Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Elway And Eli Drafts

reddmmann

No team wants to waste a first round pick. You can draft a guy, but if he says he doesn't want to play for you, you will look foolish if you let your first round pick sit until his contract is over when you can trade him and get something in return. Personally, I don't like it. The draftees shouldn't get to dictate where they play. I would purposely trade them to the next worst team. One thing that really set me off of Von Miller was how he was part of the Brady et al. case. This guy wasn't even in the NFL yet, what was he doing fighting against his future employer before they have even hired him?

Elway threatened to play baseball if drafted by the Colts but, what leverage did Eli Manning have?

What convinced the Chargers that they had to trade him?

Well, I doubt that they would have traded Eli had Phillip Rivers not been available.

hmmm.

perhaps you would think differently as an actual player and not just a casual fan. 'owner' means team owner, not slave owner.

there should be a balance between a players want to play or not play somewhere and the competitive balance of the league.

hmmm.

perhaps you would think differently as an actual player and not just a casual fan. 'owner' means team owner, not slave owner.

there should be a balance between a players want to play or not play somewhere and the competitive balance of the league.

If you allow the players to dictate where they play, before they are even drafted, then how does that help the teams that need it most (ie the teams who lose the most games in that given season)?

Also, everyone needs to just STOP with the "slave owner" crap! The last i checked, these football players (and all professional athletes, for the most part) are multi millionaires...they are NOT slaves and not even close.

Anyone who tries to start that argument doesnt have a clue, period!

hmmm.

also on the "slave owner" crap...if they dont want to play for the team that has the right to draft them, or the team that they signed a contract with, then quit and go get a real job. They are all LUCKY to be paid millions of dollars to PLAY a GAME for their "job". If they dont like the situation, no one is forcing them to play professional sports.

also on the "slave owner" crap...if they dont want to play for the team that has the right to draft them, or the team that they signed a contract with, then quit and go get a real job. They are all LUCKY to be paid millions of dollars to PLAY a GAME for their "job". If they dont like the situation, no one is forcing them to play professional sports.

They actually have a real job and their skill set is so unique that it's much more than a game. Out of the 150 million men in america there's probably only 15 at a given time that can do what Elway or Manning (either one) is capable of. It's that extremely rare (1 in 10 million) ability that gives them bargaining power and fans like all of us that makes them so highly paid and feeling somewhat entitled.

You can't spoil your child and then blame the child for acting that way. I just hope Andrew Luck doesn't take that route but he might be right to do so.

ooohkay. again, if it was not 'they', but 'you'-- the tune would be different.

yes they are lucky, but why should they be completely passive in THEIR OWN FUTURE???

lets look at elway-- why SHOULD he have been forced to come play for the elder irsay? according to folks like you, he should just be happy to take what is handed to him. here in the real world, rather than that, he had other options, like baseball. seems to me it worked out pretty good for him and denver.....and until we got new ownership we were close to the worse place a player could go (cincy being the bottom).

eli manning-- did not want to play for the chargers. he had options, and it worked out, didnt it?

i support the drat as a leveler for teams over the long haul, but the should be some balance-- if a guy feels strong enough about not going somewhere, he should have some ability to alter HIS not your destiny.

your 'dont like it, dont play' is just lame. ideology has made your worldview too rigid.

If you allow the players to dictate where they play, before they are even drafted, then how does that help the teams that need it most (ie the teams who lose the most games in that given season)?

Also, everyone needs to just STOP with the "slave owner" crap! The last i checked, these football players (and all professional athletes, for the most part) are multi millionaires...they are NOT slaves and not even close.

Anyone who tries to start that argument doesnt have a clue, period!

they dont seem to have much control over where they go. they dont have a contract thats worth much at all, just what is guaranteed them.

there is a legit legal argument against the draft and league having too much power-- anti-trust stuff.

the point of view that these guys have limits placed on them above and beyond what is in THEIR best interests is pretty cut and dried.

as far as slave owner, the point i was making is that they are team owners, not player owners.

if you dont like reading my posts, feel free to follow your own advice no one is forcing you to read it.

ooohkay. again, if it was not 'they', but 'you'-- the tune would be different.

yes they are lucky, but why should they be completely passive in THEIR OWN FUTURE???

lets look at elway-- why SHOULD he have been forced to come play for the elder irsay? according to folks like you, he should just be happy to take what is handed to him. here in the real world, rather than that, he had other options, like baseball. seems to me it worked out pretty good for him and denver.....and until we got new ownership we were close to the worse place a player could go (cincy being the bottom).

eli manning-- did not want to play for the chargers. he had options, and it worked out, didnt it?

i support the drat as a leveler for teams over the long haul, but the should be some balance-- if a guy feels strong enough about not going somewhere, he should have some ability to alter HIS not your destiny.

your 'dont like it, dont play' is just lame. ideology has made your worldview too rigid.

i said that they can pursue other options if they dont like who they would play for....but they shouldnt be entitled to pick and choose what team until they become a free agent.

My biggest issue is with the ^fool^ic "slave" statement that so many people try to make

did you by chance watch jerry richardson when he was on charlie rose? (i think thats the carolina owner, right?).

he actually told charlie that he told can newton that 1) he expects him to NOT GET ANY TATTOOS WHILE UNDER CONTRACT, AND 2) HE BEST KEEP HIS HAIR SHORT, NO LONG HAIR. all that in an interview beofre making him the top pick...

dont get me wrong, i dont have any tattoos, and run close to the joe lifer length myself, but to tell a guy that those are conditions to pick him?

if thats defensible, then commentary using the 's' word is too. none of that is performance related, or given the prevalence of long hair and ink even on his own team and seems a bit 'massa' given the location of the franchise.

i will give jerry credit as an actual owner that played though.

as far as 'other options' and the draft-- there should be a balance between an individuals right to work where they please and the leagues right to competitive balance. if say eli does not want a west coast gig-- he has every right to do whatever he can to avoid it. if a team drafts him anyway, the rules are pretty clear what his options are....

so, a guy should be able to posture pre-draft to get a better personal option JUST LIKE BOTH ELI AND ELWAY DID.