Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe We Should Keep Caldwell.

Why is there some magic clenser with firing the coach that makes everyting better?

WE know why we were 2-14 and it has nothing to do with Jim Caldwell.

Let him finish his contract...and lets address our on field problems.

the Colts are loyal to their people..

As long as Caldwell does NOT get to call timeouts, I'm OK with keeping him.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just once I would like to see him defer the coin toss.

It's certainly not normal or common for anyone, yet I'm pretty sure that he has done it.

I like it when the Colts get the ball the start the second half when Peyton is playing because they often seem to be making a good run at the end of the second quarter, and getting the ball first in the third can serve to take control of the game. This past season it would have served no good purpose. We needed every chance possible to control the clock and take the lead.

Thats why we always receive the opening kick.

If we win the toss, Caldwell receives.

If we lose, the other coach defers.

"Always" is a long time. There seemed to be a trend with that late this season, but as I said the Colts were in no position to benefit from getting it first in the second half anyway. It certainly wasn't common in previous years, and I haven't watched the beginning of any non-Colts games this year so I have no idea who else is defferring. But I'm pretty sure that once or twice in his first two years Caldwell deferred. He might have made the decision based on field conditions or something - not the fact that the Colts do well when they start the second half with the ball - but he still did it (I think - the mind is going after all).

-----

I believe that the kickoff rule change has impacted this.

Edited by MAC

A few years back the NFL changed the rule and that made it possible to defer to second half.

I watched every game. I think Caldwell did it once.

Dungy never defered.

But this past year, the Colts rarely scored on the opening drive.

So why not get the ball to start the second half?

If you watch the playoff games Sunday. I bet in both games the teams that win the toss will defer.

Its the thing to do. Even in college and high school.

I watched every game. I think maybe he did it once.

But this past year, the Colts rarely scored on the opening drive.

So why not get the ball to start the second half?

If you watch the playoff games Sunday. I bet in both games the teams that win the toss will defer.

Its the thing to do. Even in college and high school.

Maybe he didnt have faith in the defense and he was trying to avoid that pass rush that comes with the oppositions lead. Hard enough trying to jumpstart new QB and a struggling offense without heat in your face every play.

To me its simple.

I would rather have the ball to start the second half.

When its closer to crunch time.

You must have a good defense.

I pay zero attention to who won the toss, and what they do with it, but I'm guessing it varies with team strength or philosophy.

I'm guessing teams would lean towards having their strongest unit on the field first, and set the tone for the game.

Over the past decade+ the Colts philosophy has been to score early, build a good lead and turn the DEs on the opposing offense.

I'd expect them not to defer with that philosophy.

You must have a good defense.

I pay zero attention to who won the toss, and what they do with it, but I'm guessing it varies with team strength or philosophy.

I'm guessing teams would lean towards having their strongest unit on the field first, and set the tone for the game.

Over the past decade+ the Colts philosophy has been to score early, build a good lead and turn the DEs on the opposing offense.

I'd expect them not to defer with that philosophy.

You're exactly right.But personally,i would always defer.I would want my 'D'(we can't do that however) to set the tempo of the game.Then,if we had a lead,i would try to substain a long time consuming drive after the half.I really hope we can improve our defensive unit next year.

You're exactly right.But personally,i would always defer.I would want my 'D'(we can't do that however) to set the tempo of the game.Then,if we had a lead,i would try to substain a long time consuming drive after the half.I really hope we can improve our defensive unit next year.

The fans are really cranked and noisy at the beginning of the game. If we go on offense first, the crowd is taken out of the game until that series is done.

If we go on defense first, the crowd is REALLY rowdy, sometimes you can't even talk to the person next to you without shouting. It has an effect. LOTS of teams have been forced to burn a timeout if they get anywhere near the red zone in our endzone.

When on offense you can hear a pin drop in there before the snap...

It's really FUN !!!