Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 3 Colts Draft

Here is my latest version of the Colts draft based on their needs after week 3...

Round 1 Pick 22: Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 22: Dan Voltz, C, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 3 Pick 22: Josh Harvey-Clemons, SS/OLB, Louisville (B-)
Round 4 Pick 22: William Jackson III, CB, Houston (B+)
Round 5 Pick 21: Jonathan Jones, CB, Auburn (B+)
Round 6 Pick 22: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 7 Pick 2 (WASH): Antwaun Woods, DT, Southern California (B-)

The only thing I'd love to change is having OLB Jordan Jenkins available in round 3 instead of Clemons. Jenkins I think can be a very good overall OLB who can pass rush and set the edge.

I dont think there's any question that OL is our biggest need. I saw Mewhort get moved back to LG today and Reitz at RT, so RT is a bigger need now going into next offseason. Conklin fills in nicely there. Voltz could be a great RG for Indy and would give them the most talented OL they've had in some time.

I also think they should do away with Andre Johnson next offseason if his struggles continue. They should just allow the young talented WRs to play like Dorsett and Moncrief.

Here is my latest version of the Colts draft based on their needs after week 3...

Round 1 Pick 22: Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State (A-)

Round 2 Pick 22: Dan Voltz, C, Wisconsin (A+)

Round 3 Pick 22: Josh Harvey-Clemons, SS/OLB, Louisville (B-)

Round 4 Pick 22: William Jackson III, CB, Houston (B+)

Round 5 Pick 21: Jonathan Jones, CB, Auburn (B+)

Round 6 Pick 22: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma (A+)

Round 7 Pick 2 (WASH): Antwaun Woods, DT, Southern California (B-)

The only thing I'd love to change is having OLB Jordan Jenkins available in round 3 instead of Clemons. Jenkins I think can be a very good overall OLB who can pass rush and set the edge.

I dont think there's any question that OL is our biggest need. I saw Mewhort get moved back to LG today and Reitz at RT, so RT is a bigger need now going into next offseason. Conklin fills in nicely there. Voltz could be a great RG for Indy and would give them the most talented OL they've had in some time.

I also think they should do away with Andre Johnson next offseason if his struggles continue. They should just allow the young talented WRs to play like Dorsett and Moncrief.

I've been drafting on First-Pick as well and this is something I have done similar too. Voltz should be played as a C though. He is excellent at the position and would be the best C since Jeff Saturday for this team and Luck. With Mewhort moved back too Guard, Conklin is a solid option. I was able to get Jordan Jenkins in the 3rd a few times, it's just that it's more unlikely that it'll happen than likely. I like the CB drafting, though I will admit I know nothing about them yet besides the top few. Need to look at some tape before I pick the CB(s) that I'm comfortable with drafting. Woods was someone I was taking late as well. Good draft overall.

I think we should look at trading TY Hilton for Joel Bitonio. I love Hilton, but I think we will be better served adding a stud lineman and freeing up cap space to address the D and offensive line further. 

Depending on how the season plays out, I hope we trade back to accumulate picks to improve depth. 

The 2016 draft should be a GREAT draft for offensive linemen! Among the guys I really like later in round one/ early round 2 are: Cody Whitehair from Kansas State (similar to Joel Bitonio), Nick Martin from Notre Dame (center/guard versatility), and Landon Turner OG North Carolina. I would be interested in taking a look at Jason Spriggs OT Indiana in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

An underrated pass rusher we might be able to get around the 4th round is Kyler Fackrell from Utah State. 

I also like Deon Bush S Miami (FL). I am not sure he will last to our 2nd round pick. 

I think we should look at trading TY Hilton for Joel Bitonio. I love Hilton, but I think we will be better served adding a stud lineman and freeing up cap space to address the D and offensive line further. 

Depending on how the season plays out, I hope we trade back to accumulate picks to improve depth. 

The 2016 draft should be a GREAT draft for offensive linemen! Among the guys I really like later in round one/ early round 2 are: Cody Whitehair from Kansas State (similar to Joel Bitonio), Nick Martin from Notre Dame (center/guard versatility), and Landon Turner OG North Carolina. I would be interested in taking a look at Jason Spriggs OT Indiana in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

An underrated pass rusher we might be able to get around the 4th round is Kyler Fackrell from Utah State. 

I also like Deon Bush S Miami (FL). I am not sure he will last to our 2nd round pick. 

I came up with that Hilton for Botonio trade a while back, seems a lot of people are running with it now lol. I agree it would be a good trade still. This draft will be great for O-Lineman. Whitehair is someone I like as well, and as a guard, I don't think he'll be picked really high by another team. Martin I have as more of a late 2nd rounder. Solid Center, but I don't see him in the same league as Voltz. Turner I also have as a late 2nd rounder. Spriggs I agree is a 2nd to to 3rd round guy as of now. Lots of great options for us and I hope we get two of them in the first three rounds!

Round 1 Pick 22: Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State (A-)

Round 2 Pick 22: Dan Voltz, C, Wisconsin (A+)

Round 3 Pick 22: Josh Harvey-Clemons, SS/OLB, Louisville (B-)

Round 4 Pick 22: William Jackson III, CB, Houston (B+)

Round 5 Pick 21: Jonathan Jones, CB, Auburn (B+)

Round 6 Pick 22: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma (A+)

Round 7 Pick 2 (WASH): Antwaun Woods, DT, Southern California (B-)

The only thing I'd love to change is having OLB Jordan Jenkins available in round 3 instead of Clemons. Jenkins I think can be a very good overall OLB who can pass rush and set the edge.

Jordan Jenkins is good but Floyd is the better pure pass rusher of that Georgia duo. But we need to OLBs IMO, a Strong side and a Sam. I like Floyd a a pure pass rusher. He reminds me of Dion Jordan and Aldon Smith minus the off the field issues.

A guy I like at Sam whose poor play could see him slip is Shilique Calhoun. Remember how big his name was a year ago? He hasn't really made any impact at MSU as of late, but he's a freak athletically and has tons of upside.

I came up with that Hilton for Botonio trade a while back, seems a lot of people are running with it now lol. I agree it would be a good trade still. This draft will be great for O-Lineman. Whitehair is someone I like as well, and as a guard, I don't think he'll be picked really high by another team. Martin I have as more of a late 2nd rounder. Solid Center, but I don't see him in the same league as Voltz. Turner I also have as a late 2nd rounder. Spriggs I agree is a 2nd to to 3rd round guy as of now. Lots of great options for us and I hope we get two of them in the first three rounds!

Thing ya have to remember is we won't be drafting by need. It's gonna be BPA,which I know people don't like to hear. We just have to hope that player our staff feels is the BPA at our pick happens to be a player at one of the position we need big time help at.

I think we need to address edge rusher in free agency. We need to get an impact pass rusher like Von Miller. But yeah. I love the back to back OL in the 1st and 2nd. I'd go RB in the 3rd.

You arn't likely to get a good impact edge rusher in FA.  Our best chances there would be the fingerless JPP or the constantly in trouble Aldon Smith.  

Honestly I think our best chances in FA are perhaps a RG and a CB2.  Neither of which are terribly costly.  

I would then go RT, Safety, OLB in draft.

Thing ya have to remember is we won't be drafting by need. It's gonna be BPA,which I know people don't like to hear. We just have to hope that player our staff feels is the BPA at our pick happens to be a player at one of the position we need big time help at.

That's very true. The good thing is there are so many solid O-Lineman that I think it may end up being BPA for us anyway. We'll have to see how the draft shapes up in the upcoming months (who rises and falls, our draft position, what player positions become better as the college season progresses, and pro days and such).

You arn't likely to get a good impact edge rusher in FA.  Our best chances there would be the fingerless JPP or the constantly in trouble Aldon Smith.  

Honestly I think our best chances in FA are perhaps a RG and a CB2.  Neither of which are terribly costly.  

I would then go RT, Safety, OLB in draft.

I'm guessing this means you are in favor of Mewhort being at LG?

And there in lies the problem it should be BPA that makes sense for your team.  We need OL, DB, LB and we need them BAD.  We need starter quality 2 OL, 3 DB, and 4 LB.  So pick the BPA among those position groups and if you don't think the guys available at those positions are worth the pick then trade down.  

Don't pick another freaking WR in the 1st.  

I think that's his best position.  He can play at RT in a pinch and do a decent job but there are probably guys out there in the draft who are more natural for the tackle position.

I do think there are a lot of Tackles in the draft this year we could take in the first round. That would probably help a lot more and we can keep the left side of the O-Line solidified with Mewhort and Constanzo.