Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on the O- line?

buck_hunter21

What was your guys thoughts on the O- line today? It seemed like they did a pretty good job keeping pressure away from the QB. I almost think the way Hasselbeck got the ball out quickly played a bigger role in the O-lines success. I know Andrew holds the ball longer because he goes down the field way more often than we did today, but man it sure was nice seeing the QB not get annihilated every time they drop back. 

KH failed to pick up the stunt twice in the 2nd half. Other than one blitz, I think that was the extent of the pressures/sacks until about 2 minutes left in the game.

The last two drives with the game on the line and deep in our territory, we came out in the shotgun both times, got pressure, and basically went three and out.

They struggle in obvious pass situations, like the shotgun (since we run it little from that formation), and they struggle in obvious run formations, like when the RB is directly in back of the QB, since we hardly ever throw it from that formation.

The big play to Fleener in OT was from under center.

It was the Jags...

This is simply untrue. The Jags have a pretty good line. Better than the Tennessee line we saw last week and struggled against.

They looked better as a whole today. We were still giving up a lot of ground on the right tackle side, but we weren't getting beaten a whole lot over there. 

Run blocking was abysmal, but the pass protection was better.

But we are still way too weak against blitzes up the middle. 

Holmes had some rough patches and allowed pressure up the middle from Clemons twice. The run blocking was not even close to as good as last week, but Jags were playing run most of the game. Pass protection wise I thought we were solid for the most part other than Holmes two mistakes. I believe the quick passes of MH helped the O-Line significantly, and I hope Pep takes some notes from today to use in our gameplan with Luck.

It was the Jags...still they looked way better than in first 3 weeks.

Stop saying that, they have a solid defense. Just Matt was better. Luck would've got killed. He holds the ball too long & Pep insists on making him go back to the Arians days throwing 50 yard passes

Where was that WR reverse at? It was a whole new playbook today. Luck needs that offense that Matt had today, Pep out here sabotaging Luck

Stop saying that, they have a solid defense. Just Matt was better. Luck would've got killed. He holds the ball too long & Pep insists on making him go back to the Arians days throwing 50 yard passes

Where was that WR reverse at? It was a whole new playbook today. Luck needs that offense that Matt had today, Pep out here sabotaging Luck

Deep shots can be great, I believe if you have a QB who throws a good deep ball and fast receivers like we do then you should take at least 1 deep shot once every quarter... But making mid-range to deep throws your bread and butter? Not a good idea. 

I'm not sure if its OL line improvement or better playcalling to take pressure off them. Seemed to be alot more shorter , quicke passes. Just what we've been wanting.

Matt H gets rid of the ball quickly.

Could Luck be contributing to poor OL play? Is he skipping over shorter open passes in his reads? If Luck can play the type of game Matt did, i think we'd see improvement instantly.

I'm not sure if its mainly OL, playcalling, or Luck. I would think a healthy combination of all.

I did not get to see the whole game but I understand that there were three sacks. Not to mention the sac that was called back on face-masking. I don't know how you call that good play considering the play calling probably prevented more sacks. Luck is doomed behind this line. Period.

They were solid at times. At least they cut down on the penalties.  They still missed to many assignments against the blitz.  They seem to get better as the game wore on.  The Jags have a decent DL and they completely shut down the Colts running game in the 1st half.

I've been saying ALL the long it's COACHING and Pep's playcalling. The o-line is not good but is SERVICEABLE. I don't know how many times I heard the commentators say the Colts were running a different offense for the 40yr old Matt and not the one ran for Luck. Why? In their minds Luck has the size to withstand the shots like big Ben in the pocket. A quick passing game will not only help Luck but the o-line as well like today's game showed. Matt benefitted from a gameplan designed to protect his 40yr old body and the coaches need to do the same for the franchise qb.

Same group needs to stay in and continue to jell. The interior will improve even more if we just leave this same group in and continue to jell. Let them get used to communicating and working together. Have to keep in mind that this is a young group inside and they haven't even played much together. There will be some ups and downs but I think they'll be solid the more they play together.

Hard to tell if they played better, the Jags are just that bad or Matt just got ride of the ball a lot quicker than Luck was doing.

They have a good D line though. A lot of it was the short passes but there were multiple instances of good protection along with some hickups here and there on blitz and twists. Penalties were way down and I enjoyed.

Luck was playing the same offense in the 4th quarter against Tennessee. 

Holmes had some rough patches and allowed pressure up the middle from Clemons twice. The run blocking was not even close to as good as last week, but Jags were playing run most of the game. Pass protection wise I thought we were solid for the most part other than Holmes two mistakes. I believe the quick passes of MH helped the O-Line significantly, and I hope Pep takes some notes from today to use in our gameplan with Luck.

I didn't see the game so, this comment is just regarding your post.  I just wanted to point out that MH dropped back 47 times, if Holmes made two mistakes that is a 95% grade for pass blocking.  That is really good.