Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 Most Likeable QBs

18Manning

If you think he is better than Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning then I know we shouldn't rely on anything else you think.

Who said better? Right now he is more accomplished with his 2 rings, 2 SB MVPs, 8-3 playoff record with the most road wins of any QB in the history of the game. Those are some big markers. By the time he is done playing, he will have 50,000+ yards passing, 300+ TDs. His resume is pretty tight especially if he adds another ring.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said better? Right now he is more accomplished with his 2 rings, 2 SB MVPs, 8-3 playoff record with the most road wins of any QB in the history of the game. Those are some big markers. By the time he is done playing, he will have 50,000+ yards passing, 300+ TDs. His resume is pretty tight especially if he adds another ring.

We're getting a bit off subject here (from the OP, me), but I'll put in my 2 cents. IMO, there's a lot more than just the number of rings a QB has that makes him great or not so great. Eli isn't even close to Peyton or Rodgers. Rings don't make a QB great. If Brady only had 2 rings, he would still be a great QB. The fact Peyton has only 1 ring doesn't mean he's not a great QB. Ring count is only a part of the equation.   

We're getting a bit off subject here (from the OP, me), but I'll put in my 2 cents. IMO, there's a lot more than just the number of rings a QB has that makes him great or not so great. Eli isn't even close to Peyton or Rodgers. Rings don't make a QB great. If Brady only had 2 rings, he would still be a great QB. The fact Peyton has only 1 ring doesn't mean he's not a great QB. Ring count is only a part of the equation.   

Yes, sorry to derail. Eli was being talked about so I just gave my opinion on him. We can just agree to disagree as I think he is a pretty solid QB in his own right aside from just his rings.

Back to topic ....

And yet I remember sometime last year you were saying he is not HOF worthy. Do you still maintain that stance?.

You still have 2 left Geno and Big Ben

Also, how is Alex Smith not likeable. He is a decent dude.

Btw, I like Big Ben, so I have no problems with him and would not put him on the not likeable list.  He is a gamer and does what is needed to win games.  Also, he is not about stats and does not mind having been on a team in the past that was run first with the runners getting TDs stats. 

I also do not have a problem with Geno either. 

Also, it is kind of tough to come up with five players that are not likeable.

I chose Alex Smith for one reason and a few for his sideline laughing incident and after game presser in a loss.   

btw, RG3 is not a starter.

And what do you have against Drew Brees?

And yet I remember sometime last year you were saying he is not HOF worthy. Do you still maintain that stance?.

I think he is unbelievably hard to rank overall. I had mentioned this to Superman on his QB rankings thread. He is kind of a Jekyll and Hyde QB but yet he has those two SB runs and MVPs. He also had pretty top notch seasons in 2011 and again last year. It is hard to know how much is him versus the team around him. For sure he had great defenses when he won his titles but has had equally worse teams when he has struggled as well. I believe he will get into the hall as his overall numbers will be plenty good enough in addition to the two rings and maybe more if he is able to add another championship.

It was his D Line that was murdering Brady in 07, plus the miracle play of a lifetime. The guy led the league in INTs a couple years ago and has made the playoffs 5 times in his career. I know you are only going off by playoff record but has he ever even earned a bye? I know Peyton has a losing record but if you include playoff byes as victories since you had to win 12+ games to get the bye you could argue counting a bye as a win further bolsters the resumes of the great quarterbacks of this past generation like Peyton, Brady, Ben. Again, Eli has done great 2 of the 5 times he made it, with two SB wins and 3 one and dones, but he's less than 50% in his career even making the playoffs. You said Eli was better than Peyton and Aaron Rodgers, I disagree.

Among starters only. . . 

Most likeable

P. Manning

Romo

Rodgers

Brees

Luck

Honorable Mentions: Newton, Bridgewater and Mariota

Least Likeable

Culter  

Winston  

Manziel

Rivers*

Stafford*

* With these two players I want to note that it is not anything they did, at least anything that is their fault, it more or less is an issue of IMO a complete lack of charisma in any form.  

The first 3 where easy the last two where a lot harder.  

It was his D Line that was murdering Brady in 07, plus the miracle play of a lifetime. The guy led the league in INTs a couple years ago and has made the playoffs 5 times in his career. I know you are only going off by playoff record but has he ever even earned a bye? I know Peyton has a losing record but if you include playoff byes as victories since you had to win 12+ games to get the bye you could argue counting a bye as a win further bolsters the resumes of the great quarterbacks of this past generation like Peyton, Brady, Ben. Again, Eli has done great 2 of the 5 times he made it, with two SB wins and 3 one and dones, but he's less than 50% in his career even making the playoffs. You said Eli was better than Peyton and Aaron Rodgers, I disagree.

Yeah, all valid points. I don't disagree. But what about if he gets a third ring? Then where do we put him?

I think he is unbelievably hard to rank overall. I had mentioned this to Superman on his QB rankings thread. He is kind of a Jekyll and Hyde QB but yet he has those two SB runs and MVPs. He also had pretty top notch seasons in 2011 and again last year. It is hard to know how much is him versus the team around him. For sure he had great defenses when he won his titles but has had equally worse teams when he has struggled as well. I believe he will get into the hall as his overall numbers will be plenty good enough in addition to the two rings and maybe more if he is able to add another championship.

To be fair I believe only one QB in NFL history has won 2 SB's as the starter and not made the hall of fame. . . So if he wasn't included then his absence from it would be highly notable even 20 years after he retires.

I think he'll likely get in but not first ballot.  And I think a big part of that has to do with the 2 miracle catches that he had in both SB's.  Also the fact that he beat the previously undefeated Patriots for one of those SB's.  

That's I think why he will be getting in because those things are highly highly memorable and it's not the hall of greatest players, it's the hall of FAME.  Memorable moments, players, and careers are what it's all about.  His SB's where just too memorable to leave him out.   

Quite frankly you can talk about stats and records all you want and it doesn't matter.  Those are just a few things that make a player memorable and being memorable is what gets you to the HoF.  With Eli stats are not going to send him to the HoF.  What's going to send him is the memorable moments in those SB's.  Especially that David Tyree helmet catch to defeat the previously undefeated Pats.  

That one moment jumped his HoF shot up from "unlikely" to "pretty good shot" and I think it solidified it when he won another SB with another big catch against the Pats.  He's not an obvious, slam dunk, first ballot guy. . . but eventually Eli gets in.  

Being a great player is only one way that a player becomes memorable.  Winning a bunch of SB's (Bradshaw) is huge. . . Winning a very memorable SB (Namath) can also get you in.

Eli's SB against the previously undefeated Pats is highly memorable (much in part thanks to the David Tyree catch) and he gets in based on that.  

If David Tyree had any sort of decent career outside of that helmet catch he would get in too.  You do have to have somewhat of a career outside of one moment and 54 Receptions for 650 yards and 4 TD's on your whole career doesn't cut it.  

Yeah, all valid points. I don't disagree. But what about if he gets a third ring? Then where do we put him?

If he gets a third ring he still isn't as good as his brother or Aaron Rodgers if its another flukey run like the previous two. He regularly misses the playoffs though and would have to do what Peyton and Rodgers do and that's make the playoffs every year and continue to win their divisions to ever supplant them in my mind.

My list is based upon what I perceive their personalities to be...not whether I am a fan of their team.

Likeable:

1. Romo :  "Arts and Crafts Tony Romo" is by far the best performance of any QB in a commercial. 

2. Rodgers

3. Manning

4. Luck

5. Wilson:  He's talked about too much, but that's not his fault.  A likeable guy on a dreadful team.

Unlikeable:

1. Brady:  How can you like a weak-gripped fraud who dumps it off all of the time?

2. Newton:  Dripping with arrogance...for absolutely no reason that justifies it.

3. Nobody

4. Nobody

5. Nobody

In the past, I'd put Rivers in the unlikeable list, but I think his performances justifiy his mouthiness, so its a wash there.  I like the fact that he has seven kids (all by the same wife) and reportedly would refuse to move to LA.  Obviously an athlete with the right priorities.

My list is based upon what I perceive their personalities to be...not whether I am a fan of their team.

Likeable:

1. Romo :  "Arts and Crafts Tony Romo" is by far the best performance of any QB in a commercial. 

2. Rodgers

3. Manning

4. Luck

5. Wilson:  He's talked about too much, but that's not his fault.  A likeable guy on a dreadful team.

Unlikeable:

1. Brady:  How can you like a weak-gripped fraud who dumps it off all of the time?

2. Newton:  Dripping with arrogance...for absolutely no reason that justifies it.

3. Nobody

4. Nobody

5. Nobody

In the past, I'd put Rivers in the unlikeable list, but I think his performances justifiy his mouthiness, so its a wash there.  I like the fact that he has seven kids (all by the same wife) and reportedly would refuse to move to LA.  Obviously an athlete with the right priorities.

LOL, "Arts and Crafts Tony Romo" is hilarious. He does a great job playing that part.

If you were to go on Facebook, or read the comments sections for ESPN and NFL.com, it looks like Luck would be put in the top five disliked QB category. There's a lot of resentment against him by other fans due to the media's coverage of him.

It's really hard for me to rate anyone. Like others, I don't have much of a hatred for any individual player.

There was a time way back, after Romo's famous botched snap in the playoffs, that he went onto the disliked QB ranking. Things are always subject to change! Big Ben and Vick were also in the top lists for many people a few years back, and since then the public opinion of them has gradually shifted.

If you were to go on Facebook, or read the comments sections for ESPN and NFL.com, it looks like Luck would be put in the top five disliked QB category. There's a lot of resentment against him by other fans due to the media's coverage of him.

It's really hard for me to rate anyone. Like others, I don't have much of a hatred for any individual player.

There was a time way back, after Romo's famous botched snap in the playoffs, that he went onto the disliked QB ranking. Things are always subject to change! Big Ben and Vick were also in the top lists for many people a few years back, and since then the public opinion of them has gradually shifted.

That's strange, but I can see that I suppose. I have many family and friends spread out across the country. They're all in the vicinity of various NFL teams and are big fans of those teams, but not one of them dislikes Peyton Manning. I don't think I would ever dislike someone because of the media's excessive coverage (assuming you mean excessive). I might dislike someone if that media coverage was to convey a negative image of the person, but not just because they're garnering more coverage.

I was talking to my dad the other day and commented about Rodgers. I said if you have to lose to someone, I wouldn't mind losing to him. We just happen to be watching a GB game. Rodgers is on my list of someone I perceive as likeable.

I don't care how much media coverage someone has, if I think they're a nice guy (likeable), I'm okay with that.

I guess the better way to have asked for the top 5 would be (and bottom 5), outside of football, who do you think would be the easiest to hang with? You know, come over, grill some steaks and hang out on the deck in the backyard.

Btw, I like Big Ben, so I have no problems with him and would not put him on the not likeable list.  He is a gamer and does what is needed to win games.  Also, he is not about stats and does not mind having been on a team in the past that was run first with the runners getting TDs stats. 

I also do not have a problem with Geno either. 

Also, it is kind of tough to come up with five players that are not likeable.

I chose Alex Smith for one reason and a few for his sideline laughing incident and after game presser in a loss.   

btw, RG3 is not a starter.

And what do you have against Drew Brees?

So your selection is not considering off field activities?

Why did you list Brees as one of your unlikable QBs?  I answered your question and you do not want to answer mine?

Jeez relax

I am going to answer. Just wanted to know on what basis you answered.

Brees, I don't like for how he handles himself and the bountygate didn't help

whats to hate about wilson? because hes dating this 

cimax3.jpg

Her musical potential has been totally destroyed ever since she began dating Mr. Abstinence. 

Don't expect to see her ever write another song like Body Party. 

Leave it to this forum to have a thread that dissolves into rating men for the arm candy they have and how it makes them REAL MEN to have girl friends. 

From what I have read, RG3 has been cursed with some unfortuitous circumstances.

He was injured and he is playing for the Redskins.

Wonder what would happen to Lucks career if he was benched after he struggled during the beginning of this year?

It wouldn't be very wise to bench a guy who led a rebuilt team to the playoffs his first three years in the league regardless how poor he plays in his fourth year. Luck would only sit out due to injury, regardless if he plays poorly all season. It would probably much worse with anyone else in there, which is an incredibly hard concept to imagine but yet it's a very factual one.

We all know Washintgon hasn't known how to run their organization for years. That being said Robert is his own demise with such reckless play. Such a small body running head first into defenders.

@Tsar, The Redskins actually had a better team on paper in RG3's rookie season compared to what we had. We still had Wayne and Mathis for leadership and Wayne played out of his mind but RG had a better Defense, better O.Line, and Alfred Morris. I think Luck could've been 12-4 that season with the Redskins, Shanahan is no slouch as a Coach either. Luck still took us to an 11-5 record despite RG3 having the better team on paper. RG3 was 9-6 that season missing 1 start. I honestly think Luck would be having the same career with the Redskins as he has with us, if not it would be close.

Her musical potential has been totally destroyed ever since she began dating Mr. Abstinence. 

Don't expect to see her ever write another song like Body Party. 

Leave it to this forum to have a thread that dissolves into rating men for the arm candy they have and how it makes them REAL MEN to have girl friends.

That wasn't the point at all. I was questioning what's to hate about Wilson and gave a suggestion because he doesn't seem like a person you would hate

That wasn't the point at all. I was questioning what's to hate about Wilson and gave a suggestion because he doesn't seem like a person you would hate

You could have made your point in a different way. That picture was not necessary. Thankfully that did not derail the thread.

As for your point, many Colts fans did not like Wilson even before he started dating his current girlfriend.

You could have made your point in a different way. That picture was not necessary. Thankfully that did not derail the thread.

As for your point, many Colts fans did not like Wilson even before he started dating his current girlfriend.

Hey there, not to further derail, but I am very interested to see if you Vikings can do something against that Denver D. How do you see the game going?

Hey there, not to further derail, but I am very interested to see if you Vikings can do something against that Denver D. How do you see the game going?

Denver will be 4-0. They aren't losing to Minnesota. Peyton over his career is the best QB I have ever seen in September and October, he now has a Defense that is playing Great too.