Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Patriots pre-game thread -- Week 6 (merge)

Dark_Indy

You are basing this on the skill positions I take?  You are probably right as Gore and your receivers are probably the most talented although I would put the Bills up there too. The issue is your Oline is going to have issues with our front 7 which is the strength of this team. Collins and Sheard are coming on like beasts along with Easley and Jones on the line. I think as usual per our match ups the Pats will dominate the LOS both ways.

This. Belichick has made a point to focus on the D line. After basically blowing up the secondary, and knowing there was no way to replace the talent back there, they focused on solidifying the front. Also, our linebackers are very solid! If our front puts pressure on the QB, the secondary just has to hold the play for a few seconds. Did you see the tight coverage against Dallas? I saw tight man out there which I wasn't expecting. That secondary can only get better, as this defense as a whole has done each week.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is True. It's a pretty useless statistic. There are a lot of useless statistics. I knew it would be the only thing anyone addressed or took from my post.

You all Completely ignored the fact that he was sacked 5 times in the first half, or the fact that Dallas did not have a QB in the game... haha

Anyhoo..... carry on with your Brady praise and worship. He deserves it.

So Brady was sacked 5 times in the first half, the O still got 13 points in that half, there was 0 sacks in the second half and they scored 17 points.

What you and a lot of people may not know is the simple fact that the d coordinator threw something at the pats that they did not see on tape. I do not see many teams being able to do that to the pats going forward. (Esp the colts it's like a dang division game we face you guys it seems twice every year!)

Patriots fan here. Looking forward to a good, injury-free game for both teams.

Hey Colts fans, I'm gonna give you a heads up. The fans on the Cowboys forum have been complaining the Patriots were cheating all day last week. How? Illegal pick plays. They said the Patriots were called for 1, but got away with about 20. They have no less than two threads on the subject.

According to some, the Patriots haven't played a fair game since 1999.

Dude, stop trolling. 

He was so hurt they ran him 19 times on top of 7 to 9 passes. Wasn't that hurt. Nice try but we've been playing great run D all season. We've given up a 100 yard rusher from running backs once and Yeldon barely got that.

Easy.  I wasn't "trying" anything.  Just pointing out that Foster wasn't 100% and is working his way back into to game shape.  The Colts did a nice job of limiting him in the running game- I acknowledged that.  I was just hoping that you might look at those stats through a different lens.  Do you think the Colts "great run D" will prevent the Patriots from having a 100yd rusher?

I am generally puzzled by the mentions of the Pats games against Jax and Buffalo as being "soft".  Both of those teams are common opponents this year in the first quarter of the season and probably a pretty good measure of how the Colts and the Pats will perform against each other. 

I guess I have trouble understanding why beating Buffalo and blowing out Jax wouldn't count when the same two teams won and barely lost, respectively, to the Colts and is being ignored?

I am generally puzzled by the mentions of the Pats games against Jax and Buffalo as being "soft". Both of those teams are common opponents this year in the first quarter of the season and probably a pretty good measure of how the Colts and the Pats will perform against each other.

I guess I have trouble understanding why beating Buffalo and blowing out Jax wouldn't count when the same two teams won and barely lost, respectively, to the Colts and is being ignored?

I am more puzzles by calling Buffalo D soft I mean they are damn good and the Pats dropped 40 on them.. And they do have a winning record which is better than any team the colts have beaten so far.

Good comment, but AM I'm still waiting to see the dominance from the Pats on the ground.  They still allow quite a bit to opponents running the football to me.  They looked a bit better against the Cowboys but Randle still avg. 4 yards a carry even with the Pats paying full attention to the run.  I just feel confident because we've played some pretty beastly fronts this year between the Jets, Bills, and the Texans.  The running game was always there, the numbers may not show it in terms of 100 yard rushers and what not, but it's more a product of us getting pass happy and going away from what was working.  Gore has been running very well when we've made the commitments.  Committing to the run had been our issue early in the season.  I haven't seen a game we've played this year where we've been over matched on the ground and that's especially true against the 3-4 hybrid type teams.  I'll admit we had a little issue against the Jags for some reason but that's a different style of defense and they came into the game top 3 in defending the run.

The exciting thing is we've been making the commitment more and more to the point that we've changed our identity to more of a play action passing style with high percentage low risk throws.  Don't get me wrong we still take our shots down the field of course.  But we are getting the ball out much faster and scheming things to negate the pass rush.    I like that formula and IF we stick to it I feel we'll make some plays against your boys. I also have to mention that the 2 guards we've placed in the interior(Mewhort and Thornton) have performed much better than the bums we had in there at the beggining of the season.   As always New England is a quality opponent but we'll see on Sunday....

I'll be honest with you on this. It would be a plus for the Pats if the Colts go run heavy. You won't beat the Pats that way. Both the Ravens and Hawks tore the Pats up on the ground last post-season and lost. The Steelers tore it up week one and lost. You have to score points. A lot of them. To beat us. You will need 30+ to win and if you run, run then you will not get there. You have to be aggressive. Score TDs when you are in the red zone. Not FGs. Go for every single fourth and short if you are at mid field or closer. And you MUST get to Brady. This is the recipe IMO to beat the Pats. The Ravens have done it the best probably the last few years, before all their defensive players retired.

I'll be honest with you on this. It would be a plus for the Pats if the Colts go run heavy. You won't beat the Pats that way. Both the Ravens and Hawks tore the Pats up on the ground last post-season and lost. The Steelers tore it up week one and lost. You have to score points. A lot of them. To beat us. You will need 30+ to win and if you run, run then you will not get there. You have to be aggressive. Score TDs when you are in the red zone. Not FGs. Go for every single fourth and short if you are at mid field or closer. And you MUST get to Brady. This is the recipe IMO to beat the Pats. The Ravens have done it the best probably the last few years, before all their defensive players retired.

We are always going to take our shots at the end zone AM, and I do agree we need to  score.  I even stated that in one of my other posts.   Thing is the strategy you speak against is not why those teams lost.  Hawks lost because of a bone headed decision to pass on the goal line instead of taking that big beast of a RB and plowing through your defense for a Super Bowl victory.  Ravens lost the playoff game also due to a couple bone headed decisions late in the passing game and also Pats came back to expose that weak secondary they had.  You guys were getting pummeled for most of that game and I am speaking truth.   Pittsburgh killed their own chances by penalties that got TDs called back along with Mr. Darius Heyward Bey catching a TD on your guys with his foot out of bounds!  Not only that, but their defense was ATROCIOUS and I might be being kind using that word.

I don't see anything wrong with the offensive strategy because we'll still strike down the field.  Just have to minimize the bone headed stuff.  I've noticed against the Pats when we feel like we need to be in this big hurry to throw our way down the field as fast as we can that is when the bone headed stuff happens.  It's the bone headed stuff that will get you beat against New England.

Nate Solder out for the rest of the season

Yeah, you hate to lose guys. But the Patriots have been rotating their line as of late, so although this could be an issue, I'd bet they can figure it out. But you hate to lose guys of his caliber at any position. Definitely something to watch for on Sunday.

We are always going to take our shots at the end zone AM, and I do agree we need to  score.  I even stated that in one of my other posts.   Thing is the strategy you speak against is not why those teams lost.  Hawks lost because of a bone headed decision to pass on the goal line instead of taking that big beast of a RB and plowing through your defense for a Super Bowl victory.  Ravens lost the playoff game also due to a couple bone headed decisions late in the passing game and also Pats came back to expose that weak secondary they had.  You guys were getting pummeled for most of that game and I am speaking truth.   Pittsburgh killed their own chances by penalties that got TDs called back along with Mr. Darius Heyward Bey catching a TD on your guys with his foot out of bounds!  Not only that, but their defense was ATROCIOUS and I might be being kind using that word.

I don't see anything wrong with the offensive strategy because we'll still strike down the field.  Just have to minimize the bone headed stuff.  I've noticed against the Pats when we feel like we need to be in this big hurry to throw our way down the field as fast as we can that is when the bone headed stuff happens.  It's the bone headed stuff that will get you beat against New England.

Sure. Pats don't beat themselves so you have to play clean and smart. Not sure Luck will have the time to go deep. We will see. I do think your offense presents different challenges for our defense and that is a good thing as we really have not been challenged yet.

Yes, Ravens had a great defensive package each time they played Patriots. A good defense and scheming makes all the difference in the world. But, even that great defense was not enough to stop Brady. And even Seattle's (better) defense was not enough to stop Brady. Defense can win championships. But when you have an offense that can go toe to toe with them, all you need to do is score 1 more point than them. Baltimore and Seattle found that out.

All I heard the week leading up to the Buffalo game was how the Bills defense was going to shut down Brady. The opposite of that happened. As for Colts, the Patriots have owned them on the ground. You know the Colts have to spend time game planning for that, but Belichick may come out and pass on the first 12 plays. A quick pass to Lewis is the same as a run.

I look at this offense now, and I'm really getting very excited going forward. The defense gets a bit better each week and I can't wait to see what this offense is doing in week 8 when they are full throttle. I'm very aware of what this team can accomplish this year, and it is something very special. I will enjoy each week to it's fullest. The sun is setting on Brady's career, and I'd like to see him go out on his terms.

Hey Colts fans, I'm gonna give you a heads up. The fans on the Cowboys forum have been complaining the Patriots were cheating all day last week. How? Illegal pick plays. They said the Patriots were called for 1, but got away with about 20. They have no less than two threads on the subject.

According to some, the Patriots haven't played a fair game since 1999.

To be fair it seems like the big name QB's and offenses get a lot of slack on pick plays.

I'm just tired of the ridiculous rules that favor the offense so much.

You can't even look at a WR without getting flagged on defense but you can run a blatant pick play to take out a defender with no consequence.

To be fair it seems like the big name QB's and offenses get a lot of slack on pick plays.

You can't even look at a WR without getting flagged on defense but you can run a blatant pick play to take out a defender with no consequence.

Amen.

No offense intended, but it was the Colts more than anyone else who pushed for that shift.

Pats run a lot of them, but when run correctly they run one defender into another thus both receivers are open. Amandola did it perfectly on Sunday as an example

Pats run a lot of them, but when run correctly they run one defender into another thus both receivers are open. Amandola did it perfectly on Sunday as an example

I see a lot of receivers blocking while the ball is in the air on pick plays too.

They need to disallow any contact a receiver makes if the defender cannot make contact also.

Sure. Pats don't beat themselves so you have to play clean and smart. Not sure Luck will have the time to go deep. We will see. I do think your offense presents different challenges for our defense and that is a good thing as we really have not been challenged yet.

Looks like we'll have Ahmad Bradshaw and Frank Gore this Sunday.  At least I'm hoping because they may sit him out being that he hasn't played any games this year.

Just announced by president Barrack Obama, the nation is to take a silent moment of genuflection when the godlike New England Patriots take the field at Lucas Oil Stadium Sunday night

As is only right! BOW YOUR HEAD WHEN THE EMPEROR ENTERS YOUR PUNY STADIUM!! Lmbo

With Solder out, how good or bad is the pats o-line now ? 

I expect the Colts to blitz heavily on Defense on the left side. If anything I want a surprise play where one of the CBs blitz Brady. Let one of our multiple Linebackers cover one of their WR and blitz our CB. haha a guy can dream. 

Yeah, the defense is, for lack of a better word, defenseless back there. If they hit a guy without the receiver looking them in the eye, it's a defenseless receiver call. If they touch the QB on the helmet, it's a roughing the passer call. If they lead with their shoulder, but the hit is a hard hit, often the flags fly. It's almost to the point where they'll have to grab the flag from the offensive player's belt. I think it was the Patriots/Buffalo game, where he was "touched" on the helmet, and bam a 15 yard penalty and 1st down. Even I was like, wait a minute, they need to relax these rules on the QB.

First look at this thread, as I knew it would be a car crash. There are more Pats fans here than soft balls in a broken toilet. I do believe they are feasting, waiting for the kill. Time to leave for good (this thread I mean). Enjoy the sychophantic back slapping.

I have missed you....  :hello:

Easy. I wasn't "trying" anything. Just pointing out that Foster wasn't 100% and is working his way back into to game shape. The Colts did a nice job of limiting him in the running game- I acknowledged that. I was just hoping that you might look at those stats through a different lens. Do you think the Colts "great run D" will prevent the Patriots from having a 100yd rusher?

I do most certainly

This. Belichick has made a point to focus on the D line. After basically blowing up the secondary, and knowing there was no way to replace the talent back there, they focused on solidifying the front. Also, our linebackers are very solid! If our front puts pressure on the QB, the secondary just has to hold the play for a few seconds. Did you see the tight coverage against Dallas? I saw tight man out there which I wasn't expecting. That secondary can only get better, as this defense as a whole has done each week.

Over and over again I see this sort of denial from you guys where you talk about that great front seven and then you move on to another topic when I ask why you have given up so much against the run? I seek a straight answer and then you guys flip and start talking about pass rush. The pass rush you have mostly gotten against second tier guys who don't even know how to move in the pocket very well to distribute the football. Guys like Bortles, Tyrod Taylor, Brandon Weeden

You mean the tight man coverage against Cole Beasley and Kevin Williams? What do you think your guys would have looked like with Dez and Romo out there? Man the Cowboyz offense was handicapped and u know it..