Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st Visit to Indy and Stadium: Need advice

nnjcoltsman

I've been a Colts fan all my life.  But I live in NJ.

For my last birthday, my wife presented me (and her) with tickets to the Denver game along with hotel reservations!!   So we're making a car trip to Indy.   Never been there before and believe it or not, haven't been to ANY game since a Houston Gamblers game in the 80's.   

What we need is information and advice.  1. What to do or go on Saturday and early Sunday, and,  2.Game/stadium information.

Any suggestions as to what to do?   Maybe the Indy Trolley?   Any suggested places to see and eat?

Then, as to game day.......Its a 4:25 game.   Is there something in the stadium to see, stores, etc?  And what time should we go in?   Of course we want to take in the whole experience, so give us some suggestions.

I'm excited to see both Peyton and Luck play each other, no matter what the outcome.  I have my old #18 jersey.....would that be bad to wear it for this game?   

Any advice as to things to bring?  We have binoculars, but would that be too much?

I'm basically clueless, so bring on the suggestions.  We're so excited and I thank my dear wife for such a great present!

Thanks

Bob

I went last year from NY by car with friend (as he is long time Oiler/Titan fan). Ist NFL game ever as Colt fan since early 70's. Make sure you go to Touchdown town before the game, which is opened a few hours before the game. It's by the entrance of Lucas Oil and they have give-aways, meet cheerleaders, and get autographs frrom them and a former Indy player too. I met Jeff Herrod last year. I plan on going back. Which hotel u by and seats? Make sure you check Colts Pro Shop when enetr the stadium. Also on that level, go to Toyota table are and get 1st Colt game button while they have them. Pleanty of places to eat by and at the stadium. Colt Fans are very cool and friendly. The game action is very fast live compared to what you see on TV.

If the weather is crappy you can walk thru the convention center straight into the stadium. Also everything downtown is within walking distance. So if you don't plan on driving once you get to town Saturday try to park in the parking garage on Washington Street. It has a sky walk into the Marriott. If you park Saturday and don't leave till after the game you can park for free (they charge $10 on game day). We had season tickets in 2013&14. We only paid for parking once which was the 1st game we went to.

We liked to go the the ram bar or the Colts bar and grill on Saturday nights for dinner then we'd just wall around the bar hop. On Sunday morning we would go to Champs in the Marriott for breakfast and beers. Get there early they get packed on game day. They should have touch down town set up if the weather is nice. There'll be a band and drink specials before the game.

After the game exit back thru the convention center back to the parking garage and you'll be back on the interstate in 10mins(depending on what level you parked on). I always tried to park on lowest level.

Enjoy indy and the game it's a great city to spend the weekend in and see a game. We miss not having season tickets. Hopefully we get them next year.

Manning jerseys are always okay to wear. You'll see a bunch of them. The stadium has multiple entrances. Pretty much everything in the city is walking distance. A bunch of restaurants and bars downtown that you can go to. Georgia St. has a tailgate type setup with drinks and music before the game. If you get in the stadium early and want to kill some time, it's not a bad idea to just walk around and explore it. You can access the Pro Shop once inside as well and I always recommend going to the window and checking out the view.

There is a ton to do in downtown indy, all walking distance. Depends what sort or restaurant experience you want but there is a Dicks Last Resort (where the waiters make fun of you lol), St. Elmos steakhouse is where a lot of visiting players/coaches eat the night before games ( a bit pricey and will need reservations), hard rock cafe, and a ton of other places. Downtown and connected to most hotels is circle Centre mall, a 3 story mall right in downtown. There are carriage rides which are always popular with the ladies, I believe it's yellow rose carriage co. Lucas Oil Stadium is a whole experience, you can spend hours in there for sure, soooo much to see! There is also a cool new escape room in downtown above the old spaghetti factory. Warehouse district and Mass Ave both downtown have a ton of bars and cool spots that I could spend a lot more time giving pointers if you want lol.

I'm from California and I went to the Ravens game last year. Lesson learned? One way streets are frustrating when you are looking for parking. I stayed at the Omni and I had to park at the mall parking lot for 20 bucks a night. It was cold, but the walk downtown on the way to the stadium was great. Have fun!!

I'm coming down from Winnipeg for the Broncos game with my son.  Last time (only time) we were at a Colts game in Indy was in 2005 versus the San Diego Charges (Colts were 13-0 at the time).  That was at the RCA Dome, so this will be our first game at Lucas Oil Stadium.  Already got our reservation at St. Elmo's Steak House, too.  Can't wait!

Sweet!  I always hit the Colts Bar N Grill when I make my yearly trip.  Usually hitting it on a Saturday is fun because all of the college football games are on.  It's a cool place and has good food.  We usually hit the Zoo every once in a while too but it's pretty exspensive.  As far as the game, there are usually tents and things set up outside of the stadium.  I believe you can get in up to an hour and a half early.  Have fun, hopefully the Colts get a win!

Game day downtown you'll have fun just being around so many colts fans.  Just wandering around is fun

http://www.colts.com/stadium/pre-game-fun.html

Lots of food options near the stadium.  It just depends on how much you want to spend and what you like to eat

http://www.downtownindy.org/explore-downtown/eat-drink/

If you are a beer fan, micro brews are a big deal here: Sunking is big locally and they do tours http://www.sunkingbrewing.com/

If the weather is nice you can just walk around and see what strikes your fancy

As for saturday, it depends on what you like:  

I love walking the canal if the weather is nice, all the museums are along the canal, you can rent bikes and paddle boats 

http://www.indianatrails.com/content/canal-walk-indianapolis

There are some beautiful historic neighborhoods to just wander though: Lockerbie square is beautiful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockerbie_Square_Historic_District

and it's right off mass ave (where there are a lot of restaurants & shops so you can wander around and see what suits you)

https://www.visitindy.com/indianapolis-mass-ave-arts-district

I like bazbeaux (pizza) and chatham tap on mass ave

http://chathamtap.com/

I've been a Colts fan all my life. But I live in NJ.

For my last birthday, my wife presented me (and her) with tickets to the Denver game along with hotel reservations!! So we're making a car trip to Indy. Never been there before and believe it or not, haven't been to ANY game since a Houston Gamblers game in the 80's.

What we need is information and advice. 1. What to do or go on Saturday and early Sunday, and, 2.Game/stadium information.

Any suggestions as to what to do? Maybe the Indy Trolley? Any suggested places to see and eat?

Then, as to game day.......Its a 4:25 game. Is there something in the stadium to see, stores, etc? And what time should we go in? Of course we want to take in the whole experience, so give us some suggestions.

I'm excited to see both Peyton and Luck play each other, no matter what the outcome. I have my old #18 jersey.....would that be bad to wear it for this game?

Any advice as to things to bring? We have binoculars, but would that be too much?

I'm basically clueless, so bring on the suggestions. We're so excited and I thank my dear wife for such a great present!

Thanks

Bob

where are your seats? I highly doubt you'll need binoculars there really isn't a bad seat in the house

Definitely Colts Grille!  Circle Center Mall is pretty cool!

I've been a Colts fan all my life.  But I live in NJ.

For my last birthday, my wife presented me (and her) with tickets to the Denver game along with hotel reservations!!   So we're making a car trip to Indy.   Never been there before and believe it or not, haven't been to ANY game since a Houston Gamblers game in the 80's.   

What we need is information and advice.  1. What to do or go on Saturday and early Sunday, and,  2.Game/stadium information.

Any suggestions as to what to do?   Maybe the Indy Trolley?   Any suggested places to see and eat?

Then, as to game day.......Its a 4:25 game.   Is there something in the stadium to see, stores, etc?  And what time should we go in?   Of course we want to take in the whole experience, so give us some suggestions.

I'm excited to see both Peyton and Luck play each other, no matter what the outcome.  I have my old #18 jersey.....would that be bad to wear it for this game?   

Any advice as to things to bring?  We have binoculars, but would that be too much?

I'm basically clueless, so bring on the suggestions.  We're so excited and I thank my dear wife for such a great present!

Thanks

Bob

I've seen plenty of people with binoculars before, however if you don't mind standing, you can get a better view at the Bud Light platform!

Where are your seats????

Take your binoculars   You can watch the horrid Oline up close, also Fun to fan watch during time outs etc  and you can get a close up view of players on the sideline.

Dicks Last Resort  to eat  very fun place.... Prepare to be offended if you have thin skin!!!   You wont get into St Elmos now.

Parking in Circle center mall is great especially if weather is bad.  You can walk all the way into the stadium without going outside.. so you wont have to carry a coat. And if you buy something in the mall  Colts Store etc....  they will only charge you normal parking 8-10.00 depending on how long you are there.....instead of event parking 25.00.....  VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!  If they charge you as you enter the garage YOU ARE IN THE WRONG ONE!!!  Exit and make sure you go to the one that gives you a ticket.

If its nice out diffidently go to Touchdown Town....  Make sure you check the main entrance for any give aways the Colts have....  from signs to gas cards.

Beer is about 7.50, you can get bottled water and soda if you like or in a fountain  2-4.00.  They take the lids off of the bottled stuff so take a soda top if you want to seal it and sit it under your seats.

Also....  No purses!!!  they allow a very small bag for wallet etc...  So unless your wife needs to carry something tell her to take ID and credit card and leave the purse in the room.  Same with binoculars, take them, leave the carry case in the room.

Been a STH for a while....  can tell you more if we know where you are sitting   At least the section   row and seat doesnt matter.

They have crazy big ice cream sandwiches on level 6.....    He might not be making them anymore,    but if he is!!  Yea Man! 

Hope this helps

Hey there! There is so much to do in Indy on the weekend! I would definitely get there early Saturday if you are able to and explore Indianapolis. There is a lot of parking around the city and you can get to most things by walking. The big problem is parking prices, it can get stupid during game day. $20ish, could be worse I suppose.

Colts Grille is a must stop for lunch or something. You can check out the walls of signed NFL autographs and comments from players/coaches as well. Very cool. Prices aren't expensive either. Sometimes you may spot an NFL player in there every now and then. St Elmos and Harry & Izzy's are great restaurants and are next door to each other. Harry & Izzy's is kind of like the little brother of the two and share the same supplier for steak. They are pricey though!

Walking the canal through downtown Indy is fun. You can rent bikes, paddleboats, and other things down there as well.

Check out Monument Circle. You can drive around it or park and walk around the monument and check it out. Lots of shops and restaurants around it as well. It can get very busy down there at night though depending on the weather. It's kind of a hang out spot for many people.

Circle Centre Mall is cool and most of the hotels are connected to it in some way. haha

Wear your #18 jersey! Lots of people still do and I don't think it's an issue. We all love Peyton still so there shouldn't be any issue.

There are multiple entrances around the stadium. Do know that you can't bring a purse or bag into the stadium. You can buy those clear NFL bags to put your belongings in if you absolutely need to. I usually just have my wallet/phone/keys on me and that's it. They will scan you with a handheld metal detector going in. I've seen a few people with binoculars actually, shouldn't be a problem! As far as going in, we usually get there 1 hour before the game but I believe it is open way before that. Enjoy the game, should be one hell of a time! Cherish the moment and have fun!

I went last year from NY by car with friend (as he is long time Oiler/Titan fan). Ist NFL game ever as Colt fan since early 70's. Make sure you go to Touchdown town before the game, which is opened a few hours before the game. It's by the entrance of Lucas Oil and they have give-aways, meet cheerleaders, and get autographs frrom them and a former Indy player too. I met Jeff Herrod last year. I plan on going back. Which hotel u by and seats? Make sure you check Colts Pro Shop when enetr the stadium. Also on that level, go to Toyota table are and get 1st Colt game button while they have them. Pleanty of places to eat by and at the stadium. Colt Fans are very cool and friendly. The game action is very fast live compared to what you see on TV.

Thanks Jcolt72.

We're in the Comfort Suites hotel and will walk from there.

We're in section 237, level 2.

Got to get those 'first timer buttons'

Bob

If the weather is crappy you can walk thru the convention center straight into the stadium. Also everything downtown is within walking distance. So if you don't plan on driving once you get to town Saturday try to park in the parking garage on Washington Street. It has a sky walk into the Marriott. If you park Saturday and don't leave till after the game you can park for free (they charge $10 on game day). We had season tickets in 2013&14. We only paid for parking once which was the 1st game we went to.

We liked to go the the ram bar or the Colts bar and grill on Saturday nights for dinner then we'd just wall around the bar hop. On Sunday morning we would go to Champs in the Marriott for breakfast and beers. Get there early they get packed on game day. They should have touch down town set up if the weather is nice. There'll be a band and drink specials before the game.

After the game exit back thru the convention center back to the parking garage and you'll be back on the interstate in 10mins(depending on what level you parked on). I always tried to park on lowest level.

Enjoy indy and the game it's a great city to spend the weekend in and see a game. We miss not having season tickets. Hopefully we get them next year.

We'll walk to the game and back.  But a good hearty breakfast would be something I'd like.   But we don't drink that much, but like a beer or whatever.   Is it actually 'breakfast AND beer?

Thanks

Bob

Manning jerseys are always okay to wear. You'll see a bunch of them. The stadium has multiple entrances. Pretty much everything in the city is walking distance. A bunch of restaurants and bars downtown that you can go to. Georgia St. has a tailgate type setup with drinks and music before the game. If you get in the stadium early and want to kill some time, it's not a bad idea to just walk around and explore it. You can access the Pro Shop once inside as well and I always recommend going to the window and checking out the view.

That's good, I'd like to wear my old #18 jersey.  My wife specifically picked this game so we could see him play.   And in the NY/NJ stadiums, you could be in trouble wearing the wrong jersey.

I'd like to check out the stadium inside.   Are there a bunch of stores inside or just the Pro Shop?  

Thanks

Bob

I've been a Colts fan all my life. But I live in NJ.

For my last birthday, my wife presented me (and her) with tickets to the Denver game along with hotel reservations!! So we're making a car trip to Indy. Never been there before and believe it or not, haven't been to ANY game since a Houston Gamblers game in the 80's.

What we need is information and advice. 1. What to do or go on Saturday and early Sunday, and, 2.Game/stadium information.

Any suggestions as to what to do? Maybe the Indy Trolley? Any suggested places to see and eat?

Then, as to game day.......Its a 4:25 game. Is there something in the stadium to see, stores, etc? And what time should we go in? Of course we want to take in the whole experience, so give us some suggestions.

I'm excited to see both Peyton and Luck play each other, no matter what the outcome. I have my old #18 jersey.....would that be bad to wear it for this game?

Any advice as to things to bring? We have binoculars, but would that be too much?

I'm basically clueless, so bring on the suggestions. We're so excited and I thank my dear wife for such a great present!

Thanks

Bob

If you want fine dining, I'd suggest either St. Elmo's Steakhouse or Fogo De Chao. You would be perfectly fine wearing your #18 jersey.

Game day downtown you'll have fun just being around so many colts fans.  Just wandering around is fun

http://www.colts.com/stadium/pre-game-fun.html

Lots of food options near the stadium.  It just depends on how much you want to spend and what you like to eat

http://www.downtownindy.org/explore-downtown/eat-drink/

If you are a beer fan, micro brews are a big deal here: Sunking is big locally and they do tours http://www.sunkingbrewing.com/

If the weather is nice you can just walk around and see what strikes your fancy

As for saturday, it depends on what you like:  

I love walking the canal if the weather is nice, all the museums are along the canal, you can rent bikes and paddle boats 

http://www.indianatrails.com/content/canal-walk-indianapolis

There are some beautiful historic neighborhoods to just wander though: Lockerbie square is beautiful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockerbie_Square_Historic_District

and it's right off mass ave (where there are a lot of restaurants & shops so you can wander around and see what suits you)

https://www.visitindy.com/indianapolis-mass-ave-arts-district

I like bazbeaux (pizza) and chatham tap on mass ave

http://chathamtap.com/

Wow, thanks Nadine!   I'll enjoy reading all this.  Very helpful and thanks for the links.

You know anything about the Civil War Museum on Monument Circle?

Pgt_rob mentioned it - the Sailors & Soldiers Monument is the most taken for granted sculpture - it's beautiful but no one seems to realize it! Notice the war scenes on one side and the other devoted to peace, carved out of limestone. You can take steps (or slow elevator) to the top; views are just okay. Also unique is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and its museum - it a 20 minute or so drive from downtown. The zoo is tucked cleverly downtown; the Eiteljorn Museum of western art in highly regarded, as is the Children's Museum.

That's good, I'd like to wear my old #18 jersey.  My wife specifically picked this game so we could see him play.   And in the NY/NJ stadiums, you could be in trouble wearing the wrong jersey.

I'd like to check out the stadium inside.   Are there a bunch of stores inside or just the Pro Shop?  

Thanks

Bob

I think it's pretty much just the Pro Shop.

Well no its not breakfast. They don't open till 10 local time. We always split 2 appetizers. The ribs and pulled pork sliders are great. For drinks I'd get a bucket of coors light and wife would get a bloody Maria(bloody Mary but with tequila). Then we'd had to stadium about hour before kick off.

Well no its not breakfast. They don't open till 10 local time. We always split 2 appetizers. The ribs and pulled pork sliders are great. For drinks I'd get a bucket of coors light and wife would get a bloody Maria(bloody Mary but with tequila). Then we'd had to stadium about hour before kick off.

Also check to see if there's a convention going on. For early games you could get in free after the game with your tickets sometimes. We never went but on walk thru you could snag some left over free bees. They had comicon going on during one of the games last year. That's was funny seeing 1000s of football fans walking thru people dressed up as orcs, Harry potter, or the avengers.

Also tell your wife to leave her purse in car or hotel room. They only allow clear bags or little bitty bags. Seen admit of people get all the way up to the security check point and have to walk all the way back cause they had a bag that was to big.

Wow, thanks Nadine!   I'll enjoy reading all this.  Very helpful and thanks for the links.

You know anything about the Civil War Museum on Monument Circle?

I've not been to the civil war museum but I should go

I love the Indiana State Museum

Monument Circle is pretty.  You should take a walk there.  I hope the weather allows you to walk around.  It's a nice walkable downtown

I just got this today.  Some good food ideas: http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/arts-culture/dinner-and-a-show/

I've not been to the civil war museum but I should go

I love the Indiana State Museum

Monument Circle is pretty. You should take a walk there. I hope the weather allows you to walk around. It's a nice walkable downtown

I just got this today. Some good food ideas: http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/arts-culture/dinner-and-a-show/

Circle is a great place to sit around and eat lunch.

Also tell your wife to leave her purse in car or hotel room. They only allow clear bags or little bitty bags. Seen admit of people get all the way up to the security check point and have to walk all the way back cause they had a bag that was to big.

Yeah, I bought one of those clear official NFL bags, jic.

Thanks

Bob

You're in really good seats man! You probably won't even need binoculars. lol

Great, I thought they were good.  My wife's great.  She did this all by herself with a little help from my brother.  Picked the game and the seats.  She'll be next to me  yelling too!   This is a dream come true for me and us.  She never watched football until we started going out and has had to suffer with me screaming at the TV all these 40 years.  Going to Gettysburg (again) on the way out (Indiana had some great dedication in the CW) and she has us going home via the NFL Hall of Fame.  How great is she!!!

Bob

Great, I thought they were good. My wife's great. She did this all by herself with a little help from my brother. Picked the game and the seats. She'll be next to me yelling too! This is a dream come true for me and us. She never watched football until we started going out and has had to suffer with me screaming at the TV all these 40 years. Going to Gettysburg (again) on the way out (Indiana had some great dedication in the CW) and she has us going home via the NFL Hall of Fame. How great is she!!!

Bob

Sounds like you have one hell of a wife! She picked out some good seats for probably one of the best games of the season. You'll get to see the Colts AND Peyton Manning. You're one lucky dude! I'm sure the crowd is going to be loud as ever too!