Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe We Should Keep Caldwell.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So starting 0 and 13 is acceptable, right there would be justice to fire any coach.

Not acceptable. No one said it was.

And no one said fans couldn't voice frustration. But the extent of our frustration and what is legitimate, constructive criticism and what is over the top speculation is what I question.

I can't put all my frustrations entirely on Caldwell's shoulders or say it's because of his lack of leadership.

The 11th hour and 59th minute decision that Manning would not be playing, the closeness of many of the games, the extent of other players' injuries, and the continued unity and team improvements despite adversity should be factors when looking at the 0-13 start of the season.

I consider this season a glitch. Not a trend. Apologies to Mr. Irsay, but a season like this was overdue. We have been in the rebuilding process for months already. And if we can get Manning another SB ring (which I believe is possible), I will credit Coach Caldwell for keeping the ship afloat and moving forward. Not at a speed we're happy with, but forward.

And no one said fans couldn't voice frustration. But the extent of our frustration and what is legitimate, constructive criticism and what is over the top speculation is what I question.

I can't put all my frustrations entirely on Caldwell's shoulders or say it's because of his lack of leadership.

The 11th hour and 59th minute decision that Manning would not be playing, the closeness of many of the games, the extent of other players' injuries, and the continued unity and team improvements despite adversity should be factors when looking at the 0-13 start of the season.

I consider this season a glitch. Not a trend. Apologies to Mr. Irsay, but a season like this was overdue. We have been in the rebuilding process for months already. And if we can get Manning another SB ring (which I believe is possible), I will credit Coach Caldwell for keeping the ship afloat and moving forward. Not at a speed we're happy with, but forward.

:applause:

Agreed.

Well put.

You cant put all of your frustations on Caldwell, but you DO believe he is part of the problem? There was no one single factor that led the Colts down this road, everyone knows that, but the injuries were virtually non-existent outside of #18 so you cannot 'blame' those.

The closness of the games??!! We lost by 27,8,3,7,4,10,55,17,24,14,8,7,14, and 6. We lost 7 games by double digits. Several of the games Clev/NE/Car we got severe garbage time points....

Continued unity? This was one of the first years in as long as I can remember that this team has not been 'united'.... Between the early season Peyton stuff, the early Collins signing, The Tyron incident, Reggies comments etc. I cant remember a season in which I've heard so many negative things coming from players and FO at 56th.......

There was no one single factor that led the Colts down this road, everyone knows that, but the injuries were virtually non-existent outside of #18 so you cannot 'blame' those.

First day starters on injured reserve, not counting Manning:

Gary Brackett

Melvin Bullit

Jerraud Powers

Philip Wheeler

Key reserves on injured reserve:

Drake Nevis

Eric Foster

Ben Ijalana

Blair White

By my count, that is 8 key players lost to injuries beyond Manning. Manning's loss made losing these guys even more serious than it would have been if he had been playing.

First day starters on injured reserve, not counting Manning:

Gary Brackett

Melvin Bullit

Jerraud Powers

Philip Wheeler

Key reserves on injured reserve:

Drake Nevis

Eric Foster

Ben Ijalana

Blair White

By my count, that is 8 key players lost to injuries beyond Manning. Manning's loss made losing these guys even more serious than it would have been if he had been playing.

Brackett? Angerer is better.

Bullet? Hasn't played in 2 years.

Powers? Wasn't that like week 13?

Wheeler? Wasn't that like week 15?

Reserves? Foster? White? Yea those were some pretty pivotal personal loses. Sarcasm.

Brackett? Angerer is better.

Bullet? Hasn't played in 2 years.

Powers? Wasn't that like week 13?

Wheeler? Wasn't that like week 15?

Reserves? Foster? White? Yea those were some pretty pivotal personal loses. Sarcasm.

Exactly. And injuries shouldn't be a scapegoat for 2-14. Several teams this year have just as many some more and they aren't 2-14. Packers won super bowl last year with some if their best players on IR. texans lost two best offensive players this year. Patriots are injured all over the place. Caldwell in my opinion. Shouldn't be a nfl head coach and once the new gm let's him go he won't be a HC anywhere in the nfl.

Caldwell is by all accounts an incredibly intelligent man and a fantastic motivator. His players love and respect him. That counts for a lot. The "best" coach in the world can't win if he loses the locker room.

But the 2011 Colts had some real problems that rest on Caldwell:

• Inability to build an offensive gameplan around anyone but Peyton. None of the three backup QBs were able to run Peyton's offense effectively and the coaches absolutely should have known that.
  • Overly conservative play calling and game management. Playing conservative only helps you meet your potential. That wasn't good enough with this year's talent level; they needed to exceed their potential.
  • Mis-use of Donald Brown. The guy finally starts to break out only to be stuffed back down into the RB committee. Why? It doesn't make sense.
  • Same for Anthony Gonzalez. Dude was a beast his first year and he's finally healthy again. Why is he the Invisible Man?

Caldwell strikes me as an excellent assistant but a medium-poor head coach. Unfortunately that wasn't clear until he got a shot at the head coach job. I wish we could have him back as an assistant but that won't work now, too bad.

Irsay is letting the next GM fire Caldwell so that it's about the new boss wanting his own guy. He wants Caldwell to find a good job somewhere else without being too tarnished by this stinker season. It's a very graceful move and I applaud it.

Stoic and calm ? Super emotional in life ? We're talking about football, not all situations in life.

Anybody who has ever played competitive football will agree that football is a very emotional, as well as a very physical game. The head coach must be a leader and motivator, one who sets the examples for his players. At the high school & college levels, coaches are "teaching" football skills in addition to being motivators and strategists. By the time players are at the pro level, they have learned most of their football skills and coaches are doing much more motivating and strategizing than they are teaching technique & skills to their players.

Caldwell's comments after each loss "we've got to get better" (ya think ?!) "we made some improvements" (really?). "I think we played well today"(you think so ?). Does this fire up his players and motivate them to win ? Does the front office set their goals on "improving"?... When is Caldwell, after a loss, going to say "we didn't get the job done, we we're terrible today". Where is his speech about winning ? His players follow his attitude, demeanor and intensity. If he's calm, they're calm. If he's happy with their progress, they'll never rise above & beyond that level. This game is about winning. NFL coaches need to display and excercise that intensity and emotion toward winning if they expect their players to follow. Jump up & down, scream at the refs once in a while, fire up your players on the sideline.

110% agree with you here. The HC is the leader of the team. When he gets fired up, the team gets fired up.

And you hit the nail on the head with the post game interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlLHeT4v38M

This is a link of Mike Tomlin after a loss to the Eagles. IMO Tomlin is a phenominal coach. Great motivator, knows his stuff. And that's obvious with his success. But that right there is what you need out of a head coach. Something to motivate your guys work harder and come out stronger next week. He's not sympathetic towards the players and acknowledges that the Steelers needed to do a better job. He's not saying "Oh we played a good game but fell a little short." He, on behalf of the players, takes responsibility for that loss and flat out says that they need to do a better job. It's that emotion and intensity that Caldwell lacks.

Because...???

Just tellin' it like it is.

Exactly. I even heard today maybe Irsay is keeping Jim so when new gm comes in he can automatically bring his guy in and not have to bring someone else in to meet the rooney rule. Complete speculation I heard it on jmv

Exactly. I even heard today maybe Irsay is keeping Jim so when new gm comes in he can automatically bring his guy in and not have to bring someone else in to meet the rooney rule. Complete speculation I heard it on jmv

I'm not so sure that solves the Rooney rule. Any interview would have to occur after the position is vacated. It might satisfy it with the new GM meeting with Caldwell, but I don't see how.

I'm not so sure that solves the Rooney rule. Any interview would have to occur after the position is vacated. It might satisfy it with the new GM meeting with Caldwell, but I don't see how.

They said meeting with Caldwell would meat requirements cause he would be interviewed in a sense.

Just no need to bring race into this discussion.

You are aware of Dungy's self avowed agenda to promote as many minorities into positions of managment in the NFL as possible, right? Not my words, HIS, on national TV, more than once. HE brought it up, not me. Don't even begin to think Caldwell got his job as Head Coach of the Colts because of his outstanding ability as a head coach. There's high school football coaches with more ability than that.

You are aware of Dungy's self avowed agenda to promote as many minorities into positions of managment in the NFL as possible, right? Not my words, HIS, on national TV, more than once. HE brought it up, not me. Don't even begin to think Caldwell got his job as Head Coach of the Colts because of his outstanding ability as a head coach. There's high school football coaches with more ability than that.

Speaking the truth

I couldn't find a quote but if you can find one, present it.

But if that is his agenda, then he should be called out on it. It promotes discrimination and racism.

I couldn't find a quote but if you can find one, present it.

But if that is his agenda, then he should be called out on it. It promotes discrimination and racism.

Hahahahahaha....ever work for a major corporation? 25 years ago they established a POLICY of promoting minorities over non-minorities. Pull your head out of the sand, it's the USA, it's today, it's the real world. Are you DN in disquise? She talked like that.

How do you think we got Caldwell as HC to start with, because he was a great coach?....riiiiiiight.

After all its not entirely his fault.He had to work with what our former GM(The twoheaded polians)gave him.And now he should be able to gain his freedom from the puppetmaster.I also believe that peyton has a very strong relationship with Jim(Caldwell),if i'm not mistaken.So it could've been another reason that the polians were fired.I think caldwell as coach;tressel as 'OC' and either murphy or another as 'DC' sounds okay to me.But we need a solid ST'S coach.I'm not in favor of a complete overhaul this late in manning's career.However,with that being said,we must change our defense and become younger and more aggressive.We need a defensive minded GM with a knack for scouting defensive talent.And with this draft a new GM could feast with all our picks(after the 1# overall trade)and totally give it a facelift.We must become bigger,stronger and more aggressive on 'D'.I wouldn't retain mathis,diem,brackett,bullit or wheeler.I would also either trade or cut freeney(i like him alot).His caphit is huge and he doesn't play everydown,so 19 million is far too much IMO.We must draft smart this time around,because it will change the course of our team.

I'd like to keep Jim Caldwell as the quarterbacks coach like he was under Tony Dungy. The players and Bill Polian respect him.

I'd like to keep Jim Caldwell as the quarterbacks coach like he was under Tony Dungy. The players and Bill Polian respect him.

I mean, I can see what your saying, but it will never work out like that. I understand that everyone likes the guy (Polian doesn't really matter anymore), but liking someone, and completing the duties your paid to perform are two different things. Just because hes a nice guy doesn't equal automatic employment. At least it shouldn't. And I highly doubt he would be kept on staff, but Jim will not be hired as a HC/DC/OC and if he is going to work in NFL again, then it will be in a much smaller role, the QB coach or something along those lines.

Hahahahahaha....ever work for a major corporation? 25 years ago they established a POLICY of promoting minorities over non-minorities. Pull your head out of the sand, it's the USA, it's today, it's the real world. Are you DN in disquise? She talked like that.

How do you think we got Caldwell as HC to start with, because he was a great coach?....riiiiiiight.

First of all, what does affirmative action has to do with football? I am not going to get into a debate about the pros and cons of affirmative action because this is a FOOTBALL forum. But It sounds like you have some type of anger inside of you so I'm going to drop the discussion. Am I Dn? No, are you angry and pulling the race card, sounds like it. If you weren't so "angry", you would have seen I agreed with you, but I only wanted proof to see it for myself.

And please, do not tell me to "pull my head out of the sand". I take that as an insult. I am an US citizen (have been ever since I was born) and college educated. I am aware of the history of our country.

And please do not reply. I don't want this to turn into an argument and the mods have to step in.

First of all, what does affirmative action has to do with football? I am not going to get into a debate about the pros and cons of affirmative action because this is a FOOTBALL forum. But It sounds like you have some type of anger inside of you so I'm going to drop the discussion. Am I Dn? No, are you angry and pulling the race card, sounds like it. If you weren't so "angry", you would have seen I agreed with you, but I only wanted proof to see it for myself.

And please, do not tell me to "pull my head out of the sand". I take that as an insult. I am an US citizen (have been ever since I was born) and college educated. I am aware of the history of our country.

And please do not reply. I don't want this to turn into an argument and the mods have to step in.

No anger, no agenda, not my card, just tellin' it like it is...

I mean, I can see what your saying, but it will never work out like that. I understand that everyone likes the guy (Polian doesn't really matter anymore), but liking someone, and completing the duties your paid to perform are two different things. Just because hes a nice guy doesn't equal automatic employment. At least it shouldn't. And I highly doubt he would be kept on staff, but Jim will not be hired as a HC/DC/OC and if he is going to work in NFL again, then it will be in a much smaller role, the QB coach or something along those lines.

Yeah I said quarterbacks coach, the position he held under Tony Dungy.

I am a big Caldwell fan and was very disappointed in him as a coach this year. I think he did some good things, just too late. I thought hiring Coyer was a mistake in the first place so I was glad to see him get the axe in mid season, but it should have happened after the Tampa game where Coyer's play calling was the biggest reason the Colts lost that game. I think getting rid of Ray R was good but again it should have happened after the first time a returner brought the ball out from 9 yards deep in the endzone because he knew he would at least get the 25 before a Colt player touched him.

With the situation being what it is, I wonder how much Caldwell wanted to do but Polian(either Bill or Chris) wouldn't let him from coaches to players. I won't be surprised if a new GM comes in and brings in a new coach. I also won't be surprised if a new GM comes in and retains Caldwell for a season or 2. The fact is, he took a team that had been bounced from the playoffs in the 1st round for two years (one year by an 8-8 team) and took them to the SB and made a larger portion of the fan base angry because he didn't try to go undefeated.

That being said there are some positives that can be taken from this year.

AC - Is going to be an awesome LT. After watching the Pats (5 or 6 games) and the Cowboys(4 or 5 games) AC was the best tackle taken in the draft in 2011.

If the Colts develop a D that doesn't require the MIKE to drop back on every play, Angerer will be considered one of the top MLB next year.

Rucker is a player at CB.

Brown finally showed that he is worthy of a first round pick. The last quarter of the season he was running hard, being decisive in his cuts and while his blocking is still not good he at least went to the correct area and got in front of the defender.

If Carter learns how to hold onto the ball he is going to be an excellent part of a 1-2 attack

Conner is going to be a good LB for a long time.

Sims finally started to understand his role in the D and played well at the end of the season.

Jamaal Anderson has a good future as a role player with the Colts.

I think getting rid of Ray R was good but again it should have happened after the first time a returner brought the ball out from 9 yards deep in the endzone because he knew he would at least get the 25 before a Colt player touched him.

Or the 10th time that Lefeged tried to bring the ball out of the endzone having no reasonable expectation of getting much past the 12. How hard is it to say "we can't block for you, just down it in the end zone EVERY chance you get". They seem to have mastered this eventually but it took way too long.

From Phil B today:

http://blogs.indysta...cting-the-mess/

We move to another asterisk to make a point not known by many outside the organization. I had serious questions that the coaching staff listened to the players on in-game adjustments. At least three players questioned this during the year, all off the record, but they didn’t understand why the team prepared a certain way, then deviated from the game plan early and didn’t do what they practiced all week. Then there were times when the game plan wasn’t working, yet halftime meant nothing more than a chance to get something to drink, visit the bathroom, then just head back to the field and keep beating the proverbial helmet into the FieldTurf, expecting something to change. We all know the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting a different result. The guys who told us this stuff were playing, too, not just scrubs or backups who watched and wanted to get a reporter’s attention by saying something worth an eyebrow raise. We’ll cite another story to drive the point home that there was a serious disconnect between players and coaches (Mr. Irsay, I hope someone reads this stuff to you!). We all remember when Jamaal Anderson blocked a FG in the home game against Carolina. When the STs group met for film review, Anderson and his teammates couldn’t believe how the accomplishment seemed secondary importance to how the kick was blocked. Yeah, Anderson was told that the next time, he needed to block it a different way so the ball would bounce outside and give a teammate a chance to scoop and score. Three guys were shaking their head when re-telling that story or being asked about it. Anderson said he smirked when Rychleski said this, then said he would try to do better the next time.

Caldwell Great Coach.. Perfect for this team.

As Herm Edwards said.. "You are either coaching it or you are tolerating it". The quicker we get this bum out of the way the better.

AC - Is going to be an awesome LT. After watching the Pats (5 or 6 games) and the Cowboys(4 or 5 games) AC was the best tackle taken in the draft in 2011.

If the Colts develop a D that doesn't require the MIKE to drop back on every play, Angerer will be considered one of the top MLB next year.

Rucker is a player at CB.

Brown finally showed that he is worthy of a first round pick. The last quarter of the season he was running hard, being decisive in his cuts and while his blocking is still not good he at least went to the correct area and got in front of the defender.

If Carter learns how to hold onto the ball he is going to be an excellent part of a 1-2 attack

Conner is going to be a good LB for a long time.

Sims finally started to understand his role in the D and played well at the end of the season.

Jamaal Anderson has a good future as a role player with the Colts.

Pretty close, and I'd like to emphasize that Delome is one whale of a running back.

Could it not be that Caldwell did help Manning i hate the idea that Manning would of been able to become one of the best QB's ever without anyone's help even the greats need someone's help to reach their potential. I think Caldwell is an above average HC and all he needs as an good defensive co-ordinator to help him on the side of the ball he doesn't know as well (Spagnuolo, Raheem Morris or Tucker). He got us to a superbowl and it wasn't him that dropped those passes or threw those interceptions and no HC could of guessed the onside kick.