Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Pep Hamilton's Play Calling?

ProblChld32

No, he most certainly has not.

If you don't think you can pass against a defense, then run the ball, which we just didn't do against both the Bills and the Jets, despite having some success when we tried. We act like play action or attacking the edge of the defense is forbidden. Against the blitz, we don't send hot receivers to the open areas. Luck can run Y Banana in his sleep, and we've called it twice in three games (both on the same drive last week).

I could keep going, but the point is that Pep has NOT called three good games. I agree that the execution has sucked, but we're not putting our best players in position to make plays. That falls on Pep.

Agreed! The only time the offense has looked good is in the 4th against Tenn when they finally started hitting some short rythm passes. Imo, he needs to go asap.

I will add that Pep did not commit the holding penalties that kept the Colts out of the endzone 3 weeks in a row.  He does not false start.....What I said is absolutely true.  How many more TDs did we leave on the field with the turnovers and penalties?

Pep calls horrible plays on blitzes?  Luck sees the blitz and he checks off if he knows where it is coming from.  Luck needs to not just look to TY...a swing to Gore...quit slants.  Yes this is what I expect out of whom some call an elite QB.

There is a whole lot of You said you said here for someone who does not even seem to be a Colts fan...but that is JMO.  I am ready for Sunday.  2-2 

"The same players got us to the AFCC game"

"Tired of hearing about the O-line"

Yeah, I'M the one that doesn't seem to be a Colts fan.

Ok, cool.

Three of the worst called games by a colts OC that I've seen in years. Even in the year we didn't have Peyton I don't recall such atrocious play calling (and it was bad at times then too) its like Pep has no idea what a short passing game is. Can someone tell him not every pass play needs to be 20 yards down the field?

I will add that Pep did not commit the holding penalties that kept the Colts out of the endzone 3 weeks in a row.  He does not false start.....What I said is absolutely true.  How many more TDs did we leave on the field with the turnovers and penalties?

Pep calls horrible plays on blitzes?  Luck sees the blitz and he checks off if he knows where it is coming from.  Luck needs to not just look to TY...a swing to Gore...quit slants.  Yes this is what I expect out of whom some call an elite QB.

There is a whole lot of You said you said here for someone who does not even seem to be a Colts fan...but that is JMO.  I am ready for Sunday.  2-2 

Agreed . IMO everyone should chill on the OL, give them the chance to gel again. Other than the penalties looked much better. Josh Robinson has no business on the field on 3rd down against a blitz and right now I personally like Varga better over all. Gore should be in on 3rd down JMO .

"The same players got us to the AFCC game"

"Tired of hearing about the O-line"

Yeah, I'M the one that doesn't seem to be a Colts fan.

Ok, cool.

Yes I am cool with what you said and what I said.  At least you made your point.  Others just say...He sucks and leave it at that.  I know how offenses work in the NFL, and also adept at recognizing blitz packages.

It is NOT all on the coordinators.  

no doubt...you figure week 1 was the first time the entire starting unit had any actual game reps against a live defense (other than their teammates)...week 1 and 2 were basically extensions of the Camp/PS for the starting unit...

for those whom would argue that reg season games being called "trial games" for the offense is bad strategy and getting behind 0-2 means that we are horrible and the front office needs gone now...why?

building to win NOW and Later....winning NOW does NOT mean 16-0, then super bowl champs...it ONLY means the end. Bringing in players like Johnson, Gore, Herremans, drafting Dorsett....these are win NOW factors...knowing it is only the ends that matter and not the means...sure you may drop to 0-2 against top 5 NFL defenses...BUT, you figure out the plays that work, the combos that work, the personnel package that work...

you can now take all the positives and negatives...and truly map out a plan for the ends goal being reached. Its a chess game. Sometimes you sacrifice a pawn to get in to position for the mate.

Any "fan" whom expected 40+ points out the gate, against the teams we played...these are "fans" whom only know the spectacle of football, and NOT the actual game. Its a 16 (19) week season...1 game at a time, but its still about the long haul.

"if they were to play either of those teams 6 weeks from now, we'd see VERY different results."

I like this post Coach Smoke. I've always seen the first two weeks as an extension of the preseason in some ways. You often see some of the most sloppy play during this time period. You can look at some of the players now and they have this look of "Okay we've knocked the rust off so now its time kick it into second gear". I'm expecting for guys to start getting in sinc from this point forward. Offensively we should be getting ready to break out soon as we get a feel for what works best.

Yes I am cool with what you said and what I said.  At least you made your point.  Others just say...He sucks and leaves it at that.  I know how offenses work in the NFL, and also adept at recognizing blitz packages.

It is NOT all on the coordinators.  

Yes executing  speaks volumes . :thmup:

11 penalties is a great way to win games too.  Did you see Manusky called for unnecessary roughness?  I think it was a player who did... :pokerface:  :scratch:  :dunno:

Felt we got homered a little on penalties , I seen a lot of holding on pass rush from Tenn. that went uncalled.

Felt we got homered a little on penalties , I seen a lot of holding on pass rush from Tenn. that went uncalled.

And we did not get the homer calls in our house.  The new refs need to learn what holding really is.  The ones on Thornton were awful except when he tackled his guy one time.   :)

Edited by BrentMc11

And we did not get the homer calls in our house.  The new refs need to learn what holding really is.  The ones on Thornton were awful except when the tackle his guy one time.   :)

Agreed :thmup: Think the OL we had was the best we have and will improve.

I like this post Coach Smoke. I've always seen the first two weeks as an extension of the preseason in some ways. You often see some of the most sloppy play during this time period. You can look at some of the players now and they have this look of "Okay we've knocked the rust off so now its time kick it into second gear". I'm expecting for guys to start getting in sinc from this point forward. Offensively we should be getting ready to break out soon as we get a feel for what works best.

right on man. i have very limited fears for this offense moving forward. The above bold says it best!

how many times in the 4th quarter last week did we say...yes, this is the Colts ive been waiting for! I kno at least I did on about 11-14 pass plays for over 100 yards and 2 TDs....not to mention the 6.1YPC from Gore.

but to repeat myself from my original posting.... we may be some of the few who actually understand the GAME of football..and NOT JUST the SPECTACLE lol.