Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck & Rib Injury

Coltsagent

Geez...more wonderful news! Yuck!

The Colts org should just let Andrew sit and heal and get back to 100%.

New England is going to win the game anyway and probably Hasselbeck would keep it closer than Andrew throwing 3 more picks trying to 'make a play'.

This is Luck's team. If he is healthy enough to play, he should play. I am glad to see you have faith in your team.

This is Luck's team. If he is healthy enough to play, he should play. I am glad to see you have faith in your team.

"Faith" is for religion, not football. 

I just don't want to see Andrew out there struggling at less than 100% and running the risk of getting knocked out for a few(many) more games.

I just don't want to see Andrew out there struggling at less than 100% and running the risk of getting knocked out for a few(many) more games.

I don't really have a response to that. If games were decided before the game, then there would no use in playing them. You know Luck wants to play in this game.  I am pretty sure that Pagano and the doctors will be watching Luck really close. If there is a problem with his play Matt will be ready.

Every NFL superstar plays thru injuries CC. There's no such thing as 100% healthy in October for anybody. We gotta put Andrew on the field vs NE. Hasselbeck isn't better than Luck. He's got more experience yes, but this isn't 2005 vs the Steelers in Detriot at the SB anymore. 

I don't care what happens the rest of the season. I just wanna see if we can hang with the Patriots. Have we learned anything? Namely how not to get humiliated & actually show up on our own home turf. 

If we get stomped this weekend, Chuck Pagano better be gone next season & hire somebody that knows how to coach the offensive line pronto. 

BTW: Faith doesn't always stem from biblical roots; It often simply means quiet confidence that you or your team will do what must be done even if the rest of the planet thinks you're nuts. 

By that limited explanation of faith, an atheist can never have confidence in their own preparation, IQ, or abilities ,which in my mind, is narrow reasoning & a flawed philosophy. JMO. 

You are of course free to believe whatever you want CC & I am free to respectfully disagree with that point of view. 

Every NFL superstar plays thru injuries CC. There's no such thing as 100% healthy in October for anybody. We gotta put Andrew on the field vs NE. Hasselbeck isn't better than Luck. He's got more experience yes, but this isn't 2005 vs the Steelers in Detriot at the SB anymore. 

I don't care what happens the rest of the season. I just wanna see if we can hang with the Patriots. Have we learned anything? Namely how not to get humiliated & actually show up on our own home turf. 

If we get stomped this weekend, Chuck Pagano better be gone next season & hire somebody that knows how to coach the offensive line pronto. 

BTW: Faith doesn't always stem from biblical roots; It often simply means quiet confidence that you or your team will do what must be done even if the rest of the planet thinks you're nuts. 

By that limited explanation of faith, an atheist can never have confidence in their own preparation, IQ, or abilities ,which in my mind, is narrow reasoning & a flawed philosophy. JMO. 

You are of course free to believe whatever you want CC & I am free to respectfully disagree with that point of view.

If we do get "stomped" this game and Andrew is looking just as bad as he did before the injury how do you blame Pags? For playing him or for not resting him? I tend not to blame the coach for the hurt QB having a bad game unless the training staff& Dr's say he shouldn't play, but the coach overrides them (virtually never happens).

Is it Pag's job to coach the O-Line? I thought that Joe Gilbert's job??

I know nothing more than anyone else, but I think Pags gets a pass for taking the heat in this game *IF* Andrew still looks injured and we get trounced. If Andrew looks okay, but we still have no answer for the Pat's offense then I may be looking for a change as well.

Just my two pennies...

More speculation.  My guess is the Colts are never going to tell us exactly what was up with Luck. 

By law they cant. All the NFL can do is issue a Doubtful, out or questionable response. Luck is protected from discussion of his medical condition just like all of us.  He would have to sign a waiver before any doctor, coach, GM or anyone else can legally say anything about his condition.

If we do get "stomped" this game and Andrew is looking just as bad as he did before the injury how do you blame Pags? For playing him or for not resting him? I tend not to blame the coach for the hurt QB having a bad game unless the training staff& Dr's say he shouldn't play, but the coach overrides them (virtually never happens).

Is it Pag's job to coach the O-Line? I thought that Joe Gilbert's job??

I know nothing more than anyone else, but I think Pags gets a pass for taking the heat in this game *IF* Andrew still looks injured and we get trounced. If Andrew looks okay, but we still have no answer for the Pat's offense then I may be looking for a change as well.

Just my two pennies...

Take a look at Superman's signature line. That pretty much encapsulates the problem. The HC oversees his entire staff does he not? Therefore, I would assume he can step in & advise Mr. Gilbert with guidance when necessary. Remember when Pagano gave his introductory press conference & said "let's hunt" & that we were going to run the ball to have a balanced offense & protect our QB & now Luck has broken ribs? 

NE has kicked our caboose what in our last 4 matchups now by a wide margin. How much time does he really need to show us over & over again how to get dominated? In addition, we will see NE again in the Playoffs & if this coaching staff can't make adjustments & put our players in a position to at least earn a respectable loss what's the point? It's time to make a change if we get pulverized by over 30-35 points. Let's not live in the land of make believe shall we. 

I will admit that Luck has to reduce his turnovers yes, but the volume of hits Andrew has taken since he got here is a direct reflection on 2 people: the head coach & the GM. "Luck should be used to pressure by now" --Chuck Pagano. Um no Chuck. You are paid to make sure your QB has protection up front & if you can't furnish that consistently, Jimmy will find another HC that does just that. Again, Chuck has had plenty of time to give Luck a clean pocket & he can't or won't.

I appreciate your feedback MBCF. I truly do. I just get bummed out when an elite QB like Luck cannot be protected. Screw WRs & TE's just solidify the line or bring in an advisor who understands alignments, blocking, gap control, setting the edges, & creating running lanes please. 

If Chuck shows me something surprising on Sunday night, I will give him credit for that sure, but the handwriting is more or less on the wall already & I never fire a coach mid season which spells disaster. Chuck deserves to finish out the year 1 way or another. 

I hate to say it, but I'm leaning toward sitting #12 if there is any doubt.

Despite the hype, this game is not as important as last week's, or the two before it. We are not likely to be playing for home field advantage throughout the playoffs. No reason to rush back Andrew for an emotional have where we are big underdogs when we can just get fat on our division and coast into the playoffs with a healthy QB...

Then when we face NE in the AFCCG this season we will know that they beat us when we were down... or, less likely, we beat them with one hand tied behind our backs...

Of course, if Luck is not at increased risk of reinjuring his ribs/shoulder whatever, then he should play.

As Bill Parcels said so eloquently, if you want me to cook in the kitchen, I need to be the one to buy the groceries. Grigson is picking the players. Pagano has to coach 'em up. If there is a problem with personnel, don't blame Pagano. He isn't buying any groceries.

Whether or not who plays, Matt or Andrew, how much does it truly impact the opposing team's game preparation? Can't it be simplified or narrowed down to: Here is what we will do on this play or scenario against Hasselbeck, and here's what we'll do (call) against Luck in the same scenario. And here is how it could play out differently with A vs B.

Regardless of who is under center they know that QB's tendencies, strong points, flaws, shortcomings, etc. So if QB X plays we use this package and adjust as needed. And vice versa. They have tape to work off of, same Offense, and it's more than just the QB playing the game. So how much does it change REALLY when it comes to preparedness? Perhaps I'm not thinking too much into things and it's far more complex than my feeble mind can comprehend.

I think Luck hurt his ribs at Buffalo. Everyone recalls how beat up he was post-game. Took some

Brutal shots. He looked poor against the Jets. Maybe he dinged a shoulder too. My $0.02 is that it's classic #ChuckStrong nonsense. Agree with all y'all who opine that we'll simply never know (maybe offseason).

I think Luck hurt his ribs at Buffalo. Everyone recalls how beat up he was post-game. Took some

Brutal shots. He looked poor against the Jets. Maybe he dinged a shoulder too. My $0.02 is that it's classic #ChuckStrong nonsense. Agree with all y'all who opine that we'll simply never know (maybe offseason).

I also think he was injured in the Buffalo game. Cant prove it but just the way he played in that game and after that was unusual.

As Bill Parcels said so eloquently, if you want me to cook in the kitchen, I need to be the one to buy the groceries. Grigson is picking the players. Pagano has to coach 'em up. If there is a problem with personnel, don't blame Pagano. He isn't buying any groceries.

I dunno, Pagano seemed pretty heavily involved in this last draft, and he definitely had a hand in landing Gore and AJ. Grigson may overstep his boundary when it comes to playing time for said players, but I think Pagano's input carries more weight than a lot of people seem to think.

My thoughts exactly. I think they want to avoid ridicule and speculation so they'd rather just keep it hush hush.

I wonder if he plays at all again this year.

every sign in the world is pointing to him playing Sunday. The biggest is that they still only have two QBs on the roster. They aren't going to go into a game with just one QB who can play. So until they sign a third QB I take that to mean Luck will be active. If he's active he will more than likely start.

I think some people on here were wondering if that was the case when they saw this:

FrayedWarmGreatwhiteshark.gif

Except where he pats Andrew, there are no ribs.  That is the sternum area.  The anterior portion of the ribs do attach to the sternum there, though. Also, also, the front of the shoulder pads extends to that area.  The shoulder pads also sit on top of the AC joint. I still feel that is where the problem was/is. In a way somewhat similar to how a roof leak could be many feet away from where the water is actually seen, as it flows across beams and rafters, the pads movement could aggravate Luck's injured area, but it not necessarily be right at the sternum of the chest where Matt pats him.  I also remeber seing this in real time during the broadcast, but was hoping it was minor.

Franchise NFL QB's do not sit unless the injury doesn't allow them proper movement to perform, or there is a chance to further aggravate the injury for returning to soon.  I think everybody realizes a 'sore shoulder' does not make a QB DNP or limited for nearly 3 weeks, unless that 'sore shoulder' is caused by something of more concern.

I remember Tony Romo in 2011 playing through fractured ribs and a collapsed lung.  Then the next 6 weeks he played with a protective vest and taking pain injections.  There is no way on earth Tony Romo would sit because of a 'sore shoulder'.  I don't think Andrew would either.  Just sayin' ...

ChuckStrong nonsense?  There is a law that applies to all of us. It is against the law called HIPPA Privacy to discuss any medical problem with anyone without a signed waiver from who ever is injured or sick. Pagano can not talk about it. All he can do legally is say that Luck is questionable, out or probable. If Luck himself don't tell then no one else can talk about his injuries. That applies to everyone.  Speaking of nonsense where did you come up with a comment like that?  Was it just you getting a dig in on Pagano?

My thoughts exactly. I think they want to avoid ridicule and speculation so they'd rather just keep it hush hush.

I wonder if he plays at all again this year.

Once again the Colts by law have to keep it hush hush as you call it. We just have to keep in mind there are laws that prohibit any discussion of injuries or sickness. It is called HIPPA Privacy law. All this rumor of anyone trying to be sly or secretive is nonsense. The by laws for the NFL is the team can only list probable, out or questionable and can not say any more unless Luck himself discusses it or signs a waiver.

Once again the Colts by law have to keep it hush hush as you call it. We just have to keep in mind there are laws that prohibit any discussion of injuries or sickness. It is called HIPPA Privacy law. All this rumor of anyone trying to be sly or secretive is nonsense. The by laws for the NFL is the team can only list probable, out or questionable and can not say any more unless Luck himself discusses it or signs a waiver.

I don't buy that. We know Rothlisberger has a sprained MCL, and Romo broke his collar bone or whatever. You mean to tell me that with Luck it's because of the law? Coaches discuss injuries all the time. You mean to tell me Luck is the rare case who doesn't want his info made public? Do you really believe that?

Take a look at Superman's signature line. That pretty much encapsulates the problem. The HC oversees his entire staff does he not? Therefore, I would assume he can step in & advise Mr. Gilbert with guidance when necessary. Remember when Pagano gave his introductory press conference & said "let's hunt" & that we were going to run the ball to have a balanced offense & protect our QB & now Luck has broken ribs? 

NE has kicked our caboose what in our last 4 matchups now by a wide margin. How much time does he really need to show us over & over again how to get dominated? In addition, we will see NE again in the Playoffs & if this coaching staff can't make adjustments & put our players in a position to at least earn a respectable loss what's the point? It's time to make a change if we get pulverized by over 30-35 points. Let's not live in the land of make believe shall we. 

I will admit that Luck has to reduce his turnovers yes, but the volume of hits Andrew has taken since he got here is a direct reflection on 2 people: the head coach & the GM. "Luck should be used to pressure by now" --Chuck Pagano. Um no Chuck. You are paid to make sure your QB has protection up front & if you can't furnish that consistently, Jimmy will find another HC that does just that. Again, Chuck has had plenty of time to give Luck a clean pocket & he can't or won't.

I appreciate your feedback MBCF. I truly do. I just get bummed out when an elite QB like Luck cannot be protected. Screw WRs & TE's just solidify the line or bring in an advisor who understands alignments, blocking, gap control, setting the edges, & creating running lanes please. 

If Chuck shows me something surprising on Sunday night, I will give him credit for that sure, but the handwriting is more or less on the wall already & I never fire a coach mid season which spells disaster. Chuck deserves to finish out the year 1 way or another. 

I hear ya, SW, but seeing as how it seems that Pep is Grig's boy, I'm not so sure how much input Chuck has on the offensive calls.  That's all I'm saying.

I place Christensen in more blame than Chuck.  Clyde has to get in Luck's ear that he doesn't have to win it all by himself and go with the short stuff.

What is a QB coach for anyway?  He's been here too long,but that's just me.

As for personnel, Chuck should do better at finding out O-Line combinations, agreed.  BUT, he can only work with what he's given.  That's on Grigs as much as it is on Chuck.

Now, with regards to the D, well, that's all on Chuck.  We have to be able to adjust in-game.  It's frustrating seeing us get beat by a one dimensional offense.  Not that NE is

one dimensional, but we have provided nothing in adjusting to their initial game plan.  That is on our coaching staff (can you say Chuck??)!

Hopefully this game will be a better chess match between coaches and both teams are executing well.  We just seem to still be in the locker room when we play NE.  It is sad.

I hear ya, SW, but seeing as how it seems that Pep is Grig's boy, I'm not so sure how much input Chuck has on the offensive calls.  That's all I'm saying.

I place Christensen in more blame than Chuck.  Clyde has to get in Luck's ear that he doesn't have to win it all by himself and go with the short stuff.

What is a QB coach for anyway?  He's been here too long,but that's just me.

As for personnel, Chuck should do better at finding out O-Line combinations, agreed.  BUT, he can only work with what he's given.  That's on Grigs as much as it is on Chuck.

Now, with regards to the D, well, that's all on Chuck.  We have to be able to adjust in-game.  It's frustrating seeing us get beat by a one dimensional offense.  Not that NE is

one dimensional, but we have provided nothing in adjusting to their initial game plan.  That is on our coaching staff (can you say Chuck??)!

Hopefully this game will be a better chess match between coaches and both teams are executing well.  We just seem to still be in the locker room when we play NE.  It is sad.

When Paggno said he should be use to it, Luck that is that was a frustrated remark. Grigson could have been saying who to play, the line coach maybe, you don't know. You notice after that was said the line changed the following week and has looked better with Grigsons, boy from Philly getting benched! Agree somewhat with the D comment, other than our CD's have been injured not allowing us to play as much man, but you got to have a pass rush to do someto. In this NE game IMO you have to play tight man coverage or the short passing game will kill us!

I dunno, Pagano seemed pretty heavily involved in this last draft, and he definitely had a hand in landing Gore and AJ. Grigson may overstep his boundary when it comes to playing time for said players, but I think Pagano's input carries more weight than a lot of people seem to think.

I would think Paggno had 0 input on the Dorsett pick, IMO! Maybe the rest of the defensive picks but not #1.