Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck still highest paid player?

BProland85

Even before the start of this year, I was cautious about people saying Luck will be the highest paid player in the NFL.  He definitely will be one of the highest paid players, but people seem to have already anointed him as deserving of the biggest contract.  Luck is a beast when he is "on" but he seems to be equally as bad when he is "off".  I see no reason to make him the highest paid player, but he should be towards the top of the food chain.

Because if you don't, Arizona will. 

Yes, if he were to hit free agency he would command a ton of money. But he wont get to that point, so he could still sign for a deal that is top 5 QB money, but not top overall money. I dont see Luck as the type that cares about being the top paid player, and if he underperforms this year, Irsay will have a little leverage in negotiations.

If his play as of late continues this season, should he be rewarded as the NFL's top paid player next offseason? I dont think it's a question he will be extended before the 2016 season, but he has got to improve upon his mistakes if he's to be paid like Aaron Rodgers.

So we disregard 3 years and look at 3 games?

Andrew doesn't have to do anything but be on the winning team

11-5, 11-5, 12-4 .... kinda speaks for itself

Taking this another route - what if things continue to go badly.  If you were Luck would you even sign a new contract with the Colts?  As things are going he will be spending another year behind a poor o-line.  The Colts might not have enough money to get him to stay.

Luck is getting outplayed by Derek Carr. Point is all these crazy figures came when people considered Luck a top 3 qb. Now its younger players who look better than him. I'd offer him a Romo/wilson deal.

You are looking at THREE games worth of stats.  He's been in the league a LOT longer than that, and his record is much better.  His decisions in these games haven't been great, but most of those INTs he is throwing under duress in some way shape or form.

There is no way, not one, that we're just going to try to give him that kind of deal.  The ONLY way that happens is if his agent approaches Irsay and says that is all he wants, and even then, Irsay is going to say that there is no way that happens.  He did the same with Manning if I recall.

There are still a lot of games left, and hopefully we get a our playcalling figured out to give Luck more relief during heavy blitz packages.