Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fans of Opposing Teams on Colts Forum

18Manning

I sat by some jets fans at the AFC championship and they were too funny and a lot of fun.

Can't judge all fans by the few you meet but those guys were a stitch.

Also met some Saints fans prior to that terrible superbowl. They were also a lot of fun. Although my family blamed me for the loss because I talked nice to saints fans prior to the game.

They still talk about it

I get along with most fans. A few weeks ago I went to a sports bar. A Saints fan and I struck up a conversation and we spoke for a few hours while watching several games. I told him that many Vikings fans dislike Saints fans. He was surprised to hear that. Vikings fans dislike the Packers, Bears, Cowboys, and the Saints most. I don't have a problem with any of them but the Cowboys.

The Colts fans were very nice to me last year at the Colts-Giants game. I was surrounded by them. A group of Colts fans there told me that they were guests of Mr. Irsay's nephew. I asked them if they follow this forum but no one did. I was hoping to put a face to some of the people who post here. :) I enjoy this forum a lot.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat by some jets fans at the AFC championship and they were too funny and a lot of fun.

Can't judge all fans by the few you meet but those guys were a stitch.

Also met some Saints fans prior to that terrible superbowl. They were also a lot of fun. Although my family blamed me for the loss because I talked nice to saints fans prior to the game.

They still talk about it

haha Nadine I can relate. My son blames me for Peyton's losses. I've been to one of his games each year since he's been a Bronco. Twice in Cincinnati and once in Indy. Broncos lost the last two of those.

I spend much more time on patriots planet. I've been on this board for 12 years now.

I th

I don't mind fans of other teams here.

In fact,  two of my favorites here are Girlzarefanstoo (SD fan)   and NFLFan (Vikings fan).  

It is fun to have "friendly" bantor.   Heck we have that in our own living room on Sundays.  In my immediate family, Husband, Kids and Grandkids, there are Colts fans, Broncos fans, Bengals fans and Browns fans...

I think we should be allowed to tar and feather one opposing fan per year. 

It seems like most fans of opposing teams dislike the same two teams: the Cowboys and the Pats. I don't dislike many teams but I root against those two. Last year, I attended the Colts-Giants game. I could not root against either. I like both organizations. On Sunday, I will be attending the Cowboys-Giants game. It won't be too hard to root for the Giants.

that's how I am I can't stand those 2 teams either always want them to lose

Yes, The Pats won he most games in that span, if you include all post season games.  As far as counting only regular season games, the Colts won 115, the Pats 112 in that time frame.  So it's a matter of perspective.

But here is USA Today teams of the decade list, 200-2009:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2000s-franchise-power-rankings.htm

I am surprised they have Philly ranked so high. They didn't win a SB. Giants, Ravens, and Saints all should be above them. Bucs should probably be also eventhough they struggled a lot in the decade but they still won a SB. From the 2000-2009 seasons only the Pats and Steelers won more than 1 SB, we won 1 and had the most Regular Season wins. In that 10 year stretch in 8 of those years it was either the Patriots, Steelers, or Colts in the SB from the AFC. Only in 2000 (Ravens) and 2002 (Raiders) 1 of those 3 teams failed to win the AFC. In the NFC it was more wide open as they had a different team every season make the SB with the exception of the Giants making it twice which was 2000 and 2007.

I think it's lazy when you blindly paint a fanbase as behaving in the same way, much as NY fans were earlier in the topic. Any group or community or people will have a variety of personalities, some good, some bad. That's life. 

As for "away" fans posting on here, we've always made it clear that we treat each and every poster equally regardless of the team they support. That being said, if I was a visitor to another team's board I think you have to be aware that you have to be politer than "home" posters. 

It's like going to the metaphorical party, I wouldn't go to someone's house and spend the evening boasting to their face about how my house is much better, my car is much fancier and have you met my wife? It would just be straight up rude. Same as I wouldn't make rude remarks about the host to other guests behind their back. 

Conversely I wouldn't judge the host, or the other guests, if one guest got rip roaringly drunk and verbally abused me. That's on the individual to take responsibility for their actions.  

TLDR - I won't judge you for the team you support but by the way you comport yourself. If you're rude, two faced and supercilious I'll treat you accordingly. 

Maybe this is why I don't get invited to parties  :scratch:

I think it's lazy when you blindly paint a fanbase as behaving in the same way, much as NY fans were earlier in the topic. Any group or community or people will have a variety of personalities, some good, some bad. That's life. 

But that goes both ways, now doesn't it? The NY fanbase was said to be and I quote, "I appreciate Giants fans and their organization. They act like they have been there before and allow their championships to speak for themselves." 

That would also be lazy and painting a fanbase as behaving the same way, no?

But that goes both ways, now doesn't it? The NY fanbase was said to be and I quote, "I appreciate Giants fans and their organization. They act like they have been there before and allow their championships to speak for themselves."

That would also be lazy and painting a fanbase as behaving the same way, no?

I don't recall saying that??

In general too, people aren't going to be too offended if you're painting in a positive colour. Positive stereotypes are allowed it would seem.

I don't recall saying that??

In general too, people aren't going to be too offended if you're painting in a positive colour. Positive stereotypes are allowed it would seem.

It was not you, it was NFLfan in an exchange we were having. I apologize if you were not referencing that and just speaking in general.

Yes, I agree that people tend to like positive stereotypes but that does not mean they should not be called out for being erroneous IMO.

Figured I'd take the early check-in option and say hello since you're playing one of my division rivals tomorrow. Is it redundant if I wish you good Luck to beat the Saints? TDAmeritrade really went for the low-hanging fruit in those commercials didn't they?

It was not you, it was NFLfan in an exchange we were having. I apologize if you were not referencing that and just speaking in general.

Yes, I agree that people tend to like positive stereotypes but that does not mean they should not be called out for being erroneous IMO.

So there's two things here. If you're referring to the exchange with NFLfan we're onto a whole other world of nuance and credibility. Having seen a lot of her past posts and conversed with her she's built up credibility so I'm more likely to be able to understand the nuance behind her statements. That and I know that she is in a position to speak with some authority on NY fans :P Referencing the party metaphor I'm more likely to be less PC with people I know well because I've established boundaries of behavior with them beforehand. 

In general I've got a lot more respect for people who can defend their position and own up to it when they're wrong rather then ignoring/deflecting. Even people who's argument I agree with can annoy me more than someone I disagree with from the way they behave. Superman brought it up wonderfully well in the fire Pagano arguments, a lot of posters seem to only be able to see the extremes of the argument, they can't take the time to have civil discourse and build up a nuanced opinion. 

You're right thought that "positive" discrimination, it shouldn't happen, but it does and will. That's life  :dunno:

So there's two things here. If you're referring to the exchange with NFLfan we're onto a whole other world of nuance and credibility. Having seen a lot of her past posts and conversed with her she's built up credibility so I'm more likely to be able to understand the nuance behind her statements. That and I know that she is in a position to speak with some authority on NY fans :P Referencing the party metaphor I'm more likely to be less PC with people I know well because I've established boundaries of behavior with them beforehand. 

In general I've got a lot more respect for people who can defend their position and own up to it when they're wrong rather then ignoring/deflecting. Even people who's argument I agree with can annoy me more than someone I disagree with from the way they behave. Superman brought it up wonderfully well in the fire Pagano arguments, a lot of posters seem to only be able to see the extremes of the argument, they can't take the time to have civil discourse and build up a nuanced opinion. 

You're right thought that "positive" discrimination, it shouldn't happen, but it does and will. That's life  :dunno:

Sure. I get what you are saying but such is life on a football forum. Many posters, Colt or rival, are not here to have well argued, well formulated debates. They come to vent, be right, etc. Although, I will say this forum has great debates  because there is a pocket of people who are articulate and take the time to write their posts in an effort to inform rather than argue. That is a rarity so I think that speaks well of this forum.

I have been over on the Colts side more the past week given the Pats game and have to say, it is pretty tough there right now. I get it in some ways as the team is struggling and the media reports about the state of the FO and coach is frustrating. But there seem to be many there that just post to get a rise out of others. But like I said, that is par for the course with forums to some extent.

It seems like most fans of opposing teams dislike the same two teams: the Cowboys and the Pats. I don't dislike many teams but I root against those two. Last year, I attended the Colts-Giants game. I could not root against either. I like both organizations. On Sunday, I will be attending the Cowboys-Giants game. It won't be too hard to root for the Giants.

Try living in Massachusetts. Patriots fans around here haven't been so bad recently, but going into this season, they're just awful. It's worse than 2007 at this point. And I think going 18-1 subdued them for a while, and made living around them more tolerable. It's bad when the local news stations here are calling this season "Brady's revenge tour". I mean, seriously. Your team has nothing left to prove. Your team would be playing this good even if there wasn't "revenge" or any of this victim stuff that you're playing. And most of the fanbase feels entitled to another Super Bowl this year. What are the fans going to do if they're knocked out of the playoffs? Sometime down the future, how are they going to handle the Patriots returning to mediocrity? This is something IMO that the bulk of their fans are not prepared for, because they've got to grow up watching their team in contention every year.

IMO I don't think winning constantly makes you a hated franchise. Sometimes it can be a simple matter of how the fanbase handles the winning. It could even be the players or the shady things that the team does.

With the Cowboys, it's not so much their fans. It's more of ESPN being a mouthpiece for Dallas and shoving them down your throat every week. It's the media calling them "America's Team" when the entire country hates that franchise. It's the media pretending that it's still the Cowboys dynasty of the 90s and that's how they should still be treated and covered today. It's having to see Jerry Jones' reaction to every. Single. Positive. Cowboys. Play. I mean, what other owner do they do that with? No one.

Try living in Massachusetts. Patriots fans around here haven't been so bad recently, but going into this season, they're just awful. It's worse than 2007 at this point. And I think going 18-1 subdued them for a while, and made living around them more tolerable. It's bad when the local news stations here are calling this season "Brady's revenge tour". I mean, seriously. Your team has nothing left to prove. Your team would be playing this good even if there wasn't "revenge" or any of this victim stuff that you're playing. And most of the fanbase feels entitled to another Super Bowl this year. What are the fans going to do if they're knocked out of the playoffs? Sometime down the future, how are they going to handle the Patriots returning to mediocrity? This is something IMO that the bulk of their fans are not prepared for, because they've got to grow up watching their team in contention every year.

To the bolded - you are exactly right. There is nothing left to prove IMO anyways BUT given the past 8 months of the media absolutely lambasting the team after their 4th ring, I am sure you can see why there are those that are hoping the Pats go scorched earth for the next 11 games and into the post-season. That is a natural reaction when your integrity and character is question as a franchise after capping a historic run with a 4th ring with a chance to add more.

And I would disagree that the majority of fans are not prepared for when this era ends. I think for those of us who are over age 35, we acutely understand the greatness we have witnessed, the historical run, the record, etc. It will be very hard to ever duplicate so you enjoy it as much as possible for as long as possible. I never thought any of this would be possible in my lifetime, much less happen during the prime of my life.

that's how I am I can't stand those 2 teams either always want them to lose

I have no experience with their fans face to face.

But I had a real bad experience at a Steelers game.  Ran into some super scary fans there.

Now I prejudge the whole team  :dunno:

To the bolded - you are exactly right. There is nothing left to prove IMO anyways BUT given the past 8 months of the media absolutely lambasting the team after their 4th ring, I am sure you can see why there are those that are hoping the Pats go scorched earth for the next 11 games and into the post-season. That is a natural reaction when your integrity and character is question as a franchise after capping a historic run with a 4th ring with a chance to add more.

And I would disagree that the majority of fans are not prepared for when this era ends. I think for those of us who are over age 35, we acutely understand the greatness we have witnessed, the historical run, the record, etc. It will be very hard to ever duplicate so you enjoy it as much as possible for as long as possible. I never thought any of this would be possible in my lifetime, much less happen during the prime of my life.

Even within the past 15 years, what's the worst season the Patriots had had? 10-6 seasons? Even in their "worst" seasons (2005 and 2009) the Patriots were still a threat to go back to the Super Bowl, but they actually looked more human in those seasons. Even if you extend it back 20 years, the Patriots still had a couple of playoff appearances and a Super Bowl appearance.

I remember during the 2005 season that every Patriots loss was a complete and utter shock on the Boston media here. And then when the Jake Plummer-led Broncos knocked them out of the playoffs, it was as if Patriots fans were walking into near freezing water that they expected to be nice and toasty. Even in the weeks after the loss some news anchors were still complaining about the loss, "The Patriots should be the team here blablablablabla'

Even within the past 15 years, what's the worst season the Patriots had had? 10-6 seasons? Even in their "worst" seasons (2005 and 2009) the Patriots were still a threat to go back to the Super Bowl, but they actually looked more human in those seasons. Even if you extend it back 20 years, the Patriots still had a couple of playoff appearances and a Super Bowl appearance.

Yeah, it has been quite the run. We had the SB with Bledsoe in 1996. The Pete Carroll years were awful as we saw the team just disintegrate before our eyes in 3 years. Thank goodness Kraft make the deal for Bill and then Bill drafted Brady. I get how opposing fanbases can find us obnoxious at times but I truly believe other fanbases would be the same with this much success. I mean there are always tools in the shed you have to look by and we have our fair share of those but most of understand how truly blessed we have been.

Yeah, it has been quite the run. We had the SB with Bledsoe in 1996. The Pete Carroll years were awful as we saw the team just disintegrate before our eyes in 3 years. Thank goodness Kraft make the deal for Bill and then Bill drafted Brady. I get how opposing fanbases can find us obnoxious at times but I truly believe other fanbases would be the same with this much success. I mean there are always tools in the shed you have to look by and we have our fair share of those but most of understand how truly blessed we have been.

I mean, I don't want to hate the bulk of Patriots fans. I honestly don't. When I go to Bills/Patriots games in Foxboro I find a way to have fun, even though I know my team has next to no chance at winning. Sometimes the Patriots fans I sit around can be quite funny and listening to them is more entertaining than watching the game.

But I had a real bad experience at a Steelers game.  Ran into some super scary fans there.

Now I prejudge the whole team  :dunno:

Yeah bad experiences can always change anyone's judgement. I would never go to a game in NE, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh wearing a Luck or Manning jersey and get rowdy when Indy made a great play unless I was with a group of about 10 people or so. There are too many crazy people out there to even mess with that. Then again I didn't think like that when I was in my 20's but now that I am in my 40's I wouldn't go to those type of games on the road. Just too old to mess around with idiocy. Chat wise my worse experience was with Dolphins fans though during our 2012 game but that is different compared to going to a game.

But I had a real bad experience at a Steelers game. Ran into some super scary fans there.

Now I prejudge the whole team :dunno:

Steelers fans are terrible. They make sure to shove those 5 rings in peoples faces constantly. Almost as bad as cowboys fans