Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What To Do With The First Overall Pick [Mega-merge]

LUVTHESHOE

I know there are some different threads about this, but lets keep it real! I feel as fans fans it is very selfish to expect to have our stud and the next one too. Luck is the absolute real deal and if you heard him interviewed last night you got the impression that he has no real interest in sitting two or three years and know one should expect him to. I hear Jim Irsay say the rebuilding and I much as I hate to believe it, I truly feel that seeing Peyton yelling at a ^fool^ic coach calling a ill advised timeout was the last we will see of him in a horseshoed helmet, but time will tell.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are some different threads about this, but lets keep it real! I feel as fans fans it is very selfish to expect to have our stud and the next one too. Luck is the absolute real deal and if you heard him interviewed last night you got the impression that he has no real interest in sitting two or three years and know one should expect him to. I hear Jim Irsay say the rebuilding and I much as I hate to believe it, I truly feel that seeing Peyton yelling at a ^fool^ic coach calling a ill advised timeout was the last we will see of him in a horseshoed helmet, but time will tell.

..Firing the Polinas guarantees that Manning stays if he's healthy...

..and its so hard to tell about a college QB because they just dont play defense in college football

I am one of the most pro-Luck guys around but I'd take Manning 100% of the time over him. I don't know what would be better for the future of this franchise and if I got my way we would carry both but if it was one or the other it's always #18 over #12.

To be fair, they should make me head coach. I'd stick both Manning and Luck on the field standing behind Jeff, keep it a secret who we're gonna snap it to :cool:

I don't think Luck is the STUD he is made out to be. I think he is a good QB who will be good in the NFL. Big Ben like... however I do agree with the OP that the Colts have to decide on Luck or Manning... I prefer Manning myself, Luck said he would sit, but he had such resentment in his tone, and does not want to sit for four years. He was saying that so that there aren't red flags and in the even the Colts were to trade the pick to say a team where Luck may compete for the starting gig and sit the first few games...So agreed, its one or the other, fans are niave to think both can and will co-exist..

I don't think Luck is the STUD he is made out to be. I think he is a good QB who will be good in the NFL. Big Ben like... however I do agree with the OP that the Colts have to decide on Luck or Manning... I prefer Manning myself, Luck said he would sit, but he had such resentment in his tone, and does not want to sit for four years. He was saying that so that there aren't red flags and in the even the Colts were to trade the pick to say a team where Luck may compete for the starting gig and sit the first few games...So agreed, its one or the other, fans are niave to think both can and will co-exist..

The fact that the polians' were canned is enough to end this 'DRAFT LUCK' nonsense.This is proof that LUCK isn't going to be a COLT after all.So you can go ahead prepare your mock with all the trade downs.I know i am.

The fact that the polians' were canned is enough to end this 'DRAFT LUCK' nonsense.This is proof that LUCK isn't going to be a COLT after all.So you can go ahead prepare your mock with all the trade downs.I know i am.

I am not as certain as you are.. When Irsay spoke on the NFL network before the thursday game I thought, maybe they trade the pick afterall... But with his recent rebuild mode comments, I think he would make the foolish mistake of having both on the team, hindering the Colts in both the short and long term... But why are you so confident? I need some hope they trade the pick! "haha"

I am not as certain as you are.. When Irsay spoke on the NFL network before the thursday game I thought, maybe they trade the pick afterall... But with his recent rebuild mode comments, I think he would make the foolish mistake of having both on the team, hindering the Colts in both the short and long term... But why are you so confident? I need some hope they trade the pick! " haha"

Because Jim(irsay)can't reveal his hand just yet.He knows that his whole "rebuild mode" will only drive that valued pick through-the-roof.In fact that little speech just squeezed out another 1# pick for us.After all is said and done,it might take a whole day to process exactly what we got in exchange for it.I'm guessing 8-10 picks and or players,such as j.haden,tj.ford,kerrigan,landry,ware,revis...depending on our trading partners.

Just throwing this out there... In my thoughts if I was going to rebuild say.... a model airplane... well I would want as many pieces of the airplane to try to rebuild it, not just one single piece.... Maybe what he means by not popular choice is to trade the pick for Luck to get more picks, to have more pieces to rebuild with... Replacing one player to me doesn't seem like rebuilding. Grabbing lots of picks, and filling holes that are all over the team... That seems like rebuilding to me, but I'm not an owner so no idea what he means, just taking my guess

Because Jim(irsay)can't reveal his hand just yet.He knows that his whole "rebuild mode" will only drive that valued pick through-the-roof.In fact that little speech just squeezed out another 1# pick for us.After all is said and done,it might take a whole day to process exactly what we got in exchange for it.I'm guessing 8-10 picks and or players,such as j.haden,tj.ford,kerrigan,landry,ware,revis...depending on our trading partners.

I think this move indicates the opposite, that the Colts will take Luck and foolishly keep both on the roster, and the players and fan favorites like Wayne and Mathis will be gone... To make cap space for Manning and Luck... I wanted the Polians gone! But Irsay's comments have me thinking he is going to make some bad decisions...

..Firing the Polinas guarantees that Manning stays if he's healthy...

..and its so hard to tell about a college QB because they just dont play defense in college football

How does it do that?

There are many very good NFL minds out there who believe that the Colts best bet is to begin the future right now. The next GM could very well believe that too.

Just throwing this out there... In my thoughts if I was going to rebuild say.... a model airplane... well I would want as many pieces of the airplane to try to rebuild it, not just one single piece.... Maybe what he means by not popular choice is to trade the pick for Luck to get more picks, to have more pieces to rebuild with... Replacing one player to me doesn't seem like rebuilding. Grabbing lots of picks, and filling holes that are all over the team... That seems like rebuilding to me, but I'm not an owner so no idea what he means, just taking my guess

I hope you are right! We know what side I am on.. but I really think he is going to keep Luck... I hope not..

I think this move indicates the opposite, that the Colts will take Luck and foolishly keep both on the roster, and the players and fan favorites like Wayne and Mathis will be gone... To make cap space for Manning and Luck... I wanted the Polians gone! But Irsay's comments have me thinking he is going to make some bad decisions...

But so far,he's made the right ones.I'm hoping he keeps it up.

.P.S.I've changed my mock.I'm going with D.Decastro at 4# overall after the tradedown.

.P.S.I've changed my mock.I'm going with D.Decastro at 4# overall after the tradedown.

Although he could probably be had at say #25 which would be Clevelands second pick? Lol... I like what Jedi.creech said, I really like that logic, hopefully Irsay is refering to trading the Luck pick as not a popular move!

Although he could probably be had at say #25 which would be Clevelands second pick? Lol... I like what Jedi.creech said, I really like that logic, hopefully Irsay is refering to trading the Luck pick as not a popular move!

I'm starting to think that your orginal proposal of us doing two tradedowns might become a reality.I'm scared to death that if we wait too long to draft 'DD' he'll be gone.I'm seen enough to warrent selecting him 4# overall,but of course i would love to get him at 8,15 or 25.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a crazy season read so much I can't remember it all, but I seem to remember Polian was the one who was saying NOT trading first pick... Did Jim I. ever say trading wasn't an option? Really feel what he means by not popular is trading to get more picks to rebuild team... Replacing one spot isn't quite rebuilding in my mind

I have a question just to understand both sides of the "Luck" argument. Are you guys for trading the pick and acquiring more picks or Anti-Luck? What I'm saying is if trading down meant losing out on RG3 & Luck, would you guys be opposed to taking a less proven college player that is more prone to bust for the picks.

Of course, this is assuming Manning is 85% or above.

I have a question just to understand both sides of the "Luck" argument. Are you guys for trading the pick and acquiring more picks or Anti-Luck? What I'm saying is if trading down meant losing out on RG3 & Luck, would you guys be opposed to taking a less proven college player that is more prone to bust for the picks.

I think there is talent outside of Luck.. and believe his bounty would bring more value to the Colts short and long term! The draft picks next year or the year after could be ammo to get a Tyler Bray, Matthew Barkley, Or Brock Osweiler in two years!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a crazy season read so much I can't remember it all, but I seem to remember Polian was the one who was saying NOT trading first pick... Did Jim I. ever say trading wasn't an option? Really feel what he means by not popular is trading to get more picks to rebuild team... Replacing one spot isn't quite rebuilding in my mind

Yeah Polian said it was absurd to trade the pick..then Irsay said we aren't going to find the next Manning anytime soon on the thursday night game interview...again I really hope your right!

Very good question... And if you read my post you would think I am pure Anti-Luck... In fact I don't know enough about him to be Anti-Luck, what I am against is A.) wasting a pick that sits for 2-4 years, and B.) Releasing (cause trade isn't possible) a known NFL future HOF'er for a player that's never taken a snap in NFL.... If Manning wasn't at 85% if reports came in that this surgery didn't "take".... If this was 2015, and Manning was coming up on his last year, and Luck was there I would be singing a different story.... I am only speaking for me, but I think that this most "Anti-Luck" kinda feel same.

I fully understand trading down could mean loosing Luck, and RG3, but again still same thing we don't need his replacement now, we need it when he is done, the trade down hope is for the holes in our team... Sorry if Manning is healthy QB is one of the only holes we DON'T have.

I think there is talent outside of Luck.. and believe his bounty would bring more value to the Colts short and long term! The draft picks next year or the year after could be ammo to get a Tyler Bray, Matthew Barkley, Or Brock Osweiler in two years!

Sounds good.

Just to be devil's advocate, say the trade partner is willing to give us a king's ransom but Matt (or any other good prospect) is projected to go #1 but we have the #3, would you still bite on the deal if we had this information?

Sounds good.

Just to be devil's advocate, say the trade partner is willing to give us a king's ransom but Matt (or any other good prospect) is projected to go #1 but we have the #3, would you still bite on the deal if we had this information?

Good point... but by that time wouldn't we have 2 first round picks to play with for trade if that was the direction? Trading this years pick gives us lots of options for future... What if we have first round next year due to trade?

Sounds good.

This is what I would do if I were GM.. trade the pick to hopefully Cleveland for their two first and their second this year... and at least their first and second next year.. and a first the following year. And if Barkley went #1 and the Colts had #3.. trading up wouldn't be too difficult, as the ammo would be there. But I think every year there is talent at the QB position.. I like Case Keenum as a late pick this year! That's someone who could sit four years and learn under Manning.. and not waste a #1 draft pick!

Very good question... And if you read my post you would think I am pure Anti-Luck... In fact I don't know enough about him to be Anti-Luck, what I am against is A.) wasting a pick that sits for 2-4 years, and B.) Releasing (cause trade isn't possible) a known NFL future HOF'er for a player that's never taken a snap in NFL.... If Manning wasn't at 85% if reports came in that this surgery didn't "take".... If this was 2015, and Manning was coming up on his last year, and Luck was there I would be singing a different story.... I am only speaking for me, but I think that this most "Anti-Luck" kinda feel same.

I fully understand trading down could mean loosing Luck, and RG3, but again still same thing we don't need his replacement now, we need it when he is done, the trade down hope is for the holes in our team... Sorry if Manning is healthy QB is one of the only holes we DON'T have.

I agree.

But this is what makes this conversation so touchy and hard to understand. I wish we KNEW what Peyton Manning is going through. Like, I wish it was a "Tom Brady" injury where we KNOW he will be back. As far as my opinion, I'm more in the middle. In order to make my decision, I want to see where Manning is. If he is unhealthy, draft Luck and let him sit. If Manning is ready, trade the pick and build.

As far as fears of both sides. If we draft Luck, I hope he doesn't bust. If we trade the pick, I hope it doesn't mean we miss out on RG3 or Barkley (Next year). I am really not comfortable with drafting a player like Moore THAT high and he might not be available if we let him slide back.

What do you think about trading down and swapping picks with Miami for their 1st and 2nd next year and their best DB, and then drafting Robert Griffin III?

I would trade down with Miami for their first and second this year, their first and second next year, maybe some other later picks and CB vontae Davis! But I think Griffin will be gone by their pick that we get in exchange... But this is a scenario I like and have proposed... If we trade the pick to Cleveland its for draft picks, if its to Miami/ Washington its for picks and players...

What do you think about trading down and swapping picks with Miami for their 1st and 2nd next year and their best DB, and then drafting Robert Griffin III?

Sounds good! (As long as RG3 can make it to us, otherwise there is no point in drafting any other QB not named Luck or Griffin in the first round)

Decastro isn't a top 5 pick geez. He's a late first rounder.

I've always heard that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Seems like that would apply to this Manning/Luck issue.

Maybe it boils down to either having the great Manning at QB for the next 3-5 years and a plethora of great picks in trade for our #1 and we spend the next 15 years after Manning trying to find a QB.

...or, we pick Luck and hope we he is what they say he is and that we can find players to make this a championship quality team again.

Can we really have both? If I were Luck I would take a serious look at what has happened to other #1 overall QB's that have been thrown directly into the fire with bad teams and consider the benefits of waiting to start behind Manning.

I am for whatever does'nt involve keeping them both for 3 years, it won't work, noway possible, in a peaceful way at least.

I believe we will take luck depending on how Peyton health is at the draft. Regardless i think they want luck as the colts future leader and from his comments sounds like hes commited to getting a future franchise QB with his pick this year. Building for the future from this draft forward is my guess.

I've always heard that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Seems like that would apply to this Manning/Luck issue.

Maybe it boils down to either having the great Manning at QB for the next 3-5 years and a plethora of great picks in trade for our #1 and we spend the next 15 years after Manning trying to find a QB.

...or, we pick Luck and hope we he is what they say he is and that we can find players to make this a championship quality team again.

Can we really have both? If I were Luck I would take a serious look at what has happened to other #1 overall QB's that have been thrown directly into the fire with bad teams and consider the benefits of waiting to start behind Manning.

Then that is having both... and even with rookie wage scale constraints, I don't think it makes sense to have over $20 million invested in a position where the Colts do not have a need... Let's face it, if Manning was healthy, we wouldn't be having this debate, we would assume he would have four more years! But if he returns healthy, why wouldn't he finish out his contract? With that being said you can't have both, its either Manning or Luck..

I believe we will take luck depending on how Peyton health is at the draft. Regardless i think they want luck as the colts future leader and from his comments sounds like hes commited to getting a future franchise QB with his pick this year. Building for the future from this draft forward is my guess.

How is that rebuilding? That seems to me Building around one player again...