Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The New Colts... hopefully

Lucky Colts Fan

I actually liked what Pep was doing with Gore quite a bit out of the Shotgun with those hand off sweeps to the right or whatever that play is. It's great that he's utilizing this because it makes it more difficult for teams to load the box against the run. Plus if they declare more to the outside Luck can audible and  switch the play to an inside zone/read option type of play and gash them on the inside if need be.  It's also a good formation to do play action passing off of, and it causes a bit of hesitation from the defense to bring the blitz.  Gore is one hell of a back I'll say that!

Pep Hamilton wont keep this up you know that.   :sigh:

He's been doing it since the Jets game so we'll see.  I think he will because he's got a back he can trust now.

Pep came to this team loving to run the football.  We just haven't had the backs to do it, but I see where you're coming from though.  I have a little bit more faith now that he'll keep feeding Gore.

Titans almost had 100 yds rushing

We held them to 88 yds, even though they had a big lead late and kept trying to kill clock and they have a mobile QB that should have gashed us for more.  They only averaged 3.3 yds/carry.  The Colts averaged 5.8 yds/carry.  That's pretty good, but more importantly, they stopped the run when it counted.  On the goalline.

He's been doing it since the Jets game so we'll see.  I think he will because he's got a back he can trust now.

Pep came to this team loving to run the football.  We just haven't had the backs to do it, but I see where you're coming from though.  I have a little bit more faith now that he'll keep feeding Gore.

My patients is running thin with Pep, I hope you are right

Which ties back in to the OLine making better decisions.  They correct that, Gore looks even better.

Yes!  I didn't intend to shine negativity on Gore in anyway.  Gore has even surpassed my expectations this season.  Granted he did have that one fumble, that is about the only thing that can be held against him thus far.  I don't forsee that happening again.  The guy holds himself in high regards, and is very critical on himself... That's probably why he has been so successful throughout his career.

I'd like to point out something.

During the Manning years, the main complaint from fans was lack of defense, specifically a defense that couldn't stop the run.  Another major complaint was the lack of running game to go along with Mannings' incredible passing attack.

NOW... We actually have a defense that can stop the run.  The DLine is turning into the strength of our defense (with 2 rookies, no less). 

We have a running game.  Gore has shown that our OLine isn't as bad as everyone insisted when TRich was embarassing everybody wearing a horseshoe.

The weakness in this team seems to be poor play-calling from some coaches, and poor decisions from some players (most notably Luck, and OLine holding penalties).

It appears that we have a well-balanced roster.  If the coaching and play-calling steadily improve this season, we COULD get another Lombardi.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but it seems like Irsay gave the fans what we've been clamoring for, and we just need everything to gel in time for a playoff run.

Not to take anything away from Gore, or to credit Trent, but Mewhort has a season under his belt.  There isn't a new center anchoring the line ever other game, and as a result you don't see 2 people in the backfield before the RB can make it to the line of scrimmage.  There are also bigger holes.  Gore has MUCH better vision but let's not act like the run blocking was that good the last 2 seasons.

People want to say Boom was so good, however his stats was barely over 4 ypc, really not a whole lot better, plus he fumbled a lot.  That is why we drafted a rookie and an UFA are on the roster and not him.  I do realize he had health issues, but nothing that would lead the Colts to cut him if he was as good as everybody thought.

I'm certain next season will be the year to grab some linemen

Grigson being in a contract year, there's no way he doesn't invest HEAVILY in offensive linemen, if for no other reason than to save his own job. He's on thin ice with the fanbase as is, and his seat is only getting hotter the more Irsay has to watch his QB get manhandled. I can honestly see Irsay telling him to "draft o-line, or find a new job."

We still don't have a defense. Didn't we let up like 400 yards?

I don't know if I would go as far to say we don't have a defense.  Good chunks of the yardage that shows up on the stat sheets come during the times the defense has been gassed due to the offense going back to back on 3 and outs.  If the offense could just get a first down (or obviously more) per drive, I think we would be looking at a good defense. 

Not to mention it would be nice to get our 2nd, 3rd or 4th CB back on the field.

When they have to resort to 3rd, 4th, and 5th string corners playing soft zone the whole game, that's bound to happen.

Just saw this after I posted.  We were actually playing with our 5th, 6th and 7th.  Which makes that even more impressive.

[2nd - Toler, 3rd - Butler, 4th - Smith all out during that game]

Agreed. Not going to comment about a Lombardi at this point though, because there's just too many unanswered questions. We need to get a pass rush in the worst way. We can't possibly expect that Mathis is going to turn in the numbers that he did in 2013. We also need to come into EVERY game with the emotion exhibited in the 4th quarter of this Titans game- no excuses.

This is my biggest concern pass rush. I think we get better when we can press more.

I'm not sure we can beat the elite teams with Pep in charge of play calling He kills the O wears out the D he's just clueless not sure why anyone would think a light will come on now or that there's even a light

I feel bad for Pagano having to put up with the guy. Man Az offense looks good that was Pagano's OC.

He had himself a staff. It's too bad I think he has it right with Chud but we won't get to see it.

We DO have a good OLine, at run-blocking.  We DID have a good OLine with Manning, at pass-blocking.  You can't have 5 linemen that are great at run and pass blocking.  I'd challenge you to name a 5-man, AFFORDABLE OLine that can run and pass block.  I'll keep saying it, if Luck and the OLine stop making bad decisions, especially in the passing game, this OLine will look dominant.

Name 2 linemen on the Pats.  They somehow win because Tom Brady dinks and dunks better than anybody.  Everybody knows they're gonna dink and dunk, yet they still do it.  Double Gronk and cover the short routes, and the pats just start throwing screens.  They're the best at killing defenses 3 yds at a time. 

We NEED to start dinking and dunking effectively.  Get the ball out quickly like Manning used to do, and the OLine looks great.  Hold on to the ball waiting for the deep throw (Pep) and you take sacks and the OLine looks terrible.  Not to mention, that's how you lose your franchise QB to a big hit...

This O line isn't equipped to allow big plays to form downfield, good post.

We will be ok, don't worry about it people and enjoy todays victory. A very nice Division win on the road. It's a 16 game season, not a 2 game season, 3 game season, etc.. It's a marathon not a sprint. Time to take care of business now and shut the haters up! We are going to blow the doors off of Jacks, I have no doubt we win the next game.

That is true. A win does feel better. However, how will we respond to NE especially when we face them again in the post season when games really matter? I guess you could use the argument that early growing pains make a team stronger down the stretch. I just wanna see a statement game where we rise up & defeat a squad last year that crushed us last season like Pittsburgh or Atlanta who is smoking hot on offense right now. 

This isn't hate just concerns over whether we can hang with the alpha dogs as November rolls around. Will we see Tennessee or Jacksonville in the post season? No. Have we ever? No. So pardon me if beating the Titans doesn't excite & enthrall me at the moment. 

Okay, Steve McNair with the Titans got to the SB in 1999 vs the Rams & Jags QB David Garrard made the playoffs 2008 I believe but neither team has been there in awhile. 

That is true. A win does feel better. However, how will we respond to NE especially when we face them again in the post season when games really matter? I guess you could use the argument that early growing pains make a team stronger down the stretch. I just wanna see a statement game where we rise up & defeat a squad last year that crushed us last season like Pittsburgh or Atlanta who is smoking hot on offense right now. 

This isn't hate just concerns over whether we can hang with the alpha dogs as November rolls around. Will we see Tennessee or Jacksonville in the post season? No. Have we ever? No. So pardon me if beating the Titans doesn't excite & enthrall me at the moment. 

Okay, Steve McNair with the Titans got to the SB in 1999 vs the Rams & Jags QB David Garrard made the playoffs 2008 I believe but neither team has been there in awhile. 

It is a huge concern. I have to see how we play against the Jags and Texans first before I can decide how we will play against Tommy and crew. A lot can happen in 2 weeks.

TRich is the ONLY RB to perform poorly behind this line, so our OLine is good at run-blocking, but not so much at pass-blocking.  This is the opposite of how our OLine performed with Manning, they could pass-block, but couldn't run-block.

Let's see a few more weeks of 80+ yards rushing by Gore and a touchdown before we get ahead of ourselves. 

It is a huge concern. I have to see how we play against the Jags and Texans first before I can decide how we will play against Tommy and crew. A lot can happen in 2 weeks.

In fairness to you 06CBE, I constantly have to remind myself that our success last year doesn't mean that we will make it back to the AFC Championship Game or take that elusive final step to the big dance. Even quarters or halves can take on a life of their own as both the Cowboys & Falcons will attest to. 

Your advice is timely & wise. Thank you. Think in terms of baby steps or short term projections as opposed to the daunting task of getting back to the game before the SB. Crawl, walk, run. I appreciate the reminder.  :thmup:

In fairness to you 06CBE, I constantly have to remind myself that our success last year doesn't mean that we will make it back to the AFC Championship Game or take that elusive final step to the big dance. Even quarters or halves can take on a life of their own as both the Cowboys & Falcons will attest to. 

Your advice is timely & wise. Thank you. Think in terms of baby steps or short term projections as opposed to the daunting task of getting back to the game before the SB. Crawl, walk, run. I appreciate the reminder.  :thmup:

Yeah I just want to take it 1 week at a time. The team almost gave me heart attack on Sunday. I couldn't even watch some of the plays LOL. I am glad we won that because if Andrew didn't pull his magic again along with Lowery's great play our season would be over. I think now it can turn around. That's how huge 1 win can be. I had to pull out my bottle of Tums and look away haha