Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are All These "experts" Who Say Andrew Luck Is The Next Great Thing The Same Guys Who Said Cam Newton Would Be A Complete Bust?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kalil, as I have repeatedly said. Rebuild the team from the inside out by continuing the long overdue work that was done this year on the lines. Develop a running game and try for another playoff run with Manning. Finally we could build a line with the best prospects available rather than a bunch of leftovers.

We already have a LT and a RT why would we draft Kalil he doesnt play Guard. And why does everyone want instant success no matter what the colts do they wont have success soon. And why would you pass on Luck who is compared to Elway coming out of college. If we pass on Luck he would kick the Colts buts every year.

Regardless of what everyone says u make a valid argument, the same "experts" that predicted cam was a bust is predicting Luck is HOF QB right now. Point taken I get it. These people are to blinded by the media(espn) to see that we already have a HOF QB on our team. I heard Rob on first take today say if u pass on Luck and Peyton gets hurt u just ruined the franchise, no we will just trade up next year and get the next QB these "experts" proclaim to be great But since everyone keeps throwing out the best "prospect" since Elway(which he had a horrible rookie season), I figured I'd give u the definition of it, It's the possibility or likelihood of a future event occurring. So I'll put it to u like this let's say u won a million dollars and I say hey u know youll have the best prospect out of everyone if u put in the whole million. R u going to? No!!!!! Face it guys everything is chance hit or miss. But this can't be argued, let's say we trade Peyton(altho if this happens he'll be cut to save 28 mil bonus) and we take luck and the so called "experts" were wrong and he's only a mediocre QB at best, 6-10 7-9 8-8 5-11, we are forced to stick with him for atleast his first contract(4-5yrs) and now we cant suck enough to get another good pick, and well since he's a once in a generation prospect we'll have to wait another 20 years to get another chance at a great "prospect". If we show loyalty to Peyton and he sticks around after he retires has a colt, and becomes the OC/QB coach, were set for, well however Peyton sticks around for. The knowledge he could pass on would make tebow a great QB, ok that may be an overstatement but u get my point. I think everybody agrees he will be a great coach one day(he is now) and if we turn our backs on him, it could cost this org for years and years to come.

Regardless of what everyone says u make a valid argument, the same "experts" that predicted cam was a bust is predicting Luck is HOF QB right now. Point taken I get it. These people are to blinded by the media(espn) to see that we already have a HOF QB on our team. I heard Rob on first take today say if u pass on Luck and Peyton gets hurt u just ruined the franchise, no we will just trade up next year and get the next QB these "experts" proclaim to be great But since everyone keeps throwing out the best "prospect" since Elway(which he had a horrible rookie season), I figured I'd give u the definition of it, It's the possibility or likelihood of a future event occurring. So I'll put it to u like this let's say u won a million dollars and I say hey u know youll have the best prospect out of everyone if u put in the whole million. R u going to? No!!!!! Face it guys everything is chance hit or miss. But this can't be argued, let's say we trade Peyton(altho if this happens he'll be cut to save 28 mil bonus) and we take luck and the so called "experts" were wrong and he's only a mediocre QB at best, 6-10 7-9 8-8 5-11, we are forced to stick with him for atleast his first contract(4-5yrs) and now we cant suck enough to get another good pick, and well since he's a once in a generation prospect we'll have to wait another 20 years to get another chance at a great "prospect". If we show loyalty to Peyton and he sticks around after he retires has a colt, and becomes the OC/QB coach, were set for, well however Peyton sticks around for. The knowledge he could pass on would make tebow a great QB, ok that may be an overstatement but u get my point. I think everybody agrees he will be a great coach one day(he is now) and if we turn our backs on him, it could cost this org for years and years to come.

Because the greatest players always seem to make the best coaches :hmm:

Kalil, as I have repeatedly said. Rebuild the team from the inside out by continuing the long overdue work that was done this year on the lines. Develop a running game and try for another playoff run with Manning. Finally we could build a line with the best prospects available rather than a bunch of leftovers.

you do know we drafted two o-linemen last year we dont need a third

Kalil is an anchor in run & Pass, Cast has played RT in senior Bowl, move Ijalana as OG inside, keep Sat for 1 year then draft his replacement, not sure who is other OG this year,

but yes I may be in minority but would rather get many great pieces right now and trading # 1 pick will allow that no matter what positions we prioritize , Biulding the trenches is 1 way, if Kalil gone maybe start with Claiborene ( SP ) and have a true CB, all depends who u trade with, if get lower ddraft pick take Devon Still and anchor middle of DL

nope, but he would make it less likely that he would go down. When Manning comes back can Luck play DT for 3 years?

DT isn't why we won 2 games. If we had a qb we would of won at least 8. This league is about passing plain and simple. If u don't have a qb ur not going anywhere. We have a chance to get the best prospect in 20 years.

Because the greatest players always seem to make the best coaches :hmm:

What ur kiddin...he's the best coach we have one our team, have u seen what he's done with group of mediocre WRs(except Wayne), I'd argue he's the best WRs coach in the league. Think what he could do coaching his own position. That'ds of course when his playing days are over.

DT isn't why we won 2 games. If we had a qb we would of won at least 8. This league is about passing plain and simple. If u don't have a qb ur not going anywhere. We have a chance to get the best prospect in 20 years.

And a 8 win season is suffice, we were 10-6 with Peyton and the same team and he threw for 4700 yards and 33 TDs , not to mention he attempted 600+ passes. To even hint that luck could come in and duplicate that is absurd, to even think he could come in and develop under them conditions without a vet QB for a mentor is far fetched. 600+ attempts means 2 things, 1 defense couldn't keep the opposing offense on the field long enough for our offense to get a rest, and 2 the run game was nonexistent. Our Running backs arnt that bad are they?

And a 8 win season is suffice, we were 10-6 with Peyton and the same team and he threw for 4700 yards and 33 TDs , not to mention he attempted 600+ passes. To even hint that luck could come in and duplicate that is absurd, to even think he could come in and develop under them conditions without a vet QB for a mentor is far fetched. 600+ attempts means 2 things, 1 defense couldn't keep the opposing offense on the field long enough for our offense to get a rest, and 2 the run game was nonexistent. Our Running backs arnt that bad are they?

It's not far fetched at all. Did you watch football this year besides colts games. Rookie qb's did pretty well this year. Not to mention PM is coming off an injury and he stated real slow last he came off an injury plus he's aging.

"to even think he could come in and develop under them conditions"

What r u talking about?

Also 8-8 this year under these conditions with everybody on IR would of been acceptable I think. Polian even admitted he planned poorly for mannings absence

What's the most important position in the nfl?

OL, DT, WR????

And to add to the manning coming off an injury/getting older since 2007 his INT have been increasing, his comp % has been going down, and his rating has been going down.But On the flip side last year he threw for the most yards in his career if I remember correctly, last year he threw over 650+ times. He is still playing really well not saying he can't play so don't twist my words im just saying his stats have been declining along with our overall win loss record. He could come back next year throw for 5000 yards 40 plus td but he also might decline

And to add to the manning coming off an injury/getting older since 2007 his INT have been increasing, his comp % has been going down, and his rating has been going down.But On the flip side last year he threw for the most yards in his career if I remember correctly, last year he threw over 650+ times. He is still playing really well not saying he can't play so don't twist my words im just saying his stats have been declining along with our overall win loss record. He could come back next year throw for 5000 yards 40 plus td but he also might decline

Look who he has been throwing too, and the quality of the line. The Colts also aren't a dink and dunk offense. What I am getting at is stats don't always tell the whole story.

Look who he has been throwing too, and the quality of the line. The Colts also aren't a dink and dunk offense. What I am getting at is stats don't always tell the whole story.

Stats and wins tell the story when you look at them together.

If you think Luck or any rookie QB could come in here with this team, and have success, then you sir are being somewhat niave..

I never said that. But what's ur def of success? Nobody knows maybe luck or rg3 could come in here and have success. They both can run and manning isn't mobile. So maybe one of them would be able to extend plays and survive behind this oline. Maybe they would come in here and be horrible. We will know eventually

I never said that. But what's ur def of success? Nobody knows maybe luck or rg3 could come in here and have success. They both can run and manning isn't mobile. So maybe one of them would be able to extend plays and survive behind this oline. Maybe they would come in here and be horrible. We will know eventually

Well the ultimate form of success is Super Bowls, but in this case, with this team, I would consider division title and or a trip to the playoffs a success. I think Luck would make the Colts a 4 win team at best. Although RGIII is more raw, with his freakish athleticism he would probably be somewhere around 3-4 wins. Neither are a good option in the immediate future obviously. This team isn't anywhere near as good as Cincy, not even as good as Carolina. And then if they go with Luck, you are talking about a major strip down. It will be rebuild mode for 4-5 years with Luck. And it could be sit, wait, and learn mode for RGIII (In a trade down scenario).

Well the ultimate form of success is Super Bowls, but in this case, with this team, I would consider division title and or a trip to the playoffs a success. I think Luck would make the Colts a 4 win team at best. Although RGIII is more raw, with his freakish athleticism he would probably be somewhere around 3-4 wins. Neither are a good option in the immediate future obviously. This team isn't anywhere near as good as Cincy, not even as good as Carolina. And then if they go with Luck, you are talking about a major strip down. It will be rebuild mode for 4-5 years with Luck. And it could be sit, wait, and learn mode for RGIII (In a trade down scenario).

Manning isnt going to win super bowls with this team in 2-3 years. So why not go in rebuild mode get luck use ur 2nd rounder which is like a normal first round pick for us and get other good role players.

Honestly there is no right or wrong answer. Everybody has there opinions on what we should do. I see ur point if view and respect that but I think with a new gm prob new coach we should just get luck go into rebuild mode. Then in a couple years after we have had some good draft positions we wil be contenders again

Manning isnt going to win super bowls with this team in 2-3 years. So why not go in rebuild mode get luck use ur 2nd rounder which is like a normal first round pick for us and get other good role players.

Honestly there is no right or wrong answer. Everybody has there opinions on what we should do. I see ur point if view and respect that but I think with a new gm prob new coach we should just get luck go into rebuild mode. Then in a couple years after we have had some good draft positions we wil be contenders again

That could very well be the direction the Colts end up going (rebuild with Luck). I don't see why if the Colts did a trade down, and acquired an additional set of draft picks (2-4 extra picks this year) why they wouldn't be Super Bowl contenders. They are only 2 years removed, have some decent young pieces in Nevis, Castonzo, and hopefully Ijalana even if he plays Guard. With that being said adding 10 players through the draft would certainly help the team, not to mention who they might get player wise in the trade, or even through free agency.

That could very well be the direction the Colts end up going (rebuild with Luck). I don't see why if the Colts did a trade down, and acquired an additional set of draft picks (2-4 extra picks this year) why they wouldn't be Super Bowl contenders. They are only 2 years removed, have some decent young pieces in Nevis, Castonzo, and hopefully Ijalana even if he plays Guard. With that being said adding 10 players through the draft would certainly help the team, not to mention who they might get player wise in the trade, or even through free agency.

Just because u pick up a bunch of rookies in draft doesn't mean the same year ur automatically contenders. They could be bust. But they could also we great players and help improve. I see your poin just think its a better idea to rebuild with luck.

It's not far fetched at all. Did you watch football this year besides colts games. Rookie qb's did pretty well this year. Not to mention PM is coming off an injury and he stated real slow last he came off an injury plus he's aging.

"to even think he could come in and develop under them conditions"

What r u talking about?

Also 8-8 this year under these conditions with everybody on IR would of been acceptable I think. Polian even admitted he planned poorly for mannings absence

What's the most important position in the nfl?

OL, DT, WR????

bro....to even insinuate that the previous 10-6 record was was even partially Peyton faults is an insult. Even with his 17 int, he did everything anybody could ask for, he completed over 500 passes!!!! What... that's rediculous. u could make the argument he'd had to do to much, hence the 17 ints.

What rookie QB u mean Dalton with the 7th ranked defensive in the league, an above average pass blocking o-line with a down hill running back, and a throw it up and get it or out run you, beast at WR. Not to mention a lot of thee "experts" were were high on him too, said he was most NFL ready QB in draft. he only drop to 2nd rd. Cause they question his arm strength.

Cam....come on now defenses didn't kno if he was gonna run it or throw it, caught most of them, and the experts off guard. Dudes a DE who can throw the ball, what did u think was gonna happen. Bigger better(passer) Vick. But no line, no defense, no sucsess...

Blain gabbert was also high on the experts list, some said take him over Cam. Poor team poor results, let's see how long he can take it before he folds. Bad team(condition)+all pressure on you= low moral and eventually failure.

No one else really....that kind of proved my point, it's a team effort, ask Denver

But u keep arguing the same point hes aging and got hurt. All the time every time, and best QB prospect in 20 years. I've been at you with this before u kno how I feel go look the rule book about the NFL passer and learn something for crying out loud, instead of rambling on with your oh so obvious biased opinion, imo.

8-8 I don't think so, we've been in that situation many of times and it never stopped a double digit win total. Sounds like ur not even a fan bro, must be a new England fan in disguise.

But u are right in one way QB IMO too is the most important player, but if u just have a QB who u gonna throw too, better they surely won't let him play both ways. Sounds like we need a team, not a prospect QB, for a position we already have locked down.

Keep in mind if he's healthy.

bro....to even insinuate that the previous 10-6 record was was even partially Peyton faults is an insult. Even with his 17 int, he did everything anybody could ask for, he completed over 500 passes!!!! What... that's rediculous. u could make the argument he'd had to do to much, hence the 17 ints.

What rookie QB u mean Dalton with the 7th ranked defensive in the league, an above average pass blocking o-line with a down hill running back, and a throw it up and get it or out run you, beast at WR. Not to mention a lot of thee "experts" were were high on him too, said he was most NFL ready QB in draft. he only drop to 2nd rd. Cause they question his arm strength.

Cam....come on now defenses didn't kno if he was gonna run it or throw it, caught most of them, and the experts off guard. Dudes a DE who can throw the ball, what did u think was gonna happen. Bigger better(passer) Vick. But no line, no defense, no sucsess...

Blain gabbert was also high on the experts list, some said take him over Cam. Poor team poor results, let's see how long he can take it before he folds. Bad team(condition)+all pressure on you= low moral and eventually failure.

No one else really....that kind of proved my point, it's a team effort, ask Denver

But u keep arguing the same point hes aging and got hurt. All the time every time, and best QB prospect in 20 years. I've been at you with this before u kno how I feel go look the rule book about the NFL passer and learn something for crying out loud, instead of rambling on with your oh so obvious biased opinion, imo.

8-8 I don't think so, we've been in that situation many of times and it never stopped a double digit win total. Sounds like ur not even a fan bro, must be a new England fan in disguise.

But u are right in one way QB IMO too is the most important player, but if u just have a QB who u gonna throw too, better they surely won't let him play both ways. Sounds like we need a team, not a prospect QB, for a position we already have locked down.

Trade the Pick.. Trade the Pick... 4 more Years..4 more Years!

name me one backup that worth picking up? you think other teams wont try to out bid us for matt flynn? you think RG3 is worth taking number 1 overall over andrew luck or taking another qb in the later rounds will be better then luck?

Jason Campbell will probably be available. :P

What r u talking about lol

Prob the most rambling no sense post. A new England fan???(I'm a colts fan u sound like a manning fan) Learn something for crying out loud? I keep saying aging qb coming off injury? (that's a factor believe it or not u may need to learn something for cryying out loud) and you can't deny what the rookie qbs did this year I don't care what the experts said last year. you r like a lot of people on here with the twisting of words questioning fan hood cause I'm not just a manning fan and am concerned that he may decline. I also said he may not do "BRO" read my whole post don't pick and chose what to hear. You have been on the forum a day and r calling people pats fans and not colts. U don't even know me

What r u talking about lol

Prob the most rambling no sense post. A new England fan???(I'm a colts fan u sound like a manning fan) Learn something for crying out loud? I keep saying aging qb coming off injury? (that's a factor believe it or not u may need to learn something for cryying out loud) and you can't deny what the rookie qbs did this year I don't care what the experts said last year. you r like a lot of people on here with the twisting of words questioning fan hood cause I'm not just a manning fan and am concerned that he may decline. I also said he may not do "BRO" read my whole post don't pick and chose what to hear. You have been on the forum a day and r calling people pats fans and not colts. U don't even know me

I've don't nothing but state facts, with the exceptions of my expressed opinion about your views. Which u do keep posting the same thing, old, hurt, top prospect. I've continued to say if he's healthy is what they should base their decision on, if he's not then I believe either option(trade the pick, draft Luck) is a win for our org. What gets me is how you people could turn your backs(so fast) on imo, the best QB of all time, the guy has done nothing but great for us, he deserves much better. It's not even close to the situation with what Brett Frave put the packs through, he's been professional for us shouldn't we do the same for him, do u think if Peyton couldn't play he let us pass on the opportunity of getting Luck. No, the guy screams integrity, shouldnt we show loyalty?

Just answer me this, yes it's hypothetical, but if u knew peyton could give us 4-5 years, at the least, of greatness(not playing time, experts said frave this year would have been a top 10 QB) would u still take luck?

Why were we 2-14. The main reason

Because Polian built the team horribly wrong by focusing everything on one exceptional player rather than building it around a solid foundation which could absorb the loss of any player on the team.

I submit the Colts as Exhibit A that "quarterback driven league" is a complete myth. The Colts have had the best quarterback in the league for over a decade and have only one championship and 7 one and dones. The reason they flame out in the playoffs over and over again is because they do not control the line of scrimmage.

You let me dominate the line of scrimmage on offense and defense, you can have any quarterback you can think of, and I will like my chances.

You let me dominate the line of scrimmage on offense and defense, you can have any quarterback you can think of, and I will like my chances.

Not always. Big Ben last year had a banged up oline but he could scramble to extend the play. It is a qb driven league. Patriots oline is banged up to but they use quick timing routes and YAC. If we would of had a better QB we would of won more games. The last like 7 super bowl winners have all had elite qbs. You need a great qb to win nowadays.By no means am I saying u don't need a good oline

This seems to be exactly the way the Vikings have been making decisions. Look at their lines over the past few years (especially on defense). They still haven't been great teams. The best they did was when they had great(-ish) quarterback play from Favre.

Has Cam completely proven himself, do you not remember Vince Young's rookie season? Those cocky QBs don't make it far, he needs to play well consistently over the next two years before I call him a good NFL QB.

Truth. It's been one year. 21 td 17 int 3 lost fumbles. He has all the potential in the world and I didn't think he would do as good as he has but early to say he was worthy of pick.

Round One (4)- Justin Blackmon WR

Round One (25)- Mark Barron SS

Round Two (33)- Whitney Mercilus DE

Round Two (38)- Brandon Thompson NT

Round Three- Best Available WLB (Zach Brown, Lavonte David, Sean Spence)

Round Four- Amini Silatolu G

Round Five- Leonard Johnson CB

Round Five (Compensatory)- Joe Adams WR

Round Six- Marcus Zusevkis G/T

Round Seven- Case Keenum QB

...and if we don't win the Super Bowl in Manning's last 4 years, are we supposed to build around Keenum or did you draft him just as a backup? If backup, then when do we get our next franchise QB? Oh, wait...that's right....we just passed him up 4 years ago.

Has Cam completely proven himself, do you not remember Vince Young's rookie season? Those cocky QBs don't make it far, he needs to play well consistently over the next two years before I call him a good NFL QB.

dude, don't try and take credit from Cam. If that was Luck with those stats you'd be ranting and raving over how well he did. Also, Vince young was a head case (can you blame him) whose coach didn't want him since draft day.

...and if we don't win the Super Bowl in Manning's last 4 years, are we supposed to build around Keenum or did you draft him just as a backup? If backup, then when do we get our next franchise QB? Oh, wait...that's right....we just passed him up 4 years ago.

no u use your 2 first rounders next year(2013) to trade up an get Barkley from USC. Thats if they find out Peyton isn't who they thought he was, if he does play well they could always trade that 1st round pick in 2013 for for a 1st round pick in 2014 and have 2 1st round picks in that draft.

name me one backup that worth picking up? you think other teams wont try to out bid us for matt flynn? you think RG3 is worth taking number 1 overall over andrew luck or taking another qb in the later rounds will be better then luck?

There could be plenty of back ups in a few weeks. Besides, Dan Orlovsky proved himself a capable back up, given the circumstances. Also, I would bet my house that another QB taken in this draft will end up better than Luck. Simply because QB's can come from anywhere: Brady, Brees, Montana, Young (who was a supplemental draftee), Favre, more recently Dalton.... There are a lot of QB's who end up better than the 1st overall pick, and in every instance, those QB's were not nearly as hyped as the QB who did go off the board first.

Our DT's were injured, so of course they didn't help. Apparently our GM didn't let our DC do what he wanted to either. Proven NFL QB's wouldn't have come in and get more than 5-6 wins with this team. If QB's mean everything, why do the Ravens always get into the playoffs? Why do the Steelers get by with a QB that averages 3 INT's per playoff game? How is it that St. Louis only won two games with Bradford after his fantastic rookie season? How did Tim Tebow, and anybody from Oakland manage to have the same record as Philip Rivers in San Diego?

The game is pass-heavy, but systems lend themselves better than QB's right now. We have watched two different back up QB's play in place of Rodgers the last two seasons, and both have been close (at New England last year), or put on a performance better than Rodgers himself ever has (last game against Detroit this year). We witnessed as Cassel won 11 games in New England, and got better as the season wore on. Peyton Manning is, and has always been, the only exception to this rule. That's what makes him unique. He wins against impossible odds; he makes something from nothing.

If Luck doesn't have an amazing system and/or talent around him, he will be as mediocre as the rest of them. Also, he's not the "best" prospect in 20 years; he's just got the most media around him. He wasn't even the best player in college football this year (no, I'm not talking about the Heisman). The sheer volume of publicity outlets available to him only perpetuates that. He's going to be viewed as a colossal failure when, as is likely, he doesn't live up to this hype.

There could be plenty of back ups in a few weeks. Besides, Dan Orlovsky proved himself a capable back up, given the circumstances. Also, I would bet my house that another QB taken in this draft will end up better than Luck. Simply because QB's can come from anywhere: Brady, Brees, Montana, Young (who was a supplemental draftee), Favre, more recently Dalton.... There are a lot of QB's who end up better than the 1st overall pick, and in every instance, those QB's were not nearly as hyped as the QB who did go off the board first.

Our DT's were injured, so of course they didn't help. Apparently our GM didn't let our DC do what he wanted to either. Proven NFL QB's wouldn't have come in and get more than 5-6 wins with this team. If QB's mean everything, why do the Ravens always get into the playoffs? Why do the Steelers get by with a QB that averages 3 INT's per playoff game? How is it that St. Louis only won two games with Bradford after his fantastic rookie season? How did Tim Tebow, and anybody from Oakland manage to have the same record as Philip Rivers in San Diego?

The game is pass-heavy, but systems lend themselves better than QB's right now. We have watched two different back up QB's play in place of Rodgers the last two seasons, and both have been close (at New England last year), or put on a performance better than Rodgers himself ever has (last game against Detroit this year). We witnessed as Cassel won 11 games in New England, and got better as the season wore on. Peyton Manning is, and has always been, the only exception to this rule. That's what makes him unique. He wins against impossible odds; he makes something from nothing.

If Luck doesn't have an amazing system and/or talent around him, he will be as mediocre as the rest of them. Also, he's not the "best" prospect in 20 years; he's just got the most media around him. He wasn't even the best player in college football this year (no, I'm not talking about the Heisman). The sheer volume of publicity outlets available to him only perpetuates that. He's going to be viewed as a colossal failure when, as is likely, he doesn't live up to this hype.

Right you are sir, I imagine no one will be responding to this post.

Will said. Kudos to you.

I Will be liking this post right.....now