Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Extending The Contact Zone

Dustin

With the new rules in place to favor the pass, a new era has started in the NFL. An era where now just about anybody can throw for 4,000 yards (see Cam Newton). This has brought up an interesting topic by analysts and fans around the league.

They suggest that the only way that defense can even be a factor in the NFL again, is to extend the 5 yard zone that a Corner can "jam" a receiver. The popular consensus is that the old "bump and run" coverage is now non-existent because defenders get flagged when ever they touch a guy.

Many agree that a 7 yard window is a fair zone that a defender can actually use to make some sort of play.

But I take it a step further. I say we give the defenders a 9 yard window to jam a receiver.

With all of the new rules to favor offense, stopping any team is basically impossible, but a "Jam Zone" extension would change all of that and the league would be balanced on both sides of the ball.

What are your guys' thoughts on an possible extension of the contact zone?

I agree with you. Its just too much a passing league. Thats why I'm not as worried about NE's defense these days.

Ironically the 7 yard zone is what we used vs the colts in the 2003 AFCCG as the refs allowed a 5-7 yard cushion. Then the point of emphasis came to enforce at exactly 5 yards.

Some of the PI calls are bogus too where many are just incidental contact. Football should not be as dominant in passing.

I agree with you. Its just too much a passing league. Thats why I'm not as worried about NE's defense these days.

Ironically the 7 yard zone is what we used vs the colts in the 2003 AFCCG as the refs allowed a 5-7 yard cushion. Then the point of emphasis came to enforce at exactly 5 yards.

Some of the PI calls are bogus too where many are just incidental contact. Football should not be as dominant in passing.

I would make it 10 yards...Allow teams to defend like in the 70 s and 80s

I would also outlaw receivers and running backs from face masking the defender..which is legal...

Yup. Colts fans who are not happy with the current state of the NFL have Bill Polian to thank for that one!