Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is the master plan?

SilentHill

We have lost the following veterans this offseason (am I missing anyone significant)

1. Bob Sanders

2. Clint Session

3. Charlie Johnson

4. Kelvin Hayden

5. Daniel Muir

What is the game plan for replacement? Without signing Johnson we are under the cap. What will we do with the little cap room we have left?

@ruksak

I was under the impession that Peyons cap hit is only 16 mil this year. Why does everyone think hes taking up 23 mil of our space?

16, 23....whatever. lol

Point being, we pay out the rear for Manning and Freeney and this has much to do with our inability to keep FA's.

This is the ripple effect of signing one guy to a $23 million dollar a year deal. Also why I stated the Colts are going to essentially be starting from scratch in 5 years when Manning leaves.

not really. sanders was a wasted roster spot..sessions isn't worth anything close to what the jags gave him...hayden was a mediocre player who got payed like an ellite player...and muir sucked. i'm not sure the deal with charlie johnson was, but they were saying on the radio he was wanting crazy money.

I'm not really looking for the reasons why the players above left. I'm looking to find out if anyone has any clue what the Colts game plan is going to be after cutting ties with 5 veteran players. We surely cannot replace them with 1st or 2nd year players can we?

Can anyone confirm I'm close on the 10mil cap #?

not really. sanders was a wasted roster spot..sessions isn't worth anything close to what the jags gave him...hayden was a mediocre player who got payed like an ellite player...and muir sucked. i'm not sure the deal with charlie johnson was, but they were saying on the radio he was wanting crazy money.

Totally agree...Muir = terrible...we are better by getting him off our roster. CJ also just isn't that good. Losing him is not that big of a deal imo. Link can step in to start the season and then our two rookies should be good to go no later than the bye week. I wish we could've kept Session, but Jax overpaid so whatever.

Difference between 16 and 23 is HUGE! Heck Mark Sanchez costs the Jet 14 million...so a 16 million cap number for Peyton is pretty good. As for the guys mentioned to replace...Hayden, Sanders, and CJ were all hurt for much of last year, so replacing their production from last year shouldn't be that difficult.

We have lost the following veterans this offseason (am I missing anyone significant)

1. Bob Sanders

2. Clint Session

3. Charlie Johnson

4. Kelvin Hayden

5. Daniel Muir

What is the game plan for replacement? Without signing Johnson we are under the cap. What will we do with the little cap room we have left?

You be surprised how much space we've gained. Sanders = +5M, Session = +600K, Johnson = +2 to 3M, Kelvin Hayden = + 9M, Muir = +500K, That's about 16M to 17M, then you minus 4M because of Manning's contract. Then you have Diem's paycut, which is +1M. Joseph Addai is probably -3M. Then you have Devan, and all those other guys, which is probably about - 1M in cap space. This leaves us with around 9 - 10M dollars in extra cap space. I don't know how much we had beforehand, but we're definitely in the green this time around.

I wouldn't say Hayden was mediocre, but he certainly didn't deserve what he was getting paid. We will be fine. Every year, we have talented players leave Indy and people think it's the end of the franchise, but we still perform well.

colts still haven't recovered from the retirement of glenn and the loss of jake scott to free agency....

16, 23....whatever. lol

Point being, we pay out the rear for Manning and Freeney and this has much to do with our inability to keep FA's.

We can't afford Manning and Freeney, but the Patriots can afford, for instance, Brady and Mankins at the same money? If there's a problem with the way we pay players, it's decidedly NOT with Manning and Freeney. It's with guys like Bob Sanders, Kelvin Hayden, etc., who don't live up to their contracts.

We can't afford Manning and Freeney, but the Patriots can afford, for instance, Brady and Mankins at the same money? If there's a problem with the way we pay players, it's decidedly NOT with Manning and Freeney. It's with guys like Bob Sanders, Kelvin Hayden, etc., who don't live up to their contracts.

+1 ... Agreed I hate this excuse; it's not like we are the only team with multiple VERY high paid players.

colts still haven't recovered from the retirement of glenn and the loss of jake scott to free agency....

True. I liked Jake Scott and wished he would have stayed, but he wanted too much money. As for Glenn, Ugoh did pretty well in his rookie year, but then stopped trying and our LT spot has been iffy ever since. CJ did a solid job, but he is gone too. Castonzo should be able to come in and start right from day 1 and be in there for the next 10+ years.

16, 23....whatever. lol

Um...well. Let's see. How much does a top tier QB cost these days in the NFL? How many teams get to the Superbowl without a top tier QB? How many top tier QBs publicly state that they want a lower value contract to ensure that the team can keep as many important play-makers as possible?

You're making it sound like Peyton's contract is unconscionably high or unusual for his position and stature - when it is not.

Um...well. Let's see. How much does a top tier QB cost these days in the NFL? How many teams get to the Superbowl without a top tier QB? How many top tier QBs publicly state that they want a lower value contract to ensure that the team can keep as many important play-makers as possible?

You're making it sound like Peyton's contract is unconscionably high or unusual for his position and stature - when it is not.

I agree with you thats great what Peyton did, now I hope they do something good with the remaining cap space.

1. Bob Sanders

2. Clint Session

3. Charlie Johnson

4. Kelvin Hayden

5. Daniel Muir

I'll take your Bob Sanders and raise you any player that can play 2 snaps. I'll take your Clint Session and raise or equal you with Ernie Sims. I'll take your CJ and raise you 2 talented rookies. I'll take your Hayden and raise you one of the plethora of CBs that will be on our roster. I'll take your Muir and raise you a basket of fries from Penn Station.