Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DQ is playing some great ball for us right now

RockThatBlue

He's had more then one decent game. He's been playing almost lights out since the bills game

Lights out is a bit of a stretch ... it does appear that he is playing a bit better this year so far ... still average.

he is a great tackler and a good run defender.  usually

I admit he does seem to make the tackle when he gets ahold of them, but he misses his share of tackles; and while run defense is the best part of his game I still don't think it is more than average.

DQ has played well in 4 out of 5 games, the only game where he played average was in the Bills game.

And DQ has been playing consistent ball since he came to the Colts.  it is one of the things that makes DQ a very good LB, he is consistently in the right place and he consistently makes the play when he has the opprortunity.

He is not a guy that will take over a game or make huge flashy plays but he is consistent.

I also disagree with the idea that he is a liability in coverage, he's not.  He is a liability trying to cover the more athletic TEs in the NFL man to man but he's not asked to do that very often.  In zone coverage he is very good and he's very good at covering the more traditional TEs.

Consistently average.  I will have to disagree with you about his coverage ability; I think he is definitely a liability in coverage whether it be covering TEs, crossing receivers, and especially if he gets matched against a wr on a more traditional route. (although admittedly even a lot of good LBs have trouble with the last one)

He's had more than one "decent" he's actually had alot of Great games if you include last year as well 

A lot of decent games is still average.  A lot of "great games" is a huge stretch  ... I must have missed those. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again I am not saying DQ is horrible, but let's be realistic he is just an average LB.  A game here and there where he makes some plays that stand out does not change this, and doesn't account for the games he under performed.  

If we are going to make big assumptions based on last nights game than Griff must be a very good kick returner .... hopefully we can all agree this is not the case ... DQ is still just average.  All I can think of is that as Colts fans we are so used to sub-par LB play that average has come to look good to many fans. 

Lights out is a bit of a stretch ... it does appear that he is playing a bit better this year so far ... still average.

I admit he does seem to make the tackle when he gets ahold of them, but he misses his share of tackles; and while run defense is the best part of his game I still don't think it is more than average.

Consistently average.  I will have to disagree with you about his coverage ability; I think he is definitely a liability in coverage whether it be covering TEs, crossing receivers, and especially if he gets matched against a wr on a more traditional route. (although admittedly even a lot of good LBs have trouble with the last one)

A lot of decent games is still average.  A lot of "great games" is a huge stretch  ... I must have missed those. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again I am not saying DQ is horrible, but let's be realistic he is just an average LB.  A game here and there where he makes some plays that stand out does not change this, and doesn't account for the games he under performed.  

If we are going to make big assumptions based on last nights game than Griff must be a very good kick returner .... hopefully we can all agree this is not the case ... DQ is still just average.  All I can think of is that as Colts fans we are so used to sub-par LB play that average has come to look good to many fans. 

It's hard to reply to each point but let's just suffice it to say, I think you are wrong on just about all counts when it comes to DQ.

He was and is a whipping boy for those who limited knowledge of the game.

I never understood why he took so much heat. He led the team in tackles and made the Pro Bowl last year, I'm not really sure what more you could want. My biggest knock on him was that he had trouble covering tight ends, but in reality, most linebackers aren't really that good at it. It just seemed that he got exposed as a mismatch so often that it was glaring.

It's hard to reply to each point but let's just suffice it to say, I think you are wrong on just about all counts when it comes to DQ.

I did look it up on PFF just now, so my opinion was not based on PFF and I know people are going to grumble about PFF. And while I don't think their conclusions are gospel I just wanted to see what they had to say .... PFF has him ranked this season overall 37 out of 50 for 3/4 ILB: -4.7 overall score - below average in every category except against the run where he barely makes average. In 2014 he was 46 of 60 and -10.8 overall score.  By their evaluation I guess he has technically improved, but is still not impressive.

Maybe my opinion will change at the end of the season when all is said and done ... but overall I see an average LB.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

I did look it up on PFF just now, so my opinion was not based on PFF and I know people are going to grumble about PFF. And while I don't think their conclusions are gospel I just wanted to see what they had to say .... PFF has him ranked this season overall 37 out of 50 for 3/4 ILB: -4.7 overall score - below average in every category except against the run where he barely makes average. In 2014 he was 46 of 60 and -10.8 overall score.  By their evaluation I guess he has technically improved, but is still not impressive.

Maybe my opinion will change at the end of the season when all is said and done ... but overall I see an average LB.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

I didn't think you opinion was based on PFF and I don't put much, if any stock in PFF grades, Their grades for defensive players are almost as bad as their grades for olineman but that is a different topic.

But I am curious, since you are talking about his consistency, what did PFF grade him for last year?

Let's be real here......DQ is a liability in coverage, but he has been playing out of his mind against the run the last few games. Hopefully he can keep that going. 

I thought Irving looked pretty good as well! 

I`ve been trying to understand the whole logic of playing Freeman because he is "good in coverage" but not so much as a run stopper? Hear it a lot here on the forum. IMO, I`d give up poor pass coverage any day as a ILB vs a run stopping "thumper". Make the WR`s and TE`s grow "alligator arms" for coming across the middle if they so choose.

He's been a consistent tackler and force since he's arrived in Indy, his only Knock is him being a liability in coverage, other than that he balls man. you gotta give credit where credit is due lol he has fifty something tackles right now the next leading tackler on the roster has about 20 something. That speaks volumes to his consistency, and not to mention he is leading the league in tackles for the second year in a row. Now people will say thats not necessarily a good thing because that means the defense is on the field to long, but DQ is PRODCUCTIVE to say the least. give the man a tad bit of Kudos here lol

I never understood why he took so much heat. He led the team in tackles and made the Pro Bowl last year, I'm not really sure what more you could want. My biggest knock on him was that he had trouble covering tight ends, but in reality, most linebackers aren't really that good at it. It just seemed that he got exposed as a mismatch so often that it was glaring.

Because most fans think they are smarter than those who actually play the games, choose the players and coach them.....all while probably sucking at their own careers. It makes them feel better about their obvious insecurities as they lash out in anonymity.... 

DQ has played well in 4 out of 5 games, the only game where he played average was in the Bills game.

And DQ has been playing consistent ball since he came to the Colts.  it is one of the things that makes DQ a very good LB, he is consistently in the right place and he consistently makes the play when he has the opprortunity.

He is not a guy that will take over a game or make huge flashy plays but he is consistent.

I also disagree with the idea that he is a liability in coverage, he's not.  He is a liability trying to cover the more athletic TEs in the NFL man to man but he's not asked to do that very often.  In zone coverage he is very good and he's very good at covering the more traditional TEs.

Exactly.

That play where he stuffed the QB sneak was just awesome. He was a whipping boy for many last year but you can't deny he's had a hell of a year so far besides the bills game.

That play was made by others.

He stank the 1st 2 games and has played good against the run against the Jags, Titans, and Texans. Kudos.

Now come good teams.

I`ve been trying to understand the whole logic of playing Freeman because he is "good in coverage" but not so much as a run stopper? Hear it a lot here on the forum. IMO, I`d give up poor pass coverage any day as a ILB vs a run stopping "thumper". Make the WR`s and TE`s grow "alligator arms" for coming across the middle if they so choose.

I love the sound of that, but for some reason, the middle of the field is always open against us! 

the man leads the league in tackles,sure his coverage skills can be suspect but COME ON MAN !

He's a liability in coverage. Get him lined up against almost any TE and he's outmatched, to say nothing of good TEs and slot receivers. And this is mostly in easy zone responsibility, not even man coverage where he's being asked to mirror a quick footed receiver. He's baaaaad in coverage, in a league that relies more and more on short passing, and he gets exploited in coverage almost every week.

He's been making up for it against the run, where he's been outstanding. He's flying to the ball, he comes downhill with abandon and arrives with authority, he's beating blockers with stack/shed and just making them miss, and outside of the Bills game, he's been highly reliable in the run game. He definitely plays a role, and lately he's been playing it well. 

If we can get some pressure, we can hide him in coverage. Play more single high, lock up the outside and use him as a rover across the middle, blitz him, etc. We can even use him as the bottom of a bracket against good TEs, with a safety over the top. Man Cover 1, Robber, Spy, etc. But in a perfect world, one of these other ILBs proves to be better in coverage and good enough against the run so that we don't have to hide the player that's at the center of the defense.

Parry... What a steal in the draft... Guy gets low and plays smart.

That's a pick (Anderson, too) that will serve the Colts well for years to come.

Grigson killed it with this draft... Every week our D-Line gets a little more experience... If we could get some health back in the secondary the D has serious potential for the rest of the year.

I don't think that Indy's SB hopes are in as much peril as others do. I believe that the offense will work itself out and be very good by midseason.

This would be true, except it's the pass rush that REALLY needs to improve.

I still remember that nice little pick he made against Rob Gronkowski in the AFC championship trailing him down the seam. He kind of kept us in the game with that one or otherwise we would have been down even further in that game going into half time.

A guy who was awful in coverage could have never made that play, and that's not even the first time DQ has picked Brady off.  He's picked him off playing man and zone coverages.  He picked him off when he was with the Browns and he did the same in the AFC championship.  I'm not going to say he is this big beast in the passing game because he's not, but he is not as awful as people say.

I'd rather have Freeman in there with Moore/Irving opposed to DQ. Freeman is still better than DQ in coverage and against the run, in my opinion, he just can't shake the groin/hamstring issues that he's dealt with the last 2 years.

No he's not. DQwell is our best linebacker and it isn't even a contest.

A guy who was awful in coverage could have never made that play, and that's not even the first time DQ has picked Brady off.  He's picked him off playing man and zone coverages.  He picked him off when he was with the Browns and he did the same in the AFC championship.  I'm not going to say he is this big beast in the passing game because he's not, but he is not as awful as people say.

Oh come on Krunk, if a Colts player does not make an impact play every single time then he sucks.

i think we got this. 

check this passing map: https://realfootballnetwork.com/5766/ne-ind-ind-defensive-passing-map/

freakin' loveeee this. 

"Through the five weeks of the season, the Colts lead the league in Passing Yards Allowed (1,466). The majority of those yards have come in the short passing range (0-10 yds), which is precisely where Tom Brady and the Patriots target with Josh McDaniel’s passing scheme. The Colts have allowed a pass completion percentage in this range of 72%, which is 4% higher than the league average. The 700 passing yards they have given up in this range is 239 yards more than the league average. The Colts have defended the intermediate and deep passing game fairly well, where their metrics across the various categories are just above or at the league averages."