Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Luck Be calling Plays?

Gyan Rrigson

Is it possible that Luck is assisting with calling plays, etc from the sidelines? His football (and general IQ for that matter) seems high, so it seems strange to me that he is having trouble reading defenses, as some people suggest. Regardless, I am excited to see the offense fully gel with Luck at the helm.

I think it's more likely he's telling Matt what he sees out there and what he thinks will work in situations or is telling him things to look for to take advantage of.

Yeah, I could see that too. I know Matt is a class act, and says the right things, but he said post game that Andrew luck is more like his mentor, lol. He said he has learned a lot from him, so wondering if him on the sidelines telling Matt what he is seeing could be more likely. Not sure, but thought about it as an alternative to these people saying MH is better than Luck, etc.

Yeah while Luck is a very good QB and a great playmaker. He has very much shown he is still learning to read defenses and learning not to force certain things, His football IQ while higher then your average QB coming out is still overblown a bit I think. Also while I think Pep certainly adjusted some of the play calling I think Hasselbeck is just the more decisive QB at this stage because  he has been around so long he has seen all kinds of defensive looks, That's helped him get rid of the ball quicker and more decisively

Hasselbeck has seen everything 15 times...

I'm sure that Luck is offering up any reads that he sees and he is definitely bright enough to catch some things that MH or Pep didn't notice.

However, I highly doubt he's calling any plays from the sidelines (assuming that's what you meant) for Pep or MH.

I don't doubt that the older player has picked some good things up from the young prodigy, but that would be the exception to the general rule that the wisdom lies with the experience. Andrew is getting way more usable data from Hasselbeck than the inverse.

Pep called a beautiful game on Thursday. Keeping MH (a less mobile QB) from being sacked against Watt and that front 7 was very much a product of scheme. Hasselbeck played smart. I really hope that Luck was paying close attention because, despite his elite talent, Luck struggles with the very things that MH did nearly flawlessly in that game. Namely, sticking to the plan and staying "within the play" as opposed to trying to do too much with improvisation and sheer force of will.

I think that most young, amazingly talented QBs go through this same type of thing and that Luck will be fine, but I do think that there is still a bunch that he can learn from an old guy like MH.

Hasselbeck has seen everything 15 times...

I'm sure that Luck is offering up any reads that he sees and he is definitely bright enough to catch some things that MH or Pep didn't notice.

However, I highly doubt he's calling any plays from the sidelines (assuming that's what you meant) for Pep or MH.

I don't doubt that the older player has picked some good things up from the young prodigy, but that would be the exception to the general rule that the wisdom lies with the experience. Andrew is getting way more usable data from Hasselbeck than the inverse.

Pep called a beautiful game on Thursday. Keeping MH (a less mobile QB) from being sacked against Watt and that front 7 was very much a product of scheme. Hasselbeck played smart. I really hope that Luck was paying close attention because, despite his elite talent, Luck struggles with the very things that MH did nearly flawlessly in that game. Namely, sticking to the plan and staying "within the play" as opposed to trying to do too much with improvisation and sheer force of will.

I think that most young, amazingly talented QBs go through this same type of thing and that Luck will be fine, but I do think that there is still a bunch that he can learn from an old guy like MH.

On...the...money.

Yeah while Luck is a very good QB and a great playmaker. He has very much shown he is still learning to read defenses and learning not to force certain things, His football IQ while higher then your average QB coming out is still overblown a bit I think. Also while I think Pep certainly adjusted some of the play calling I think Hasselbeck is just the more decisive QB at this stage because  he has been around so long he has seen all kinds of defensive looks, That's helped him get rid of the ball quicker and more decisively

Here's what I hope happened on Thursday night:  Luck watched how Hasselbeck got things done.  Luck trusts Pep as he mentored him and coached him through college.  Maybe Luck starts thinking for himself more, if it was true that Hasselbeck altered Pep's calls to fit the defensive setup. Going forward, we may see shorter passes instead of trying to sling it down the field, AJ more involved in the game, more use of TE's, and Luck becoming more of a defense-reader and game manager as Peyton is.

I am curious about Andre.  It seemed like he was more open than usual and it seemed like Matt was putting the ball right in his hands.  I'm not sure if he got separation the previous games, but I have noticed that Luck's passes to him seem to be behind him or over his head.  They just don't have great chemistry at this point.  We really need Andre to be a weapon for Luck going forward even if it's just a few big plays a game.

Is it possible that Luck is assisting with calling plays, etc from the sidelines? His football (and general IQ for that matter) seems high, so it seems strange to me that he is having trouble reading defenses, as some people suggest. Regardless, I am excited to see the offense fully gel with Luck at the helm.

Luck is talented but still has a lot too learn.  We are seeing why we have Matt and the benefit of veteran experience.  Luck is more talented sure but he can still learn alot from Matt.  Luck helps Matt and Matt helps Luck in different ways.  I doubt Luck is calling plays though.  Pep is making the calls and we see what can happen when a QB (Matt) gets in there and plays efficiently, makes good decisions, minimizes turnovers and doesn't try to do too much.  Luck doesn't have to carry this team...Colts have shown they can win without him.  He just needs to play good, smart football, protect the ball and make the big plays when its time to make the big plays.

Yip!

And Andrew Luvs the Longball! From day1.

No, it's not possible.

If Luck was calling plays, every play would have been a 7-step drop with Hass throwing the ball 30+ yards downfield.

Do you think that is Luck or pep running those plays? I couldn't imagine Luck switching the play at the line to that over and over, but I could be wrong. Even if it was him pep should step in and tell him what he needs to run. I'm no expert, but steadily learning, thus why I am asking the questions. Thanks everyone for your input.