Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone else disappointed in newsome?

CR91

He made a nice open field tackle on Foster which is improvement as I have seen him miss several tackles in the past on RBs. He seemed to hold his edge better this game then he has in the past. The pass rush from him wasn't up to par, but it is still early hopefully he keeps developing with playing time.

I am very impressed with the rookie d-line. I think it may be best to just cut A. Jones and move on.. Maybe with that money bring in a another veteran pass rusher in the off season.. Similar to what we did with Trent Cole, but someone who has actually had success in the 3-4 defense. 

I'm trying to remember being up enough of on teams that they were essentially forced to pass.  At this point, our pass rush has been sub standard.  Our run D has improved.  Is what it is I guess.  If we can get a substantial lead on someone, I would like to think we'd accumulate some sacks.  As it is right now, the only times we get there is when the QB is holding the ball too long.

The scary thing is that next year we will be without Walden, Werner (not really a loss), and possibly Mathis. Leaving only Newsome and Cole at OLB.

I don't think Grigson needs to go to FA for a pass rusher. One of his problems has been that he dips in FA too much and most of his signings don't work out. The draft is the way to go

The scary thing is that next year we will be without Walden, Werner (not really a loss), and possibly Mathis. Leaving only Newsome and Cole at OLB.

I don't think Grigson needs to go to FA for a pass rusher. One of his problems has been that he dips in FA too much and most of his signings don't work out. The draft is the way to go

We don't have to be without ANY of the players you listed.    Not one.

-- Walden has one more year on his contract.     No need to cut him.

-- Werner has one more year on his contract.     No need to cut him.

-- Mathis has one (maybe two) more years on his contract.      No need to cut him.

If we have a linebacker shortage next year,  it's because we created one.

I'm curious as to what those who do extensive film review have to say about him.  I know Dustin wasn't very impressed by his play last year, despite his good sack total.  I don't re-watch games or film, so I can't say what's wrong, but there were those who claimed he wasn't that good last year

We don't have to be without ANY of the players you listed. Not one.

-- Walden has one more year on his contract. No need to cut him.

-- Werner has one more year on his contract. No need to cut him.

-- Mathis has one (maybe two) more years on his contract. No need to cut him.

If we have a linebacker shortage next year, it's because we created one.

Mathis is only extended until 2016, not through it if I'm not mistaken.

Werner should be cut, and probably will if they can't trade him. Not worth a roster spot.

I thought Walden's contract expired as well but perhaps I'm wrong.

But either way you can't keep all these guys with Luck's upcoming contract.

The only thing Im disappointed about Newsome with is his run contain, He has not been disciplined overall in it. If he was disciplined against it he could see the field more and get more chances to rush the passer as a result and he probably would have had a sack or 2 by now as a result by now

Mathis is only extended until 2016, not through it if I'm not mistaken.

Werner should be cut, and probably will if they can't trade him. Not worth a roster spot.

I thought Walden's contract expired as well but perhaps I'm wrong.

But either way you can't keep all these guys with Luck's upcoming contract.

You're clearly NOT READING the posts written by Superman.

Not only CAN WE KEEP ALL THESE GUYS,  we do do so EASILY!

Seriously.

If Mathis has one more year,  then we can keep him.

Working as a strongside backer,  we can keep Werner.    He's worth a roster spot.

Walden signed a 4-year deal in 2013, so he has one more year and he's our starter on the strongside.

Grigson and his team have done a masterful job with the salaries.    We're in great shape on contracts.     Really!

If we don't bring back these guys it's because of our choice,  not because of the cap.

5 games into the season and just havent seen that same promise he had his rookie year and a lot of times he hasnt been able to beat single blocks.

I don't think you have to focus on Newsome.

So far Cole has been a disappointment and we've gotten almost nothing from Mathis.

I'm not expecting that to remain this way through he rest of the season,  but we're getting very little from our pass rush.

The OLB who pressured Hoyer into the interception last night was.................   Walden.

So far Cole has been a disappointment and we've gotten almost nothing from Mathis.

I'm not expecting that to remain this way through he rest of the season, but we're getting very little from our pass rush.

The OLB who pressured Hoyer into the interception last night was................. Walden.

wrong idk if you've been watching but none of the OLB other than Mathis and walden have been getting pressure period..Mathis is on pitch count which is stupid..Werner and newsome are rushing the passer which is also stupid..Cole he's irrelevant he's good with the run better than the other two below him

Stupid penalty that almost cost us the Titans game + he has been a phantom of a pass rusher after a very solid preseason (which set up my high expectations for him).

It was a stupid penalty and he should know better, but aggressive players are going to get the occasional penalty like that.  I'll take the aggressiveness.  JJ Watt got one of those stupid penalties last night.

He was not brought in for his pass rush abilities, the fact that he does make some good plays in that area is just the "icing on the cake".  I have been happy with what Walden has brought to the team, I actually put him in Grigson's "good acquisition" category.

I'm not expecting that to remain this way through he rest of the season,  but we're getting very little from our pass rush.

The OLB who pressured Hoyer into the interception last night was.................   Walden.

And I bet Hoyer is really feeling it still today. It was a nice hit.