuck.  We have to be able to adjust in-game.  It's frustrating seeing us get beat by a one dimensional offense.  Not that NE is

one dimensional, but we have provided nothing in adjusting to their initial game plan.  That is on our coaching staff (can you say Chuck??)!

Hopefully this game will be a better chess match between coaches and both teams are executing well.  We just seem to still be in the locker room when we play NE.  It is sad.

Nice post MBCF. I do agree that Chuck can only coach the quality of players that Ryan Grigson provides him with & yes, as a defensive minded guy, Pagano may not be gifted when it comes to matters of our o-line much like Rex Ryan is a defensive genius so therefore, he turns over all offensive schemes & execution to Greg Roman in Buffalo or Marty Mornhinweg during Rex's tenure with the NY Jets. So your point is well taken that the defense & the secondary coaching DBs is what Pags excels at not how INDY scores points week in; week out. 

Yes, all I care about is no bone headed yellow flags, no turnovers, no fumbles, & no false starts. It drives me nuts when we jump early in our own stadium. We know our snap count & we can't give Brady free yards either. I'm with ya man. We're on the exact same page MBCF. Trust me. 

I don't buy that. We know Rothlisberger has a sprained MCL, and Romo broke his collar bone or whatever. You mean to tell me that with Luck it's because of the law? Coaches discuss injuries all the time. You mean to tell me Luck is the rare case who doesn't want his info made public? Do you really believe that?

Read the law.

I would think Paggno had 0 input on the Dorsett pick, IMO! Maybe the rest of the defensive picks but not #1.

So Pagano didn't notice that when Hilton got shut down the whole offense got shut down? The Colts were leading the league when Wayne and Bradshaw were healthy. When they were injured the offense went down fast. He may have a lot more to do with the Dorsett pick than you think. If you remember Bradshaw was catching TDs, not running them.

So Pagano didn't notice that when Hilton got shut down the whole offense got shut down? The Colts were leading the league when Wayne and Bradshaw were healthy. When they were injured the offense went down fast. He may have a lot more to do with the Dorsett pick than you think. If you remember Bradshaw was catching TDs, not running them.

I still don't think so Gore and Johnson were already signed, Moncrief a year older and wiser after a promising rookie season, already had signed Duron Carter huge upside, and 2 way above average TE's I bet Pags was just drooling to get Dorsett into camp so he could sit behind a large stockpile of WR's. He wouldn't have wanted a stud LB or saftey, pass rusher type, or an OLmen hum I think not. Ty was shut down because we had a cruddy game plan against NE period. It will happen again this week if we don't model our offense similar to NE's in this game IMO.

I still don't think so Gore and Johnson were already signed, Moncrief a year older and wiser after a promising rookie season, already had signed Duron Carter huge upside, and 2 way above average TE's I bet Pags was just drooling to get Dorsett into camp so he could sit behind a large stockpile of WR's. He wouldn't have wanted a stud LB or saftey, pass rusher type, or an OLmen hum I think not. Ty was shut down because we had a cruddy game plan against NE period. It will happen again this week if we don't model our offense similar to NE's in this game IMO.

I believe what Irsay had to say about the draft myself. He said it is all discussed when the big board is made up and pretty much all the players are put in order. We can say who's pick was who's but the bottom line it is Irsay who decides who to pick. He may have let Grigs make the pick but he agreed.  I think when the Colts picked Dorsett they had another Harrison and or Wayne in mind with the talent level. Both those players did not start out setting the NFL on fire. The Dorsett pick was for the future. The studs were gone by the time the Colts picked. We can all use hindsight to say who should have been picked but that is true in every draft after the fact.

As Bill Parcels said so eloquently, if you want me to cook in the kitchen, I need to be the one to buy the groceries. Grigson is picking the players. Pagano has to coach 'em up. If there is a problem with personnel, don't blame Pagano. He isn't buying any groceries.

i guess Pagano is just a bad cook then

ChuckStrong nonsense?  There is a law that applies to all of us. It is against the law called HIPPA Privacy to discuss any medical problem with anyone without a signed waiver from who ever is injured or sick. Pagano can not talk about it. All he can do legally is say that Luck is questionable, out or probable. If Luck himself don't tell then no one else can talk about his injuries. That applies to everyone.  Speaking of nonsense where did you come up with a comment like that?  Was it just you getting a dig in on Pagano?

I know I'm not the poster you were responding to but please explain how HIPPA applies to employers.

Because in this case, Luck is an employee of the Colts organization. 

I know I'm not the poster you were responding to but please explain how HIPPA applies to employers.

Because in this case, Luck is an employee of the Colts organization. 

HIPPA gives the patent control over the use of their heath information. Protected health information is a section of HIPPA. For more info go to HIPPA.org.

ChuckStrong nonsense? There is a law that applies to all of us. It is against the law called HIPPA Privacy to discuss any medical problem with anyone without a signed waiver from who ever is injured or sick. Pagano can not talk about it. All he can do legally is say that Luck is questionable, out or probable. If Luck himself don't tell then no one else can talk about his injuries. That applies to everyone. Speaking of nonsense where did you come up with a comment like that? Was it just you getting a dig in on Pagano?

Hi Crazy. I know HIPAA (note proper acronym please) pretty much inside and out. Appreciate your heads up. HIPAA plays very little role in NFL injury disclosures. Players' status is released by executed waiver. While medical records (called PHI under HIPAA - again note proper phrasing) would be excluded from disclosure/discussion. Coaches are not healthcare providers. Fine if you want to quarrel with my position on Pagano and how I view his management. We're good.

Except where he pats Andrew, there are no ribs. That is the sternum area. The anterior portion of the ribs do attach to the sternum there, though. Also, also, the front of the shoulder pads extends to that area. The shoulder pads also sit on top of the AC joint. I still feel that is where the problem was/is. In a way somewhat similar to how a roof leak could be many feet away from where the water is actually seen, as it flows across beams and rafters, the pads movement could aggravate Luck's injured area, but it not necessarily be right at the sternum of the chest where Matt pats him. I also remeber seing this in real time during the broadcast, but was hoping it was minor.

Franchise NFL QB's do not sit unless the injury doesn't allow them proper movement to perform, or there is a chance to further aggravate the injury for returning to soon. I think everybody realizes a 'sore shoulder' does not make a QB DNP or limited for nearly 3 weeks, unless that 'sore shoulder' is caused by something of more concern.

I remember Tony Romo in 2011 playing through fractured ribs and a collapsed lung. Then the next 6 weeks he played with a protective vest and taking pain injections. There is no way on earth Tony Romo would sit because of a 'sore shoulder'. I don't think Andrew would either. Just sayin' ...

I think its safe to say we will never know the full truth about Lucks injury. There's obviously something they aren't telling us about it. What that is? Who knows, but we as fans will probably never know. I find it incredibly hard to believe his "sore shoulder" made it so painful to where he could barely throw a pass for 3 weeks. But that's just me...

Once again the Colts by law have to keep it hush hush as you call it. We just have to keep in mind there are laws that prohibit any discussion of injuries or sickness. It is called HIPPA Privacy law. All this rumor of anyone trying to be sly or secretive is nonsense. The by laws for the NFL is the team can only list probable, out or questionable and can not say any more unless Luck himself discusses it or signs a waiver.

Yes, protected health information, but actually, it is HIPAA, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.  That's just so people can research it for themselves if so inclined.  Here's one URL-

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/

Many football injuries are disclosed, OTOH...

HIPPA gives the patent control over the use of their heath information. Protected health information is a section of HIPPA. For more info go to HIPPA.org.

Crazy, I know how it (i.e., HIPAA) works man (to an extent; in no way do I consider myself an expert).

I was attempting to test the depth of your knowledge on the subject as what you have been saying has not been not jiving with my understanding of the statute/rules.  And I wasn't trying to be rude.  It's just that it can be problematic if you're purporting to be an expert on a complicated subject. 

In the context of this forum, people relying on your interpretation of HIPAA is not a problem. 

As Esquire59 points out below, when/where/how HIPAA applies, and to whom it applies to, varies (i.e., its application is dependent upon a multitude of factors).

Anyway, all is good.  It's not like you were trying to be malicious about it. 

Hi Crazy. I know HIPAA (note proper acronym please) pretty much inside and out. Appreciate your heads up. HIPAA plays very little role in NFL injury disclosures. Players' status is released by executed waiver. While medical records (called PHI under HIPAA - again note proper phrasing) would be excluded from disclosure/discussion. Coaches are not healthcare providers. Fine if you want to quarrel with my position on Pagano and how I view his management. We're good.

Health law is nowhere near my specialty.  Appreciate you stepping in to shed some more light on the subject.

Read the law.

It's not that I don't believe the law. It's just that I don't think the law is why the Colts are being so quiet about this. Like I said before, there are other QBs around the league who get injured and the team and/or the player state the nature of the injury.

I don't get why Luck would be the rare exception. I think he was told not to really say anything.

It's not that I don't believe the law. It's just that I don't think the law is why the Colts are being so quiet about this. Like I said before, there are other QBs around the league who get injured and the team and/or the player state the nature of the injury.

I don't get why Luck would be the rare exception. I think he was told not to really say anything.

Not trying to be argumentative but it is not unusual for coaches not to discuss the extent of an injury. I think it is the factor that they think the defenses would try to take an advantage if they knew an opposing player was injured. If you were a defender and knew the player you were playing had an injury to his shoulder, you would use that to your advantage when given the chance.

Yes, protected health information, but actually, it is HIPAA, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.  That's just so people can research it for themselves if so inclined.  Here's one URL-

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/

Many football injuries are disclosed, OTOH...

But another part of HIPAA is the privacy section of it. I have no clue if any player signs some sort of waiver to cover things like this in the NFL. (maybe in their contracts, I don't know)

But another part of HIPAA is the privacy section of it. I have no clue if any player signs some sort of waiver to cover things like this in the NFL. (maybe in their contracts, I don't know)

I can shed light on this too without going into specifics. The CBA and individual player contracts provide full disclosure (team/employer/team medical staff (both employed and contract medical). You're generally right about HIPAA, Cray, but only in the context of a patient, healthcare provider, and disclosure of PHI. Pro and amateur sports teams, by obvious nature of ops, must know, review, discuss, opine, critique what would be PHI to a provider. The disclosures released permit "employers" and related agents full access which would constructively include discussing same with 3rd parties (us). I mean, to simplify this, if HIPAA truly applied to NFL teams, we wouldn't even have injury reports and pressers to discuss. Hell, as much as #ChuckStrong enjoys being awful in interviews, he'd love to sit back and just rely on HIPAA to not say ANYTHING. Hell, Chuck would quote HIPAA and chopping wood as an excuse for not discussing the teams plans against [insert any opponent] this week!

The ambiguity, and this is my opinion, comes from coaching/directing staffs' "strategery" in not fully describing the injury. Again my opinion; this is done a) to protect the player from opponents keying on injury ("hey lets go after his shoulder, ribs, ankle, uh...groin, etc) and b) not giving opponent-coaching staffs information that could aid their game-planning, etc.

I can shed light on this too without going into specifics. The CBA and individual player contracts provide full disclosure (team/employer/team medical staff (both employed and contract medical). You're generally right about HIPAA, Cray, but only in the context of a patient, healthcare provider, and disclosure of PHI. Pro and amateur sports teams, by obvious nature of ops, must know, review, discuss, opine, critique what would be PHI to a provider. The disclosures released permit "employers" and related agents full access which would constructively include discussing same with 3rd parties (us). I mean, to simplify this, if HIPAA truly applied to NFL teams, we wouldn't even have injury reports and pressers to discuss. Hell, as much as #ChuckStrong enjoys being awful in interviews, he'd love to sit back and just rely on HIPAA to not say ANYTHING. Hell, Chuck would quote HIPAA and chopping wood as an excuse for not discussing the teams plans against [insert any opponent] this week!

The ambiguity, and this is my opinion, comes from coaching/directing staffs' "strategery" in not fully describing the injury. Again my opinion; this is done a) to protect the player from opponents keying on injury ("hey lets go after his shoulder, ribs, ankle, uh...groin, etc) and b) not giving opponent-coaching staffs information that could aid their game-planning, etc.

I don't think Chuck enjoys being awful in interviews at all. I think you have him confused with Belichick? haha