Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What To Do With The First Overall Pick [Mega-merge]

LUVTHESHOE

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe we will take luck depending on how Peyton health is at the draft. Regardless i think they want luck as the colts future leader and from his comments sounds like hes commited to getting a future franchise QB with his pick this year. Building for the future from this draft forward is my guess.

Why not sign Manning, draft Luck, then trade Manning for Cleveland's #4 pick and draft Blackmon? Luck to Blackmon would be golden for 10+ years.

You think we can't get anything for Manning?

think about it manning has what 3 good years left? maybe 4 if hes healthy. trading him would get us what a 1st and a 2nd round pick maybe if healthy when luck would get us 2 first round and a second on top of our second we already have THIS YEAR ALONE. and another 1st and 2nd next year. so yes we would get more for luck then manning well more for the 1st overall pick then manning. how they use it is their business.

So what's your argument here? That Andrew Luck is just as bad as Tom Brady? God forbid we end up drafting someone equal to Tom Brady! I'm sorry but most people in football have said he had an amazing game. 27/31 and 347 yards is good whatever way you look at it. I don't see how you can say otherwise.

Once you realize that some people here are MANNING fans well more than COLTS fan, it's easier to understand.

As such, you need to look at their post in that sense....To some, their Colts fandom will stop once Manning is no longer on the roster. There are people on here that talk like it's 100% certain that Manning will come back and be the same QB we've all known and loved in previous seasons. Nobody on this earth has any idea today, how Manning will play months down the line. Even, if he is deemed heatlhy on March 1st -- that doesn't mean he's going to be healthy after the 1st pre-season game or at various points throughout the season.

It is time to find the QB of the future (or present if that turns out to be the case)

Why not sign Manning, draft Luck, then trade Manning for Cleveland's #4 pick and draft Blackmon? Luck to Blackmon would be golden for 10+ years.

Because Manning is due 28mill on March 8th, if the Colts paid Manning 28mill then traded him, that would be a huge cap hit and would still hurt the franchise. Trading would be the worst thing because in any scenario the Colts have to pay him the 28mill bonus.

Those 'average' QB's winning championships all had stellar defenses or other variables the Colts don't have. You're contradicting yourself by thinking you can get to the SB with a 'beast wide receiver', 'rb' and a 'cb'. The Colts have had a very good offense for 12 or so years and only one SB to represent all that offensive firepower.

You're also assuming Luck will be a flop and these '3 -4 great players' won't. What if the Colts pass up on Luck and draft '3-4 great players' and they flop? Just playing devil's advocate here.

i really doubt blackmon flops. have you seen him play? they had in a video an average guy throwing him the ball and he caught EVERYTHING. even 3-4 yard behind him. we can pick up a QB in the late 1st round that is projected to go there and learn behind manning and the next few years draft the RB and CB. or whatever our little hearts desire for needs. who says luck wont flop and not only are we out of a pick (like ryan leaf was to teh chargers) but have no way of getting back the money we spent. with a WR that can catch anything thrown even towards him even an average to ok QB could just throw him the ball and hed catch it and do something with it. see what im saying? AS said in varsity blues "I'm just one man, not the team" unless you want to go back to how we are now one GOAT of a player and the rest of the team average to below average. which i dont want that again.

Once you realize that some people here are MANNING fans well more than COLTS fan, it's easier to understand.

As such, you need to look at their post in that sense....To some, their Colts fandom will stop once Manning is no longer on the roster. There are people on here that talk like it's 100% certain that Manning will come back and be the same QB we've all known and loved in previous seasons. Nobody on this earth has any idea today, how Manning will play months down the line. Even, if he is deemed heatlhy on March 1st -- that doesn't mean he's going to be healthy after the 1st pre-season game or at various points throughout the season.

It is time to find the QB of the future (or present if that turns out to be the case)

Guilty as charged. I'm out of here when Manning is :)

i really doubt blackmon flops. have you seen him play? they had in a video an average guy throwing him the ball and he caught EVERYTHING. even 3-4 yard behind him. we can pick up a QB in the late 1st round that is projected to go there and learn behind manning and the next few years draft the RB and CB. or whatever our little hearts desire for needs. who says luck wont flop and not only are we out of a pick (like ryan leaf was to teh chargers) but have no way of getting back the money we spent. with a WR that can catch anything thrown even towards him even an average to ok QB could just throw him the ball and hed catch it and do something with it. see what im saying? AS said in varsity blues "I'm just one man, not the team" unless you want to go back to how we are now one GOAT of a player and the rest of the team average to below average. which i dont want that again.

I get what you're saying but Andrew Luck isn't exactly throwing to stellar receivers and is still having a great college career. Also keep in mind Blackmon is playing against college corners so he looks great. Put Blackmon up against Revis or another top corner and i'm sure it won't look as easy. WR is not a problem for the Colts and never has been. The Colts had Harrison a HOF WR who caught everything, and only 1 SB to show for it.

lol you think you're going to get four 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks for the #1 overall pick? Keep dreaming. You would get two 1st round picks at the most for that trade, with some 2nd and 3rd rounders thrown in.

I think the Colts need to trade out of the #1 spot to get more picks to build their team, going for Luck would be a mistake in my opinion. They can always draft a QB in the later rounds that they can develop for a few years until Manning hangs it up, you don't need a bonified #1 overall pick to run your team.

Well 3 #1's and 2 #2's is apparently the minimum asking price for the Luck pick... I am not sure what I said that was so farfetched? Yet you agree with my logic? Lol

I get what you're saying but Andrew Luck isn't exactly throwing to stellar receivers and is still having a great college career. Also keep in mind Blackmon is playing against college corners so he looks great. Put Blackmon up against Revis or another top corner and i'm sure it won't look as easy. WR is not a problem for the Colts and never has been. The Colts had Harrison a HOF WR who caught everything, and only 1 SB to show for it.

actually he didnt catch everything plus marvin didnt have the verticle blackmon does. blackmon's vert is higher then plax's and plax is 4" taller. blackmon has hops and can easily jump over the majority of corners int he league including revis. hes also very physical and can move corners around. everyone has seen what a beast of a WR can do in the league. to me he is still more valuable then luck is to this team

Can Luck be successful without a strong running game in Indy?

I think hr needs a running game as much as any QB. I think he can be nearly as successful as Brady or Manning with similar running success. Could Brady and Manning be better with stronger running? Yes.

Well 3 #1's and 2 #2's is apparently the minimum asking price for the Luck pick... I am not sure what I said that was so farfetched? Yet you agree with my logic? Lol

thats just the minimum and depending on the hype and how bad a team wants him which i think will end up being a bidding war the colts could end up getting several 1st round picks the next 4-5 years at most.

actually he didnt catch everything plus marvin didnt have the verticle blackmon does. blackmon's vert is higher then plax's and plax is 4" taller. blackmon has hops and can easily jump over the majority of corners int he league including revis. hes also very physical and can move corners around. everyone has seen what a beast of a WR can do in the league. to me he is still more valuable then luck is to this team

Marvin didn't catch everything? Really? A HOF WR who had 143 catches in one season alone? I can hardly remember when Marvin dropped the ball. The Colts offense is built on crisp route running and chemistry with the QB. Not built on who has a really good vertical or who is the most physical.

No way. How many super bowls have the Chargers won with Rivers?

In my opinion it was an absurdly one sided deal. I love Eli and can't stand Rivers, but frankly Rivers has been just as good (and some would argue significantly better) if you consider the totality of their careers. And even if you disagree with that assessment, there is certainly a debate. So what happens when you throw in the other two players SD got in the deal?

Football is the ultimate team game. You need a good QB nowadays to win the SB, but both QBs are good, so what relevance is that? I always thought that the SB argument was simplistic, missleading, and flat out wrong when people used it to try and elevate Brady over Manning. How does it fit in any better here?

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, January 3, 2012 - duplicate quote
Hidden by shecolt, January 3, 2012 - duplicate quote

In my opinion it was an absurdly one sided deal. I love Eli and can't stand Rivers, but frankly Rivers has been just as good (and some would argue significantly better) if you consider the totality of their careers. And even if you disagree with that assessment, there is certainly a debate. So what happens when you throw in the other two players SD got in the deal?

Football is the ultimate team game. You need a good QB nowadays to win the SB, but both QBs are good, so what relevance is that? I always thought that the SB argument was simplistic, missleading, and flat out wrong when people used it to try and elevate Brady over Manning (or Montana over Marino for that matter). How does it fit in any better here?

No they didn't.

They didn't abstain due to competition within the team. They abstained due to indifference with the perspective franchises.

Whether the reasons were different or not, they were still vocal about there demands, that's what I want to point out, not their reasons. Andrew is not gonna suffer to just make his image look good. If he wants to sit, he will say no problem. If he doesn't, he will say I want to go on a team where I have an opportunity to compete for the starting job. It's pretty simple.

That doesn't make any sense, after all doesn't Polian do the opposite of what everyone thinks??????? Very possible Polian might see more in RGiii than Luck.

Weren't there rumors polian was interested in rg3??? Or was that someone on here making stuff up

Whether the reasons were different or not, they were still vocal about there demands, that's what I want to point out, not their reasons. Andrew is not gonna suffer to just make his image look good. If he wants to sit, he will say no problem. If he doesn't, he will say I want to go on a team where I have an opportunity to compete for the starting job. It's pretty simple.

I'm really referring to this stage in the process. As the draft rolls around, most likely after the draft, Luck would then present his issue with the team that selects him. For him or his agent to start piping about his disdain for the situation here, as of now, would be wholly unprofessional and it sure wouldn't look good to other teams that he wants to hand him a phat contract.

Weren't there rumors polian was interested in rg3??? Or was that someone on here making stuff up

I'm not actually sure, I'm just kind of basing on his history of doing the opposite of what people expect. He's not a very trendy guy, lol. However it wouldn't suprise me if he thought that RGiii would be a better choice. I'm not sure what's really going on in Polians mind. I think alot of people in all honesty think that RGiii is better. I wouldn't be unhappy if they could bring in RGiii + a wealth of other picks and traded Luck, but you could still argue that Robert is NFL ready as well and doesn't need to sit on the bench behind Manning for four years (if he comes back). I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle this offseason, there is still WAY to much time left.

Are you kidding? He was 27 for 31 347 YDS and 2 TDS. Even with that INT he finished with a 196 rating which is incredible in college football. He lead the team to a potentially game-winning FG as well. He played absolutely brilliant last night.

He did, he is calm, his arm is good, he can move well, very accurate, & very confident & determined to win & reads defenses well. He doesn't always set his feet & makes some mistakes but I was impressed!! Honestly he reminds me of Peyton only he moves better.

Here's how I see it: Manning never was about the money. If he's healthy he will restructure into a more cap/team/player friendly deal. He wanted to do that in the first place, and only ownership wanted to make him the highest paid player. His restructuring will allow us to keep guys like Mathis and Wayne, as well as keeping both Manning and Luck on the roster. Manning knows this is his team, he's the starter when he's ready to play, and ownership is behind him 110%, but he also knows that he's coming off of a serious injury, he's 35 soon to be 36, and he knows that the Colts have to plan for the future. I really don't see a scenario where Peyton doesn't come back unless he can't pass a physical. He is the ultimate team player, and knows that for the betterment of the franchise in the future we have to take Luck. Luck will play when Manning can't/retires.

The only problem I see with drafting luck is in Luck's attitude. But I really don't see an issue there, either. He is a college player who talks about how it's always been his dream to play in the NFL. Not, "It's always been my dream to play in New York." He wants to be an NFL player, he wants to be taken first, and if that means he has to learn behind arguably the greatest quarterback of all time before being handed the reigns to a prestigious and elite NFL franchise in a few years, then so be it. I think Luck wants to play right away, but that doesn't mean he's going to start his NFL career off by demanding a trade. He doesn't strike me as that kind of kid.

Here is something to keep in mind. Even if Manning is back and the Colts trade the #1 pick, they still need another QUALITY QB on the team. I think Manning's neck will be fine, but he is one injury away from another season like this year. So if you are going to bring in a quality QB, why not Andrew Luck??

I used to be against it, but I do believe Andrew Luck will go to the Colts and play behind Peyton Manning. The Colts would be foolish not to make that pick.

I honestly cannot believe people think we would not draft Luck. Yes, trading the pick would be a STELLAR idea if the best available athlete was Terrelle Pryor or somebody (which was a strong possibility before Pryor entered the Supplemental Draft). However, you simply do NOT pass up on a guy of Luck's caliber. Yes, I know, all prospects are unproven in the NFL, he could be a bust, etc. But the world is supposed to end this year too, right?

What I mean is, say what you will and speculate on what we do with that pick all you want, but Indy will NOT trade that pick away. As for Peyton, He restructured his contract before, as Irsay wanted to make him the highest paid player in the NFL over Brady. However, Peyton took less money so we could resign some veterans. Also, PEYTON was the one who structured the deal where Indy could opt out on the contract this March if his neck was not fully healed.

Jump to the TNF game vs. the Texans. We got our first win of the year that night, but before the game, Irsay sat with Eisen and the gang. He talked about Peyton's future a bit, and said that "if he's healthy, he will be in Indy next year". Personally, I don't believe that Irsay thinks money is an issue. The people who bring up Elway walking out on us need to remember something; Bob Irsay was a LOT more stingy with his money toward this franchise than Jim is. I have faith that Irsay will do everything in his power to keep Peyton AND Luck on this roster.

As for "sitting for 4 years", I do not see Peyton Manning playing FOOTBALL for another 4 years. The rehabilitation and healing process has been much slower than prevuiously anticipated (6-8 weeks). Also, Peyton, who will be 36 this Spring, has 2 kids now. I think that if he is healthy to play, he restructures his contract once more for 2 more seasons. If he is not 100% heathy, he retires from the game. He is the kind of guy who wants to devote 100% of his attention toward something; remember last season he delayed contract negotiations because he wanted to focus on the season. He would want to do the same for his young family in my opinion, especially after 3 neck surgeries.

After watching the Fiesta Bowl last night, it was SO obvious what sort of talent this kid Luck has. It would be a darnED shame to watch this kid in a Cleveland Browns uniform for the next 17 years. And I am SURE that a lot of the pundits on these forums who swear adamantly that we should trade the pick would be the same people complaining about what was lost, what we COULD have had.

Sorry for such a long post; hopefully you bore with me and agree with some of my points.

Agreed I don't see how you don't take a talent like that. The worst scenario could be what Peyton comes back healthy & plays 5 years & we trade Luck. Best scenario is Peyton healthy plays 2 or 3 years & Luck ready to go.I say take him weather or not Peyton's Healthy!! And to all you guys saying trade Peyton, it aint happening Irsay loves Peyton & wants him to retire a Colt.

At this point I have no desire on what Polian thought, said, or wanted more interested in what big J wants, and thinks

I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle this offseason, there is still WAY to much time left.

LOL Statement of the day... All this guessing is getting crazy... Everything we are saying is guessing... I will admit my hopes are thought process is on guessing Manning will be back.... I think if lots of people was honest with themselves their thoughts are just guess Manning will not be okay....

Biggest thing I think we all can agree on is why J pay 28 million to trade someone? Why would Manning change his contract to be traded... At this point him changing contract would be for us to trade him... Not sure about you all, but I don't know many people that if their boss came up to them said... Yeah we need to work out this situation with you check... See we want to replace you, but your current contract is well getting in the way, can you change this so we can get rid of you easier.... How many people would take that offer?

I hate hearing how Anti-Luck people are only Manning fans.... So many of the Luck lovers was hiding their LOVE stating we need to lose so we can get first pick to trade... Well here we are, and those same Luck lovers have forgotten all about their thoughts on wanting to trade, they just want to spit on the man that got us where we are today.

lets see take one great player or take 3-4 the next three years and build an actual team hmmmmm id take the latter of the two. give me a beast wide reciever, RB and CB over one hyped up QB any day. you can get a average qb to help win championships. and if anyone looks at the past 30 years there has been alot of average qb's winning the SB. so yeah taking luck will only put us back into the same situation were in now. one great player (maybe or he could be a ryan leaf in disguise) or we can have 3-4 great players hhmmm yeah ....

I do not want a average, game manager, QB.

Plus no one mentions the 3-4 extra players could bust. Heck if 1 of those extra picks busted I'd be mad. You don't trade franchise, highly skilled QBs for CBs and DTs.

I'm not actually sure, I'm just kind of basing on his history of doing the opposite of what people expect. He's not a very trendy guy, lol. However it wouldn't suprise me if he thought that RGiii would be a better choice. I'm not sure what's really going on in Polians mind. I think alot of people in all honesty think that RGiii is better. I wouldn't be unhappy if they could bring in RGiii + a wealth of other picks and traded Luck, but you could still argue that Robert is NFL ready as well and doesn't need to sit on the bench behind Manning for four years (if he comes back). I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle this offseason, there is still WAY to much time left.

Griffin isn't nfl ready

I don't share Whitlock's pessimism about the direction of the Colts organization, I guess. I could see Luck not wanting to come here because he didn't want to sit behind Manning, but not because he doesn't feel we will be very good for a while. Heck, isn't that the whole premise of the draft?

Exactly. The worst team gets the top (and theoretically, best) pick

Rumors are from an actual source close to the colts. Making stuff up is when u just say stuff to get people going.

you mean like when Irsay and Polian "rumored" that Peyton would be ready for the start of the 2011 season? Straight from the source or just made up?

..Firing the Polinas guarantees that Manning stays if he's healthy...

..and its so hard to tell about a college QB because they just dont play defense in college football

Nothings guranteed but with the way Irsay was talking peyton "could" be back but its not guaranteed at all. Matter fact irsay said he was worried.

I believe Irsay will trade the No. 1 pick in the draft for incredible value. The Colts will bring Peyton back with a pretty good re-vamped team next year. But in 3 or 4 years we won't have Manning, we won't have Luck, and our team will not be as good as it would have been if we took Luck and released Manning.

The one aspect that could change that is the Caldwell situation. Manning likes Caldwell, but Irsay wants to fire him. The Polians both liked Caldwell, and that's why they got fired. If Irsay really wants to fire Caldwell, and Peyton really doesn't like that idea, it could be the end of the road for Peyton in Indy. I think there is a compromise--Caldwell could go back to QB coach (I don't know if he would).

One more thing, it doesn't seem to me like the Colts picked up Jim Tressel so he could be the red flag guy for the rest of his career. I suggest that he could be a good head coach or GM.