Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Norv Turner And Aj Smith Not Fired

pacolts56

I think Norv Turner is a decent coach.. but he should of been fired.. they just cant make the playoffs and if they do they cant win to make it to the superbowl... I think its time for a change in their coaching.

I'm not sure what the reason would be for firing Smith - considering that the Chargers have been considered to have one of the most talented teams in the league for years. It's their failure to perform consistently that's the problem, and it has to reflect on the coach. I've been meaning to say this on here for months now in all those anti-Caldwell threads. The COLTS didn't underperform this year anywhere near as badly as the Chargers and Eagles (for example). What realisitic excuses did either have for their struggles? And both coaches are much longer termed and more highly regarded than Caldwell. If I was a Charger fan I'd be ticked.

I'm not sure what the reason would be for firing Smith - considering that the Chargers have been considered to have one of the most talented teams in the league for years. It's their failure to perform consistently that's the problem, and it has to reflect on the coach. I've been meaning to say this on here for months now in all those anti-Caldwell threads. The COLTS didn't underperform this year anywhere near as badly as the Chargers and Eagles (for example). What realisitic excuses did either have for their struggles? And both coaches are much longer termed and more highly regarded than Caldwell. If I was a Charger fan I'd be ticked.

Well....there's no disagreement over Turner's substandard results, but thats the whole point.

AJ Smith..... a Bill Polian protege with the abrasive temperment to match.....was squarely in the middle of the Marty Shottenheimer mess and won out in that fight.....and then hired Norv Turner who underperformed Marty.

I'd have fired them both.

Well....there's no disagreement over Turner's substandard results, but thats the whole point.

AJ Smith..... a Bill Polian protege with the abrasive temperment to match.....was squarely in the middle of the Marty Shottenheimer mess and won out in that fight.....and then hired Norv Turner who underperformed Marty.

I'd have fired them both.

I had no idea about the Polian connection nor his personality. Interesting. I did always feel kind of bad for Shottenheimer. How anyone can sell the concept of firing a coach who has just put together a far better season than anything that had been done to earn him the job in the first place is beyond me. Turner on the other hand probably should have been gone the second time that the Chargers started a season by seriously underperforming expectations.

I had no idea about the Polian connection nor his personality. Interesting. I did always feel kind of bad for Shottenheimer. How anyone can sell the concept of firing a coach who has just put together a far better season than anything that had been done to earn him the job in the first place is beyond me. Turner on the other hand probably should have been gone the second time that the Chargers started a season by seriously underperforming expectations.

Yeah....I felt bad for Marty in that deal too, and IMO the last straw for Turner should have been last year's playoff miss after being upset in the playoffs by the Jets the year prior.

Turner proved to be a good OC with Dallas and SF....I guess he's another example of a coordinator that for one reason or another just don't achieve success as a head coach.

Someone should tell Dean Spanos.

Someone should tell Dean Spanos.

Shhhh......I don't want him catching wind. I am hoping that Norv's tenure with the Chargers continues into next decade.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, though. They canned Marty after going 14-2 because of failures in the playoffs, but then they keep his replacement around after repeatedly failing to even make the playoffs. I guess it just hammers home the point. It's better to not make the playoffs than to lose in the playoffs.